Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,494
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: bill oxner] #8250659 04/28/21 12:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just saw a TV commercial advertising a 2% commission. I'd prefer that Cathy would sell mine after I expire.

"2% Commissions | Save $1000s - Sell Your Home | 2% Commission
Sell Your Home - Top 1% Local Real Estate Agents. Save Thousands In Commissions Today. Skip The Unwanted Stress Of Selling Your Home - Get As Low As 2% In Commissions Today. Save $10,000's. A+ BBB Rating. Best Local Realtors. Top 1% of Agents. Save 1000s. Easy, 100% Free Service."

The going rate was just 3% when the wife and I bought our current home over 20 years ago. It's easy to see how online forces will put downward pressure on those asking more.

It brings to mind what a salesman once told me years ago. "A percentage of something is better than a percentage of nothing."

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/28/21 12:35 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: bill oxner] #8250694 04/28/21 01:12 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I just saw a TV commercial advertising a 2% commission. I'd prefer that Cathy would sell mine after I expire.

"2% Commissions | Save $1000s - Sell Your Home | 2% Commission
Sell Your Home - Top 1% Local Real Estate Agents. Save Thousands In Commissions Today. Skip The Unwanted Stress Of Selling Your Home - Get As Low As 2% In Commissions Today. Save $10,000's. A+ BBB Rating. Best Local Realtors. Top 1% of Agents. Save 1000s. Easy, 100% Free Service."

I checked them out.........So much BS........in a nut shell, they take 2% and you have to talk your buyer into paying his realtor fees..........that is laughable.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: bill oxner] #8250702 04/28/21 01:22 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Yes, it would be much better to sell it after you expire, rather than before you expire.........

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250735 04/28/21 01:51 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
With so much information and services now available from the Internet, is there still a need to have a real estate agent handle the sale of your home? I've always thought it was the title companies that did most of the heavy lifting when comes to home sales.

It really depends on the person selling the house. If they are knowledgeable enough to know current values, weed through and negotiate with buyers, draft a valid sales contract and get everything to the title company then maybe not. Today's market seems easy for houses but getting the best sales price needs some expertise. Sometimes FSBO is like putting your phone # directly on Craigslist, you get every crackpot with a scheme calling you. That and most sellers are the worst sales people, that's why real estate agents do not want the owners there when they show a house.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Hudbone] #8250982 04/28/21 05:32 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Last fall on my most recent purchase, my realtor saved me $62,500 from a price I had already verbally agreed to with the seller - true fact. This is in one of the hottest real estate markets in the country. I coulda made it all work well with the price I had verbally agreed to. Working a whole lots better now.

Choose them wisely. Realtors should know the market and perform a service. I despise dealing with tire kickers.

Lots of rocket surgeons on here. Too many will try to shave off dollars here and there becoming ignorantly willing to do themselves greater financial harm.

Edit - I work. I do not fix my own vehicles. I spend a lot of time & attention on my avocation which allows me little access to being a jack of other and most certainly of all trades. Some of yous can do it, but you may be better equipped than myself or just have more expendable time.

"Edit - I work. I do not fix my own vehicles. I spend a lot of time & attention on my avocation which allows me little access to being a jack of other and most certainly of all trades. Some of yous can do it, but you may be better equipped than myself or just have more expendable time."

^^^This from Hud covers this topic and many more for me. I have only so much time and I dont spend it trying to learn how to do things that others know how to do. Exceptions to every rule, but generally this is how I roll.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250985 04/28/21 05:37 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Same as bankers, you either fit the parameters or you don't.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8250992 04/28/21 05:44 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Without reading any of the topic. Whatever Texasdan says. Do the opposite.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: ducknbass] #8251027 04/28/21 06:39 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Without reading any of the topic. Whatever Texasdan says. Do the opposite.

clap

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: txtrophy85] #8251073 04/28/21 08:15 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by 2Beez
When you have good agents in your corner I see is as a benefit. I see plenty of dumb agents too.

There are dumb in every profession.....dumb cops, dumb attorneys, dumb doctors, dumb engineers, dumb teachers, dumb painters, dumb electricians.....you get the point

I am an appraiser so you hate me from the word go. I get it. I see it all and call it like I see it. It is what it is.

I don’t hate appraisers. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship I have with appraisers.

Wish more brokers saw it as mutually beneficial. I’m appraising an approximately $5 million commercial site for a company in San Antonio now. Talked to a broker yesterday who had two slam dunk comps for me said he needed to pull his file call him back the next afternoon... I called this afternoon, same number I’m positive and it’s disconnected for some reason. I find a lot more brokers and agents like to say they don’t hate appraisers than actually do. He was friendly as all get out on the phone, but... I’ve been told no before, if he was t willing to help wish he would have just said so.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8251124 04/28/21 09:34 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I will prolly expire early. Round-up you know. Selling my house would then left to Cathy.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: bill oxner] #8251138 04/28/21 09:47 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I will prolly expire early. Round-up you know. Selling my house would then left to Cathy.

My neighbor is about your age. He worked in agriculture most his life and swears it's the Round-Up that keeps him healthy. He suggests a dab behind the ears every few days to keep Covid away. You and him might get along, he grew up in Tennessee and is a cousin of Lester Flatt. He too picked cotton as a kid and likes to ramble about simpler times. He's a good man.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: TexFlip] #8251161 04/28/21 09:57 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TexFlip

My neighbor is about your age. He worked in agriculture most his life and swears it's the Round-Up that keeps him healthy. He suggests a dab behind the ears every few days to keep Covid away. You and him might get along, he grew up in Tennessee and is a cousin of Lester Flatt. He too picked cotton as a kid and likes to ramble about simpler times. He's a good man.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8251295 04/29/21 12:04 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
How come you’re not looking at the camera, Bill.

Was you thinking....if she keeps touching me like that we’re going to end up with another Cathy? wink

On a serious note, I think that’s a new picture and thanks for sharing. Beautiful American family!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: txtrophy85] #8251313 04/29/21 12:26 AM
W
WT_Foxtrot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Its proven that most FSBO's sell for less than properties that are listed with an Agent. That is a proven fact. Most homeowners don't have access to the same comps and information that Agents have and with home sales, most FSBO's leave money on the table, oftentimes more than enough to cover the cost of the Selling Agents commission.

The Average homeowner is not savvy enough to perform a sale at the same level of performance as a seasoned Agent. Some certainly can, most can't. A Person who has sold 2-3 homes themselves is not seasoned, a good agent can sell that in a Week. The dealing with showings, inspections, negotiations, etc.....all fall on the Sellers shoulders and that is where a lot of the value of the Agent lies.

As far as commission splits, they are always negotiable but remember, you get what you pay for.

Not knocking RE agents at all and have consistently used them whether selling personal homesteads or investment properties over the years. Y'all do serve a valuable purpose in most cases. However I have sold a couple FSBO, which also worked out good. But the last two personal homes I sold, both agents wanted me to ask roughly 15% less than I wanted to. I know real estate fairly well and felt I knew the current market. They argued and one almost backed out of the listing. But I insisted on my price being at least a starting point and felt confident. One sold at ask in 3 weeks and one over ask in 3 days. And this was 2007 and 2010 respectively, so not like today's crazy market where anything is possible.

Both were "astonished" that I got such a good price whereas I wasn't surprised at all. In fact, thought I might have left a little on the table. And these are both VERY established, experienced and well-known agents in my area, not some newbie or friend just getting started in the business cutting me a deal. At least in those instances, it would have cost me a bundle to listen to them and not listen to myself.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: TexFlip] #8251341 04/29/21 12:42 AM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

did he plow mules though? lol

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: bill oxner] #8251349 04/29/21 12:50 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

[Linked Image]

Love the picture Bill, as usual.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: BigPig] #8251366 04/29/21 01:04 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by LFD2037
These people say they'll do ~95% of what a real estate agent does, including MLS listings & showing services, for $1,295.
https://www.flatfeegroup.com/Texas/

Anybody ever use one of these flat rate fee companies before?

There is a reason you don’t see more of them. And that’s not 95% of what a Realtor does, they are doing maybe 5%

I also like how they advertise that it will be listed on Zillow, Realtor, Trullia. etc. that costs nothing and is simply a click of the button to allow syndicated companies to take your listing off MLS and post it to their site.

You read their site wrong. Nothing against you but I’m not going to take advice from a realtor on why it’s a bad idea to not use a realtor. I’d be an idiot to follow your advise on this subject.
Like the other guy said, last house I sold I insisted on listing it for $45K more than what the first realtor suggested. She wouldn’t listen to me so I picked another one. Sign in the yard on Saturday to go live online on Monday. Had 3 offers Monday morning before it hit online. Sold it for $40K more than the realtor said it would sell for, to a cash buyer, before it was even listed on MLS and this was in 2105.
Realtors want to do the least amount of work for the most amount of money. I’m friends with several of them and they’ve explained how it all goes down. It’s a ripoff at best and a sham at worst.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: bill oxner] #8251383 04/29/21 01:10 AM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

[Linked Image]

Did you feel a desire to chop that cotton?

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: Texas Dan] #8251705 04/29/21 11:39 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
The Department of Justice actually encourage more competition for RE sales commissions, so they will be more competitive.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: RedRanger] #8251743 04/29/21 12:18 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by RedRanger
The Department of Justice actually encourage more competition for RE sales commissions, so they will be more competitive.

The DOJ? What the hell do they have to do with it? I could see HUD but the DOJ?

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: LFD2037] #8251754 04/29/21 12:24 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

https://www.justice.gov/atr/competition-and-real-estate-0

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: RedRanger] #8251814 04/29/21 01:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

The DOJ has more important things to worry about than Real Estate Commissions.

Shouldn't even be on their radar

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: txtrophy85] #8251835 04/29/21 01:40 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

The DOJ has more important things to worry about than Real Estate Commissions.

Shouldn't even be on their radar

Taking more money from the people that earned it and redistubing it to leech voters is going to be on every Federal department's radar.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: LFD2037] #8251878 04/29/21 02:12 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BigPig
These people say they'll do ~95% of what a real estate agent does, including MLS listings & showing services, for $1,295.
https://www.flatfeegroup.com/Texas/

Anybody ever use one of these flat rate fee companies before?

There is a reason you don’t see more of them. And that’s not 95% of what a Realtor does, they are doing maybe 5%

I also like how they advertise that it will be listed on Zillow, Realtor, Trullia. etc. that costs nothing and is simply a click of the button to allow syndicated companies to take your listing off MLS and post it to their site.

You read their site wrong. Nothing against you but I’m not going to take advice from a realtor on why it’s a bad idea to not use a realtor. I’d be an idiot to follow your advise on this subject.
Like the other guy said, last house I sold I insisted on listing it for $45K more than what the first realtor suggested. She wouldn’t listen to me so I picked another one. Sign in the yard on Saturday to go live online on Monday. Had 3 offers Monday morning before it hit online. Sold it for $40K more than the realtor said it would sell for, to a cash buyer, before it was even listed on MLS and this was in 2105.
Realtors want to do the least amount of work for the most amount of money. I’m friends with several of them and they’ve explained how it all goes down. It’s a ripoff at best and a sham at worst.

In true fireman fashion, you know it all and are the smartest person in here. No need for anybody else to comment. rolleyes

Selling to a cash buyer has nothing to do with how a Realtor prices homes. That just means somebody dumber than you over paid. There is a reason the Realtors you hired suggested the price they suggested, and I’m sure it wasn’t because listing it higher was more work.

What if the realtor suggested you list at $350,000 based on her knowledge of the area and the comps, but you insisted you know it’s worth $390,000 and the realtor lists it for that. Here comes a buyer, y’all get a contract for $390,000 and then here comes the appraiser, appraiser says it doesn’t meet value. Your realtor argues with the appraiser but in the end he doesn’t budge and the buyer walks away. Who are you going to be mad at?

I’m sorry your friends aren’t good realtors, it’s true that most of them are lazy. I pride myself in the fact that all my business comes from referrals of past clients.

Re: Are real estate agents still necessary? [Re: LFD2037] #8251883 04/29/21 02:14 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Price fixing comes to mind. Along with fraud. But what do I know confused2

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide