Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gun counter advise #8249482 04/27/21 02:38 AM
G
Gw123 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
I know some of y’all have been told or heard some gem dandies. What’s the most ridiculous, idiotic, or down right dumb things you’ve heard from gun counter employees?

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249531 04/27/21 03:20 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Advice

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249602 04/27/21 11:14 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
If buying at the counter I know what I want. The person behind the counter is there to begin the transaction, that is all. I don't listen to much they have to say.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249608 04/27/21 11:22 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't buy at the store.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249671 04/27/21 12:20 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Academy had a good sale on the cheap Model 700 a few years ago, they were under $299.00 I was ready to build a 260 Ackley, and went there to buy one for the action. I asked for any of the on sale models in a short action, and when the deer in the headlight look appeared on the guys face, I said .243 will work. A lecture was started on how it was ok for deer but not hogs. I handed him my LTC and said I came for a rifle, not hunting advise. As he was walking it out of the store, he reminded me I would be disappointed if I hunted hogs with it.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249710 04/27/21 12:57 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I am reminded of the bumper sticker..... “ Please Take My Advise....I ‘m Not Using It”
Sounds like something all political folks use for Covid guidance

Last edited by DStroud; 04/27/21 01:00 PM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: GasGuzzler] #8249713 04/27/21 01:01 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
I don't buy at the store.

i only buy at one store and it's nearby. They don't offer advice and since I've been buying and selling guns longer the the courter person has been alive that's a good thing.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249733 04/27/21 01:21 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I'll walk off if they start yacking at me. But I have overhead them telling others some scary/stupid stuff.

'What you need is a 6.5 CM, it's a lot more powerful than a .270 or .308'

'You really can't save any money with handloads because factory ammo is more consistent/powerful. They use special powder that we (the public) can't get.'

'You should buy the 12 gauge. In a pinch, you can shoot 20 ga in a 12, but not the other way around. It's more versatile.'

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8249825 04/27/21 03:01 PM
G
Gw123 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'll walk off if they start yacking at me. But I have overhead them telling others some scary/stupid stuff.

'What you need is a 6.5 CM, it's a lot more powerful than a .270 or .308'

'You really can't save any money with handloads because factory ammo is more consistent/powerful. They use special powder that we (the public) can't get.'

'You should buy the 12 gauge. In a pinch, you can shoot 20 ga in a 12, but not the other way around. It's more versatile.'

That last one is pretty scary for someone who may just be getting into hunting or shooting

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249873 04/27/21 03:40 PM
D
Dove Murderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I was once told by the Academy gun-counter guy that elephants are easily killed with a 22lr.

Intrigued....I asked how.

He said you shoot them in one of those “big ole” veins in the ear. The vein then carries the bullet to the heart and stops it.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249877 04/27/21 03:44 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
my favorite was a guy that told me I wanted a 17 HMR for deer hunting. Academy gun counters are the best.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8249957 04/27/21 04:53 PM
J
jhunter77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I went to Cabela's to buy my wife a 357 revolver, which she wanted, I didn't pick it out for her but it was gonna be her 18th anniversary gift. The "gentleman" behind the counter began to tell me that a 357 is too much for my wife and I should consider getting her a 38 instead. I asked him how many times he had watched my wife shoot my 44 mag?.?. He then insisted the recoil is much worse in the 357...as he rambled my 16 year old daughter said "daddy this guy knows zero about guns, when are we leaving"? We walked off. I went to Academy told the kid that I deal with regularly my wanted a 357 he laughed and said of she does.
She'd go into Academy and buys ammo all the time when we were going to the range and had bought a lot of big bore ammo so he knows she'll shoot anything you hand her.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: jhunter77] #8249965 04/27/21 05:05 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by jhunter77
I went to Cabela's to buy my wife a 357 revolver, which she wanted, I didn't pick it out for her but it was gonna be her 18th anniversary gift. The "gentleman" behind the counter began to tell me that a 357 is too much for my wife and I should consider getting her a 38 instead. I asked him how many times he had watched my wife shoot my 44 mag?.?. He then insisted the recoil is much worse in the 357...as he rambled my 16 year old daughter said "daddy this guy knows zero about guns, when are we leaving"? We walked off. I went to Academy told the kid that I deal with regularly my wanted a 357 he laughed and said of she does.
She'd go into Academy and buys ammo all the time when we were going to the range and had bought a lot of big bore ammo so he knows she'll shoot anything you hand her.

LOL. My 77 year old Mother still carries her 357 on occasion. I can't remember the exact conversation, but I was at Academy once and overheard a conversation between the counter person and someone who was asking firearm advice. I do remember that the advice was so awful that I stepped in with "I apologize for interrupting, but I overheard your conversation and want to make sure the you get the correct facts..."

I should really write these things down when they happen so that I can post them when these threads come up.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250033 04/27/21 06:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I always do my best to research my purchase decisions for big ticket items before I go to the store to buy them. I also believe just about everyone has useful information to share that comes from their own experience. That's also true of salespeople who see a lot of buyers and hear what they have to say about certain products. No matter the situation, you always learn more by asking legitimate questions, rather than trying to come off as the know-it-all. It can lead to answers and useful information that's seldom offered to others. In other words, you can come off as a prick and leave with nothing more than you knew when you came into the store, or you can be respectful and possibly learn something of value that you never thought about.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/27/21 06:48 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Texas Dan] #8250040 04/27/21 06:52 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I always do my best to research my purchase decisions for big ticket items before I go to the store to buy them. I also believe just about everyone has useful information to share that comes from their own experience. That's also true of salespeople who see a lot of buyers and hear what they have to say about certain products. No matter the situation, you always learn more by asking legitimate questions, rather than trying to come off as the know-it-all. It can lead to answers and useful information that's seldom offered to others. In other words, you can come off as a prick and leave with nothing more than you knew when you came into the store, or you can be respectful and possibly learn something of value that you never thought about.

Like how to kill an elephant with a .22 by shooting it in a vien? Or that you can indeed shoot 20 shells in a 12 guage in a pinch? Some people just don't need to be giving gun advice. Period.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: unclebubba] #8250060 04/27/21 07:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Like how to kill an elephant with a .22 by shooting it in a vien? Or that you can indeed shoot 20 shells in a 12 guage in a pinch? Some people just don't need to be giving gun advice. Period.

There's a lot more useful information about buying a gun than what you know about the gun itself. What goes on behind the scenes in any business can be very useful for a multitude of reasons. This is especially true during today's shortages guns, ammo, and so many things. I've had clerks tell me when something is about to go on sale, or when new stock is set to arrive. Do you think they're going to offer that information to someone who comes off as a prick?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/27/21 07:11 PM.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Texas Dan] #8250086 04/27/21 07:39 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

There's a lot more useful information about buying a gun than what you know about the gun itself. What goes on behind the scenes in any business can be very useful for a multitude of reasons. This is especially true during today's shortages guns, ammo, and so many things. I've had clerks tell me when something is about to go on sale, or when new stock is set to arrive. Do you think they're going to offer that information to someone who comes off as a prick?

No. I would not recommend coming off as a prick, but when terrible, inept and blatently false info comes out of the mouth of a clerk, it should be corrected. If that makes me a prick, than I'm a prick.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250092 04/27/21 07:45 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
I have heard all kinds of crap over the years, but I decided long ago to not interfere. If someone is lapping up bad advice, I just let them. How could I possibly know more than an expert at the gun bar.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: RJH1] #8250107 04/27/21 08:08 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by RJH1
I have heard all kinds of crap over the years, but I decided long ago to not interfere. If someone is lapping up bad advice, I just let them. How could I possibly know more than an expert at the gun bar.

Let's say that you were a newbie gun owner and just bought your first pistol. Let's say it is a 9mm M&P. And the gun counter guy points you towards the 9mm makarov ammo and says "this will work in your gun. 9mm is 9mm. It's all the ammo we have right now". Would you want the experienced guy that overhears the conversation to speak up?

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: unclebubba] #8250119 04/27/21 08:22 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R

Let's say that you were a newbie gun owner and just bought your first pistol. Let's say it is a 9mm M&P. And the gun counter guy points you towards the 9mm makarov ammo and says "this will work in your gun. 9mm is 9mm. It's all the ammo we have right now". Would you want the experienced guy that overhears the conversation to speak up?

The problem is the word "experienced." I've seen plenty of "experienced" gun owners the don't know crap. The noob will also generally end up taking the word of the gun store guy over the random guy in the gun store. It tends to be a waste of breath. Plus if you can't read 9 Luger on the side of your pistol and understand that nine Makarov is not the same thing, maybe you should do a little research. If random gun Noob ask me, I will give them the correct answer though. But many times people just take advice of who they think they should take the advice from, there's no real helping those people LOL

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250124 04/27/21 08:28 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Do you think coming off as a know-it-all will encourage the guy behind the counter to bring out a second model of the rifle you're buying so you can see which wood stock you like better?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/27/21 08:29 PM.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Texas Dan] #8250255 04/27/21 10:31 PM
J
jsteve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Do you think coming off as a know-it-all will encourage the guy behind the counter to bring out a second model of the rifle you're buying so you can see which wood stock you like better?

If they want to sell a gun they will. If not, he aint the only game in town.
I'm not sure why you are so adamant about defending the BS that "gun bar" guys spew to customers who may or may not know any different. What has been said so far about what has been overheard borders on needin an arse whoopin.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: RJH1] #8250265 04/27/21 10:41 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

The problem is the word "experienced." I've seen plenty of "experienced" gun owners the don't know crap. The noob will also generally end up taking the word of the gun store guy over the random guy in the gun store. It tends to be a waste of breath. Plus if you can't read 9 Luger on the side of your pistol and understand that nine Makarov is not the same thing, maybe you should do a little research. If random gun Noob ask me, I will give them the correct answer though. But many times people just take advice of who they think they should take the advice from, there's no real helping those people LOL

Or maybe speaking up will cause the guy behind the counter to question himself and then do research to find the correct answer. To each his own. I'll still speak up if I hear blatantly bad advice. Now if it is advice that can be subjective but I disagree with, like 380 is better then 9mm, I will usually keep my mouth shut.

Re: Gun counter advise [Re: Gw123] #8250309 04/27/21 11:35 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
I was told once at Cabelas that I couldn’t purchase a handgun since I lived in Japan. Even though I'm a Texas resident and my Texas ID said so. I was home visiting from Japan, it wasn’t my first gun I bought while being over seas. The guy was serious about my residency being Japan, I informed him about my home of record being Texas. Nothing worked, so just gave up and went to a local store and bought the same gun.

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun counter advise [Re: unclebubba] #8250329 04/28/21 12:00 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Or maybe speaking up will cause the guy behind the counter to question himself and then do research to find the correct answer.

rofl

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide