Page 1 of 2 1 2
It's much closer than we might believe #8246845 04/23/21 09:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
While it's currently illegal in 38 states, there appears to be evidence, at least to me, that internet hunting could be something that hunters will demand in the future. After all, we're already seeing practices in the field that leverage a great deal of technology and mechanical assistance to shoot deer.

I just happened across a show on one of the outdoor channels where an able-bodied guy was using a tripod and specialized gun vise to hold and steady his rifle when shooting a deer. Now if you ask me, he might just as well been looking at the screen of his phone and pushing a button to make that shot. It would only seem logical that as this type of setup becomes more commonplace, there will be those who want to take it to the next logical step through internet hunting. IMHO, the only difference in these two setups is the physical presence of the shooter.

Is it time we put the brakes on the progression towards internet hunting by putting restrictions on what equipment able-bodied people can use to shoot wild game?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/23/21 09:42 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8246869 04/23/21 09:46 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
We do not suffer from a shortage of laws; we don't need more. IMHO few people would choose to hunt via automation, fewer still by remote control.

Carried to its logical conclusion the next step after internet hunting is just ordering a packaged venison roast from Walmart with delivery.

Hunting is more than pulling a trigger.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8246872 04/23/21 09:51 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
This subject came up in Texas several years back and I believe there were laws passed banning it. There were legal issues with hunting license, tagging the animal, wildlife resource documents, and other things that couldnt be overcome without the hunter present at the time of the kill.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: JCB] #8246908 04/23/21 10:30 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by JCB
This subject came up in Texas several years back and I believe there were laws passed banning it. There were legal issues with hunting license, tagging the animal, wildlife resource documents, and other things that couldnt be overcome without the hunter present at the time of the kill.

I remember that coming up. I believe this rule came from that

Unlawful Activities
It is unlawful to:

use a computer, or operate a facility that uses a computer, to assist in remote firearm or archery hunting, if the animal being hunted is located in Texas.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Simple Searcher] #8246931 04/23/21 11:03 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by JCB

I remember that coming up. I believe this rule came from that

Unlawful Activities
It is unlawful to:

use a computer, or operate a facility that uses a computer, to assist in remote firearm or archery hunting, if the animal being hunted is located in Texas.

Yep thats it. Another issue was with wounded animals. The animal would obviously have to be tracked by someone other than the hunter. That means if another shot is required to finish the animal there is that grey area of who actually killed it and who tags it. It was a can of worms that TP&W didnt want to open and I dont blame them.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8246946 04/23/21 11:15 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
All around bad idea and Im glad TPWD banned it.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8246974 04/23/21 11:37 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Bringing up drivel

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247018 04/24/21 12:18 AM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
What’s the difference in using a tripod in the field or a bipod while prone? Or even sitting in a blind with some sort of rest or bipod to take a shot on deer? I don’t think too many people are making free handed shots. People use many methods to steady their rifles while hunting.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247038 04/24/21 12:37 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Be a chore to retrieve the animal anyways.....

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247092 04/24/21 01:46 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I just happened across a show on one of the outdoor channels where an able-bodied guy was using a tripod and specialized gun vise to hold and steady his rifle when shooting a deer. Now if you ask me, he might just as well been looking at the screen of his phone and pushing a button to make that shot.

You’re mad because a guy took the a responsible position to be more accurate by using a solid rest there for having a higher probability of a clean kill, thus meaning he held the animal life with a high degree of respect

And you taught Hunter ED.....

Your post couldn’t get more idiotic, I hope you didn’t tell your students they also shouldn’t use a solid rest and do everything they can do to have the highest probability of a clean ethical kill

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247351 04/24/21 03:10 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
confused2 internet hunting ?

nidea hmmm, solution ta the hog problems in texas...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8247467 04/24/21 05:16 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I just happened across a show on one of the outdoor channels where an able-bodied guy was using a tripod and specialized gun vise to hold and steady his rifle when shooting a deer. Now if you ask me, he might just as well been looking at the screen of his phone and pushing a button to make that shot.

You’re mad because a guy took the a responsible position to be more accurate by using a solid rest there for having a higher probability of a clean kill, thus meaning he held the animal life with a high degree of respect

Your post couldn’t get more idiotic, I hope you didn’t tell your students they also shouldn’t use a solid rest and do everything they can do to have the highest probability of a clean ethical kill

Your comments remind me of how bow hunters once began foaming at the mouth at the very mention of making cross bows legal for anyone during bow season. It made no difference in the end. That too was a change to make it easier to kill a deer.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/24/21 05:23 PM.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247493 04/24/21 05:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
remote hunting was outlawed around 10 years ago after a outfit offered it and a few people shot deer via remote control. Its not a new idea, actually its quite old.

But I can understand the original point.

I see people using a tripod with a vice that holds the gun stone still and pretty much reduces them to just pulling the trigger and can't help but feel that its a pretty big crutch they are using there. With kids and handicapped people I'm all for it, but imo, and its just my opinion, that an able bodied person should have a level of marksmanship in the field that will allow him to make ethical and clean kills from field positions. I'll use a set of sticks when hunting but that's about it. I personally refuse to employ a quad pod with a vice to shoot a game animal, i don't care how steady it makes me.

Kind of like a draw lock ( or a crossbow for that matter )......makes it alot easier to kill an animal because most people get busted on the draw. I've killed enough animals that I do enjoy the challenge. If someone wants to use it great, but it goes against my personal code of ethics at the moment.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247509 04/24/21 06:24 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
While it's currently illegal in 38 states, there appears to be evidence, at least to me, that internet hunting could be something that hunters will demand in the future. After all, we're already seeing practices in the field that leverage a great deal of technology and mechanical assistance to shoot deer.

I just happened across a show on one of the outdoor channels where an able-bodied guy was using a tripod and specialized gun vise to hold and steady his rifle when shooting a deer. Now if you ask me, he might just as well been looking at the screen of his phone and pushing a button to make that shot. It would only seem logical that as this type of setup becomes more commonplace, there will be those who want to take it to the next logical step through internet hunting. IMHO, the only difference in these two setups is the physical presence of the shooter.

Is it time we put the brakes on the progression towards internet hunting by putting restrictions on what equipment able-bodied people can use to shoot wild game?

Using a rest is what a smart hunter should do because you owe it to the animal to take the best possible shot. If the hunting method is legal then don't worry about what other people are doing.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Choctaw] #8247516 04/24/21 06:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Choctaw
[quote=Texas Dan]

Using a rest is what a smart hunter should do because you owe it to the animal to take the best possible shot. If the hunting method is legal then don't worry about what other people are doing.

What he is talking about is not really a rest, it’s more mechanical than a simple set of sticks or a bipod.

While I would never vote to make them illegal or even feel it’s unethical ( I hold what’s ethical in much higher regard than I do what’s legal) it’s one of those things that makes you think to yourself “ is this really challenging “ ?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247603 04/24/21 08:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
The military has been successfully using this technology for years. They have a different purpose and no need for retrieval.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: 1860.colt] #8247629 04/24/21 09:31 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by colt.45

nidea hmmm, solution ta the hog problems in texas...

flag

There's definitely not must distance between the remotely-controlled trapping pen that's becoming increasingly common, and using the same core technology to aim and shoot firearm. Given today's enormous video game crowd, there are those who would see a lot of entertainment value in the later.

The way things are going these days, all it takes is enough people pushing hard enough to get laws changed so they can have practically anything they want. No question, the TPWD and other wildlife agencies have tried to get ahead of the issue. But again, as people get more accustomed to easier tactics and seeing more dollar signs, who knows what the future holds.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/24/21 09:45 PM.

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247659 04/24/21 10:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Your comments remind me of how bow hunters once began foaming at the mouth at the very mention of making cross bows legal for anyone during bow season. It made no difference in the end. That too was a change to make it easier to kill a deer.

I stand corrected, you just topped you previously most ignorant post.

You compared a rest to a weapon... tripods for weapons can be tracked back to the Ming dynasty ... of China from 1368 to 1644.. Guess what they also had in Ming Dynasty.. cross bows..

650 years later you think it’s ONLY sporting if use DO NOT use a rest.. the hell with individual efforts in making the most ethical shot you can

I can’t believe you taught kids Hunters ED. Unbelievable

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: txtrophy85] #8247668 04/24/21 10:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Choctaw
[quote=Texas Dan]

What he is talking about is not really a rest, it’s more mechanical than a simple set of sticks or a bipod.

While I would never vote to make them illegal or even feel it’s unethical ( I hold what’s ethical in much higher regard than I do what’s legal) it’s one of those things that makes you think to yourself “ is this really challenging “ ?

No, all tripods function the same, wether its tension on the gun between two/three yucca stems, a magnet, or tension from a metal or plastic vise, which is also how bipods work.. it’s all the same...

It’s unbelievable Someone would chastise people for using a tripod or a bipod. I can’t phantom why top accuracy’s from ones ability, now isn’t the goal

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8247723 04/24/21 11:40 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

I stand corrected, you just topped you previously most ignorant post.

You compared a rest to a weapon... tripods for weapons can be tracked back to the Ming dynasty ... of China from 1368 to 1644.. Guess what they also had in Ming Dynasty.. cross bows..

650 years later you think it’s ONLY sporting if use DO NOT use a rest.. the hell with individual efforts in making the most ethical shot you can

I can’t believe you taught kids Hunters ED. Unbelievable

The amazing part in all of this I’d you’re just now figuring it out. The ONLY reason I clicked this post was because you were the last to post and I hoped you told ole Trashcan Dan, exactly what you did. Thanks! lol35

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247794 04/25/21 01:14 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Juddly is correct in this case, and I ablsolutely hate to admit that and the only reason I clicked it is becase he was the last reply rofl

[Linked Image]
Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247834 04/25/21 02:07 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
So bipod/tripod now equals autonomous or removed hunting? Dan, you need to find a bridge to live under. Next thing you know, you should only freehand your rifle -- heaven forbid you rest it on your tripod/blind/rock/tree

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247839 04/25/21 02:17 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
This is literally the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here, BOBO is dead nuts on with everything he said and nothing more needs to be added. The old saying you can’t fix stupid seems appropriate in this instance, scratch

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247861 04/25/21 02:47 AM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I mean I mean why even use a rifle? That’s too much of an advantage. Let’s go back to sticks and stones to make it real hunting. If that’s too much let’s just get rid of optics and go to only fixed iron sights on a rifle

Re: It's much closer than we might believe [Re: Texas Dan] #8247904 04/25/21 04:46 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
I have achieved levels of stupid many do not read right, but I think we can all agree trash can dan won the T shirt for dumbest post of the year so far.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide