txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Yall guys are crazy, I've been thinking about retirement since I was 18. Hell every day I go to work and someone ask how I'm doing. I reply, hey you know one day closer to retirement.

I can't wait to do things I want to do. Mostly fish, hunt, build a car, or most of what sniper john is doing. Seem like sniper is living right.

yeah but can't you do those things now?

Nope, I work a lot now so I don't have to work later. I have to go as fast as I can. In order to coast in retirement.

so you are going to bust your arse now and forgoe your youth to hopefully be able to do the things you want to do when you retire?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245505 04/22/21 03:06 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Unless you have unlimited means, damn i wasnt blessed with that, how do you get where you want to be without forgoing things early on?

I guess you dont hear many old people saying I wished i would have worked more, but i bet there are a hell of a lot of people in their mid 30's and 40's strapped with a mortgage, car payments, college loans etc. etc. that wished they had a little easier row to hoe or more $$$ in the bank.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245507 04/22/21 03:08 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
If I could have all the money back that I blew on Strippers and booze in my 20's, I could be close to retiring now!

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: txtrophy85] #8245508 04/22/21 03:08 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Yall guys are crazy, I've been thinking about retirement since I was 18. Hell every day I go to work and someone ask how I'm doing. I reply, hey you know one day closer to retirement.

I can't wait to do things I want to do. Mostly fish, hunt, build a car, or most of what sniper john is doing. Seem like sniper is living right.

yeah but can't you do those things now?

Nope, I work a lot now so I don't have to work later. I have to go as fast as I can. In order to coast in retirement.

so you are going to bust your arse now and forgoe your youth to hopefully be able to do the things you want to do when you retire?

Yep, 100%.

To be honest I dont need to work now, and the wife would like if I didn't, but I have to do my part. I'm pretty sure retiring at 57 will allow me to still have some youth left in these legs.

I already fish, hunt, and have even built a car, but I had to find time here and there.

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245519 04/22/21 03:20 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
I haven’t worked (only) 40 hours a week in years

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: redchevy] #8245530 04/22/21 03:28 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by redchevy
Never before in my life have I heard someone say they thrive on stress. I can imagine that is a very unhealthy thrive.

Really? I know tons of people - myself included - that thrive under pressure/stress and put out their best work when their back is against the wall. I'd much rather be handed a project with an unrealistic deadline vs something as a "just get it done when you get a chance" kind of deal.

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245531 04/22/21 03:29 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I totally respect those working long hours or multiple jobs in order to retire early but in my mind the reward for that needs to happen in your 40's or 50's. You are giving up so much of life that you only live once. I hated going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.....even bring work home to finish. Time away from home made the wife take most of the load of raising the children and the stress made me a not as good of husband and father as I should have been. In hind site I would suggest if you are working 50-70 hours a week and can't achieve early retirement its time to look for another profession. That's just me.

I have been retired since 2010 and I look at what the extra decade of stress has done to my friends and peers. They look OLD at 60.

Make America Great Again

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: Cochise] #8245542 04/22/21 03:38 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Cochise
Never before in my life have I heard someone say they thrive on stress. I can imagine that is a very unhealthy thrive.

Really? I know tons of people - myself included - that thrive under pressure/stress and put out their best work when their back is against the wall. I'd much rather be handed a project with an unrealistic deadline vs something as a "just get it done when you get a chance" kind of deal.

Yeah, I'm a procrastinator unless somebody says "I bet you can't do IT!" Then it's on!

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: Cochise] #8245543 04/22/21 03:39 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

But is it healthy for you?

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: S.A. hunter] #8245546 04/22/21 03:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

But is it healthy for you?

Yes, but it’s the management of that in which you are asking about. Stress is a necessity to health it like sore muscles.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: redchevy] #8245551 04/22/21 03:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Unless you have unlimited means, damn i wasnt blessed with that, how do you get where you want to be without forgoing things early on?

I guess you dont hear many old people saying I wished i would have worked more, but i bet there are a hell of a lot of people in their mid 30's and 40's strapped with a mortgage, car payments, college loans etc. etc. that wished they had a little easier row to hoe or more $$$ in the bank.

It’s about an allocation of time. To quote my favorite teacher in HS...” life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want to, but you can only spend it once”.

I’m not saying work hard. Most people have to work hard, and yes that means sacrifice.

For me, I value my time spent in the outdoors so I have always forgone things to be able to afford both the money AND the time to go after these pursuits. In my 20’s, while all my buddies were buying new trucks, race cars and Rolex watches I drove a used trucks, worked hard, didn’t party as many nights ( but still partied my arse off ) so I could go fish Falcon 3-4 days Twice a year, run down to the coast at the drop of a hat or spend a week chasing deer. Those trips are what I carry in my memory bank, not jobs I did or deals I put together.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245556 04/22/21 03:48 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
40 hours a week? I remember my first part time job...

You did what?
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: unclebubba] #8245559 04/22/21 03:51 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by unclebubba
If I could have all the money back that I blew on Strippers and booze in my 20's, I could be close to retiring now!

I am sure Stub says thank you.

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: Cochise] #8245568 04/22/21 03:56 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I know tons of people - myself included - that thrive under pressure/stress and put out their best work when their back is against the wall. I'd much rather be handed a project with an unrealistic deadline vs something as a "just get it done when you get a chance" kind of deal.

I bet many professionals could intelligently challenge claims of people working better under pressure.

And being assigned unrealistic work vs just get it done when you get a chance, I suspect, would be said differently by a psychologist/psychiatrist in that you like to have rigid, clearly defined structure rather than to think on your own and manage your own time. It's good that you recognize the best work environment for yourself. Some don't.

== Edit ==
hook_n_line's comment is very related:

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Yeah, I'm a procrastinator unless somebody says "I bet you can't do IT!" Then it's on!

Last edited by Mickey Moose; 04/22/21 03:59 PM.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245570 04/22/21 03:56 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong
You load 16 tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
St. Peter don't you call me, 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store
I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded 16 tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said, "Well, a-bless my soul"
You load 16 tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
St. Peter don't you call me, 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store
I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebrake…

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: Mickey Moose] #8245578 04/22/21 04:04 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
I know tons of people - myself included - that thrive under pressure/stress and put out their best work when their back is against the wall. I'd much rather be handed a project with an unrealistic deadline vs something as a "just get it done when you get a chance" kind of deal.

I bet many professionals could intelligently challenge claims of people working better under pressure.

And being assigned unrealistic work vs just get it done when you get a chance, I suspect, would be said differently by a psychologist/psychiatrist in that you like to have rigid, clearly defined structure rather than to think on your own and manage your own time. It's good that you recognize the best work environment for yourself. Some don't.

Depends on the person and situation I guess. No one hands me a rigid clearly defined structure - I have full freedom with pretty much zero oversight or management to manage and grow millions of dollars worth of assets; my time management is up to me and all decisions and outcomes are mine to own. I'm sure there could be a lot less pressure/stress if I worked more than 40 hours or 4 days a week - but I value my time outside of work - so I will bust my butt to do so within those confines.

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245594 04/22/21 04:24 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Gotta be doing something and work helps to provide for dignity. I can nap and then do some more. Attack Mondays with a vengeance. Get here between 4-5 and get after it. Makes the rest of the week so much easier. Never allow myself getting to Wednesday hoping to get something done that week. It's all bonus past that day. Ain't afeered to come in Saturday and Sunday mornings either. I lovey my work. I get to help people and that's how I profit. Can retire now, could have retired earlier, who cares as long as I am doing what I want.

Ten days ago, I drove down from Menard and went to the lease where I stayed overnight. Last weekend I went to some river. Two weekends from now am headed for a three day varmint hunting expedition in King County. The next weekend I hope to put someone on a redfish. Don't stop, keep going, onward & ever forward.

Dang sure ain't in this life to wait to do things until I cannot and ain't in this deal to live the longest. Frankly, I want to slide into "home". Sidhaartha preached balance. More should listen to him. Life is good - if you allow it to be.

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: Cochise] #8245612 04/22/21 04:35 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Depends on the person and situation I guess. No one hands me a rigid clearly defined structure - I have full freedom with pretty much zero oversight or management to manage and grow millions of dollars worth of assets; my time management is up to me and all decisions and outcomes are mine to own. I'm sure there could be a lot less pressure/stress if I worked more than 40 hours or 4 days a week - but I value my time outside of work - so I will bust my butt to do so within those confines.

Depends on the person, sure.

What you do does not matter other than that it is done in an environment that is different than the one in which you explained that you thrive in. Maybe you just get by. Maybe you do great. Maybe in a different environment - the one you said you thrive in - you'd do fantastical! Make sense?

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245618 04/22/21 04:40 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I understand working under pressure driving you to work harder. I guess my thought on and definition of stress includes a negative connotation.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245658 04/22/21 05:09 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
At the end of the day we're all different, and are all in different situations. I just hope we all have a target, and are able to hit it.

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245659 04/22/21 05:10 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Some guys are built different and really do thrive on always staying very busy. Wade and JG both thrive on being productive so likely they are not experiencing stress the same as most would. I was similar in my early days up through late 30's and then energy started dwindling. Working 50+ hrs a week managing engineering groups or factories wore me down a bit but the toughest thing for me was work was always on my mind week nights and weekends since there were so many moving pieces and I did not stay physically active. I retired at 54 and have not adjusted well falling into the "slug" category but am working my way out of that. Knowing both Wade and JG, they will not have that problem as they love staying busy and are physically active.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: 40 hours a week [Re: txtrophy85] #8245720 04/22/21 06:01 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It’s about an allocation of time. To quote my favorite teacher in HS...” life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want to, but you can only spend it once”.

I’m not saying work hard. Most people have to work hard, and yes that means sacrifice.

For me, I value my time spent in the outdoors so I have always forgone things to be able to afford both the money AND the time to go after these pursuits. In my 20’s, while all my buddies were buying new trucks, race cars and Rolex watches I drove a used trucks, worked hard, didn’t party as many nights ( but still partied my arse off ) so I could go fish Falcon 3-4 days Twice a year, run down to the coast at the drop of a hat or spend a week chasing deer. Those trips are what I carry in my memory bank, not jobs I did or deals I put together.

I love that quote Tx.

This is what I was getting at.....when you are in the nursing home with nothing but your memories what do you want to remember. My last boss took exactly one vacation in 20 years. When he got brain cancer he has delusions were of.....not vacations, not golf.....it was work. It was sad.

Make America Great Again

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245721 04/22/21 06:03 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A working wife helps.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: Hudbone] #8245722 04/22/21 06:08 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I am sure Stub says thank you.

That's funny. LOL.

Re: 40 hours a week [Re: BigPig] #8245733 04/22/21 06:27 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I've always said the first day I realize I've got enough...is my last day. I want nothing to do with quitting working or doing things but I want everything to do with not working for "the man".

Not sure yet what retirement will look like but I'm looking forward to it. By my calculations...right now I'm thinking 13 years...might attempt to make some changes to accelerate that but we'll see.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide