Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Proper Communication is the Key to Team Hunting #8244576 04/21/21 05:07 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I love this video. Proper communication is the key to team hunting and these guys just don't have it. I don't know of anybody who has team hunted that hasn't had both or even 3 hunters all shoot the same hog out of a sounder. These guys are talking and on the surface it sounds like they are doing a really good job of communicating. However, if you listen to what they are saying and compare it with the video, it is all very confusing. They are talking, but they aren't actually communicating and the result is proof of that. Even worse, apparently this is a problem that keeps happening to them (noted at the end of the video).

For example, one guy says he will take the black hog. In the video, they are all black hogs. He might as well have called out the hog with 4 legs. One guy keeps calling out hogs by location (the one on the right or the one in back) when it isn't the only hog in that location. There is no way his partner would know what hog he was necessarily talking about, and he didn't.

In the description for the video, it says, "While selecting our targets, we both randomly ended up choosing the same pig to take a shot on." They didn't end up randomly shooting the same hog. They both targeted the biggest hog, plain and simple, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Proper Communication is the Key to Team Hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8244633 04/21/21 06:17 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
They silly.... chicken

Re: Proper Communication is the Key to Team Hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8244650 04/21/21 06:33 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Communication can be tough and you are spot on. It is something a team has to continually work on. I am lucky to have several different partners that I communicate well with. My main problem is that I am about half deaf.

The setup in that video was not good to begin with. The pigs were up really close and the scope did not have a wide FOV. That automatically put the shooter at a disadvantage of not having an accurate view of the entire situation. He could see his target good but was only seeing a small slice. He could have been center, left, right, who knows. Vague definitions on pigs that were not easily distinguishable from each other. That group of pigs was really dynamic and moving around a lot as well so that made it even worse. It would not surprise me if the other shooter was in the same boat on FOV with their optic.

When we stalk I like to stop at a distance where all the shooters can see the entire group in question while shooting. That isn't always possible on widely spread groups but we try. For us, we do not designate individual pigs so much as we designate initial fields of fire/areas of responsibility. If there are two of us one will go center/left and one will go center/right as a general rule. Normally that clears us not only on the initial shot but for several subsequent shots as well. Sometimes if there is a pig that is definitely bigger or unique from all the rest we will designate it as a specific target for a certain shooter. But we make dang sure both of us agree on which one that is. Usually we develop a solid shooting plan during the stalk and firm up details when we are still out around 100-125 yards. Then we will take the final stalk or two, check the setup to see if it has changed, and quickly confirm or make a modification to the shooting order. That is why on most of my videos you don't really hear us talking about who is shooting what. That was worked out 50-75 yards to the rear of where we are shooting. Occasionally there will be one of those "Hold up-change plans" moments but not too often. Being the partially deaf guy, it is better for me to do the shooting countdown, lol.

I know I posted this video from the other night on my thread. But it is a very good example of how we shoot. I was on the left and shooting left, partner was on the right shooting right. Initial shots both pigs dropped. I took the left runner he took right runner, and second shots had two more down. That was a pretty cut and dried situation the way they split. But even if they would have all run right or left we would have still stayed with "our side" of the group as long as possible. Now one of those pigs got back up and needed some further attention but it is a good example of having a plan both understand and sticking to the plan.

https://youtu.be/Cs-puRDeFWw

Re: Proper Communication is the Key to Team Hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8244698 04/21/21 07:34 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Right on

Re: Proper Communication is the Key to Team Hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8245343 04/22/21 12:59 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
At least they didn't get mad and blame each other for screwing up…

But, yeah — they need to do better.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Proper Communication is the Key to Team Hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8245497 04/22/21 02:55 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Yep, spouse did that to me except the hogs were different colors. He had some "splaining" to do.
Had a guy we took down to hunt hogs one year shot before we all got too because "they were fixing to run". They were feeding and he was not invited back.

We've had success with the 1, 2 , 3, shoot on cow elk though.

Re: Proper Communication is the Key to Team Hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8247484 04/24/21 05:43 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
rifle

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide