Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: kphilli66] #8238147 04/16/21 12:33 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I am not a fan of state mandated antler restriction for any reason. A landowner can do as they wish on their own property but I don't like some faceless person in state employ telling me what buck I can shoot or not shoot. Once a hunter buys the tag from the state he/she should be able to tag whatever legal deer they want. If I want to fill my tag with a tender young forkhorn or 6 pt then that is my business and not Austin's. If I want to hold out for a big racked brute, then that is also my business.

I have never taken a deer due to antler size and am a meat hunter. If someone wants to make a personal decision to hold out for old bucks with a lot of exposed bone on their head, then I wish them success. I hope they take a monster but I care little about that and feel that I should be able to use my tag in the manner of my own desires. It makes no sense for a buck with a 12 inch spread to be illegal while a buck with a 13 inch spread is fair game. In a biological stance, that inch means nothing.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: Texas452] #8238705 04/16/21 01:27 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Texas452
Antler restrictions have helped a lot in Leon and burleson co where we own property.
I like antler restrictions and hope it stays.
We see some really good bucks compared to years before restrictions.
If it were lifted in these areas it would go back to b lucky to get a 12”8pt
IMO.

Save your typing fingers since most who complain about AR's have never experienced what you described, and if they had they wouldn't be so vehemently against them.
I know they aren't the complete and final answer, but after all these years TPWD has lost a lot of credibility in my opinion for not tweeking the rules when it comes to AR's in certain counties where blanket AR's aren't working.
TPWD seem to be good at muddying the waters and then walking away!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: Jimbo] #8239071 04/16/21 04:45 PM
Texas452 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Antler restrictions have helped a lot in Leon and burleson co where we own property.
IMO.

Save your typing fingers since most who complain about AR's have never experienced what you described, and if they had they wouldn't be so vehemently against them.
I know they aren't the complete and final answer, but after all these years TPWD has lost a lot of credibility in my opinion for not tweeking the rules when it comes to AR's in certain counties where blanket AR's aren't working.

No they aren’t the complete answer. For instance I don’t like the idea of shooting yearling spikes that may have been born late or just a bad year for growing. But the old narrow horn bucks that I’m sure are out there,we just don’t see that many like that.
I don’t have anything against meat hunting but on my property I do like the bucks to get some age on them.
I don’t have anything against hunting high fence ranches but I prefer low fence.
We try to take no more than 2 mature bucks/200acres
I don’t hunt anymore but I take my grandchildren. After they are done hunting I will sit and try to take out a hog or a coyote and it’s enjoyable for me to see a really nice buck and just let him walk hoping he slips through the cracks for next year
To each their own.

Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: Texas452] #8239114 04/16/21 05:13 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
IMO.

No they aren’t the complete answer. For instance I don’t like the idea of shooting yearling spikes that may have been born late or just a bad year for growing. But the old narrow horn bucks that I’m sure are out there,we just don’t see that many like that.
I don’t have anything against meat hunting but on my property I do like the bucks to get some age on them.
I don’t have anything against hunting high fence ranches but I prefer low fence.
I don’t hunt anymore but I take my grandchildren. After they are done hunting I will sit and try to take out a hog or a coyote and it’s enjoyable for me to see a really nice buck and just let him walk hoping he slips through the cracks for next year
To each their own.

I dont really have a dog in the AR fight so consider this question off topic.. How do you manage to kill two mature bucks on 200 acres? If you can do that over time and sell your secret then you would be rich.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: freerange] #8239184 04/16/21 06:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange
How do you manage to kill two mature bucks on 200 acres? If you can do that over time and sell your secret then you would be rich.

These days it seems what hunters consider a "mature" buck can vary greatly.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: Texas452] #8239233 04/16/21 07:03 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
IMO.

Same with Freestone....

I would like to see some way to get rid of 5+ YO basket heads or tall narrow bucks....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: freerange] #8239283 04/16/21 07:45 PM
Texas452 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
[quote=Texas452]Antler restrictions have helped a lot in Leon and burleson co where we own property.
IMO.

To each their own.

I dont really have a dog in the AR fight so consider this question off topic.. How do you manage to kill two mature bucks on 200 acres? If you can do that over time and sell your secret then you would be rich. [/quote

There’s one side of us that’s a pretty good chunk that’s not hunted.
And when the grandkids hunt the definition of a mature buck changes I should have said legal buck
We do let legal bucks walk
My grandkids are getting pickier the older they get.
At our ranch in Coleman co where there’s no restrictions they won’t shoot a small buck and I like that

Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: Jimbo] #8241203 04/18/21 04:37 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
IMO.

Well said, from both sides of the coin

Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: kphilli66] #8241466 04/18/21 10:31 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
Have you ever heard the expression "just because you can doesn't mean you should"- just because you can shoot a spike doesn't mean you need to. Life is a series of choices and you can choose to not shoot a spike if it is only to justify the lease cost. I know some that will shoot something they may ordinarily pass on because "I paid for the lease so I had to shoot something". I have gone several years in a row without shooting something and not for lack of opportunity- I passed on two nice eight points this year during bow season that more than qualified for the antler restrictions but were a little young and decided to pass.

Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: kphilli66] #8241694 04/19/21 01:40 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
This is where TP&W does the research on AR's.

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2020/nov/research_kerrwma/index.phtml

Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: kphilli66] #8242170 04/19/21 03:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
People shoot spikes for three very good reasons. It's legal, the TPWD recommends it, and you can't eat antlers.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/19/21 03:28 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: Texas Dan] #8242521 04/19/21 08:32 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
People shoot spikes for three very good reasons. It's legal, the TPWD recommends it, and you can't eat antlers.

I had the kids take this spike out of 3.

[Linked Image]

These better deer will get more groceries, We decided to take 2 deer from this particular section so the spike and a doe were chosen. They sure taste good.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: kphilli66] #8243347 04/20/21 03:34 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I am a meat hunter, the last 3 deer I have taken were does, and I just wish that you could take does in all counties all season. When you can only take does on Thanksgiving and the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after, that is silly.

I don't know if that is part of the ARs, but it is still silly.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: LeonCarr] #8243487 04/20/21 05:09 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
I am a meat hunter, the last 3 deer I have taken were does, and I just wish that you could take does in all counties all season. When you can only take does on Thanksgiving and the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after, that is silly.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

They do that so too many does don't get killed. Used to be all season in colorado county & herd got shot up bad. Too many small tracts shooting anything that walked through.

Re: Antler Restrictions [Re: DUKFVR] #8246741 04/23/21 07:15 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Originally Posted by LeonCarr

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

They do that so too many does don't get killed. Used to be all season in colorado county & herd got shot up bad. Too many small tracts shooting anything that walked through.

Gotcha

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide