Print Thread
Ranchettes? #8237623 04/15/21 06:28 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Anyone have an experience with these large ranches they split up and sell as smaller properties? I even see high fenced ranches doing this.

Wasnt sure if anyone new some pros or cons or what o look out for with these.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237629 04/15/21 06:31 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Erik Estrada is selling them. I saw the commercial late one night.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237637 04/15/21 06:40 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Not sure what youre asking. Are you considering buying, or selling, or just curious?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237657 04/15/21 06:54 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Sorry about that, yes we are looking to buy land.

I keep coming across these, i guess they are called Ranchettes, not sure if there is another name but it looks like a company will buy a large ranch or work with the ranch owner no idea how that part works, but instead of selling the land as a whole it gets split it up and sell off tracks.

Didnt know if anyone had more knowledge of the good and the bad when buying a track like this.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237702 04/15/21 07:32 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I would say its quite common and you should get a lot of feedback on here about it. Its pretty much a win win for seller and buyer and realtor etc. The downside is that its the growing trend of urban sprawl, more people than land and destruction of all the big ranches. Unlike Humpty Dumpty, once broken up they wont be put back together again. Having said that, I certainly cant blame the sellers or the buyers.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237746 04/15/21 08:13 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Be aware of any Owner financing with 5% down. That means anybody with any form of income can buy the place, most often shoot all the animals the first year and then let it be foreclosed on. Also, be leery of these places that are being sold in small, 20-100 acres tracts, if they don’t have a “no high fence” clause in the deed restrictions.

Other than that, there isn’t much to worry about. The land is yours just as if purchasing a house or land anywhere else.

Let’s go see some properties. I’ve got a few off market properties ranging from $950-$1550 an acres in either Edwards Co or Val Verde Co.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237761 04/15/21 08:18 PM
K
Kevin_M Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
K
I've looked at a few dozen properties like that. They sound good but the more you dig through deed restrictions the less attractive they are. Almost every single one I read stated, in language as clear as mud, that you cannot hunt on them, house has to fit a certain criteria, size, materials, etc. Driveway have to be made of specific materials. Its good if you want a place to live and have some land you cant do much with. The lure to those is that they are all ag-exempt. All of the ones I looked at said that as long as you left your gate open and allowed the cattle to graze, you're good, but if you closed your gate for more than so many days a month, your property would lose it's exemption. I ended up finding a place with minimal restrictions , that checked every box for not much more money. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237954 04/15/21 10:05 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Buyer better check utilities access, cost of having electric run to where you want, water well cost, depth and water table studies... lots of those ranchettes in some counties don't tell you the water will be 800 feet deep, IF you find any.

There's been large scale scams out in the Hudspeth County area with these forever.

$2500 down. Owner finance. Already been sold and repossessed a half a dozen times because once people find out electricity cost $60k to run to the tract, that has about a 10% chance of finding water with a well drilled that costs $50k.

There's only a few that tough out the rain barrels and solar panels. The rest they sell and resell.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8237970 04/15/21 10:15 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
There are 2 places that join me are going that way. A 160 acre and a 140 acre are being divided into from 15 to 20 acre places. The peaceful days are over. Oh well SSS and live with it.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: don k] #8237997 04/15/21 10:27 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by don k
There are 2 places that join me are going that way. A 160 acre and a 140 acre are being divided into from 15 to 20 acre places. The peaceful days are over. Oh well SSS and live with it.

I pretty much have that on two sides now.

Kiss any deer management Goodbye as well.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: BbarVRanch] #8238140 04/16/21 12:31 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
Buyer better check utilities access, cost of having electric run to where you want, water well cost, depth and water table studies... lots of those ranchettes in some counties don't tell you the water will be 800 feet deep, IF you find any.

There's been large scale scams out in the Hudspeth County area with these forever.

$2500 down. Owner finance. Already been sold and repossessed a half a dozen times because once people find out electricity cost $60k to run to the tract, that has about a 10% chance of finding water with a well drilled that costs $50k.

There's only a few that tough out the rain barrels and solar panels. The rest they sell and resell.

I remember seeing those advertised in the Ft Worth Star Telegram. a long time ago

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: BbarVRanch] #8238143 04/16/21 12:32 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

I pretty much have that on two sides now.

Kiss any deer management Goodbye as well.

Where is your ranch located?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8241698 04/19/21 01:43 AM
T
TexasOutdoorsman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
It’s a bad deal! I mean I want every one to have there piece of Texas but doing that really destroys and fragments habitat for game and non game species.

Over all the process of people buying large tracts and sub dividing them has done a lot of bad and it’s feared that most of Texas will become small tracts.

No ones sure how to compromise on the situation either.

texas

Tejas Wildlife Company - Selling Apparel to Benefit Wildlife!
Instagram - @tejaswildlifeco
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8241872 04/19/21 10:46 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
It ain't as bad as somes suggest. Some of these ranches are HF around the periphery with game management programs set in place and agreed to in writing by all land owners. Some come with or are stocked with exotics. There are some mighty good places out there. If you believe ownership is a key to getting ahead, this is a way to achieve that goal.

In addition, there are bonuses way past the hunting. Getting your kids to enjoy the outdoors is one of them. Sneaking away with a Wifeypoo is just another. Just going there can be beneficial. Views and fresh air sure don't hurt.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8241994 04/19/21 01:23 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Yeah, we do.
Rocky Mountain Timberlands bought the large ranch next to the one we work on. What a cluster f&*% !
Trespassing, poaching, litter , not taking care of roads etc...
It is a constant battle with those that think hey, they don't hunt their land enough lets trespass and poach some animals.
Folks that have built had no idea the place gets snowed in during winter. Met a gal trying to doze out some folks from their place to get food after 2 weeks drifted in.

Most have no respect for neighboring land but some are great, friendly folks. Had a little help from lot owners catching some poachers, they got hit twice before learning a lesson. Sadly the agent listing the ranch lost was also trespassing but he learned the hard way too.
Had issues with fences, new lot owners though lets just take down fences that are where we think they are wrong. Our rancher went to court and they also learned of the adverse possession law when fences have been in place for decades. Would have been no issue of they hadn't removed them.

Good luck, I can tell you local ranchers will not welcome lot owners, ranchette purchasers, with open arms.

Hope your situation with them in Texas is better.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: Hudbone] #8242129 04/19/21 02:40 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by Hudbone
It ain't as bad as somes suggest. Some of these ranches are HF around the periphery with game management programs set in place and agreed to in writing by all land owners. Some come with or are stocked with exotics. There are some mighty good places out there. If you believe ownership is a key to getting ahead, this is a way to achieve that goal.

In addition, there are bonuses way past the hunting. Getting your kids to enjoy the outdoors is one of them. Sneaking away with a Wifeypoo is just another. Just going there can be beneficial. Views and fresh air sure don't hurt.

Well said.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TexasOutdoorsman] #8242172 04/19/21 03:22 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TexasOutdoorsman
It’s a bad deal! I mean I want every one to have there piece of Texas but doing that really destroys and fragments habitat for game and non game species.

Over all the process of people buying large tracts and sub dividing them has done a lot of bad and it’s feared that most of Texas will become small tracts.

So should the landholdings of Texas be comprised of relatively few landowners holding large tracts?

There is two sides of this coin, and both have their pluses and minuses. I've seen large ranches held by clannish families who didn't allow outside visitors, sell, and the ranch get broken down into smaller parcels, and the amount of people able to use and enjoy the land increase 10 fold.

Also, many landowners managing for wildlife is going to help the population much more than a large landowner who only cares about livestock and overgrazes his land severely.

I don't want to see Texas get broken down into 20 and 30 acre tracts and I don't like to see outfits ( won't name names but they are very popular in Edwards and Val Verde County ) break large ranches into Giant subdivisons of 20-50 acre tracts, but there is a middle ground.

And, as much as it pains us to see it, myself included, The fact remains is there are significantly more people in the country and def. in Texas than there was 25 years ago and space is at a premium. We are going to see alot more subdivision and Fragmentation in the future.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: txtrophy85] #8242844 04/20/21 02:10 AM
T
TexasOutdoorsman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by TexasOutdoorsman

So should the landholdings of Texas be comprised of relatively few landowners holding large tracts?

There is two sides of this coin, and both have their pluses and minuses. I've seen large ranches held by clannish families who didn't allow outside visitors, sell, and the ranch get broken down into smaller parcels, and the amount of people able to use and enjoy the land increase 10 fold.

Also, many landowners managing for wildlife is going to help the population much more than a large landowner who only cares about livestock and overgrazes his land severely.

I don't want to see Texas get broken down into 20 and 30 acre tracts and I don't like to see outfits ( won't name names but they are very popular in Edwards and Val Verde County ) break large ranches into Giant subdivisons of 20-50 acre tracts, but there is a middle ground.

And, as much as it pains us to see it, myself included, The fact remains is there are significantly more people in the country and def. in Texas than there was 25 years ago and space is at a premium. We are going to see alot more subdivision and Fragmentation in the future.

Agreed!! Not sure what the future will look like for Texas land and ranches. Once subdivided it’s a lot harder and more expensive to purchase a couple and create a larger tract.

texas

Tejas Wildlife Company - Selling Apparel to Benefit Wildlife!
Instagram - @tejaswildlifeco
Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8242907 04/20/21 03:15 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Better than 1 acre subdivisions.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: TxHunter87] #8243044 04/20/21 11:53 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Like I said earlier there are two places next to me that have sold. 140 and 160 acre. The only up side to it if there is one is that they sold for a high price. Now selling them off in what will have to be at least 5 acre parcels unless they want to establish a water system for the complete acreage will have to be well over $10,000 per acre. And I would think that someone paying well north of $50,000 K is not going to put up a junky home to live in. My place is HF so I am not worried about the hunting aspect. But being within 2.5 miles of Bandera I could see the writing on the wall that eventually it was going to happen.

Re: Ranchettes? [Re: don k] #8244480 04/21/21 03:23 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Like I said earlier there are two places next to me that have sold. 140 and 160 acre. The only up side to it if there is one is that they sold for a high price. Now selling them off in what will have to be at least 5 acre parcels unless they want to establish a water system for the complete acreage will have to be well over $10,000 per acre. And I would think that someone paying well north of $50,000 K is not going to put up a junky home to live in. My place is HF so I am not worried about the hunting aspect. But being within 2.5 miles of Bandera I could see the writing on the wall that eventually it was going to happen.

Good luck - $50K for 5 acres in my neck of the woods and you'll probably be getting a mobile home subdivision next door.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide