Page 1 of 2 1 2
Long distance firearm transaction #8237067 04/15/21 12:41 PM
R
RayBob Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
I found a rifle scope combo on the internet that's in-state (Midland area) . That's 9 hours from me to drive and pick up. It's a good price and exactly what I've been looking for in the rifle and the scope is my preferred brand.

Is there a safe way to send money for the transaction and to insure that the merchandise is sent back vis USPS or other carrier?

I don't want to trust an unknown. Need some wisdom here. confused2

Should this go in the rifle section?

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237100 04/15/21 12:59 PM
R
RPG1997 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Venmo or PayPal can work. Just make sure you don’t make it a Friends/Family transaction.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237124 04/15/21 01:10 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Don't know about Venmo but paypal is anti firearms and have been known to lose the transaction where firearms are concerned, understand this is just a rumor but !

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RPG1997] #8237139 04/15/21 01:17 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RPG1997
Venmo or PayPal can work. Just make sure you don’t make it a Friends/Family transaction.

Venmo is designed for payments between friends, family, and trusted parties. It should NOT be used for purchases from parties you don't trust because there is no recourse.

If you are buying something from a site like Texas Gun Trader, I would only do a FTF transaction. I have occasionally browsed that site for Mini 14s and it seems like the majority of listings appear to be scams.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237156 04/15/21 01:25 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by RayBob

Is there a safe way to send money for the transaction and to insure that the merchandise is sent back vis USPS or other carrier?

The short answer is no. There is no way for you to send money and insure that the merchandise is sent back. If you are buying it through gunbroker, they do have recourse set up if the item is not sent. Otherwise, you have to be able to trust the other party. If you found them on Texas Gun Trader, I would not trust them.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: unclebubba] #8237175 04/15/21 01:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by RayBob

The short answer is no. There is no way for you to send money and insure that the merchandise is sent back. If you are buying it through gunbroker, they do have recourse set up if the item is not sent. Otherwise, you have to be able to trust the other party. If you found them on Texas Gun Trader, I would not trust them.

Agreed.

Buying from an individual on a forum is actually quite safe. This forum and one other I have had many dealings with individuals, and never been burned. Pretty much self Policing.

OP, do you have a friend or family that is geographically close to the seller? Ask them to buy the rifle in person for you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237214 04/15/21 01:58 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Paypal Goods & Services is all I use for non-FTF transactions. I'll gladly spend the 3% fee for the goods & services option. If using the family & friends option, and the seller doesn't ship, you're just SOL. If using the goods & services, you have a certain timeframe that you can contact paypal and say the good were never shipped and they can refund your money.

Edit to add: Dont put anything about firearms in any notes. I've always just kept it very generic and not firearm specific.

Last edited by ZK-315; 04/15/21 02:11 PM.
Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237220 04/15/21 02:02 PM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Venmo I believe is also a part of PayPal. If you have to go about any recourse neither are good options.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: ZK-315] #8237224 04/15/21 02:04 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Paypal Goods & Services is all I use for non-FTF transactions. I'll gladly spend the 3% fee for the goods & services option. If using the family & friends option, and the seller doesn't ship, you're just SOL. If using the goods & services, you have a certain timeframe that you can contact paypal and say the good were never shipped and they can refund your money.

Correct.......however do not put anything in the PayPal description that indicates it’s firearms related or they will refuse the transaction.

I am in Midland. Not really sure I want to get involved in this but if there is something I can do to help the process let me know and I’ll think about it. Several can vouch for me on here if you have any concerns about dealing with “another unknown” grin

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237232 04/15/21 02:11 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Ringworm, you're correct. I meant to put that in there.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: Theringworm] #8237329 04/15/21 03:01 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Theringworm
Originally Posted by ZK-315

Correct.......however do not put anything in the PayPal description that indicates it’s firearms related or they will refuse the transaction.

I am in Midland. Not really sure I want to get involved in this but if there is something I can do to help the process let me know and I’ll think about it. Several can vouch for me on here if you have any concerns about dealing with “another unknown” grin

Ringworm is to be trusted.

He won't do anyone wrong.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237366 04/15/21 03:21 PM
R
RayBob Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
This is Texas Gun Trader. Really nice rifle (Tikka SS). I have made purchases on TGT before but always arranged a FTF. I guess I need to temper my want for this rifle with a little common sense.

I offered to meet the guy in SA or the Hill Country somewhere. That would be 6 hours for me and probably 3 hours for him.

Thanks for the advice and replies. I was definitely having cold feet.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237402 04/15/21 03:55 PM
C
CoyoteHill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
RayBob, I am at work just south of Odessa right now. If you need to, I can pick it up and drive it home to Canton if that would help you. But on TGT, are you sure this guy is legit? Tons of scammers on that site.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RPG1997] #8237406 04/15/21 04:02 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Negative, negative, negative...if they find out you did a firearms transaction they will suspend, lock or close your account. You will NOT have any recourse to collect any money and they will not support you if the transaction goes south.

Texas Gun Trader is good to go FTF. I have had not issues whatsoever. I do NOT do out of town deals from TGT. As stated, too many scammers. "If the price is too good to be true" then, well you know the rest.

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 04/15/21 04:05 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237420 04/15/21 04:11 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Good question here; do any FFL's offer payment escrow w/transfer?
I do understand a FFL is not required, but in a case like this could be way to go. Escrow & ship thru trusted FFL.

Edit - I just searched, and found this: https://www.guntab.com/how-it-works
anybody ever use it?

Last edited by oldoak2000; 04/15/21 04:20 PM. Reason: guntab?
Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237480 04/15/21 04:51 PM
G
George S Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
There is no certainty to long-distance firearms transactions; even FFLs can screw things up.

Research the seller as best you can. If it is on GunBroker/GunsAmerica/Armslist, etc., their feedback can be a guide. Texas Gun Trader seems to have a number of shady characters.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius
Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237524 04/15/21 05:07 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Talk to the seller, maybe meet them half way? I like the idea of a local THF'r putting eyes on the gun and make sure it exists. They could also get a feel for the sellers character. Just my opinion...

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237540 04/15/21 05:12 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Is it a Tikka T3x on Tx Gun Trader being sold by Jeffrey38? If so, it's a scam. He has a text only phone number, has 5 total listings at cheap prices and he just joined TGG 2 days ago, and one of his listings says he ships via "standard Canada Post shipping to most provinces."

In my limited time looking on Tx Gun Trader, many of the scammers say they're located really far away from the major metro areas and they don't actually list a location in their post. I encountered an abnormal amount of listings for Midland, Odessa, Brownsville, etc....this allows them to make their case as to why you need to send them money and they'll ship it to you.

If you are buying something online and try to call them and you get an automated message stating, "the text mail subscriber you are trying to reach is not available", then it is almost certainly a scammer. A legitimate seller will have a real working voice number and will usually talk to you on the phone if necessary (not to say that scammers won't also talk to you on the phone). After 20 years of internet scams related to buying/selling, it's pretty easy for me to sniff out the scams.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237588 04/15/21 05:41 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
BTW...on TGT you can verify their IP address...

Click the "target icon" under their name and to the left of the question mark.

[Linked Image]

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8237589 04/15/21 05:41 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Beware of TGT. I stopped looking a long time ago after I got hosed. Best of luck.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: The Dude Abides] #8237707 04/15/21 07:35 PM
D
DeerSlayer31 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
BTW...on TGT you can verify their IP address...

Click the "target icon" under their name and to the left of the question mark.

[Linked Image]

Yeah I had a guy where it said he was in Nigeria. He told me he had his ip like that si people can't find him. He wanted me to send half the money then he'd send the gun. I said send it to my ffl then I'll send you the cash on pickup.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: Mike Honcho] #8237752 04/15/21 08:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
Beware of TGT. I stopped looking a long time ago after I got hosed. Best of luck.

was your transaction FTF or long distance?

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: The Dude Abides] #8237910 04/15/21 09:43 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Negative, negative, negative...if they find out you did a firearms transaction they will suspend, lock or close your account. You will NOT have any recourse to collect any money and they will not support you if the transaction goes south.

Texas Gun Trader is good to go FTF. I have had not issues whatsoever. I do NOT do out of town deals from TGT. As stated, too many scammers. "If the price is too good to be true" then, well you know the rest.

This is true. Avoid PP for firearm stuff. You can end up with no money, a locked account, and no gun.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8247139 04/24/21 03:31 AM
T
TexShooter101 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I bought lots of stuffs (ammo and firearms from TexasGunTrader). It's the best site for buying/selling/trading guns and ammo.

Re: Long distance firearm transaction [Re: RayBob] #8247263 04/24/21 01:11 PM
J
jtod Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I just recently was considering buying something long distance from a seller on TGT(username dealbest55). It seemed like a better than average deal. Everything went smoothly until I asked the seller to have a phone call with me. He replied “no” and removed all of his ads(approximately 8). Luckily I hadn’t sent any $. TGT is a free site so it will have a higher scam rate. Armslist is trying to combat this by charging for monthly use. It doesn’t mean that Armslist doesn’t have scammers, I’m sure they still do. IMO, there is no way to get recourse if you get hosed, so I wouldn’t do any long distance transactions worth enough that it would bother me to lose that $. I only trust FTF transactions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide