Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237180 04/15/21 01:43 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The wife and I worked to put me through college. She was at Safeway and I worked in a plywood plant. Between school (Chemical Engineering) and the plywood plant, I still don’t know when I slept. Took 5 years to get through, but we never borrowed a cent. Those were lean years. And then I was in a real engineering job, really learning how to be an engineer. Being an engineer at an Aluminum plant is way different from being one at an oil refinery or a chemical plant.

It was very interesting, over the years, finding that most people don’t have a clue what engineers do or why they make relatively high salaries. It was certainly a sore point with the union guys in the oil refinery that I wore a tie to work and was younger than most of them and far younger than some of them. They never got, and I never told them, what the differences were between what I did and what they did, and why what I did was so much more valuable to the corporation than what they did.

Though I didn’t borrow any money to become a Chemical Engineer, it would have been worth it anyway. We paid for our youngest daughter to also become a ChemE, and she married a ChemE who had debt. They paid it off and have since made a ton of money, bought a 4100 sq ft house and drive German cars. And they put aside the necessary funds to educate both their kids, or at least most of that money.

The people that bad mouth engineers aren’t engineers. And since this is about student debt, borrow the money if you need to, but pay it back.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237198 04/15/21 01:49 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Half the people who demand student loan debt cancellation are sending $10 a month and a middle finger on $50k+ anyway, they just want to make it official.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237209 04/15/21 01:55 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
We went in debt, worked extra, sold off stuff, to pay for college for ourselves, then for our son.

I tried to get student loan to go back to law school about 20 years ago.... I was not qualified due to race/gender.

I say we HELP reduce some of the burden, if they GRADUATE, and serve in a public service area, such as teachers, cops, firefighters, EMS, military, public healthcare, etc..... other than that, you changed your major 6 times, flunked out twice, never graduated.... Nah....

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237233 04/15/21 02:11 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
The plan I have for my kids is that they take out loans to pay for their school or they can pay it themselves as they go if they chose to do so. But I will take on the loan debt and pay it off if they graduate. If they play around and don't graduate then the burden is on them.

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237295 04/15/21 02:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There's a lot of scholarship money that's available outside the funds dedicated to those with economic hardships, but you have to apply directly to the department to get it. Based on what I learned when my daughters got numerous scholarships by following this route, it seemed to me the goal of the departments was to identify students that are going to excel and improve the reputation of the program, not to mention become better alumni. These are scholarships where academic performance is the primary focus, and in many cases, the sole focus. The ability of the kid to write outstanding application letters that highlight their efforts inside and outside the classroom is paramount.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/15/21 02:44 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237351 04/15/21 03:11 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
This is all crapola to me. Every single dad gum bit of it. Paid for my college education working full time schedules mostly at bars. Picked up additional labor jobs during Christmas and other breaks. Parents did allow me to use their car, but that was the extent of their financial assistance. I never took out a loan. Four years into it, I got married to a Wifeypoo who had been utilizing debt. Put an end to that mess and then graduated upon the completion of my fifth year.

Got out and immediately started working to build a future. Was gifted with three darling daughters. Told the 1st one I would pay for everything as long as she maintained 3.0 or higher. She graduated in five years with a combined undergraduate & masters degree from TU in the Peoples' Republic of Austin. The other two were tall like their dad, hit hard like Wifeypoo and got athletic scholarships. We provided cars and paid for their living expenses.

Without an inheritance, I have paid for five educations without loans - that's because it is what I wanted and found the way to do it. Now people want something and want others to pay for it. I get incentivizing studies if society benefits from a certain course study without the capitalist system providing an avenue, but this forgiveness stuff is, plain & simple, BS.

Getting $50k for desiring a college education means I should get $250k. A whole lotta baloneyness.

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237359 04/15/21 03:17 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I find it interesting how so many people are against it, not for the reason of you signed up for it so you pay what you owe, but rather they are upset they wouldn't benefit as well.

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: Dustnsand] #8237374 04/15/21 03:28 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by z71dustin
I find it interesting how so many people are against it, not for the reason of you signed up for it so you pay what you owe, but rather they are upset they wouldn't benefit as well.

How many are against the stimulus?

I sure know I am. BUT if they are going to give away money I want mine too.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: dogcatcher] #8237381 04/15/21 03:32 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I along with a dozen or so other vets was contact central for excitement for those poor unfortunate souls. We lead them on a path of "righteousness" down the golden road to the gates of hell.

My hero, thank you for your sacrifice. smile

The only folks who I think have any kind of legitimate claim are those that were suckered by the for-profit business colleges who touted the benefits of a real college degree, yet delivered really nothing more than an unaccredited certificate of completion.

For all of the whiners with Philosophy/History/etc degrees that ran up a $50k+ debt, they need to revoke their degrees given they obviously learned nothing for the time they spent there.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: Dustnsand] #8237520 04/15/21 05:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

110% against stimulus unless it’s an across the board future tax break that also corresponds to the equivalent loose in fed spending/funding.

As far as the current topic it’s an appeasement/voter capture program, that will be funded by all taxpayers from now until their estates are settled at death.

The crazy part is when you look at it deeply, it’s essentially a wealth tax since most lower income levels are gifted a larger portions of grants (pell etc) for education. Factor in we have a progressive tax schedule and the burden is placed on those that took their education seriously.

Every college has a scholarship program anyone can donate to. By their own free choice

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237575 04/15/21 05:27 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
this program helps to further secure the younger, white apologist vote.

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8237590 04/15/21 05:41 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Can't we just have an AI virtual robot teach this liberal art crap online? Get your social worker degree for $2,999. Hell it's just programming anyway.

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: Paluxy] #8237626 04/15/21 06:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Can't we just have an AI virtual robot teach this liberal art crap online? Get your social worker degree for $2,999. Hell it's just programming anyway.

Covid actually proved this approach works

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8237661 04/15/21 06:57 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Paluxy

Covid actually proved this approach works

Careful for what we wish for. AI stands to put a lot of people out of jobs.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: Hudbone] #8238035 04/15/21 11:06 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
this program helps to further secure the younger, white apologist vote.

[Linked Image]

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: redchevy] #8238044 04/15/21 11:12 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by redchevy

How many are against the stimulus?

I sure know I am. BUT if they are going to give away money I want mine too.

You dam right Chevy.............I don't care if you make 10 billion a day..........I want that money too. I freaking sure paid into it like a lot didn't.

I had no student debt but I dam sure want a break if its given to everyone else.

Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: bill oxner] #8238401 04/16/21 04:31 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We are at about the 6 trillion dollar mark in Covid relief bills. Money that is not in the treasury, this will be our great great great grand childrens future tax liability. So what is another trillion dollars here and another trillion dollars over there? It is only paper money ,it has no real value. A good education is an investment in the future. Let's pay it now, so our great great great grandchildren will be well invested. rofl

Kids have proven to be dumbfucks. I mean I see it daily. My sister has a history degree from Baylor. For [censored] sake really???

That is a great degree. She can now teach History.

And make 40K a year. Do the math instead of post counting every GD thread Oxner. It does not make sense to make that with 200k in student debt. At least not to me.

[Linked Image]
Re: Student-debt cancellation [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8238495 04/16/21 11:25 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I did not pick cotton, I measured the acreage for some program. Really great pay. I furnished my own truck and got $11 a day.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide