Print Thread
Thor or no excuse bullets #8235443 04/14/21 12:36 AM
S
SowHntr Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
I have an accura long range and a tc encore hawkens rifle. I am looking for a trusted bullet to take elk hunting this season. I have been shooting Powerbelts for years here in texas, but I do not trust them for elk. Have y’all shot either of these two bullets? I am wondering if the cva accura will stabilize the 420-460 gr no excuse bullet. I have many different powders for working up a load. Also interested in any info on the 300 gr Thor bullet.

Thanks josh

Re: Thor or no excuse bullets [Re: SowHntr] #8238518 04/16/21 12:02 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I have used the 300 grain Thor many years ago. It was okay but expensive. First, it took a while to figure out the right sized Thor. Then, the first shot could load but any additional shots were much harder to get down the barrel. It made for a pain at the range trying to sight in. I shot one WTD and full-sized cow elk. The Thors seemed to work fine in that regard, but both exited and I cannot comment on expansion or what they looked like. I've used the 420 and the 460 No Excuse conical too. Used these within the last 5-years. They were easy to load for several shots in a row at the range. Accuracy was very good. Using the T/C Triumph for all this, the sights were set for the Thor. When I went to the No Excuse the sights had to be moved quite a bit. There is a weight difference and profile difference of course. One thing that was noticeable and interesting was that the No Excuse has less trajectory range above sights than the Thor. Sighted in dead-on at 100-yards, They would be within the 5.5" black circle at 50-yards and closer. The Thor was outside the black circle at 50-yards and on at 100-yards. Not hard to remember or adjust for if necessary and not that relevant on a full-sized elk. I shot two axis deer with No Excuse and they zipped right through. One WTD was a DRT with a quartering away shot. All exits. Two bull elk were shot, one each with 420 and 460 No Excuse. One was with the Triumph and another with a rifle with 1:24" twist. Both put the elk down but they ran a short distance. Good blood trails yet neither one exited - shots right close to 100-yards each. They did seem to break bones. One recovered No Excuse looked like half of what it started out as. The other had a dome shaped nose wider than the shaft. A client used the No Excuse 460's on Zebra and Eland with no problems. She got pass-throughs and one-shot-kills. Overall, I have more data on the No Excuse. All things considered, price-accuracy-performance-availability, I stuck with the No Excuse (and 420 was slightly more accurate for me). Really if you can spend the time and money to figure out the right sized Thor and get that size sighted in, it would be worth it to compare to the No Excuse. You should try the 420 and 460 and get the best group. There is also a sample pack of different weight available now. If the Thor was measurably more accurate I would go with it, same if one weight No Excuse is more accurate than another weight go for the accuracy. On another note, the 405 Powerbelt has been a stellar performer for me on a variety of game including elk. It is not as accurate as the No Excuse in my rifles, and is about the same as the Thor in accuracy. Best groups 3-in at 100-yards with an average somewhat bigger than that. It's all about accuracy and repeatable accuracy. Good luck!

Re: Thor or no excuse bullets [Re: SowHntr] #8241337 04/18/21 07:52 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I have used the No Excuses bullet in .54 caliber. It will punch right through a big ole boar, I'm sure it will do the same thing with an elk. I shoot them occasionally with my TC Hawken with 85 grains of FFG 777. The only problem I've run into is that they will lead up the bore with hotter loads. I normally shoot patched round ball so lead is not an issue with them.

Re: Thor or no excuse bullets [Re: SowHntr] #8241757 04/19/21 02:28 AM
S
SowHntr Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Awesome info guys thank yall so much! with the no excuse do you order under for the patch size or go full bore and add a patch for a tight squeeze?

Thank you Jab i think i will order some no excuse bullets.

Re: Thor or no excuse bullets [Re: SowHntr] #8242819 04/20/21 01:41 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
No patch. I use a felt wad under the bullet. It protects the soft lead bullet from the hot gasses. According to them, it's not really necessary, but I get a little better accuracy with the wads. You can get the wads from Track of the Wolf.

Last edited by Palehorse; 04/20/21 01:43 AM.
Re: Thor or no excuse bullets [Re: SowHntr] #8244297 04/21/21 01:02 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Some people think an over-powder wad helps. It might if your bore is a little on the big size or has some pitting. I did not use any ultimately, but I tried some and the accuracy was worse. You need to try both ways and see what your rifle likes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide