Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8217481 03/28/21 01:55 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
You have multiple freezer sections in one appliance?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Poppa] #8217487 03/28/21 02:03 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Poppa
Originally Posted by RedRanger
You can buy the whole ice maker for under $200, just a few screws to replace it.

replace my upper ice maker still no ice measured temp in ice maker compartment, its not getting cold enough to make ice. supposed to be a little fan in the bottom freezer that blows air up to top ice maker. do i keep going down this rabbit hole or cut bait and buy new? went down the hole on a kenmore several years ago and lost on that frustrating project.

Since it's just two of us I bought a Frigidaire Gallery double door with an ice maker, knock on wood it's been trouble free for almost 5 years. The one I replaced is in the shop and it's a Frigidaire with an internal ice maker that's almost 30 years old, trouble free also.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: dogcatcher] #8217490 03/28/21 02:05 PM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Samsung refrigerators suck.

if their fridges suck their vacuum cleaners might be awesome......

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8217492 03/28/21 02:07 PM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
my nephew in law is an appliance repairman and does a little side work. but people make fun of you so i'm a little hesitant to bring it up. you know, reputation and all..... confused2 ..... i do know the first thing he'll ask for is the model and serial numbers

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8217583 03/28/21 03:29 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Is anybody gonna step up and go fix the dang thang for him? Advice is cheap, somebody man up!

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: soooo] #8217615 03/28/21 03:48 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by soooo
Is anybody gonna step up and go fix the dang thang for him? Advice is cheap, somebody man up!

Fix it ?,he hasn't been back to say if he read what I posted or not and if that fixed it.Maybe he fixed it by shutting the door tighter and it fixed itself. confused2
We probably wontever know.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: John2] #8217626 03/28/21 04:00 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by John2
Originally Posted by soooo

Fix it ?,he hasn't been back to say if he read what I posted or not and if that fixed it.Maybe he fixed it by shutting the door tighter and it fixed itself. confused2
We probably wontever know.

Maybe last night was date night.

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8217636 03/28/21 04:14 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
The famous Samsung Ice Maker conundrum.

Mine keeps chirping at me, so I'm sure its the ice maker...

[Linked Image]
Feel your pain... At least in our unpleasant Samsung experience, if the chirping you describe is an actual alarm beeping a warning, then it's more likely a door switch or temp sensor issue. On the other hand, if it's a mechanical chirping, more like a fan hitting something, that is usually associated with a fan hitting ice build up that eventually will keep it from spinning and that causes all kinds of problems. The ice build up is associated with the ice maker and defrost issue that plague the Samsung French door models (See below pics).

If your fridge is constantly beeping an actual alarm, start by seeing if the door is open as others suggest. If that doesn't work, start with the below video to see if you have a door switch issue. He recommends placing your phone inside the fridge with the video running and closing the doors. Wait a few seconds and open the door so you can watch the video to see if the lights are on or off. If on, you have a door switch issue. He also walks you through some possible solutions and other ways to check the switches by using magnets.

I posted in the past on TFF/THF that friends don’t let friends buy Samsung refrigerators. Those posts were specifically about the notorious issues that occur with their French door models that have a well documented design flaw. The door switch issue is just another gift from Samsung. I’ve lost count of all the gifts they have given me over the last few years. I just DIY replaced the $175 water filter assembly a few weeks ago. That was a first but just another issue in a long list of repairs over the last few years.

The French door models don’t properly defrost, especially at the recommend temperature settings, and that leads to ice build up that eventually stops a critical fan form spinning. As soon as the fan stops, it prevents the refrigerator unit from cooling properly and can also be the source of other issues, including the ice maker from not working correctly.

Beeping can also be the result of a control panel repair program being activated. For one that would beep constantly it would be unlikely to accidently enter the repair mode because you have to hold down certain buttons for several seconds. I know some people that use the manual forced defrost mode often in an attempt to prevent the ice build up.

If you end up working on it or hiring someone to do so, make sure to unplug the unit and remove the lower rear panels to clean and remove any dust. I do this at least once a year. My Samsung thinks it’s an exotic sports car and requires a ridiculous service schedule to keep running. Our fridge basically will not run for any length of time if we use settings below 5 degrees for the freezer and 38 for the fridge. Even then, we have to service it several times a year. Here's some pics that I deal with way too often...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8217726 03/28/21 06:12 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Well,our french door model with icemaker in the door has worked really good except the darn icemaker.About half the time at night the cubes freeze together and won't discharge into a glass.She takes the ice bucket out and beats on the icemaker 4 or 5 times to break them up then it works until it happens again.

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: dogcatcher] #8217793 03/28/21 07:52 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Samsung refrigerators suck.

Any appliance with the Samsung name sux!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8217802 03/28/21 08:03 PM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I would definitely cut my losses and replace it; then I would humor myself by exclaiming that instead of the fat lady singing, Sam sung...

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8217831 03/28/21 08:35 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
im not efnn with it any more when the wife gets tired of diggin ice outa the bottom icemaker, we will buy something different. btw i got a brand new ice maker for a samsung for sale. also have a good used samsung refrigerater/freezer for sale. pm me

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: John2] #8217902 03/28/21 09:33 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Well,our french door model with icemaker in the door has worked really good except the darn icemaker.About half the time at night the cubes freeze together and won't discharge into a glass.She takes the ice bucket out and beats on the icemaker 4 or 5 times to break them up then it works until it happens again.

The ice maker has a known problem because condensation drips outside of the drain pan and into an area that causes the ice build up. Unfortunately just buying a new ice maker may not fix the problem because too much air from the fridge is also likely entering the ice compartment so the ice compartment needs to also be sealed up before you can solve the problem. Chances are you don’t need a new ice maker, just to seal it and install the $11 condensation clips that are designed to properly direct the dripping condensation. The clips don't work without also sealing up the compartment.

See the videos for a clear explanation and also for a serious warning about not breaking your ice maker coil as that can ruin your fridge. Take heed because if you break the coil it likely will be too expensive or even impossible to repair.

It’s a good idea to watch both because they show different parts of the puzzle. It’s difficult to work on any of the parts before it’s defrosted and advisable to wait until it has fully defrosted.

For the other issue of the evaporator coil freezing over, Ben Appliances sells a secondary heater kit for around $44 that I haven’t tried yet because I was waiting to see if Samsung was going to do anything plus I’ve been waiting to see how it worked for others. So far I’ve seen some positive feedback so I might try it next.

Most of the Samsung issues are caused by humidity that causes condensation that freezes and forms ice where you don’t want it. There are two fans that get stopped because of ice build up and most don’t realize it because you can’t see either one without some disassembly. One of the fans is in the ice maker compartment and the other behind the inside rear evaporator panel shown in one of my above pics. I suspect that both hacks are actually required to get close to fixing the system.

ICE MAKER ISSUES - Watch at least the first two videos and it's better to watch all four to understand the issue.

Y-Clips Kit - Fix the ice build up

Walt’s video shows a tad more detail that is really important if you’ve never been inside the ice maker before.

Ben's Appliances - Samsung Ice Maker Frozen - How to Fix with Samsung Ice Maker Defrost Mode + Samsung Ice maker Reset (more details that may help when watched with above videos)

The other condensation problem - Open the FULL description on the below video as you need several components

Ben’s Appliances: Samsung Refrigerator Ice Build-Up and Leaking Water Inside Drawers - How to Fully Fix it Forever

You also need this drain kit to fix

Ben's Appliances sells a secondary heater kit that some claims solves one of the big problems. It's next on my list to try.

Ben's Samsung secondary heater kit

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: John2] #8217953 03/28/21 10:27 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Are you sure one of the doors isn't open just a little bit causing the alarm to chirp ?.
If the door is closed, try pushing in to see if this stops the alarm. If it does, you may need to clean or replace the gasket because it is not registering the door as fully sealed.
The second problem that can cause this alarm is a high temperature inside the refrigerator.
This means that the temperature is at a range that is not safe for food. You can try setting the temperature lower, but this can be an indicator of a problem. The thermometer could be malfunctioning, or worse, the cooling system in your appliance. Unlike a door ajar alarm, this one can be more difficult to fix on your own if turning down the temperature doesn’t work. It requires substantial disassembly of your refrigerator and Samsung appliances can be particularly problematic about that.
If neither of those then you might try is unplug your refrigerator for a few minutes. This will perform a reset on your refrigerator and hopefully put an end to the beeping.

Hey John2, sorry I haven't replied to yours or anyone else's "good" recommendations. I did all yours. Seal is tight, temps are steady at -2* and 28*.

I will call the repairman recommended in this thread. No way I can crawl up inside that thing.

Right now, the ice maker is working. It will chirp, Ice maker icon lights up, says No Ice. I can reach under the ice maker and hit the "reset: button. "No Ice" light will go off, It will work for a while, then start all over with a chirp and No Ice Icon will light back up.

I'll figure something out, thanks to those like John2 for posting the real.... helpful..... responses

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Blue Moon] #8218149 03/29/21 12:49 AM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Blue Moon

The ice maker has a known problem because condensation drips outside of the drain pan and into an area that causes the ice build up.

See the videos for a clear explanation and also for a serious warning about not breaking your ice maker coil as that can ruin your fridge.

I don't have a icemaker like those in the videos.Our complete icemaker is inside the door. We don't have a drip pan so no ice buildup.

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8218222 03/29/21 01:31 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Great video but no way I would feel comfortable installing that heater myself.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8218446 03/29/21 11:35 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have never seen so much confusion about buying as simple as a refrigdare.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8218932 03/29/21 06:59 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
i lied. i found a motor for $25 gonna try it and see. no more though.

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8234330 04/13/21 01:51 AM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Thought I'd post an update. If you have one of the Samsung french door models with the known ice maker issue it might be worth calling Samsung even if you tried before without results, and even if it's out of warranty because they are offering some repairs at no charge. I'm not sure what all models they are now covering but ours is out of standard and extended warranty and they came out at no charge to try yet another repair. The tag inside our fridge indicates ours was manufactured in late 2015. The number is: 1-800-Samsung (1-800-726-7864). BTW - The tech showed up in a Samsung Care branded van and he said he mainly does this fix all day long...

No idea if the updates he did today will correct any of the problems we've had since the fridge was new. The repairs covered were specifically designed to fix the ice maker problem, not the main fridge defrost problem we're also having but I'm hopeful he did a couple of things today that might help. Only time will tell.

Here is what the tech replaced and updated today:

Good - Replaced Ice Maker with new version. The new version has a larger sink type area to catch condensation or water that splashes out. Plus it also has a much larger drain tube. Both are improvements compared to the previous version. The tech said the drain is also larger than the ones previously replaced under warranty so even if you had the repair and it didn't work, it might be worth calling as this has a chance to work better than previous repairs as they basically removed a bottleneck in the drain.

Good - Replaced Ice Maker Auger Motor with new version. This is located basically behind the ice maker in our version. This component wasn't replaced in our previous repair because it had yet to be improved.

Good - Replaced main system motherboard. Frankly, I was surprised they replaced this part at no charge but it made me more hopeful that it actually might help.

Neutral - Removed the Y-clips we had previously updated and replaced them with Y-clips in the new kit (might not help us as we had already done this but if you haven't and have our type of ice maker, for sure do this part of the repair as it helps direct most of the condensation into the proper drain. Even if you're not covered under warranty they are only $11 and it's an easy DIY fix.)

Neutral to Good - Resealed the compartment with DOW food safe sealant - Again, we had already had this done but it might help because this time it was done with the auger motor out as well so it covered 100 percent of any gaps in the ice compartment.

Good - Went into engineering mode and set the fridge to auto defrost more often to try to prevent the ice buildup in the main fridge compartment. Unfortunately this was done with just scrolling through numbers that have no meaning without a technical reference guide. At the moment I don't have the guide. Also, I'm not sure if the specific feature was available without the new motherboard. We don't have a smart fridge that can be remotely updated. BTW - The engineering area was accessed with a different button combination than the tech area where the forced defrost letter feature options are found.

Bad - The repair did not cover replacing the ice bucket, even though they nearly always crack due to the ice build up. We have both repaired and replaced it in the past.

Three things you can try at home without new parts that the tech did and claims they help -

1 - Turned down the water pressure by closing the water valve until the water just gently streams into the glass. In our case that was only about 25 percent opened. It takes twice as long to fill a glass but it's not painfully slow. This is supposed to help water from splashing and causing the ice to stick together as it splashes out of the ice trays while it's being added. No idea if this would help John or not with the in the door design, but maybe something to look at.

2 - On the back of the fridge, he also pulled the gray water line to the ice maker out about a quarter inch (1/4"). Not the blue - just the gray. It's supposed to help keep the water from splashing out when it fills the ice trays. At least on our model, the blue one is for drinking water and the gray one fills the ice trays.

3 - Never use the Energy Saver setting unless you're on vacation. He said it seems to nearly always contribute to the problem. We had already been told that so we never use it but thought I'd pass it along,

Way too early to see if any of these worked or not but I'll try to remember to update if it works. BTW, I had to manually defrost the fridge again last week. If this doesn't work then I'll likely try the secondary heater that I previously posted about.

Also - to see if the new motherboard, other parts and updates actually work, I also turned the fridge down to factory settings of 0 and 37. We had it at those settings for most of the time since new but found a minor hack by setting it to 5 and 38 kept it working longer between ice buildups. Hoping 0 and 37 work this time but will experiment if not. This has more to do with humidity levels and how often you open the doors.

Good luck ~

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8234934 04/13/21 05:03 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Blue Moon, I'm glad they finally came thru for you and I hope they fixed your problem. Here is a video of the icemaker in our door and no need to watch it after 1:20 mark unless you just want to watch.I'll explain later. LoL

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8235076 04/13/21 07:04 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
And now,the rest of the story. It must have been 2009 when I took the wife shopping for a new refrigerator,nothing wrong with the one we had except it was too small.( There comes a time when women get finnicky and just want something new). She decided she wanted to go to Sears and look at the Samsungs.She looked at this one,then that one and "O goodness look at this one over here".I'm not a fan of appliances so get what you want and don't complain about it later so she finally says I want this one.
All these years I walk around the kitchen,look at this refrigerator and move on,the kitchen is hers and about the only time I go there is she wants me to cook the steaks and my eggs.She can't cook eggs over easy without screwing them up so I don't mind cooking my own eggs.The refrigerator has sat there doing it's job and me being so blind.Not until this darn thread about icemakers I didn't know but last night I had to know exactly what model our frig was so I go take a pic. Holy sh$*t, I have a Sears Kenmore Elite WHAT ?.
The good thing I guess is I think I have helped a few ? with their Samsung problems.

Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: Buzzsaw] #8235148 04/13/21 08:15 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
I used to have one of these fridges, don't miss it and the stupid ice maker mess at all. We switched to a Kenmore French door a while back without ice and water in the door. Haven't had any problems to speak of in about the 4 years since. s to

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Samsung Refrigerator repair [Re: chalet] #8235153 04/13/21 08:23 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by chalet
I used to have one of these fridges, don't miss it and the stupid ice maker mess at all. We switched to a Kenmore French door a while back without ice and water in the door. Haven't had any problems to speak of in about the 4 years since. s to

We like our Kenmore French door w/icemaker in the door but sometimes it has this problem.It's been going strong for at least 12 years now. up

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide