Print Thread
Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions #8232770 04/11/21 04:00 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Got a buddy turning 40 next year and want to take him on a one of his dream hunts - Proghorn in Colorado! Would be the fall of 2022. Wanting to start planning things now.

Looking for advice, guide recommendations, general feedback, etc. If anyone has done this hunt in CO before, please let me know and if you got any tips or connections, I would greatly appreciate them!

Thx

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8232873 04/11/21 06:57 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I have a really nice pronghorn from Colorado unit 67. It’s really a lot of glassing long distances from the truck until you find the right buck to go after. I wouldn’t say it’s the most exciting hunting, but I certainly would recommend it at least once. I know some people like the meat, but if they are eating sage, it’s not very tasty eating.

Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Gringo Bling] #8232903 04/11/21 07:43 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
It’s really a lot of glassing long distances from the truck until you find the right buck to go after. I wouldn’t say it’s the most exciting hunting, but I certainly would recommend it at least once. I know some people like the meat, but if they are eating sage, it’s not very tasty eating.

This pretty much sums it up right here

Also look into Wyoming, lots of speed goats there

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8232984 04/11/21 09:36 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Also, I have guide and land connections if you were interested in that unit.

Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8233141 04/12/21 12:10 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Without points you will have to buy a landowner tag. Just curious, Why not go for Wyoming? Wyoming has more pronghorn than any other state.

Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8233158 04/12/21 12:35 AM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Gringo - any connections would be greatly appreciated.

Wyoming might work out just as fine as CO. Landowner tags would be fine. My buddy just shared an idea of a hunt he always wanted to go on, and just starting to get some ideas stirring around in my brain and his. If y’all have Wyoming contacts, feedback, that would be cool, also.

Thx

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8233206 04/12/21 01:16 AM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I actually prefer antelope over deer (love deer hunting too though). You don’t have to get up in the middle of the night to hunt them. They move all day long. I prefer archery over rifle but rifle is fun too. At times with a rifle it kind of becomes a test of your marksmanship rather than your hunting skills. Beautiful animals make excellent mounts. As regards the meat,you need to skin the animal immediately where legal and get it on ice ASAP. I usually get it done in about 30 minutes and find the backstraps to be as good or better than any other game animal. Before I learned how to do that myself, I took them to the locker and didn’t enjoy the meat much.

Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8233496 04/12/21 12:49 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
You'll need PP for Wyoming probably and maybe for Colorado too unless you can find a landowner tag and good luck with that. Wyoming does not allow landowner tag transfer.
Pronghorn hunting has become very popular and this year Wyoming has drastic tag cuts in some Eastern areas of the state that could be drawn with 0 PP last year.

The meat is excellent unless you chase them all over the country then shoot one. They mainly feed on forbes but use sage over winter.

A Wyoming hunt would a a classic pronghorn hunt, many animals to look over and varied scenery.
NM would be your best bet for a trophy without PP and the Grimmets are the outfitters for big pronghorn, Pronghorn Guide Service.

With PP Wyoming can be a blast to come hunt. Lots of animals, easy to fill a tag in the right areas and a great time to come up and do some trout fishing as well. Doe tags are very cheap in Wyoming also.

Re: Pronghorn hunting in Colorado - questions [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8233509 04/12/21 01:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
Gringo - any connections would be greatly appreciated.

Wyoming might work out just as fine as CO. Landowner tags would be fine. My buddy just shared an idea of a hunt he always wanted to go on, and just starting to get some ideas stirring around in my brain and his. If y’all have Wyoming contacts, feedback, that would be cool, also.

Thx

Draw odds increase/decrease with weapon changes in CO.

Navasto killed a stud 80” with his bow. PM Gavin

If you are considering guided I’d just pm jeremyks and book in NM or TX with sagebrush

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide