Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Re: question about buying land... [Re: B Razorback] #7244062 08/03/18 03:20 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: B Razorback
One of my dreams later on in life is to have my own land that my wife and I can retire on. This is going to sound crazy, but what are the first steps y’all would recommend doing once I graduate college? I’m a senior at the university of Arkansas studying supply chain right now. I know this dream is so far out of the picture in my life currently, but I’d like to get a great head start for saving money, etc. I’m just trying to gain some wisdom from y’all!

First step, pay down student debt.

Second step.....find a career avenue to make a lot of money

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: question about buying land... [Re: kikabaila] #7265253 08/23/18 02:56 PM
F
Famous Flames Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: kikabaila
Land newbie here. Looking to buy some land for family fun and potentially some hunting. Something ~30-80 acres would be ideal since I am willing to spend ~$150K, need to be within 2.5 hours of DFW. What counties would y'all suggest to look?

I may be a bit late to the game, but IMO 2.5 hours is too far unless you are able to make regular overnight trips. You'll be shocked at the amount of work that goes into maintaining a place. Mine is a little more than an hour, and I am constantly hurrying both there and back to get the most basic stuff done. In fact, I'll be making a rushed trip this weekend to get stuff ready for dove hunting.

Last edited by Famous Flames; 08/23/18 02:57 PM.
Re: question about buying land... [Re: txtrophy85] #7366870 12/04/18 08:09 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by B Razorback
One of my dreams later on in life is to have my own land that my wife and I can retire on. This is going to sound crazy, but what are the first steps y’all would recommend doing once I graduate college? I’m a senior at the university of Arkansas studying supply chain right now. I know this dream is so far out of the picture in my life currently, but I’d like to get a great head start for saving money, etc. I’m just trying to gain some wisdom from y’all!

First step, pay down student debt.

Second step.....find a career avenue to make a lot of money

I know its a late response, but to Razorback how you live the next couple of years will either really set you up for life or have you playing catch up for the next several years. If you're like most students you're probably used to getting by with little money, try to stick as close to your student budget as you can for the first couple of years being out of school and really pay down debt and save as much as possible. Lenders like to lend money most to people who don't need it. You're a lot more likely to get approved and get better rates ithe more you have in liquid savings

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #7633081 10/15/19 02:24 PM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I have not read all the posts here so this may have been answered already. Apologizes if this was already addressed. I am looking to buy some land and do not need financing. I'll be paying cash. Does anyone know of a good lawyer that does not charge a fortune to go over the closing documents for me? The property will be in Delta County and is less than 60 acres. This is my first land purchase so any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter-Steve] #7633090 10/15/19 02:33 PM
T
Tru_texan36 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Steve - the title company you use for the transaction will have a lawyer on staff. They will gladly go through the documents with you prior to closing, and should not charge a fortune. Explain to them that this is your first land purchase and they will help you out!

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #7633169 10/15/19 04:02 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The fee attorney at the title company is not YOUR attorney. If you have questions/issues or just want someone to look through the contract vs the closing documents, you should retain a real estate lawyer that is working for you. The fee atty will explain what documents you are signing but he/she will not determine if the documents are drawn as they should be. I don't know anyone in that area but maybe someone will chime in. Did you have a broker on your side of the transaction involved?

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Tru_texan36] #7633170 10/15/19 04:03 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Tru_texan36
Steve - the title company you use for the transaction will have a lawyer on staff. They will gladly go through the documents with you prior to closing, and should not charge a fortune. Explain to them that this is your first land purchase and they will help you out!

I agree

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: question about buying land... [Re: Mr. T.] #7633195 10/15/19 04:28 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Tru_texan36

I agree

I’m sorry but this is incorrect. Texas state law forbids attorneys working at title companies from giving legal advice. Their sole purpose is to review the internal documents for their employer, the title company.

Jetdad is 100% correct.

...unless something changed in the last three years since I retired.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: question about buying land... [Re: jetdad] #7633198 10/15/19 04:32 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by jetdad
The fee attorney at the title company is not YOUR attorney. If you have questions/issues or just want someone to look through the contract vs the closing documents, you should retain a real estate lawyer that is working for you. The fee atty will explain what documents you are signing but he/she will not determine if the documents are drawn as they should be. I don't know anyone in that area but maybe someone will chime in. Did you have a broker on your side of the transaction involved?

I agree.

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Cast] #7633797 10/16/19 05:19 AM
T
Tru_texan36 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Either you guys have more information that what was originally asked or I missed something. I stand by my statement that the title company will gladly go over the documents with you prior to closing.

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #7633873 10/16/19 12:23 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Most likely a difference in the definition of " go over the documents ".

Just about anyone can read & understand the basics of the document(s) they're asked to sign.
A simple what is this for, what do these words or this paragraph mean, sure the TC attorney will answer.

To go over the documents and get an actual legal opinion on any or all documentation with the buyers best interests as #1 priority, you need your own attorney.
These folks do it all day every day, you'd be surprised how much a decent 'buyers' attorney can catch and how many transactions take place & are recorded with defects and things that do effect the buyer.

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #7633955 10/16/19 01:46 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The title company attorneys are impartial. It's that simple. They cannot be there for the buyer and the seller at the same time. As Rustler said, explaining the documents is one thing. Conveying intentions from the negotiations, contract and closing docs is a different matter. If you have never done this before, you should get some guidance. It shouldn't be that expensive.

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #7633957 10/16/19 01:52 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
One side note. Delta county is very sparsely populated. There's a good chance the seller and the title company attorney have some kind of connection. Be it friend, distant relative or whatever. Not trying to offend anyone but it does happen.

Re: question about buying land... [Re: jetdad] #7634359 10/16/19 07:16 PM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Thanks everyone. I do want to get an attorney that represents me and can validate all documents. I asked my Legal Plan that I participate in and they do not cover non primary resident closings so I will have to look for a real-estate attorney on the Internet. If you have a lead for me please PM me.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #7661017 11/13/19 08:46 PM
C
Conner Allen Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I don't know what part of the state you are in - I am an Ag Lender for AgTexas Farm Credit. This type of financing is what we do and in my opinion nobody can compete with our products, rates, patronage, - this is what we do - I would encourage you to reach out if you are still looking.

#TightLines
Re: question about buying land... [Re: Conner Allen] #7759882 03/01/20 12:00 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Conner Allen
I don't know what part of the state you are in - I am an Ag Lender for AgTexas Farm Credit. This type of financing is what we do and in my opinion nobody can compete with our products, rates, patronage, - this is what we do - I would encourage you to reach out if you are still looking.

Steve said he was paying cash...not financing.... 2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: question about buying land... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7759903 03/01/20 12:28 AM
W
wiredog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Conner Allen

Steve said he was paying cash...not financing.... 2cents

Its hard to get the 3 %' ers to pay attention...

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #7872501 06/17/20 12:23 AM
H
Hunter_Man Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
Nearly 11 years ago, and 1 wife ago, I posted this post originally. So I wanted to check in and say in 2017 I purchased 100 acres. Have it 1/2 paid off now. Planning on building a house there as soon as the land is paid off.

Will say it is the best investment I’ve ever made. In just over 3 years I have had a well drilled (now have 2), brought in electricity, put my own septic in, have a dozen cattle and purchased an rv to stay in when we want.

If anyone has questions please feel free to contact me

Also, through my land I found a second business selling solar water well pumps! If anyone needs one let me know wink

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #8021312 10/23/20 08:10 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Congrats Hunter_Man, that’s really impressive!

I read over this thread twice now and am surprised at the amount of info it contains. I think I’ve come to a point where I’m going to start saving/planning for a purchase of some land to hunt and enjoy. Of course that means finding more ways to save and make additional money.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: question about buying land... [Re: firesheriff] #8062458 11/24/20 01:36 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Firesheriff, not sure. I have a wildlife exemption in Montague County but went to it and cancelled my Ag exemption at the same time. No cows to mess with or fences to worry about. When I did it, you could only do it when you were going to it from an Ag/grazing exemption. Without an exemption, I couldn't afford to own the place.

Here's what I did in 1983. I started calling realtors within a 100 mile radius of my home in Hurst. I told them about my desires and most weren't interested. Then I talked to one in Bowie. They had such a place. 133 acres of total junk that didn't even have a road through it. $400 an acre for 133.752 acres. Nobody else was interested in it because it was so heavily wooded/rocky that there was no way to get any production (grazing) off of it. I financed some of it with a Veterans Land Board loan. The sellers carried the rest. Then the sellers got into a divorce and needed $ so I cut a deal to pay them off. Then I went through a divorce but, due to the VLB loan in only my name, she couldn't touch it. Later, when I got over being dead broke from the divorce, I paid the whole thing off.

Over time, I had a road dozed that has now totally washed out and good for only a tractor or 4 wheeler. Then a camper trailer that I replaced with a white trash trailer house that I have remodeled and added electricity. Had a well dug. Then a 1 acre stock tank/pond that I stocked. Next was building a tractor shade and an old construction office trailer for storage. Next a shipping container for more of my junk and 4 wheelers.

It's taken years and still have to do "stuff" there just like I have to do at home. I still need to do more on the trailer house but it's mainly our home away from home.

My advise: Don't look for a square peg for a square hole. But, define your objectives. I'm not the smartest guy here but what I bought in 1983 for about $50,000 is now worth about $500,000 and, due to the exemption , taxes are negligible.

I would have spent more on deer leases.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 11/24/20 02:37 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: question about buying land... [Re: helomech] #8160019 02/08/21 01:36 AM
1955 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
This is some good info, thanks for posting 🙂

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #8182699 02/24/21 07:24 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Hi All,

In the early stages of looking for land and have some questions was hoping yall might know.

We want a house of some type on the property, but if we find land we like with no type of home on the property whats the best option? mobile, modular, manufactured?

can that be finaced into the property or does it need to be separate? or if both are an option is one better?

Utilities, reading this has helped me understand that even if utilities are close doesnt mean they can be hooked into. How do you find out if you can?

if you cant how do you find out cost to get them?

can that be financed into the property or does it need to be separate?

Re: question about buying land... [Re: TxHunter87] #8182974 02/24/21 11:10 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TxHunter87
Hi All,

In the early stages of looking for land and have some questions was hoping yall might know.

We want a house of some type on the property, but if we find land we like with no type of home on the property whats the best option? mobile, modular, manufactured?
That will be up to you. What are long term plans? Might look at more permanent strucure if long term. We went with a cabin on 1st place. This time we are going container cabin for starts. Eventually build a barndo.
can that be finaced into the property or does it need to be separate? or if both are an option is one better?

Utilities, reading this has helped me understand that even if utilities are close doesnt mean they can be hooked into. How do you find out if you can?

Talk to local provider

if you cant how do you find out cost to get them?

Again local provider

can that be financed into the property or does it need to be separate?
I would do it seperately. Pay cash for any kind of add ons, improvements.

Re: question about buying land... [Re: Hunter_Man] #8190104 03/03/21 02:37 AM
D
D X B Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I’d get liability insurance, minimally.

Re: question about buying land... [Re: helomech] #8232890 04/11/21 07:25 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Helomech, you can get more than one exemption? I went through the VLB along time ago. Now paid off.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide