Print Thread
Shipping Taxi work from SA #8232418 04/11/21 02:23 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Dad and I are going on a hunt and I have my budget almost completed.

I am leaning toward having the taxi work done their at this point. He has sent me pictures of their In house taxi and so far I’m pleased. Ive also scoured multiple sites and the outfitter and taxi has received very high marks. Ive almost calculated my budget, but need some info on shipping mounts. Most will be shoulder or wall pedals. Can someone give me an average price per animal or cost per lb. I have the packing/handling rate covered but not freight/shipping in my spreadsheet.

Here is my list:

Zebra - rug
Eland - shoulder but showing dewlap
Greater Kudu - floor pedal (making my own out of mesquite)
Nyala - shoulder
Gemsbok - shoulder or wall pedal
Blue wildebeest - shoulder
(2) Warthog - shoulder and euro
Impala - shoulder
Black impala - shoulder
Baboon - full
Carcal - full
Waterbuck - shoulder
Blesbuck - shoulder

Has anyone experienced any issues with taxi work done there?

Thanks in advance!

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232473 04/11/21 03:35 AM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There are tons of horror stories about taxidermy work done in Africa. I’m sure you’ve been on another forum about Africa Hunting... there’s plenty there. I’ve never had any shoulder mounts done there but I’ve had 17 euros and one zebra rug. I’d say the quality is fair on the work I’ve had done. I would much rather have my guy here do them but they’re going dip and pack them there so it would defeat the purpose of having my guy do them. If you’re doing all full and shoulder mounts I would highly recommend Conroe taxidermy or another quality taxidermist near Houston do the work. If you get it back from over there and it’s F’d up you have virtually no recourse. Yes it will cost more but it will be local, I’d bet no matter what the quality will be much better and if you’re spending the money on a safari like that and getting all shoulder/full body mounts spend the extra money and do it right. You won’t regret it.

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232496 04/11/21 04:00 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Good points. I never even considered the recourse piece, which for a trip of a lifetime is a big factor. for what I am into this I won’t go cheap on taxi work. For me and I think most hunters the mount is a memory and that doesn’t have a dollar value to an extent. I have (2) solid taxis but will enquire about Conroe taxidermy. I have heard very positive things about them. Thanks Txhunter65

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232508 04/11/21 04:58 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I have had my done there. The quality, on most of months,is not as good as my taxidermist here, but was about 30% cheaper than here. My next hunt coming up in June, I plan on doing a mix. Flat skins and skulls done there, shoulder mounts here. Good luck on your upcoming hunt. What outfitter are you hunting with and where?

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232517 04/11/21 05:45 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Kuche Safaris. The guy who owns it is named Koos. It’s in the limpopo province.

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232526 04/11/21 09:28 AM
K
Kingsview Safaris Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho

I am leaning toward having the taxi work done their at this point. He has sent me pictures of their In house taxi and so far I’m pleased. Ive also scoured multiple sites and the outfitter and taxi has received very high marks. Ive almost calculated my budget, but need some info on shipping mounts. Most will be shoulder or wall pedals. Can someone give me an average price per animal or cost per lb. I have the packing/handling rate covered but not freight/shipping in my spreadsheet.

Here is my list:

Zebra - rug
Nyala - shoulder
Impala - shoulder
Black impala - shoulder
Baboon - full
Carcal - full
Waterbuck - shoulder
Blesbuck - shoulder

Thanks in advance!

It's awesome to hear you heading out this way to Africa, so mostly want to say Thanks For The Support! Lot of guys had a hard time through Covid lockdown and to see hunters returning to Africa is incredible.

I won't get into the Taxidermy debate about whether to do it in the States or South Africa. What I would highly recommend however is getting in touch with Wyatt from Safari Speciality Importers info@safarispecialtyimporters.com. You can let him know Jono from Kingsview Safaris passed on the recommendation and he will take good care of you. They are excellent at handling all trophy importations as well as any issues that may arise.

All the best sir, and look forward to seeing some photos of your hunt.
Jono

Jono and Justine McHugh
Eastern Cape, South Africa
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
Listen to our Podcast: Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232582 04/11/21 12:10 PM
E
ErikL Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
I had the taxidermy done there in 2017, it turned out great, the turn around was about six months and it was cheaper than my USA option. Now, that said, after researching things for this time around it seems the prices over there have gone up quite a bit, so i will be doing dip and ship

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232705 04/11/21 02:36 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have made 5 trips, and always do my skulls and flat skins over there, and taxidermy over here. They do great work on rugs and backskins, which greatly reduced the shipped weight (thus cost). Air freight/cargo is expensive and they use the volumetric means of charging (dimensional weight). Space in planes is at a premium, so even if lighter, the bigger the box the more it will cost. With reduced air travel because of COVID, they have raised the cargo costs substantially.

All those shoulder mounts will take up a lot of space. Your cheaper option is to use container shipment, which is 200-300% less, but takes forever! Think 6-8 days for air (and faster clearance thru Customs), versus 4-6 WEEKS for surface, then a while for clearance/unloading/delivery from docks to warehouse.

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Blank] #8232720 04/11/21 02:52 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Blank
I have made 5 trips, and always do my skulls and flat skins over there, and taxidermy over here. They do great work on rugs and backskins, which greatly reduced the shipped weight (thus cost). Air freight/cargo is expensive and they use the volumetric means of charging (dimensional weight). Space in planes is at a premium, so even if lighter, the bigger the box the more it will cost. With reduced air travel because of COVID, they have raised the cargo costs substantially.

All those shoulder mounts will take up a lot of space. Your cheaper option is to use container shipment, which is 200-300% less, but takes forever! Think 6-8 days for air (and faster clearance thru Customs), versus 4-6 WEEKS for surface, then a while for clearance/unloading/delivery from docks to warehouse.

Container ship is a brilliant idea!

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232737 04/11/21 03:02 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Have you seen an Eland mount, lots more than my Cape buffalo? Those things are BIG!! Hahaha.

[Linked Image]

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232771 04/11/21 04:00 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Yeah they are huge! A couple of ranches I sell hunts for have them and we have used the front end loader multiple times. That one is going to go to my parents the have 25’ ceilings in the great room. Until we pull trigger on new house several will have to be temporarily at the parents.

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8232921 04/11/21 08:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would have the hides and skulls shipped here and mounted stateside.

That’s what I choose to do after visiting with both African and domestic taxidermists.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8233652 04/12/21 03:20 PM
B
buck wild Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Whatever you save in mounting costs over there will be eat up in shipping costs of those large mounts. So in the end, it probably comes out close in total costs and as noted very likely will get a better mount in the US and be ale to deal with the taxidermist here if something doesn't go smooth.

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: txtrophy85] #8233893 04/12/21 07:18 PM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I would have the hides and skulls shipped here and mounted stateside.

That’s what I choose to do after visiting with both African and domestic taxidermists.

I’ve always thought this would be the best way. Have the taxidermy done in SA up to the point of mounting, then ship home for the rest. That would eliminate the dipping fees and decrease shipping costs. If/when I go some day, I will look into this possibility more thoroughly.

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8233960 04/12/21 08:24 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
I had my taxi work done in SA. I had an "iffy" Kudu cape and knew getting a replacement cape in the US would be near impossible. In my case I was very pleased with the work and price was fair. I used Coppersmith to do my shipping and importing. Was able to pick up directly from their DFW facility when it cleared customs.
Wouldn't hesitate to use them again. https://www.coppersmith.com/

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8233966 04/12/21 08:28 PM
G
George S Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
The quality of taxidermy done in SA is just not up to par with that of a good taxidermist here.

Shipping will be much more expensive for mounts than for hides and skulls, and you will be gouged every step of the way (you are charged by weight or volume, whichever will cost you more).

Delays are to be expected at every step of the way, too. From camp (dip & pack) to taxidermist, from taxidermists to tannery and back, from suppliers of forms to taxidermist, and then it will take (seemingly) forever for them to finish all the work.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8234005 04/12/21 09:10 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
3 of us hunted Limpopo and shot plenty of game. It was our first hunt there. We had the work done there and it arrived here in very good shape. The most amazing thing was the amount of animals they can pack in one big box. Seemed to take forever.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8234067 04/12/21 09:59 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I don't have any personal experience hunting in Africa (yet) but my good friend was in South Africa a couple of years ago. He had skull mounts done there (good quality but they went a little heavy on the shine finish in my opinion) and rugs (outstanding quality, the tanned hides he got there were significantly better than anything I've seen done in Texas) and had them shipped. I think the process went fairly smoothly for him, but it took a while to get that stuff back.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8234115 04/12/21 10:32 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you do want any gun cases made out of backhides, I would recommend having them done over there. Way cheaper.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8234132 04/12/21 10:46 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Creek runner I bet that looks awesome. A gun case with a hide!

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8234267 04/13/21 01:01 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho

Here is my list:
I
Zebra - rug
Nyala - shoulder
Impala - shoulder
Black impala - shoulder
Baboon - full
Carcal - full
Waterbuck - shoulder
Blesbuck - shoulder

Thanks in advance!

Ship capes home especially with shipping costs currently

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8234270 04/13/21 01:04 AM
S
SFRanger7GP Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I have hunted South Africa and Namibia a few times and had my taxidermy done there. It is very good but not great like some of the top names here in the US but the cost is significantly less. I would not bother with taxidermy in the US unless I was going to use one of the top names as many people have no idea how Africa game should look. I totaled up shipping and taxidermy costs from Africa and it was still less money than using a lesser known taxidermist in the US. I have zero regrets getting our taxidermy done in Africa. If you hunt with a reputable PH/Outfitter, he will direct you to a reputable taxidermist and shipper. Koos is definitely one of the good guys. We have a hunt booked with him that was postponed. As soon as international travel is sorted we will be going. Another plus on taxidermy done in Africa, customs doesn't waste time on it. I did shipping container once and the rest were air freight. The difference in cost was minimal.

Safe hunting..............Larry

Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: Mike Honcho] #8234306 04/13/21 01:30 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I have done 5 safaris and have had taxidermy done here in the states and also in RSA. The work I had in RSA was every bit as good as the work I had done here. The taxidermy cost is cheaper in RSA but the cost to ship the finished work is more expensive and still needs to be cleared through USFW and Customs. I'm willing to bet that when it is all said and done the final costs come out about the same. The reason I had work done in RSA was because I had a vaal rhebok that I wanted to get done lifesize and those are an antelope few American taxidermists have a lot of experience with but in RSA they know about them and I wanted to be sure it was done by someone that would do it right. I was not disappointed in the end work.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Shipping Taxi work from SA [Re: SFRanger7GP] #8234310 04/13/21 01:33 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted by SFRanger7GP
I have hunted South Africa and Namibia a few times and had my taxidermy done there. It is very good but not great like some of the top names here in the US but the cost is significantly less. I would not bother with taxidermy in the US unless I was going to use one of the top names as many people have no idea how Africa game should look. I totaled up shipping and taxidermy costs from Africa and it was still less money than using a lesser known taxidermist in the US. I have zero regrets getting our taxidermy done in Africa. If you hunt with a reputable PH/Outfitter, he will direct you to a reputable taxidermist and shipper. Koos is definitely one of the good guys. We have a hunt booked with him that was postponed. As soon as international travel is sorted we will be going. Another plus on taxidermy done in Africa, customs doesn't waste time on it. I did shipping container once and the rest were air freight. The difference in cost was minimal.

Safe hunting..............Larry

It wont be cheaper now for sure shipping has tripled

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide