Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How Much Land [Re: Texas Dan] #8229701 04/08/21 05:22 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
It's the integrity of the sport as defined by the level of challenge placed on the hunter that matters most to me and I'm sure many others. Otherwise, we might as well look forward to days when it's legal to sit on you couch and shoot at live deer using a smartphone app. Such an app could even alert you when there's a deer at the feeder just waiting to be shot, at a certain price of course. IMHO, shooting deer on such small tracts is just another step in that direction.

Ain't going to find fault with someone trying to figure out how to safely and ethically hunt a small place. Beats not hunting at all and could lead to something even better. Wouldn't be my first choice, but neither are brunettes.

Re: How Much Land [Re: freerange] #8229995 04/08/21 09:54 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
It's the integrity of the sport as defined by the level of challenge placed on the hunter that matters most to me and I'm sure many others. Otherwise, we might as well look forward to days when it's legal to sit on you couch and shoot at live deer using a smartphone app. Such an app could even alert you when there's a deer at the feeder just waiting to be shot, at a certain price of course. IMHO, shooting deer on such small tracts is just another step in that direction.

^^Lots on here give Tex Dan a hard time but I cant find a word wrong with this particular statement.

I actually have one neighbor who does pretty much that very thing.

He was shooting towards my ranch headquarters off his 5ac tract, out of his living room window. Then posted about it on FB.. He was pointing directly at my house from 300 yards away, and shot a deer with a high powered rifle.

Game warden had a bit of a chat with him. grin

Here's the photo they posted on FB when they shot towards my house... Off of 5 acres.

[Linked Image]

Re: How Much Land [Re: BbarVRanch] #8230007 04/08/21 10:01 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

^^Lots on here give Tex Dan a hard time but I cant find a word wrong with this particular statement.

He was shooting towards my ranch headquarters off his 5ac tract, out of his living room window. Then posted about it on FB.. He was pointing directly at my house from 300 yards away, and shot a deer with a high powered rifle.

When we hunted in east texas we had a small stretch of fenceline that bordered a subdivision that was comprised of 3-5 acre tracts. Had not been previously hunted or really had anything done to it besides run cattle on it so when we took over we discovered one of the neighbors who lived on 3 acres had a blind and feeder along the fenceline with the field of fire directly facing our tract. Also saw where they had cut the fence, I'm guessing so they could retrieve game that had run off. we patched the hole and went on about our business.

The next year i found our blind windows shot out with a bb gun so i guess they were not happy with our presence

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How Much Land [Re: BbarVRanch] #8230356 04/09/21 07:23 AM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D

Game warden had a bit of a chat with him. grin

Here's the photo they posted on FB when they shot towards my house... Off of 5 acres.

[Linked Image]

I once watched a video of a guy shooting a wildebeest at 400m whilst on a hunt in SA. Luckily he wasn't inconvenienced too much by having to drive to where the game was or exert energy walking after animals or even just climbing into a blind. No, no, no. He shot the animal from the porch of his chalet. He didn't even need to change into his hunting clothes - he was still in his night robe and slippers when he shot the animal! I was shocked and disgusted at what I saw in that video. Someone tried to reason with me that, other than the location being different, shooting an animal from the porch is not that different to shooting from a blind. And that who cares what you are wearing when you shoot an animal? Certainly not the animal. Well, we all see things differently and I just got a sick feeling in my stomach when I watched that video. The above photo gives me a similar feeling. The size of the property that the house happened to be on is immaterial to me. It could have been a 10,000 acre property with the house positioned near the boundary and the effect would have been the same. However, I cringe at the thought of him shooting in an unsafe direction. And at his desire to shoot a deer out of the window of his house. And then crow about it on social media where 19 people had already liked the photo when the screen grab of his page was taken.

Re: How Much Land [Re: FullDraw55] #8230739 04/09/21 03:25 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
How far was the deer from the window?

[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: How Much Land [Re: hook_n_line] #8230831 04/09/21 04:15 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

[Linked Image]

How much land are you hunting?

Re: How Much Land [Re: BbarVRanch] #8230947 04/09/21 05:26 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

[Linked Image]

How much land are you hunting?

Not sure but I could hear beer cans opening and people laughing near buy.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 04/09/21 05:26 PM.

Re: How Much Land [Re: Dimitri] #8231103 04/09/21 07:21 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Dimitri
I once watched a video of a guy shooting a wildebeest at 400m whilst on a hunt in SA. Luckily he wasn't inconvenienced too much by having to drive to where the game was or exert energy walking after animals or even just climbing into a blind. No, no, no. He shot the animal from the porch of his chalet. He didn't even need to change into his hunting clothes - he was still in his night robe and slippers when he shot the animal! I was shocked and disgusted at what I saw in that video. Someone tried to reason with me that, other than the location being different, shooting an animal from the porch is not that different to shooting from a blind. And that who cares what you are wearing when you shoot an animal? Certainly not the animal. Well, we all see things differently and I just got a sick feeling in my stomach when I watched that video. The above photo gives me a similar feeling. The size of the property that the house happened to be on is immaterial to me. It could have been a 10,000 acre property with the house positioned near the boundary and the effect would have been the same. However, I cringe at the thought of him shooting in an unsafe direction. And at his desire to shoot a deer out of the window of his house. And then crow about it on social media where 19 people had already liked the photo when the screen grab of his page was taken.

No term has been thrown around and abused in Texas any more than the word "hunting".

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How Much Land [Re: Texas Dan] #8231151 04/09/21 07:54 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Dimitri

No term has been thrown around and abused in Texas any more than the word "hunting".

Agreed. I put the below text in the antler restriction thread and amount of land doesn't matter just be safe,

I don't want to piss people off but hunting "is being in the right place at the right time" these days. Hunting went away with the modern firearms and grocery stores.

Re: How Much Land [Re: FullDraw55] #8231190 04/09/21 08:33 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"No term has been thrown around and abused in Texas any more than the word "hunting"." Such an entitled, elitist statement.

Re: How Much Land [Re: txtrophy85] #8231229 04/09/21 09:04 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

When we hunted in east texas we had a small stretch of fenceline that bordered a subdivision that was comprised of 3-5 acre tracts. Had not been previously hunted or really had anything done to it besides run cattle on it so when we took over we discovered one of the neighbors who lived on 3 acres had a blind and feeder along the fenceline with the field of fire directly facing our tract. Also saw where they had cut the fence, I'm guessing so they could retrieve game that had run off. we patched the hole and went on about our business.

The next year i found our blind windows shot out with a bb gun so i guess they were not happy with our presence

East Texas is no diffrn't than the rest of the state! taz rofl

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How Much Land [Re: Hudbone] #8231383 04/09/21 11:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
"No term has been thrown around and abused in Texas any more than the word "hunting"." Such an entitled, elitist statement.

Your focus appears to be strictly on the person wanting to shoot the animal. My focus is greater respect for the animal and its ability to use its defenses to survive.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/09/21 11:20 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How Much Land [Re: Texas Dan] #8231499 04/10/21 01:05 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Your focus appears to be strictly on the person wanting to shoot the animal. My focus is greater respect for the animal and its ability to use its defenses to survive.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: How Much Land [Re: skinnerback] #8231560 04/10/21 02:02 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

roflmao

I love that little girl. She says it all , without a single word.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How Much Land [Re: Hudbone] #8231565 04/10/21 02:06 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Would love to see Dan out in east Texas cutting track and stalking whitetail.

Re: How Much Land [Re: Creekrunner] #8231576 04/10/21 02:15 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

roflmao

I love that little girl. She says it all , without a single word.

Yes Sir, she does. Cool little character.

Re: How Much Land [Re: FullDraw55] #8231856 04/10/21 01:48 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by FullDraw55
I stayed off of THF for 10yrs. When someone ask a question and needs some help, help educate them and not make fun of them. You started out not knowing everything. Your parents taught you how to wipe your azz. so shut the hell up and grow up!!!

In spite of your un-warranted smart azz comment I'll try to give you a reasonable answer without laughing. You're only talking about 4 acres, not even legal in many counties, an acre is only 208.7 X 208.7 feet. I can throw a rock farther than that. Trying to keep any caliber rifle inside that small of an area would be tough to do with any guarantee. So my answer would be NO, it's way to small. You could put in a feeder and build a berm around it to contain the shot!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: How Much Land [Re: freerange] #8234004 04/12/21 09:09 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Can you summon the energy to find anything wrong with him throwing an American flag in the trash? Asking for a friend.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: How Much Land [Re: FullDraw55] #8234013 04/12/21 09:23 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If legal, I see no problem. My land, 133 acres in Montague County, has been my only Texas hunting spot for over 40 years. Just make sure, no matter what, that the bullet cannot leave the property. 99% of the time, I'm actually hunting a lot less than 4 acres when I'm watching a feeder with either bow or rifle.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: How Much Land [Re: FullDraw55] #8245411 04/22/21 01:43 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I personally think 4 acres is too small to be firing a rifle and be 100% certain that round isn't crossing boundaries.

I also think its too small to expect every bow shot deer to die within that 4 acres.

So I wouldn't do it.

Re: How Much Land [Re: Texas Dan] #8245461 04/22/21 02:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Wow, think about that for a second, the constraint is on the hunter not the animal. This might be the most ignorant thing you have written. Next to definitely hunting as sport which would mean it’s a BLOOD sport to the nth degree. My dinner wasn’t a sport, the time with my kids passing down outdoor knowledge and efficiencies in taking food isn’t a sport.

“ability to use its defense to survive”. Wow just wow. Please explain how a land deed dictates a deers defenses? It doesn’t. Deer can’t read they don’t know who ownes the land nor do they care, it’s all habitat in which they live.

This whole thread has nothing to due with deer survival ethics/ midget minded fairchase. It’s simply one of recovery ability and projectile safety. That’s it’s.

As always You are just trolling.

Op I hope you get many great memories w/an immense amount of
interactions with nature that soothe soul via your new property

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How Much Land [Re: FullDraw55] #8245668 04/22/21 05:18 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
troll

Re: How Much Land [Re: FullDraw55] #8245757 04/22/21 06:41 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
My 2 cents!!!

A square acre is 208x208 0r 43264 square feet

if you buy a 4 acre square lot which is possible your length and with would be 416 x 416 ft

if you hunt in the middle you'll have a boundary every 208 ft.

A bow fired horizontally will travel about 200'

a 22 will travel about 700 ft

a 30 30 will travel approx 1000 ft.

with a boundary of 208 ft a 4 acre lot is not a safe hunting size as it relates to neighbors.

Shooting down from a stand would be much safer but ensuring you game doesn't run for 208 feet into your neighbors will always be a challenge

If it were me hunting alone a property minimum would need to be 20 to 25 acres which affords a boundary 1000' x 1000'

This addresses somewhat bullet travel and game death runs.

Re: How Much Land [Re: Flashprism] #8247209 04/24/21 11:21 AM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Flashprism
My 2 cents!!!

A square acre is 208x208 0r 43264 square feet

if you buy a 4 acre square lot which is possible your length and with would be 416 x 416 ft

if you hunt in the middle you'll have a boundary every 208 ft.

A bow fired horizontally will travel about 200'

a 22 will travel about 700 ft

a 30 30 will travel approx 1000 ft.

with a boundary of 208 ft a 4 acre lot is not a safe hunting size as it relates to neighbors.

Shooting down from a stand would be much safer but ensuring you game doesn't run for 208 feet into your neighbors will always be a challenge

If it were me hunting alone a property minimum would need to be 20 to 25 acres which affords a boundary 1000' x 1000'

This addresses somewhat bullet travel and game death runs.

You were close!

An acre is 43560 sf.

But I agree with the rest.

(Sorry, the surveyor in me had to come out.. farmer )

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide