Print Thread
Young County Turkey #8225591 04/05/21 03:02 AM
H
HogNut Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Any reports on Turkey hunting in Young? I am going next weekend and couldn't be more jacked up to get in the woods!

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” – Henry David Thoreau
Re: Young County Turkey [Re: HogNut] #8226037 04/05/21 05:00 PM
H
huntingbig8 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Should be good, we hunted just north of Graham sunday, called in a big jake that got a pass, hunted western side near Murray this morning and killed a 2 yr old bird. We have seen big mature birds every hunt but very much still with groups of hens, hopefully will be broken up a little more for you by next weekend.

Re: Young County Turkey [Re: HogNut] #8226216 04/05/21 07:42 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Sw graham. Every gobbler I have seen has been with lots of hens and not responding to calls. Mostly silent too. Though I do admit I have not been trying that hard to hunt them and doing other stuff on the lease. As huntingbig8 said, it will get better or easier to call them soon. Same pattern as most every year.

Re: Young County Turkey [Re: Sniper John] #8226246 04/05/21 08:07 PM
J
jrfan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Sw graham. Every gobbler I have seen has been with lots of hens and not responding to calls. Mostly silent too. Though I do admit I have not been trying that hard to hunt them and doing other stuff on the lease. As huntingbig8 said, it will get better or easier to call them soon. Same pattern as most every year.

I think you are correct. Although, I couldn't kill a spring turkey in a meat market, I hunted most of the day Saturday and never heard/saw one. I do have what you describe on most cameras though. I am west of Newcastle.

[Linked Image]
Re: Young County Turkey [Re: HogNut] #8226262 04/05/21 08:19 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Same here near Murray. Gobblers with big groups of hens on my place. Mostly silent.

Re: Young County Turkey [Re: HogNut] #8244620 04/21/21 06:04 PM
H
HogNut Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Well, the second weekend of spring gobblers showed many opportunities. One large tom and another jake were taken, and a total of 11 turkeys presented themselves to us, but damn they are resilient birds. We arrived at the lease around 6. A buddy and I decided to sit in a stand to scout and see if we could locate some birds. We parked the side-by-side by about 250 yards from a feeder, and there was a tank of a hog that my buddy took with his 300 blk out from 100 yards. All I saw was the tail twitching, and I second-guessed myself thinking maybe that was a cow roflmao . We left the pig and continued to the stand we originally planned on sitting to scout. We turned a corner down a trail, and a hen was roughly 30 yards from us. We stood for what seemed like an eternity but was probably a minute or two, and she wised up and booked it. Once we got to the stand, we started calling, and the hens were in the area and putting back at us. I then spotted two hens coming directly behind us, and then my buddy saw a tom at full strut coming straight for us. This turkey was chasing after the hens and at full strut walked directly under the stand we were sitting in. I took the bird at about 8 yards from the stand and damn near blew his head off. One of the most exhilarating hunts I have been on in my life, spring gobbler hunting might be my new favorite hunts! [Linked Image]

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” – Henry David Thoreau
Re: Young County Turkey [Re: HogNut] #8244863 04/21/21 10:06 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by HogNut
Well, the second weekend of spring gobblers showed many opportunities. One large tom and another jake were taken, and a total of 11 turkeys presented themselves to us, but damn they are resilient birds. We arrived at the lease around 6. A buddy and I decided to sit in a stand to scout and see if we could locate some birds. We parked the side-by-side by about 250 yards from a feeder, and there was a tank of a hog that my buddy took with his 300 blk out from 100 yards. All I saw was the tail twitching, and I second-guessed myself thinking maybe that was a cow roflmao . We left the pig and continued to the stand we originally planned on sitting to scout. We turned a corner down a trail, and a hen was roughly 30 yards from us. We stood for what seemed like an eternity but was probably a minute or two, and she wised up and booked it. Once we got to the stand, we started calling, and the hens were in the area and putting back at us. I then spotted two hens coming directly behind us, and then my buddy saw a tom at full strut coming straight for us. This turkey was chasing after the hens and at full strut walked directly under the stand we were sitting in. I took the bird at about 8 yards from the stand and damn near blew his head off. One of the most exhilarating hunts I have been on in my life, spring gobbler hunting might be my new favorite hunts! [Linked Image]

Congrats cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Young County Turkey [Re: HogNut] #8248077 04/25/21 02:39 PM
T
twdjr Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
up

Previous Thread
Index