Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Business/Hunting Truck #8224260 04/03/21 03:12 PM
D
DStroud Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
For 44 years I have had a furnished company vehicle. My company is going to a vehicle allowance here in next few months.
I started with a 1978 Chevy Nova and last 10 years it’s been Ford Explorer or Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I plan to drive a truck now that I get to choose. I plan to buy new drive it 4 years which is the limit allowed and it should have 150K by then sell and get another.
Here is what I am thinking at this time.
Buy a Tacoma outfit it similar to what Nagalus Prairie did below with the Tundra. My question is will it be comfortable as a everyday highway driving vehicle.
The reason for the Tacoma is highest resale and halfway decent gas mileage since I have to buy now.
I have a like New 2018 Tundra sitting in the garage with 9880 miles on it..... it was supposed to be my retirement vehicle but with the change in policy that may change. Don’t want to use it due to gas mileage.

Been pondering my options so thought I would pose the question for thoughts. Oh and I have “ friend” at Toyota place.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8224393 04/03/21 05:38 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
A two wheel drive F-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost will get excellent fuel economy. It also has a very generous interior. It may rival a Taco for fuel mileage and be full size.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8224395 04/03/21 05:42 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Will the 2018 be for sale?
Also, are you getting the camper so you can haul that monster 8 point around? I would.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: freerange] #8224404 04/03/21 05:59 PM
D
DStroud Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by freerange
Will the 2018 be for sale?
Also, are you getting the camper so you can haul that monster 8 point around? I would.

I haven’t decided on the 2018 yet. The New 2021/22 Tundra is probably what I should get instead of Tacoma but they will not be available until probably December. One part of me wants to sell but the other says hold on to the proven reliable engine as my long term personal use since it’s paid for.
LOL been carrying the 8 point everywhere... they were n Lufkin yesterday as I have a close friend who is Wildlife biologist who I helped Get a few rifles tuned up yesterday and he wanted to see them.
I just love seeing the look on folks face when they grab 18+lbs of antler. cheers

Last edited by DStroud; 04/03/21 06:02 PM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8224437 04/03/21 06:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DStroud
For 44 years I have had a furnished company vehicle. My company is going to a vehicle allowance here in next few months.
I started with a 1978 Chevy Nova and last 10 years it’s been Ford Explorer or Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I plan to drive a truck now that I get to choose. I plan to buy new drive it 4 years which is the limit allowed and it should have 150K by then sell and get another.
Buy a Tacoma outfit it similar to what Nagalus Prairie did below with the Tundra. My question is will it be comfortable as a everyday highway driving vehicle.
The reason for the Tacoma is highest resale and halfway decent gas mileage since I have to buy now.
I have a like New 2018 Tundra sitting in the garage with 9880 miles on it..... it was supposed to be my retirement vehicle but with the change in policy that may change. Don’t want to use it due to gas mileage.

Been pondering my options so thought I would pose the question for thoughts. Oh and I have “ friend” at Toyota place.

While the tacoma has highest resale, it's still tiny and MPG doesn't blow any of the mid size trucks out if the water. Ride wise mid size ford/chevy/dodge 1500 is normally better. Biggest down fall to all is finding a crew cab with 6.5’ bed so you can sleep back there.

At least that's the route that's in my head. I have a major struggle going on w/ my f250

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8224465 04/03/21 07:35 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

While the tacoma has highest resale, it's still tiny and MPG doesn't blow any of the mid size trucks out if the water. Ride wise mid size ford/chevy/dodge 1500 is normally better. Biggest down fall to all is finding a crew cab with 6.5’ bed so you can sleep back there.

At least that's the route that's in my head. I have a major struggle going on w/ my f250

Bobo Ford does make an F-150 with the 6.5’ bed. They don’t make many though. When I bought mine in October there was close to 200 trucks on the lot and only one F-150 with 6.5’ bed. It stood out like a sore thumb.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: wp75169] #8224485 04/03/21 08:11 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by wp75169

Bobo Ford does make an F-150 with the 6.5’ bed. They don’t make many though. When I bought mine in October there was close to 200 trucks on the lot and only one F-150 with 6.5’ bed. It stood out like a sore thumb.

Because they way the handle, you might as well buy a 3/4 ton. The turning radius sucks!

The 2wd 2.7 option wp threw out there is a good one but I wonder if a taco with 150k wouldn’t bring more than the f150 with 150k.

Since you like Toyota and have a connection, I’d pick a trd 4 runner to drive every day and use the tundra just like you do now.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8224608 04/03/21 11:23 PM
D
DStroud Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
The 4 Runner may be the best compromise.... if they got 20-22 mpg it would be a better option.
It’s about 70% highway driving so maybe 20 average is possible.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: wp75169] #8224783 04/04/21 02:38 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Yea I know I specked out two, one with new diesel and a hybrid.... I find it weird I’d have to special order an xlt essentially. I also found it weird f250 with 7.3 is almost same price.

I need a raptor/trx with 600 mile range, deer proof replacement front, and 6.5’ bed.

Hunting New Mexico and CO this year about killed my kidneys.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8224988 04/04/21 01:37 PM
D
DStroud Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
I think the Dodge Rebel would fit my needs perfectly but after reading stories about how long Service was taking along with lower resale value probably won’t go there. When I had Jeeps the service was slow.
My Toyota dealer experiences have been very good so far.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8225123 04/04/21 03:42 PM
M
mooney_ag Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I have been with a car allowance since 2007. Ours is a 6 year max compared to your 4. Oh. And no vehicles with an open bed so no pickups. Covers don't count. First I had a Tahoe and held on to it afterwards for my second vehicle. With that I just went straight for comfort and gas mileage for my next. So I looked at sedans. Drove a bunch and even rented a couple for two weeks each. Made my pick. I still had the Tahoe as second vehicle to use as required. I'm now up to bat again as well. Since my Tahoe finally crapped out I bought a truck for second. I'm looking at suv and sedans but will probably go the sedan route again for mileage. Really looking hard at the certified used to save a few dollars upfront and they usually have a 100k power train warranty. I haven't really considered resale value at the end of the time because I've kept the vehicles for myself or wife. I typically roll the entire allowance straight at the note so it's paid off prior to the six year mark and also limits the original sale price. I want to be awash at the re-up but again no consideration on retail.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8225234 04/04/21 06:34 PM
D
DStroud Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
I work for a family owned business and from talking to the first couple folks who were the guinea pigs we will be given our current vehicles free. Will just have to pay local taxes to move title over. That gives everyone a decent jumpstart.
Mine is 2020 Ford Explorer with 50k so I could drive it but my initial thought is to get the title and just take it to dealer and save paying the tax. Really just depends on when they make the move.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8225550 04/05/21 02:19 AM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Having owned a half ton Chevy and Ford I can tell you from a comfort perspective they win in the comfort category when it comes to driving more than 2-3 hrs. Seat height being my primary complaint. That being said, I bought a Tacoma off road 6 years ago and wouldn’t trade it for either of the others. I was in an opposite scenario, had a company vehicle so I bought the Tacoma for hunting purposes, for the most part. IMO, it’s head and shoulders above anything else for a truck that’s primarily used for hunting purposes. My buddy bought a new Tacoma about 6 months ago on the company allowance program, he’s put about 15k miles on it so far. He’s a pretty big dude (6’4” 230) and he’s been thrilled with it.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8225602 04/05/21 03:17 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Since you have a full size truck I would either get a 4Runner if you want to stay with Toyota, or a Tahoe/Yukon. I see no point in having a mini truck and a full size.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8225687 04/05/21 09:52 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I often wished & dreamed of owning a 4Runner. Never had one.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8225723 04/05/21 11:39 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I did not have a choice. I drove a car that was leased from PH&H. I charged for personal miles.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: bill oxner] #8225828 04/05/21 01:29 PM
D
DStroud Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bill oxner
I did not have a choice. I drove a car that was leased from PH&H. I charged for personal miles.

My first dozen or so company vehicles were also leased from PH&H but now the company I work for just buys them.

My wife had a 4Runner and it was a great vehicle. She wanted to reward Ford for not taking money during the Obama bailout so we traded it in for a Ford. I have not forgotten how much they gave trade-in as I was surprised how well it held it’s value. I actually traded it ( the Ford)in for a Highlander about two weeks before Covid hit.

I buy my wife a new vehicle about every 8-10 years or when she says whichever comes first. cheers
Myself.....personally I have owned 3 vehicles since 1970.... a 66 VW beetle/72 Pinto rolleyes while in college and now the 2018 Tundra. Now that I think about it quite a jump from 1100.00 car to 45k+ truck.

Last edited by DStroud; 04/05/21 01:43 PM.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8225862 04/05/21 02:00 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

Yea I know I specked out two, one with new diesel and a hybrid.... I find it weird I’d have to special order an xlt essentially. I also found it weird f250 with 7.3 is almost same price.

I need a raptor/trx with 600 mile range, deer proof replacement front, and 6.5’ bed.

Increase the towing limit to 10k and I'd be all in on your wishlist. It hurts my soul how much I've been looking at the TRX over the past couple of months since I do not like RAM. Not sure anything else would talk me out of a 3/4 ton

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8227672 04/07/21 12:50 AM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I’ve been on vehicle allowance now for the last 4 years and I don’t like it. I’m driving around 50-55k a year roughly and with the depreciation, maintenance, extra insurance, gas it just doesn’t add up favorable. We are on a 5 year plan I think now. I’m having to replace about every 2 years to even try and not be to far upside down. I have driven a few different cars now and I need a truck so that’s what I drive. This next go around I’ll be parking the truck and buying a car to use. Going to be a while since I just got a new truck last week.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: TLew] #8227737 04/07/21 01:48 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TLew

Increase the towing limit to 10k and I'd be all in on your wishlist. It hurts my soul how much I've been looking at the TRX over the past couple of months since I do not like RAM. Not sure anything else would talk me out of a 3/4 ton

I feel your pain, that TRX is a pretty truck.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: wp75169] #8227769 04/07/21 02:08 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A two wheel drive F-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost will get excellent fuel economy. It also has a very generous interior. It may rival a Taco for fuel mileage and be full size.

Rival hell....it will beat the pants off the taco in terms of milage.

the new Chevy 3.0 diesel would get a strong look from me as well.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8242934 04/20/21 03:43 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

Too pretty...I caved and ordered one

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: TLew] #8242966 04/20/21 04:43 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Baller Status

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: DStroud] #8253798 05/01/21 02:44 PM
A
AAJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Since you have a truck I vote 4runner. I have a 2015 and 2019 4runner and yes, it will get 20mpg on the highway in stock form. Makes a great hunting rig and all of your stuff stays dry and secure. The aftermarket world is endless for them and as you mentioned earlier the resale on them is crazy high.

Re: Business/Hunting Truck [Re: TLew] #8253899 05/01/21 04:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Congrats!!!! Be a fun truck!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide