Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222422 04/01/21 06:57 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Being a D-1 athlete with the intentions of graduation on time is not easy.

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: TX_LT230FH] #8222462 04/01/21 07:23 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
Don't think they should be paid.
Years ago kids wanted to be good athletes in junior high and high school so they could get a scholarship to get into college to actually get an education.
Then it morphed into college is the springboard to the big money.
Yes, universities make big money on athletes and bowl games. And the Athletic department benefits greatly from that, as do other entities in the university.
And college athletes are well taken care of, both legally and otherwise and are given special attention and resources that all students aren't privy to.
If the college athletes are going to be paid during college, they need to be required to obtain a degree and finish a full 4 years before declaring for the draft.

So let's say the next Tom.brady is playing at bama. Jersey hat ticket all the sells are through the roof. Mid season he takes a hit, a career ending hit.

He gets nothing? Though the ncaa and the university made millions off the guy.

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: Hudbone] #8222471 04/01/21 07:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Only 3 schools in the country that do it consistently. Ironically but not a factor all three of those schools pay their players/students. Also note they only have 5 non-STEM degree options out of 28

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222484 04/01/21 07:37 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I was a scholarhsipped D1 athlete, and I have no sympathy for them nowadays. First of all, they know exactly what they're signing up for when the agree to take basically a $100,000 free ride to a much higher quality education than they would likely get otherwise (that being none). They also get special meals, special class availability with tutors, etc that regular paying customers don't get. Most all of them still manage to have expensive tattoos so they must not be totally broke.

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: Jgraider] #8222491 04/01/21 07:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I was a scholarhsipped D1 athlete, and I have no sympathy for them nowadays. First of all, they know exactly what they're signing up for when the agree to take basically a $100,000 free ride to a much higher quality education than they would likely get otherwise (that being none). They also get special meals, special class availability with tutors, etc that regular paying customers don't get. Most all of them still manage to have expensive tattoos so they must not be totally broke.

I was too and disagree 100%. With that said you and I where much different time periods. I wish we had the same transfer rules back then as now, cost me a degree choice

Only eligibility requirements should be GPA and min hour schedule IMO and jobs should be allowed,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222500 04/01/21 07:49 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Been going on forever under the table. Pay the whiners what they ask for. Get em ready for more felonies to commit with the nfl.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222543 04/01/21 08:20 PM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I was already a 5 D's athlete in HS...

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: PappawRock] #8222556 04/01/21 08:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by PappawRock
I was already a 5 D's athlete in HS...

roflmao

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222560 04/01/21 08:36 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
If you think that these players are not being paid you’re wrong.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: Jgraider] #8222570 04/01/21 08:48 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Jgraider

Like you I was a D1 athlete (baseball). I don’t think they should get paid right up until someone directly profits from them and they become a source of revenue for the school. This hasn’t happened for other sports like baseball and likely will never happen outside of football. I was just happy I didn’t play at a big time football school so we had lots of cleat chasers.

Also, most people don’t realize outside of football most scholarships aren’t 100%. I had 65% or 70% out of high school to a mid-tier D1. Now they are a perennial super regional contender. That was a lot of money for one guy, and they sure as hell let me know. When I transferred out, I went down to 35% and that still was a little bit more than average.

The problem is and I was guilty of it (till I realized I was not going to the MLB) a lot of good and stellar D-1 athletes don’t go to get an education. they go to prepare for professional sports. That’s on them, but if that’s why they are there they might as well get paid if they are generating money for the school. I don’t think they should get both scholarship and salary.

I have a lot of teammates that didn’t finish because their 4 years were done and no more money. I had several college coaches force me to take 12 hrs during season, which 3 hrs were kenis classes. instead of the 15-18 I had signed up for toward my major. for my first 1.5 years I complied. When reality set in that a 5’11 RHP throwing upper 80’s to low 90’s was a dime a dozen. I told them to pound sand that my degree and partying (see I’m being honest) was more important.

College coaches and programs run it like a business like in pro sports. I left that school because the coach was forcing me to take remedial math my 5th semester because some of the more talented guys needed “help” and I could “help” them. I had to drop a core class and make it up in summer. I’m not against it if they are making the university money. They should teach these athletes that in a blink of an eye it can be gone and they best get at least an education out of it.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: Hudbone] #8222606 04/01/21 09:06 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222616 04/01/21 09:12 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

[Linked Image]
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222626 04/01/21 09:27 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
If you've never seen this chart before, it may be eye opening for how many scholarships are actually given out and for what sports. As I mentioned before, once you get outside the handful of big D1 sports (football, basketball), the number of kids on full rides is tiny and you get more into partial scholarships that are split out amongst the players on the team. That is also assuming the school fully funds the scholarships to the max number allowed by the NCAA; not all do. For example, a fully funded men's volleyball program at the D1/D2 level is only allowed a max of 4.5 scholarships per team. Each team has around 16-20 players and some of the bigger schools carry 20-25 players. Women's D1 volleyball is similar. They get 12 scholarships per team, can't split them and carry similar team sizes. So the vast majority of those guys/girls aren't getting a dime in athletic scholarships. Ivy league schools are in a whole other category and they aren't allowed to offer any athletic scholarships. The only thing you can get at the Ivies is academic and need based money. So while I would love for my kid to go play volleyball or football or basketball at MIT, I can't afford the 60K/yr it costs to go to MIT.

NCAA Scholarship Limits

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222691 04/01/21 10:13 PM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Plus you'll have the 'trans' dudes playing on the womens' teams, so I guess some more of our lib betters will see to it they get womens' scholarships too...

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222772 04/01/21 11:21 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by fadetoblack64
NCAA is gonna lose..........they gonna have to pay em.

Personally IDGARA.

I agree with you

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222803 04/01/21 11:49 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The NCAA shouldn’t pay them at all. It’s unworkable. The athletes should be allowed to make money off their name, image and likeness. That shouldn’t be debatable. Football and basketball usually are the only money makers (and probably not at all schools). Women’s sports don’t make money, neither do most men’s sports.

But the NCAA doesn’t allow college golfers to give golf lessons during the summer. It didn’t allow a punter to have a YouTube channel for his music that he monetized. Athletes should be able to sell their own t-shirts or be paid for appearances if they can do so. That’s just capitalism.

But it’s not feasible for colleges to pay athletes a salary and never will be.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: gtrich94] #8222806 04/01/21 11:51 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by gtrich94
If you've never seen this chart before, it may be eye opening for how many scholarships are actually given out and for what sports. As I mentioned before, once you get outside the handful of big D1 sports (football, basketball), the number of kids on full rides is tiny and you get more into partial scholarships that are split out amongst the players on the team. That is also assuming the school fully funds the scholarships to the max number allowed by the NCAA; not all do. For example, a fully funded men's volleyball program at the D1/D2 level is only allowed a max of 4.5 scholarships per team. Each team has around 16-20 players and some of the bigger schools carry 20-25 players. Women's D1 volleyball is similar. They get 12 scholarships per team, can't split them and carry similar team sizes. So the vast majority of those guys/girls aren't getting a dime in athletic scholarships. Ivy league schools are in a whole other category and they aren't allowed to offer any athletic scholarships. The only thing you can get at the Ivies is academic and need based money. So while I would love for my kid to go play volleyball or football or basketball at MIT, I can't afford the 60K/yr it costs to go to MIT.

NCAA Scholarship Limits

Football should be excluded from Title IX because there isn’t a women’s sport that has 100 players on it. It’s detrimental to men’s baseball, golf, swimming, etc. Title IX is aiming for the right thing, but is unfair, just like most government regulations.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222819 04/02/21 12:01 AM
R
reed35 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
popcorn

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: pdr55] #8222842 04/02/21 12:25 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by pdr55
Well if they’re going to get paid, then they should pay for their tuition, fees, books, housing and food.
Then, and only then will I go along with paying them.

x2

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: ducknbass] #8222909 04/02/21 01:25 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Years ago kids wanted to be good athletes in junior high and high school so they could get a scholarship to get into college to actually get an education.
Yes, universities make big money on athletes and bowl games. And the Athletic department benefits greatly from that, as do other entities in the university.
And college athletes are well taken care of, both legally and otherwise and are given special attention and resources that all students aren't privy to.
If the college athletes are going to be paid during college, they need to be required to obtain a degree and finish a full 4 years before declaring for the draft.

So let's say the next Tom.brady is playing at bama. Jersey hat ticket all the sells are through the roof. Mid season he takes a hit, a career ending hit.

They didn’t make millions of him. They made millions off the entire program. Saban, the defense, kicker, assistant coaches, etc.
You take chances when you play sports. Like I said, they’re supposed to be going to college to get an education.

[Linked Image]
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: TX_LT230FH] #8222938 04/02/21 02:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ducknbass

They didn’t make millions of him. They made millions off the entire program. Saban, the defense, kicker, assistant coaches, etc.
You take chances when you play sports. Like I said, they’re supposed to be going to college to get an education.

So NCAA and school can sell Johnny footballs autograph but he can’t... got it

College sports is indentured servitude, in which the NCAA determines how much that jobs actually going to cost you to work there.

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8222963 04/02/21 02:46 AM
E
erathar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I'm sure they will get paid, and I'm even more positive that tuition costs will rise for non athletes to cover the additional cost.

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8222982 04/02/21 03:18 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

So NCAA and school can sell Johnny footballs autograph but he can’t... got it

College sports is indentured servitude, in which the NCAA determines how much that jobs actually going to cost you to work there.

3 pages of items for sale per school on the NCAA website and not one of them is personalized to a player. Closest thing I’ve seen for sale at a university supply store is a numbered jersey.
Indentured servitude? Got it. Indentured servitude takes an individual agreeing to some period of labor with an agreement for payment at the end. No college does that.
Tuition, room and board, clothing, tutors, etc.
Athletes choose the school, not vice versa.

[Linked Image]
Re: Paying college athletes [Re: fadetoblack64] #8223185 04/02/21 01:21 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I agree student athletes on scholly should be allowed to work. I still feel not the least bit sorry for them, as they know exactly what they're signing up for, as I expressed previously. Nobody is forcing them to accept free room, board, meals, and $100k worth of education.

Re: Paying college athletes [Re: erathar] #8223226 04/02/21 01:54 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by erathar
I'm sure they will get paid, and I'm even more positive that tuition costs will rise for non athletes to cover the additional cost.

^^^ THIS ^^^

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide