Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Classes for Improving Your Shooting #8220532 03/31/21 02:51 AM
T
texasproud11 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Tired of missing so many dang birds.😅 Is there a class you guys recommend near San Antonio?

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8220730 03/31/21 12:39 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Just go shoot more during the off season, Teach yourself.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8220742 03/31/21 12:49 PM
W
Wayne J Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W

Shoot some skeet and sporting clays.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: rickym] #8220751 03/31/21 12:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Op- first and foremost get your gun fitted. You may have a cant or bad check weld which could be an easy fix.

I had my wife’s gun fitted and to find out she had very long length of pull. With and extension and a slight stock twist her shooting jumping to 50% increase.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8220776 03/31/21 01:18 PM
C
CSD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Last year I realized that I had paid for all types of private lessons for my kiddos to improve on skills in their endeavors but I had never taken any lessons myself.

So I called a local sporting clay place and asked if they did private lessons and scheduled one. I enjoyed it so much that I scheduled a few more for myself and my wife. Has significantly improved both of our shooting. Shooting clays is different than live targets, but technique is technique. We worked on all aspects of shooting. I would highly recommend it.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8220882 03/31/21 02:36 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I think skeet is better than trap- depending on the bird. If you are in a planted dove field the shots will be passing/crossing/side ways and that's what a lot of skeet shots are. It costs more to set up a skeet range but they ought to be more common. Actually instead of the high tower/low tower- use two trap throwers behind berms- so you can shoot at crossing targets- maybe a new game.
QUESTION.....I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but on clay targets you have an object that is slowing down verses a live bird that may be constant or speeding up. On opening day I may miss a few live birds until I get used to the difference. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this- that to hit live birds you have to be doing some constant shooting at live birds.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: Dave Scott] #8221045 03/31/21 04:30 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I think skeet is better than trap- depending on the bird. If you are in a planted dove field the shots will be passing/crossing/side ways and that's what a lot of skeet shots are. It costs more to set up a skeet range but they ought to be more common. Actually instead of the high tower/low tower- use two trap throwers behind berms- so you can shoot at crossing targets- maybe a new game.
QUESTION.....I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but on clay targets you have an object that is slowing down verses a live bird that may be constant or speeding up. On opening day I may miss a few live birds until I get used to the difference. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this- that to hit live birds you have to be doing some constant shooting at live birds.

I personly shoot better on live birds than clays. I average 1 box of shells per limit of 15 dove over the course of the season. First few weeks its 21-23 shells....then a box or little more as the season goes on. I really cannot give advise as I'm self taught but I use to be a horrible shot when I started hunting dove. 2 things changed my shooting. First I started focusing on being strictly "instinctive" in my shooting....that helped a lot. Second was I started practicing mounting my gun the proper and same way each time. Combined with instinctive shooting I shoot with extreme confidence now. When a bird is flying right at you and you move to shoot it....then it slows down a bit to flair another direction....clays can help on that shot. To me the easiest shot I make is a bird flaying cross ways low to the ground and really getting it, fast moving bird...and I see it almost to late. I "instinctively" swing on it and drop it literally every time. If I practice mounting my gun in August and stay true to instinctive shooting, I can put my gun away in October and not pick it up until August....and never miss a beat

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: BDB] #8221184 03/31/21 06:55 PM
16ga Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by Dave Scott

I personly shoot better on live birds than clays. I average 1 box of shells per limit of 15 dove over the course of the season. First few weeks its 21-23 shells....then a box or little more as the season goes on. I really cannot give advise as I'm self taught but I use to be a horrible shot when I started hunting dove. 2 things changed my shooting. First I started focusing on being strictly "instinctive" in my shooting....that helped a lot. Second was I started practicing mounting my gun the proper and same way each time. Combined with instinctive shooting I shoot with extreme confidence now. When a bird is flying right at you and you move to shoot it....then it slows down a bit to flair another direction....clays can help on that shot. To me the easiest shot I make is a bird flaying cross ways low to the ground and really getting it, fast moving bird...and I see it almost to late. I "instinctively" swing on it and drop it literally every time. If I practice mounting my gun in August and stay true to instinctive shooting, I can put my gun away in October and not pick it up until August....and never miss a beat

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8221187 03/31/21 06:56 PM
16ga Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Hope I'm not opposite of you when you're shooting that low crosser. eek2

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8221400 03/31/21 10:04 PM
T
texasproud11 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Op- first and foremost get your gun fitted. You may have a cant or bad check weld which could be an easy fix.

I had my wife’s gun fitted and to find out she had very long length of pull. With and extension and a slight stock twist her shooting jumping to 50% increase.

Whats the best place to get a gun fitted?? I live next to the national shooting complex so I've thought of meandering in

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: CSD] #8221460 03/31/21 11:01 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by CSD
Last year I realized that I had paid for all types of private lessons for my kiddos to improve on skills in their endeavors but I had never taken any lessons myself.

So I called a local sporting clay place and asked if they did private lessons and scheduled one. I enjoyed it so much that I scheduled a few more for myself and my wife. Has significantly improved both of our shooting. Shooting clays is different than live targets, but technique is technique. We worked on all aspects of shooting. I would highly recommend it.

Good first post.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8222008 04/01/21 01:43 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Also learn to shoot a shotgun with both eyes open. Shooting trap in the late 80's I did this and my shooting improved. One eye tracks the target the other one judge's depth perception.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8222146 04/01/21 03:29 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Clay shooting lessons will be money well spent. Are you shooting today with both eyes open? If not, this will be a whole new way of shooting for you . You will probably want to take, and will need, more than one lesson. I used to take about 3 every off season. I good instructor will check gun fit and eye dominance. If you are shooting right handed, hopefully you are right eye dominant, that could be the problem.

Try to find an instructor that bird hunts, and tell him this is what to get good at, and he can tailor his lesson to your needs. Example clay shooters say "pull" with gun already mounted. This is not groining to help bird hunting, you need to say pull with gun down like you are hunting, and when target is flying, sit still like you do hunting, let your eyes focus on the target, then mount your gun and pull the trigger when the gun hits your face.

Skeet shooting lessons all you need for bird hunting. I also think skeet fields are good because they are 40 yards across, about the limit on range for shooting birds, it helps to teach you this range, it helped me a lot to know if birds are out of range, I just think skeet field.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8222231 04/01/21 04:21 PM
C
CSD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
One of the most important things I took away from the lessons was to slow down. I had a tendency to rush my shot (a lot of us do). Before the lessons my first shot was a waste the majority of the time and more consistent with my second shot. After the lessons I became much more consistent. Two birds coming at me, 2 shots, 2 dead birds. I also got to where when I missed I could self diagnose why I missed. Also as said above, I was able to judge better which shots to take and which to pass on.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8222674 04/01/21 09:57 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Have not missed a wild bird in two years
Let the gun do the work and don’t analyze

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8222765 04/01/21 11:17 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted by texasproud11
Tired of missing so many dang birds.😅 Is there a class you guys recommend near San Antonio?

Lot of good advice. If you want lessons then try here. I think lessons from a pro is the quickest and surest route to your goal.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8222869 04/02/21 12:55 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
OP,

What shells are you using?

I ask because I was losing my mind missing shot after shot shooting Winchester X-perts. Like you I was looking for shooting lessons, but the following weekend, I picked up two boxes of Kent.

I dropped everything that was in my sights.

Don't get me wrong. Like others have suggested get out there and practice before the next season, but do pattern the shotshell you're using. May make a world of difference.

[Linked Image]
Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: Guy] #8223035 04/02/21 05:39 AM
T
texasproud11 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I do shoot with both eyes open and honestly a few years ago I was doing okay but then all of a sudden I cant hit the broad side of a barn. Other guys have used my gun and done just fine so something happened. I wasn't that great to begin with so I definitely need the help either way.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: Hopedale] #8223036 04/02/21 05:41 AM
T
texasproud11 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by Hopedale
OP,

I ask because I was losing my mind missing shot after shot shooting Winchester X-perts. Like you I was looking for shooting lessons, but the following weekend, I picked up two boxes of Kent.

Don't get me wrong. Like others have suggested get out there and practice before the next season, but do pattern the shotshell you're using. May make a world of difference.

It usually varies slightly but mostly remington and ones with a decent FPS or my gun stove pipes

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8223193 04/02/21 01:28 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by texasproud11
Originally Posted by Hopedale
OP,

It usually varies slightly but mostly remington and ones with a decent FPS or my gun stove pipes

If shooting a 12 ga. Stay away from 1 oz. Loads they are fast but suck at holding a pattern. I like 1 1/8 #8's in a 12 ga load. This load holds approx. 400 BB's and should help.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8223315 04/02/21 03:04 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Some good advice here so far. Have you had your eyes checked recently? I developed a blind spot in my dominant eye (right) and it has definitely affected my ability to hit with a shotgun. I am trying to adjust and even thinking about switching to being a lefty. I have always shot with both eyes open. You might think about getting checked.

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: angus1956] #8223387 04/02/21 04:05 PM
T
texasproud11 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
[/quote]
If shooting a 12 ga. Stay away from 1 oz. Loads they are fast but suck at holding a pattern. I like 1 1/8 #8's in a 12 ga load. This load holds approx. 400 BB's and should help. [/quote]

Great info!

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: jetdad] #8223388 04/02/21 04:06 PM
T
texasproud11 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by jetdad
Some good advice here so far. Have you had your eyes checked recently? I developed a blind spot in my dominant eye (right) and it has definitely affected my ability to hit with a shotgun. I am trying to adjust and even thinking about switching to being a lefty. I have always shot with both eyes open. You might think about getting checked.

I have and nothing crazy came up though I do wear glasses

Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: texasproud11] #8223500 04/02/21 06:26 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I've found being able to shoot well takes all the fun out of it. grin

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Classes for Improving Your Shooting [Re: hook_n_line] #8223561 04/02/21 07:20 PM
T
texasproud11 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
I've found being able to shoot well takes all the fun out of it. grin

Certainly takes less money laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index