Forums46
Topics537,797
Posts9,729,269
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8219739 03/30/21 12:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have been around enough to know every wild place has its own unique beauty if you are willing to see it. Most people prefer their home range above others. I am no exception because I love the east TX piney woods - though the mountains in the Western U.S. are also hard to beat.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8219747 03/30/21 12:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
[Linked Image]

That view brings back memories of when I was a teenager first learning how to hunt turkeys in Mississippi hardwood bottoms. I can hear in my mind the thunder of an ole Tom has he draws closer to the sound of soft yelps and purrs, my Remington 1100 raised against my shoulder with the forearm resting on my knee. To gain the upper hand against such keen eyesight with a rifle would be pure blasphemy.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/30/21 12:56 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8219801 03/30/21 01:34 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I prefer being able to see a long ways like in W or SW Texas but I’m stuck hunting in swampy thick timber with very limited viewing in NE Tx and SE Ok. but the biggest advantage here is the size of the deer that could step out at any time. The opportunities to shoot a 200” deer are far greater here here than in most other places without paying stupid prices and I kill at least 1 deer a year over 150”s so that’s my motivation to stay in the swamps. I see the beauty in all property’s so to say one type sucks is purely a mindset thing. I’ll hunt in a closet if I think I can kill a mature old freak daddy clap

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: freerange] #8219833 03/30/21 02:02 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by 68A
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I know a lot of people who load up and head west or south to hunt deer.

Don’t know many that load up and head east though......

You can keep that timber country though...keep that and your buck master magazines and your pump action Remington 30-06’s

roflmao roflmao roflmao

I agree with most here and think South and west Tx is a much more beautiful place than a bunch of think pine trees any day of the week.

I disagree.
[Linked Image]

I would be sooooo claustrophobic in a set up like that. Hate it. First thing I would be wanting to cut about six senderos.
I can handle big trees(especially oaks) if there are openings are right of ways. Like was said in the “top or bottom”thread—whichever I can see the most country. To each his own for sure.
Maybe a poll about which set up is preferred.
[Linked Image]

FWIW, there’s only a couple of pine trees in that picture. Mostly oaks and some sweetgum.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8219873 03/30/21 02:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Dan,

I’m curious and I’m sure many others are as well,

What expericance do you have hunting outside of east Texas?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8219878 03/30/21 02:37 PM
G
Giblett Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Hunted East tx all my life and LOVE it but als got a hankering to hunt south or west tx. Ain't nothing like putting the sneak on a cat squirrel and getting a head shot on it with the ole kimber. Never turkey hunted but like to take one with a pistol. Shot prairie dogs in the panhandle and that was fun and saw a lot of mule deer and antelope pretty neat country but ain't much fishing that way. Dove hunted around Priddy and Sweetwater and goose hunted in Katy years years ago Each area is unique and that's what makes Texas the best.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: txtrophy85] #8219916 03/30/21 03:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Dan,

What experience do you have hunting outside of east Texas?

My only experience outside of the Piney Woods of East Texas would be very similar areas in Mississippi. The very liberal bag limits in Mississippi are quite attractive as well.

But your comment brings up a good point. If I were being forced to endure a 10-hour (or more) drive to hunt in different terrain, I would still choose something more "woodsy", such as the hills of the Ozarks or southern Missouri, or those in Tennessee.

As always, to each his own.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/30/21 03:22 PM.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8219973 03/30/21 04:25 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I just assumed that everyone had a deep appreciation for both the desert and deep woods. Each has its own characteristics and incredible beauty. Interesting to see such polarization.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8219987 03/30/21 04:38 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've covered most areas of Texas hunting and they all have their own unique appeal in various ways.

My current situation I have a lease NE of Fairfield that is a mix, the east portion is thick heavy timber piney woods and the west portion sprinkling of pines but a lot of oaks. So kind of a mix depending on where I hunt. MLD3 for about 6 years, so just starting to see the fruits of our labor in growing some decent trophies IF we can keep the newer members from shooting outside what needs to be shot, they will learn with time.

I also have a place in Burnet county that is rocky with lots of cedars, pecan, other hardwoods, fairly flat with some elevation changes towards the back, artesian springs small to medium size deer. Surrounded mostly by national wildlife preserve with draw hunts, so if it's brown, it's down mentality all around. Hard to manage quality here, but we try.

I also have a place SW of Ozona, very rocky, different kind of cedar, deep canyons/draws, surrounded by large ranches that most do pretty good job of managing, others not so much.

I hunting & guided in the Panhandle for a number of years where very good management over many years provided high quality white tail (180+) and mule deer (180+), the terrain was a wide variety from plains, rolling hills to deep canyons.

I have only hunted south Texas brush country a few times and where I was, seemed hard hunting as it was pretty flat with very dense brush and everything seemed to have thorns with lots of snakes. I didn't have any way to get above the brush, so it was all pretty close quarters for hunting small openings and trails.

I have also hunted SW Texas which was a combination similar to south and west Texas with brush, canyons but I had some elevation hunting which made for some really long views to see what might be coming in.

I totally enjoyed all these different areas and seeing different landscape and variety of animals.

Whether I have a 30 minute (Burnet), 2.5-3 hour (east TX), 5-6 hour (west TX), etc. I always look forward to the adventure and plan accordingly.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Marc K] #8219990 03/30/21 04:42 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Marc K
I just assumed that everyone had a deep appreciation for both the desert and deep woods. Each has its own characteristics and incredible beauty. Interesting to see such polarization.

This^^^

I have hunted Georgia bean fields, North Louisiana, East Texas piney woods, Texas Post Oak savannah, Cross Timbers, Edwards Plateau, North Oklahoma (almost Kanasas), and Florida. I see the beauty and have respect for all of them...except Florida. Not a lot of love lost on deer hunting the Florida Swamps. Oceola Turkey hunting in Florida was a ball though.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220042 03/30/21 05:36 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I agree with most here and think South and west Tx is a much more beautiful place than a bunch of think pine trees any day of the week.

Now let's be honest, what is more pleasant on the eyes, miles of nothing but flat land with mesquite or rolling hills of pines and hardwoods?

I grew up on the plains so I really like seeing a horizon unblemished by sight-blocking trees.

[Linked Image]

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Marc K] #8220097 03/30/21 06:30 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Marc K

Me too.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220104 03/30/21 06:38 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
When in the open country, I am wannabe Bill Cody. When in forested lands, wannabe Natty Bumpo. when in the mountains, wannabe Jeremiah.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: txtrophy85] #8220129 03/30/21 06:57 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
keep that and your buck master magazines and your pump action Remington 30-06’s

Wait, what's wrong with a Remington pump 30-06??

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Choctaw] #8220159 03/30/21 07:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Choctaw
I grew up on the plains so I really like seeing a horizon unblemished by sight-blocking trees.

[Linked Image]

Such an area adds true meaning to a place where the only shade is from a barbed wire fence.

grin

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/30/21 07:43 PM.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220166 03/30/21 07:52 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
That's what they make hats for.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220191 03/30/21 08:16 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
This has been a good exercise in how what one may call heaven, another chooses to call hell.

Not sure many of you would warm up to the idea of wading through a snake and mosquito-infested swamp in the middle of the night just to hear a group of coonhounds work a track.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/30/21 08:27 PM.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220213 03/30/21 08:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Dan,

What experience do you have hunting outside of east Texas?

My only experience outside of the Piney Woods of East Texas would be very similar areas in Mississippi. The very liberal bag limits in Mississippi are quite attractive as well.

But your comment brings up a good point. If I were being forced to endure a 10-hour (or more) drive to hunt in different terrain, I would still choose something more "woodsy", such as the hills of the Ozarks or southern Missouri, or those in Tennessee.

As always, to each his own.

Reason I bring it up is, it seems like you are fairly biased towards timber and now I see why, as it’s all you have ever hunted.

First deer hunt I ever went on ( with me behind the trigger ) was in the piney woods. I remember long sits with few deer seen. I liked the country and still do, but it’s more productive for ducks and cattle than deer. Lots of timber country is pretty sterile compared to other areas.

And you don’t have to drive 10 hours. 4 hours west or south of Houston puts you in good deer country. Big bend area is home to mule deer, pronghorn and elk....aoudad sheep if you have the mountains. It’s not comparable at all to hunting whitetails in east Texas.

As far as whitetail country, the most product ones runs lies West and South. Better habitat, more food = more deer.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220233 03/30/21 09:11 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220236 03/30/21 09:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Dan is right. No place better than East Texas. There is no need to see the horizon. What'' it good for anyway? Pine trees, stillness, almost cerebral green beauty and more. All creating a balance which is seldom obtained. For one, I am so glad he and others like him can enjoy it.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Choctaw] #8220238 03/30/21 09:16 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Now let's be honest, what is more pleasant on the eyes, miles of nothing but flat land with mesquite or rolling hills of pines and hardwoods?

[Linked Image]

My first 13 years were in Dalhart........ they were formative for sure...

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Hudbone] #8220251 03/30/21 09:32 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Dan is right. No place better than East Texas. There is no need to see the horizon. What'' it good for anyway? Pine trees, stillness, almost cerebral green beauty and more. All creating a balance which is seldom obtained. For one, I am so glad he and others like him can enjoy it.

scratch confused2

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220272 03/30/21 10:01 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I really should revisit this. I earlier said I didnt prefer hunting ETx to most other areas of Tx and I do stand by that. However, as several have said, I truly think that all areas of our great State offer beauty in various ways. I can also enjoy hunting in all areas, just some more than others. One of the amazing things about Texas is its size and diversity of habitat and terrain etc. Aesthetically everyone can and will look at the differences, well, differently. For me its the "huntability" of the area in regard to how I enjoy hunting and find success along with the aesthetics(less so.) My one lease in NW Tx I love the varied terrain and semi openness out there probably the most. Its conducive to spot and stalk which I love. I also hunt a whole lot yet I rarely kill anything so I enjoy watching over a lot of country. My second and newer lease is just North of DFW area and has a lot of tall and thick hardwoods and underbrush. However there is a lot of 50/100ish ac areas that are mostly open and other smaller "splotchy" openings throughout. I chose to setup in the areas where I can see the openings and along the "edges" of the very very thick stuff. And the bucks are a lot bigger here so I easily endure it not being my favorite habitat/terrain. This area also has a much more diverse natural food source and it really helps grow bigger bucks(but thats off topic).

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220276 03/30/21 10:10 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The wife and I recently made the LONG drive from Houston to West Texas to spend some time in the Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. After spending what seemed like endless hours looking at desolate terrain, I could not help but think of a good friend who once had a lease near Sanderson. All my life, my deer woods have consisted of lush hardwood and pine forest, coupled with green pastures. I'm sure there are those who have good reasons to hunt in such desolate country and would quickly turn up their nose at hunting timber country.

I’m not even sure what the point of this post is.

Also east Texas sucks azz.

Re: Some of you guys must really hate deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8220289 03/30/21 10:19 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
[Linked Image]

That view brings back memories of when I was a teenager first learning how to hunt turkeys in Mississippi hardwood bottoms. I can hear in my mind the thunder of an ole Tom has he draws closer to the sound of soft yelps and purrs, my Remington 1100 raised against my shoulder with the forearm resting on my knee. To gain the upper hand against such keen eyesight with a rifle would be pure blasphemy.

That’s beautiful

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide