Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Weatherby Bolt Stuck #8218490 03/29/21 12:25 PM
texjitter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
So long story short I have a brand new Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag (not weatherby mag) that I shot for the first time this weekend. It has a factory fluted/threaded barrel and my Dead Air Sandman suppressor on it. Shot one round of PPU 180 grain SP and the bolt was almost impossible to cycle. Had to tap it with a mallet to get it to extract the spent shell. After that I took it all apart and examined everything but didn't see any cause for concern. Went back to the shooting bench and fired one round of Barnes TTSX 180 grain and the exact same thing happened. Took the can off just to eliminate another variable yet the issue continued.

First time I've ever dealt with this issue (usually only shoot older Remingtons or Bergaras lately), does anyone else have advice on what seems to be an over-pressure issue?

Open to all comments and concerns

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218492 03/29/21 12:27 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
How do the primers look? Are there any other signs of over pressure? That’s certainly what it sounds like.

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218495 03/29/21 12:30 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Had this happen to me with a Weatherby Mark V. I had to lube the cam assembly on the back of the bolt. I think the bolt designs are different but worth a try.

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218499 03/29/21 12:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Following

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218630 03/29/21 02:32 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
is there a bright ring towards the bottom of the case?

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218646 03/29/21 02:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Saw this on Rok. If it's two different ammo’s it's gun. Chamber issue.

Grease the bolts lugs will help but something isn't right with chamber

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218691 03/29/21 03:31 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Two different ammo doing it, the chamber is too tight. Meaning head space is too short.

Even bolt with no lube should at least open with a bit of force. This is the exact same scenario as reloads that were neck sized only.

Right now, to get your bolt open, do whatever it takes to cam the bolt open. Stand the rifle butt on the ground, hold the muzzle with your left hand, stomp on the bolt handle with your foot. It's ugly business, but that's what has to happen. One of two things will happen, bolt comes open or bolt handle gets broken off.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218721 03/29/21 03:56 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I stuck/hard to open bolt or two in my hot rod reloading days many many years ago. Each time I did, I was at the top of the chart based on a load in a published reloading book. Each time it was in the summer, hot day. I stuck a remington 700 bolt once that I had to take home from the range and use a rubber mallet, not exactly one of my proud moments in reloading. Had a hard bolt on a Weatherby MarkV once too, 7828 was temp sensitive big time. Once on a Savage 338 Win mag and my have been couple of grains below top of chart if I recall. Each time I would have never guessed that load would have caused a problem and brass/primer didnt alway indicate over pressure. One thing that won't lie is Chronograph. The day I had a hard bolt on a Weatherby i was over the charge on Velocity. It was also hot as hell that day.

Factory loads are pretty dang safe. If I stuck a bolt with factory loads, I'd gauge it go/no go.

I had a custom rifle built once that blew the neck open first time I fired it. Come to find out it would close on a no go. Had to get that fixed. No issue with opening or closing bolt, just split neck.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218731 03/29/21 04:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Are you positive your have the correct ammo for the rifle? I cant tell you how many people i have known who bought 7mm rem mag ammo to go in an stw or 7mm wby mag and same for a 300 win/wby mag.

If the ammo is correct, it is a new gun, send it in for service.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218732 03/29/21 04:07 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
If he’s shouting a win I don’t think a wyb will fit at all.

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: wp75169] #8218886 03/29/21 06:12 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by wp75169

I seem to recall a guy at the Carter Country Range up north of Houston years ago closing the bolt on a Wby in a Win Mag. Seems like the story was he bought a new win mag and he was sold Wby ammo. Seem like my old boss was at the range when this happened, I remember him tell us this at work. If I recall, he shot more than one round. I want to say my boss told me the guy shot a full box and came back inside for more ammo and showed them a smashed up spent brass and said something may be wrong.

I wouldn't have though bolt would have closed, but maybe with 9 lugs on a Mag Mark V it might with a lot of force.

Ex-wife had a friend that her father like to lost an eye to shooting 7x57 in a 7 mag. I would never have guess it would have fired but it did.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: Gringocazador] #8218919 03/29/21 06:46 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Gringocazador
Originally Posted by wp75169

I seem to recall a guy at the Carter Country Range up north of Houston years ago closing the bolt on a Wby in a Win Mag. Seems like the story was he bought a new win mag and he was sold Wby ammo. Seem like my old boss was at the range when this happened, I remember him tell us this at work. If I recall, he shot more than one round. I want to say my boss told me the guy shot a full box and came back inside for more ammo and showed them a smashed up spent brass and said something may be wrong.

I wouldn't have though bolt would have closed, but maybe with 9 lugs on a Mag Mark V it might with a lot of force.

Ex-wife had a friend that her father like to lost an eye to shooting 7x57 in a 7 mag. I would never have guess it would have fired but it did.

Bolt will close on a win mag in a wby chamber the 300 weatherby is quite longer than the Winchester.
It’s usually seen at all gun ranges at least once a year during or before deer season.
Puffs the win mag case out really funny and won’t make any velocity.

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8218938 03/29/21 07:10 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
What does the brass look like after firing? Any marks on it from the chamber?

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: J.G.] #8218947 03/29/21 07:15 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
1. Vanguards have a one-piece bolt, so the handle isn't going to "break" off. It will bend first.

2. Sounds like the bolt isn't currently stuck, so I would check for burrs in the chamber as well as camming issues.

3. Post some pictures of your fired brass. One from the side and one showing the spent primer area.

4. Are you having difficulties when chambering a round or only upon firing?

You did what?
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: Texasteach] #8219446 03/30/21 01:55 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texasteach
1. Vanguards have a one-piece bolt, so the handle isn't going to "break" off. It will bend first.

Just because it is one piece, does not mean it will not break off.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: J.G.] #8219562 03/30/21 03:33 AM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by Texasteach

Just because it is one piece, does not mean it will not break off.

Whatever helps you keep the night terrors away Skippy.

You did what?
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: Gringocazador] #8220395 03/31/21 12:14 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Gringocazador
I stuck/hard to open bolt or two in my hot rod reloading days many many years ago. Each time I did, I was at the top of the chart based on a load in a published reloading book. Each time it was in the summer, hot day. I stuck a remington 700 bolt once that I had to take home from the range and use a rubber mallet, not exactly one of my proud moments in reloading. Had a hard bolt on a Weatherby MarkV once too, 7828 was temp sensitive big time. Once on a Savage 338 Win mag and my have been couple of grains below top of chart if I recall. Each time I would have never guessed that load would have caused a problem and brass/primer didnt alway indicate over pressure. One thing that won't lie is Chronograph. The day I had a hard bolt on a Weatherby i was over the charge on Velocity. It was also hot as hell that day.

Factory loads are pretty dang safe. If I stuck a bolt with factory loads, I'd gauge it go/no go.

I had a custom rifle built once that blew the neck open first time I fired it. Come to find out it would close on a no go. Had to get that fixed. No issue with opening or closing bolt, just split neck.

same thing happened to me...to hot of powder and a bit to much, my bad

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8220506 03/31/21 02:14 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I got a Howa in 6.5 and it does the exact same thing. Vanguard is the same rifle. It does this on factory ammo, and brand doesn't matter. I can shoot 4-5 rounds and all the sudden you can't lift the bolt. I sent it to the Howa factory gunsmith (a gun shop in Reno NV) and they supposedly fixed it. They did not. You are fortunate, because you can send yours into the Weatherby service centers, which seem to be a bit more competent. I will see if I can find the repair order on my rifle and post it for you. The problem seems identical.

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8390642 09/19/21 08:24 PM
O
opencoffeenav Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Curious if anyone found any resolution on this. I just had the exact same thing happen to my new Weatherby Vanguard in .300 win mag. It loaded and extracted two different brands of ammo fine prior to attempting to shoot it, and still loads and extracts unfired rounds fine. After the first shot, the bolt would rotate with no issues but felt as if it was locked in place when trying to pull back. I got it open with a mallet, put a drop of CLP on the bolt and the surrounding innards of the action, and fired a second round only to have the bolt stick in place again. There is no visually apparent damage that I can see with the bolt or the the two spent cartridges.

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8394238 09/22/21 08:25 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have a 6.5 300 Wby Magnum. When I first shot it, I had problems with difficult bolt lift and case extraction. I also noticed that the brass had swollen and the primers were flattened. I contacted Wby and sent the rifle in for their inspection. Weatherby "found no issues" with my rifle. After "double checking head space," they test fired 4 rounds and reported that there was some flattening of the primer but declared that this "was normal for the magnum." They also told me that "some expansion of the brass was normal in a magnum cartridge." Later on in their report, the said that they "polished the chamber as a customer courtesy." I got the rifle back from them and it has performed just fine: no hard bolt lift and no hard extraction. The spent brass is still larger, at the belt, than the unfired factory rounds, but I am able to run them through my full length resizing die with no issues but a bit more effort than I am used to experiencing on other large capacity (but not Weatherby Magnum) cases. All in all, I was quite pleased with the manner in which Weatherby handled me and my issues. I have no idea what "fixed" the problem, (I suspect it had something to do with the chamber polishing) but it somehow got fixed and I'm a happy customer.

Last edited by mikei; 09/22/21 08:41 PM.
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8394282 09/22/21 09:28 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8394290 09/22/21 09:40 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Guessing a problem with the chamber and Weatherby found it easier to say, “polished as a courtesy” vs. admitting fault.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: texjitter] #8394374 09/22/21 11:16 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If you shoot something with a wet/oily chamber you can stick brass easy. Was there any grease on the cam, or back side of the bolt lugs?
Clean chamber?
Dry chamber?

New guns often come with some pretty sticky preservative oil.

Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: TAB] #8394478 09/23/21 01:15 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by TAB
If you shoot something with a wet/oily chamber you can stick brass easy. Was there any grease on the cam, or back side of the bolt lugs?
Clean chamber?
Dry chamber?

New guns often come with some pretty sticky preservative oil.

In my case, I did my usual anal-retentive pre-shot routine: cleaning everything I could get a brush and solvent to, so I don't think I had a residual preservative issue. I think the issue was with a chamber that had not been polished as well as it should have been. But I'm not a gun smith, so I really don't know. All I know is that it didn't work when I sent the rifle to them, and it worked when I got it back! And they were good people to work with, and I was not out a single dollar: they paid postage to and from. Hard to beat that in today's environment..

Last edited by mikei; 09/23/21 01:17 AM.
Re: Weatherby Bolt Stuck [Re: mikei] #8397576 09/26/21 12:52 AM
O
opencoffeenav Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Originally Posted by mikei
I have a 6.5 300 Wby Magnum. When I first shot it, I had problems with difficult bolt lift and case extraction. I also noticed that the brass had swollen and the primers were flattened. I contacted Wby and sent the rifle in for their inspection. Weatherby "found no issues" with my rifle. After "double checking head space," they test fired 4 rounds and reported that there was some flattening of the primer but declared that this "was normal for the magnum." They also told me that "some expansion of the brass was normal in a magnum cartridge." Later on in their report, the said that they "polished the chamber as a customer courtesy." I got the rifle back from them and it has performed just fine: no hard bolt lift and no hard extraction. The spent brass is still larger, at the belt, than the unfired factory rounds, but I am able to run them through my full length resizing die with no issues but a bit more effort than I am used to experiencing on other large capacity (but not Weatherby Magnum) cases. All in all, I was quite pleased with the manner in which Weatherby handled me and my issues. I have no idea what "fixed" the problem, (I suspect it had something to do with the chamber polishing) but it somehow got fixed and I'm a happy customer.

Thanks for the feedback! My rifle is already headed back to Weatherby, so we'll see what they say about mine. Did they make you pay for shipping and service since they "found no issues"? I'll post what they tell me once I get it back (estimate 4-6 weeks upon receipt of firearm).

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide