Print Thread
Hogs surrounding a house in Texas #8219116 03/29/21 09:49 PM
D
dustyhog Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Had seen a lot of damage in the homeowners front yard driving to my brother's lease. It so happens that I had just purchased an AGM Taipan 19 thermal monocular and wanted to check out how it was going to perform on my hunt. So after a night of hunting with a couple hogs down and a racoon I decided to go check out the land owner's house and WOW!!! I could not believe the numbers of Hogs that I saw surrounding this house around 1230 at night. Amazing to see the hogs be this bold to encroach within 3 yards of this home with no fear and just destroy this person's yard. [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRIkeYF57Ods2YzZATUxIBQ[/video]

Enjoy

Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8219139 03/29/21 10:06 PM
B
bagster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
When animals lose their fear of people they become more dangerous. I'd pick them all off if at all possible.

?
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8219159 03/29/21 10:25 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I don't understand folks who won't practice any hog control on their properties.

I have one for a client who has an "animal lover" wife. He says he's allowed to go out and scare them off, but they come right back.

Probably a good thing for my Ag Services business, because I get paid quite a bit to repair his hog damage with my tractor and harrow. wink

Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: bagster] #8219201 03/29/21 11:07 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by bagster
When animals lose their fear of people they become more dangerous.

When people lose their fear of animals, the animals become more dangerous as well. Sneaking into folks yards in the middle of the night isn't a loss of fear of humans on the part of the animals, however. All sorts of animals do it and are still fearful of humans, but if no humans (or threats) are around, they will happily take advantage of the resources available in the yard. The animals don't see yards as 'human territory' unless they see the humans out in it. For example, deer still live in mountain lion and bear territory. It isn't that they have lost their fear of mountain lions or bears. As long as none are immediately around, then they don't perceive their to be a problem.

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
I don't understand folks who won't practice any hog control on their properties.

I have spoken with a bunch of landowners about this. Excuses/explanations vary. Some are quite valid. Time/priorities seem to be the biggest factor. A lot of these folks already work 40-80 hours a week and have to balance work with family and everything else going on in their lives. They just don't have time to deal with what they regard as lower level chronic problems. As one told me, hogs are like a leaky faucet that you can never fix. It isn't going to kill you, but it is a pain the arse (he used different language). It is for these reasons several have me hunting hogs for them.

Others are just quirky in their approaches to property management. On every property I hunt, the landowner has a unique set of rules that includes what may or may not be taken, where and when I can hunt, etc. Each perceives the various varmints differently. For example, one fellow provided me with a list of animals that I may and may not take. Of the mammals, I can take any rodents, raccoons, skunks, armadillos, cottontail rabbits, coyotes, bobcats, and hogs, but cannot take opossums, jackrabbits, foxes, deer, or any livestock.

Some landowners, I have found, have a person that comes out from time to time to deal with the hogs, but as near as I can tell, that is usually a buddy or family friend that comes out once a month or so for some recreational hunting. The 'control' aspect is lip service at best.

The really weird ones don't like the hogs, don't do anything about the hogs, and don't want anyone coming on their property to deal with the issue either.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8219261 03/30/21 12:04 AM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
The really weird ones don't like the hogs, don't do anything about the hogs, and don't want anyone coming on their property to deal with the issue either.

Run across those type too.

I carry an AR on my tractors. When I get a client who wants me to shred their ranch, I tell them I carry a rifle to shoot hogs and coyotes I run across when shredding...

Never had a landowner tell me they didn't want me to do that. Usually they tell me "Kill 'em all!"

But you can call that same landowner up and ask to go hunt hogs and coyotes with a thermal, and they give you excuses... Cows, leased already, etc... hammer

Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: BbarVRanch] #8219306 03/30/21 12:30 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
But you can call that same landowner up and ask to go hunt hogs and coyotes with a thermal, and they give you excuses... Cows, leased already, etc... hammer

"Night hunting is dangerous...." bang

Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8219383 03/30/21 01:17 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Let me know how you and Silver Foxxx do at this property if they let y’all hunt

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8219870 03/30/21 02:32 PM
E
ElkOne Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Im surprised that more ranchers don't call a helicopter service. They are dang sure effective.

ElkOne
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: ElkOne] #8219900 03/30/21 03:00 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ElkOne
Im surprised that more ranchers don't call a helicopter service. They are dang sure effective.

Yes, they are, but not universally liked or wanted.

Several reasons...Some heli services want to charge the landowner for the service. Some may not charge, but certainly want contracts that create obligations on the part of the landowner. Poor pilots can wind up spooking livestock, driving them into fences and whatnot. Ranches that are small are often not worth the effort on the part of the helicopter company unless they can be paired with other, larger properties. Heli-hunting hogs during deer season really makes local hunters really mad. Overflight of neighbor properties not being serviced by the helicopter company can make the neighbors really mad. Many landowners are not comfortable with friends on the ground shooting around their livestock, much less strangers in the air that are blasting away.

Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8219921 03/30/21 03:15 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
You could put a trap with a long string and pull that sucker from the bedroom. up

Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8220132 03/30/21 07:02 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
My barndo has several large oaks in the yard, one about 40' from bedroom window, and the other about 60 from front door. I came out one morning to find that all of the ground under the trees had been rooted overnight, while I slept away with the windows open. I never heard the hogs, and I guess my snoring didn't bother them too much. If I would have awoken, I could've tried out my spear!

Last edited by Dalroo; 03/30/21 07:02 PM.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8220216 03/30/21 08:48 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
rifle

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: Dalroo] #8220257 03/30/21 09:39 PM
B
bagster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted by Dalroo
My barndo has several large oaks in the yard, one about 40' from bedroom window, and the other about 60 from front door. I came out one morning to find that all of the ground under the trees had been rooted overnight, while I slept away with the windows open. I never heard the hogs, and I guess my snoring didn't bother them too much. If I would have awoken, I could've tried out my spear!

It could be your snoring is what attracted the hogs. You might try placing a recording of the snoring under the trees, and then hide overhead with spear ready.

?
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8221335 03/31/21 09:21 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by dustyhog
It so happens that I had just purchased an AGM Taipan 19 thermal monocular...

That's pretty good quality video for a $1,500 monocular.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: bagster] #8221398 03/31/21 10:02 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bagster

It could be your snoring is what attracted the hogs. You might try placing a recording of the snoring under the trees, and then hide overhead with spear ready.

Hmmm, might try that!! duel

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: dustyhog] #8222087 04/01/21 02:42 PM
D
dustyhog Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I think the quality of picture in the Taipan 19 is great. Been happy with the performance of the unit.

Re: Hogs surrounding a house in Texas [Re: Dalroo] #8225017 04/04/21 02:11 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

You don’t have outside dogs? If you don’t, get a few. Problem solved.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide