Print Thread
Questions to ask about new deer lease #8211874 03/23/21 02:41 PM
B
booger Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Looking at a possible new lease that is already established with another group. What are some great questions to ask of current members, I know a couple of the guys but have not hunted with any of them or really in the area.

Thanks

Big ones line-up, little ones bunch-up
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8211877 03/23/21 02:43 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
hunter responsibilities, guest privileges, access limitations

Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8211888 03/23/21 02:48 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Personally, I wouldn't come out firing with 50 questions or anything but maybe just ask a couple of priority ones like: "What is the general harvesting philosophy on the lease, mature, age structure, etc.", also, "What are the sleeping arrangements, accomodations within the group, travel trailers, cabin, tents, motels, etc.", "What are the location/stand rules - open (first come/first serve), private with particular areas only to be hunted by each, etc." and lastly, "what are the anticipated costs within/outside of season for each hunter meaning supplemental feed costs, lease maintenance costs, etc.". Could also ask what the "harvest policies are related to how many deer to be taken per hunter/paid spot, etc. and maybe ask for some pictures around recent previous harvests"

Beyond that, you're simply beating a dead horse and being anal and annoying.

Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8211913 03/23/21 02:57 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
how many acres, total hunters are on the lease and guest rules, are hunting areas assigned or shared, feeding philosophy, harvest limits/rules, any livestock, costs, any recent pictures of animals from the lease ... I would also ask if there are written rules or lease agreement and how are those enforced.

times have really changed over time in my opinion.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8211983 03/23/21 04:17 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
IT DEPENDS. You need to think about what is IMPORTANT TO YOU in a lease and then ask questions accordingly. If killing a big buck is important then ask questions accordingly. If you like to drink and party then find out if the rest do to. Etc etc etc. Rank your questions in importance but I would caution you against having too many "deal killer" questions cause its hard to find the perfect lease and you may have to "settle."
I manage two different leases and I have "interviewed" prospective new members many many times and I can tell what type of lease a guy is looking for by his questions. If I think he may be a good fit, then I will help him out by asking him questions that he didnt ask. Ive had guys grill me about the size of every buck weve ever killed and then others that said they like steak on friday night and ribs on saturday and wondered what we usually cooked. IMO your goal should be to find a lease where the person in charge, and hopefully most members, are as "likeminded" as is practical.
It would also depend on if you have already been offered a spot or if you are trying to sell yourself so you will be considered seriously. In our situation its like a job interview, in that, it works both ways. The interviewee has to want on and the interviewer has to want him on. Some leases will give a spot to the first person to write a check but other leases may be asking YOU more questions than you ask them.
You also mentioned talking to "current members" but didnt say you were talking to the person in charge. WHO you are talking to may make a difference in the questions you ask.
Ultimately, your goal should be to first determine what you really want/need out of a lease, and ask questions to find out if this situation fills most of those wants/needs.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: freerange] #8211995 03/23/21 04:25 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by freerange
IT DEPENDS. You need to think about what is IMPORTANT TO YOU in a lease and then ask questions accordingly. If killing a big buck is important then ask questions accordingly. If you like to drink and party then find out if the rest do to. Etc etc etc. Rank your questions in importance but I would caution you against having too many "deal killer" questions cause its hard to find the perfect lease and you may have to "settle."
I manage two different leases and I have "interviewed" prospective new members many many times and I can tell what type of lease a guy is looking for by his questions. If I think he may be a good fit, then I will help him out by asking him questions that he didnt ask. Ive had guys grill me about the size of every buck weve ever killed and then others that said they like steak on friday night and ribs on saturday and wondered what we usually cooked. IMO your goal should be to find a lease where the person in charge, and hopefully most members, are as "likeminded" as is practical.
It would also depend on if you have already been offered a spot or if you are trying to sell yourself so you will be considered seriously. In our situation its like a job interview, in that, it works both ways. The interviewee has to want on and the interviewer has to want him on. Some leases will give a spot to the first person to write a check but other leases may be asking YOU more questions than you ask them.
You also mentioned talking to "current members" but didnt say you were talking to the person in charge. WHO you are talking to may make a difference in the questions you ask.
Ultimately, your goal should be to first determine what you really want/need out of a lease, and ask questions to find out if this situation fills most of those wants/needs.

Sound advice here....

Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8212012 03/23/21 04:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Cellular Game camera ideology eek2

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8212191 03/23/21 07:19 PM
B
booger Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Thanks guys!!
I was asked about joining the lease and know a couple of the current members, one being the lease leader.

I appreciate the thought that was put into the questions and will definitely take advice! This is my first lease to join as others have been our group.

Big ones line-up, little ones bunch-up
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8217310 03/28/21 04:23 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I would advise that you take the flying under the radar approach. Being humble and not coming across as a know it all will go a long way to being accepted.
I would direct my questions to the current members you know one on one, starting with the one you know the best.
Talking one on one you can get a better feel as they will probably share information you wouldn't normally get talking to the group.
As an example: If you ask about filling feeders, work days, camp maintenance, and he answers with, "Oh we all contribute and everyone is great" then that means YOU will be expected to do the same.
That's just one of the things that rubs lease members the wrong way and contributes to drama when someone doesn't participate or comes up with excuses.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8217597 03/28/21 03:37 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers Thar b some awesome advice from previous posts...

Other things ta consider ...

scratch Reason thar b an opening ?
First lease got on twas buck only... $200.00 a year round lease... Roughly hour drive... 1,100 acres...
My reason for getting on lease, (already had place ta hunt buck only), they were seeing hogs, the 24-7-365 hunts...
Twas new ta texas & the leasing thing, every one twas doing it...
That lease, & others ta follow, were basically the same... Lease twas place ta get tagether, camp, & do some hunting, tell stories around campfire... Legal buck twas up ta individual ta take shot or let walk.. No preasure, twas your tag...
We did the family camping (tent) @ parks & such since youngens in diapers... i slept in a jungle Hamilton ta start with.. thar twas an old trailer, slept in it few times, whin another member went with, rofl had rats...
Wife decided bring kids, camp out, opened a drawer, big rat jumped out... She ended up finding a small camper, & it became our lease camp... We were basically only ones, family camp/hunt...
That lease (land) twas threw bank... it sold, We lost lease...
Like you, looked for lease ta get on... Area twas in two buck county, confused2 yet only $250.00 year lease...
scratch Soon found out reason for opening, reason - it went ta 1buck with 2-3 day for a doe... & thar might been other reasons... The so called, games played, had seen on other leases, the dont choot the young bucks, let em walk... Yet, end of season twas, (ground shrinkage)... Seen bro's arguing... One telling other, what they can & cant cull...

Kinda like whin " texasholdem" the poker game caught on... Who twas the fresh fish @ the table...
i pay for my Gov. Food Stamps... & tried ta stay clear of the dramma...

U know your income, what your looking for in a lease... Ask questions, listen, & see if it fits your needs...
Area's that i had, liked ta keep simple, started with a string ta pull rifle, bow up, (twas ypunger) then went with hang-on stands, ta climbing stands, mostly used during archery. Leases on each had own area, opening week end, then twas,put your name (washer) on a peg (stand) .... & yes sat in a few executive stands, out of the cold, & wet.. Me first stand built in sections floor, sides, & top...
Dragged out ta area seen good sign, & hoisted, by hand in tree, tree stand..
hammer didnt have the power tools of today...
liked ta keep things simple, took a tiller, & tilled around the trees, did help out with the others...
cheers twas with a good group, leases were afordable, low-income, & family thang...
Best Wish's... Hope ya find what ya looking for...

Social distancing from MN..
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8217842 03/28/21 08:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My first question would be if bow hunting is permitted and if so, what rules are placed on those who rifle hunt. I don't bow hunt but have learned bow hunters and those who only hunt with a rifle don't always mix well. Bow hunters often want all non-hunting activities to cease on the first day of bow season, which creates a conflict with rifle hunters who are wanting to prepare for the start of the general season. The same logic applies if you're a bow hunter and the expectations you might have for permitted activities during bow season.

I would also try to learn if openings are rare because it usually takes someone to die or move away for openings to become available on the best leases. For the same reasons, the worst leases are always looking for replacement members every year.

I suspect most if not all the remaining questions to help you decide have already been noted.

Good luck.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/28/21 08:50 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8219296 03/30/21 12:25 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Ask why the last group left? If the answer is they were to religious turn and run!

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8223525 04/02/21 06:52 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I think understanding the overall "philosophy" and approach towards management is critical. Is it "if it's brown its down" or "we only shoot 6.5 year olds"? Are the rules softened for youth? what constitutes a "cull" buck? position on doe management?

Personally, I also want to understand the degree of commitment towards hunting from the lessees. At my current place (10 members), 4 of us are hard core hunters, the rest treat the lease like a clubhouse to get away from the families with a little hunting on the side, and as a result we have friction over how to spend funds (i.e. new feeder vs. satellite tv at the cabin). Not a deal breaker since the property is fantastic and big enough for both pursuits, but I would still recommend aligning goals.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: Exiled] #8223538 04/02/21 07:06 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Exiled
I think understanding the overall "philosophy" and approach towards management is critical. Is it "if it's brown its down" or "we only shoot 6.5 year olds"? Are the rules softened for youth? what constitutes a "cull" buck? position on doe management?

Personally, I also want to understand the degree of commitment towards hunting from the lessees. At my current place (10 members), 4 of us are hard core hunters, the rest treat the lease like a clubhouse to get away from the families with a little hunting on the side, and as a result we have friction over how to spend funds (i.e. new feeder vs. satellite tv at the cabin). Not a deal breaker since the property is fantastic and big enough for both pursuits, but I would still recommend aligning goals.

"new feeder vs satellite tv", thats a great example Exiled. Lots of different examples out there on the importance of everyone being aligned and on the same page on philosophy and goals etc. Nothing wrong with the new feeder crowd vs the satellite tv crowd but it would never come up if everyone was like minded(as much as is practical).

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8223626 04/02/21 08:40 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

I have been on a lease where one guy thought he was a game warden, and if he didn't like you he would figure out a way to get you kicked off the lease or call the game wardens on you for "ginned up" BS.

My last lease we had a million foxes, and no small game. The manager didn't want foxes shot, and he didn't want hogs shot in the forest (this was in Europe) only in the fields.

I saw foxes everyday and never saw a wildboar in a field.

But he wanted everyone to camp all night on the fields in hopes of getting one.

I gave my lease up within 3 months. I don't need that much drama.

Had another lease where the guy let his buddy kill 5 bucks because he was retired and lived in the lease. So that killed off the management plan for the place. And everyone else was stuck hunting wild boar, and roe deer does and nothing else.

Same thing called me at 3 am one night and asked me why I wasn't in the tree stand on a week day.

I hate drama.

Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8224672 04/04/21 12:48 AM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The last lease I left was managed by a new manager who wanted all of his fraternity brothers on the lease. It was an OK lease, but a few of us did not call 'soon enough' when it was time to renew.

Having a place to hunt is like having a job and looking for a new one. It is more relaxing to have one and find a new one than not have one and look for a new one.

2cents

Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: texasag93] #8224973 04/04/21 01:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by texasag93
Having a place to hunt is like having a job and looking for a new one. It is more relaxing to have one and find a new one than not have one and look for a new one.

There can also come a time when it's best to move on to force yourself to find a new lease, rather than waiting to see if one will pop up somewhere. I was actually loading my gear from my old lease when I learned of the place I'm leasing alone now.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/04/21 01:20 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Questions to ask about new deer lease [Re: booger] #8228545 04/07/21 07:36 PM
R
roadkill54 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
A lot of good advice already given above. My quick comments would be ...
>Does the ranch have the game
>Are all the lease members on the same page regarding the management plan
>Since your the newbie I would visit one on one discreetly to answer above questions

Life is to short for deer lease drama- I've seen it played way to much.....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide