Print Thread
Anyone ever use hog decoys? #8194644 03/07/21 12:03 AM
W
Whammy Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried hog decoys as a way to lure out shy hogs?

Maybe a couple of decoys along with a caller?

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8194785 03/07/21 01:51 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have wood silhouettes. Deer noticed them and avoided them.. Cattle noticed them and walked over and sniffed them. Coyotes noticed them. One made a complete circle around it before trotting away.

The hogs did not seem to care.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03/07/21 01:51 AM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8194890 03/07/21 03:22 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I have used a cow silhouette to walk out into a wheat field near our lease camp when hogs are out in the open during the day. Ive gotten close enough that I could have thrown a rock and hit em. But there has to be other cows using the field and my blind is black same as the cows when they are present. When the opportunity presents, it has worked maybe half the time. I pulled the trigger on buying the cow blind to keep at our camp house after stalking across the field to within a few feet of a large hog from behind a kitchen chair.

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8206603 03/18/21 02:16 PM
L
L. C. Clower Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Tangent to this discussion, I have shot a ton of geese from behind a plywood cow.

Right-wing Libertarian.
Politically Incorrect.
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8206632 03/18/21 02:44 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
What were they doing behind a plywood cow? grin

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8206638 03/18/21 02:50 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
What were they doing behind a plywood cow? grin

Nice

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8206677 03/18/21 03:22 PM
1955 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
No , but it gives me idea.

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8206767 03/18/21 04:44 PM
S
Sauerkraut Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Never tried it, but they're virtually blind, so I would have a hard time believing it would make much of a difference... scratch

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Sauerkraut] #8207107 03/18/21 10:11 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
Never tried it, but they're virtually blind, so I would have a hard time believing it would make much of a difference... scratch

https://www.outdoorlife.com/biggest-myths-about-hunting-killing-and-eating-big-boars/

"One of the biggest fallacies is hogs are blind, that they can't see very well," Clayton said. "Well, what they see is movement."

Because their heads are low to the ground, a pig's view of the world is often limited. "A big hog's eyes are going to be no more than 30 inches above the ground," he said. "There is brush and bramble blocking their view, so they're peripheral vision is not very good.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: CharlieCTx] #8207426 03/19/21 03:24 AM
W
Whammy Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

https://www.outdoorlife.com/biggest-myths-about-hunting-killing-and-eating-big-boars/

"One of the biggest fallacies is hogs are blind, that they can't see very well," Clayton said. "Well, what they see is movement."

Because their heads are low to the ground, a pig's view of the world is often limited. "A big hog's eyes are going to be no more than 30 inches above the ground," he said. "There is brush and bramble blocking their view, so they're peripheral vision is not very good.

Charlie

I have hunted enough hogs and been spotted enough moving around trying to line up a shot that I whole-heartedly believe they see plenty.

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8207466 03/19/21 04:24 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Forget the decoys, have food ready for them.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8207719 03/19/21 02:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Whammy

Charlie

I have hunted enough hogs and been spotted enough moving around trying to line up a shot that I whole-heartedly believe they see plenty.

Hogs see comparably to humans in a narrow range of binocular vision to their front, but still have decent peripheral vision for things off to the sides. Hogs definitely see much better than humans at night. Hogs can run through the forest at night and not run into trees. I don't know too many people who can do that, LOL.

People often confuse behavior with ability. Just because a hog doesn't run when he sees you doesn't mean he is blind and didn't see you. It just means he didn't perceive you as a threat.

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Sauerkraut] #8208088 03/19/21 07:01 PM
J
Jhop Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Hogs see plenty good. I've found with a 3/4 to full moon I can not get to within 300 yards of them before the hogs decide to vacat the area. The big open fields I hunt that seems to be the safety limit of what they'll tolerate. Now by working any brush and the shadows I can close on them. Staying down wind of course.

Retired U. S. Army, which means I still have to work to make a living.
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8208869 03/20/21 04:10 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Whammy

Charlie

Hogs see comparably to humans in a narrow range of binocular vision to their front, but still have decent peripheral vision for things off to the sides. Hogs definitely see much better than humans at night. Hogs can run through the forest at night and not run into trees. I don't know too many people who can do that, LOL.

People often confuse behavior with ability. Just because a hog doesn't run when he sees you doesn't mean he is blind and didn't see you. It just means he didn't perceive you as a threat.

^^^^^

This is exactly right. And anyone that would make the statement that hogs are 'virtually blind' or suggest they have poor eyesight doesn't know much about hogs.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8210844 03/22/21 06:13 PM
S
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
^^^^^

This is exactly right. And anyone that would make the statement that hogs are 'virtually blind' or suggest they have poor eyesight doesn't know much about hogs. [/quote]

Anyone here! I guess I learn something new everyday. I definitely agree with the movement part. I have stalked within 10yds of so many hogs and have had them look straight at me and not move until they caught my wind or saw movement. I have a hard time believing the "they see just about as well as humans portion", but hey, I didn't major in animal science.

Edit: I was being argumentative. I really don't know much (anything) about hog eyesight.....just going off of experience.

Last edited by Sauerkraut; 03/22/21 06:20 PM.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Sauerkraut] #8210892 03/22/21 06:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
^^^^^

This is exactly right. And anyone that would make the statement that hogs are 'virtually blind' or suggest they have poor eyesight doesn't know much about hogs.

Anyone here! I guess I learn something new everyday. I definitely agree with the movement part. I have stalked within 10yds of so many hogs and have had them look straight at me and not move until they caught my wind or saw movement. I have a hard time believing the "they see just about as well as humans portion", but hey, I didn't major in animal science.

Edit: I was being argumentative. I really don't know much (anything) about hog eyesight.....just going off of experience.[/quote]

And that is the huge mistake people often make, thinking behavior is the same thing as capability. Just because the hog didn't perceive you as a threat does not mean the hog is blind. Hogs can see you without the need to run away.

Can you run through the woods at night without running into trees? Just curious. Hogs can.

People naively think that animals should have some sort of natural fear of humans. That is wrong. Animals must learn fear. Darwin noticed similar behavior of animals in the Galapagos. Having never seen humans before, they had no fear of humans and he was able to catch many specimens by simply walking up and grabbing them, even birds.

Otherwise, I have a buttload of blind cattle on my property as well. They don't run from me, either.

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8210975 03/22/21 08:08 PM
S
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
^^^^^

And that is the huge mistake people often make, thinking behavior is the same thing as capability. Just because the hog didn't perceive you as a threat does not mean the hog is blind. Hogs can see you without the need to run away.

Can you run through the woods at night without running into trees? Just curious. Hogs can.

I concede to the resident biologists and weekend Darwin readers. Seems like I hit a nerve that I didn't intend to.

I apologize for my exaggerated "virtually blind" comment. I guess the point I should've made, which would have been directed more towards the OP's question, is that (IN MY EXPERIENCE) I don't think that a pig would be able to differentiate a person sitting still in a field, a pig decoy, or whatever it may be. And I definitely don't think it would "draw them in", possibly the opposite in some situations.

Double Naught, just to clarify, are you arguing that pigs have just as good (or better??) vision than humans because they don't run into branches in the woods? roflmao Could it be that they have tapered heads, low profiles, excellent memory of trails, and armor plating?

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Sauerkraut] #8214462 03/25/21 06:35 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
^^^^^

..... is that (IN MY EXPERIENCE) I don't think that a pig would be able to differentiate a person sitting still in a field, a pig decoy, or whatever it may be. And I definitely don't think it would "draw them in", possibly the opposite in some situations. ......

Again the event that led me to get a cow blind to use at our lease again was from using a chair as a decoy. I had an old burnt orange 1970s kitchen chair in the corner of our wheat field left there for Dove hunting. I was walking back from a stand and saw one of the biggest hogs I have seen in the field. Even though I could have shot it from where I was standing, on a hunch thinking that hogs don't see that well, I walked on my knees behind the chair moving it a foot at a time until I was only a few feet from the hog. As I moved I could watch it from the space between the back rest and the seat. When I got real close I then laid the rifle over the backrest and shot it. That hog had no fear of that chair whatsoever and ignored me completely. All I could assume was it perceived me as another hog. It was a fun experiment.

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Sniper John] #8214613 03/25/21 08:42 PM
S
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sniper John

Again the event that led me to get a cow blind to use at our lease again was from using a chair as a decoy. I had an old burnt orange 1970s kitchen chair in the corner of our wheat field left there for Dove hunting. I was walking back from a stand and saw one of the biggest hogs I have seen in the field. Even though I could have shot it from where I was standing, on a hunch thinking that hogs don't see that well, I walked on my knees behind the chair moving it a foot at a time until I was only a few feet from the hog. As I moved I could watch it from the space between the back rest and the seat. When I got real close I then laid the rifle over the backrest and shot it. That hog had no fear of that chair whatsoever and ignored me completely. All I could assume was it perceived me as another hog. It was a fun experiment.

That is interesting. If he was feeding, many times they get lost in their own world. I've been able to get within 10yds of a sounder just crouching and walking really slowly. I think they usually just don't notice as long as I don't get winded. I'd be surprised if they saw an object moving towards them and didn't care, no matter what is was, but who knows! Next time, a big boar saunters into the hay field, I'm grabbing a kitchen chair food

Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Sniper John] #8233370 04/12/21 04:28 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Sniper John
^^^^^

..... is that (IN MY EXPERIENCE) I don't think that a pig would be able to differentiate a person sitting still in a field, a pig decoy, or whatever it may be. And I definitely don't think it would "draw them in", possibly the opposite in some situations. ......

Not too surprising. Hogs 'learn' to identify and associate danger with the 'erect' human form. Also our gate, posture and voices. HOW they react to it depends on many things.

I have no doubt I can crawl on my hands and knees out toward a group of feeding hogs in my pasture and get pretty darn close before any of them get nervous about it.

But I am just as certain I can NOT approach much at all if standing straight up and walking toward them. Neither scenario would have anything to do with them being 'able' to see/spot me. Their eyesight is plenty good. It's just the perception of a threat (or not), that will initiate a reaction.

Not too unlike the deer on my property that completely ignore me if I am on a tractor or drive by in one of the familiar ranch vehicles I use. BUT let me step from one of them or walk into a field where they are grazing....and they are GONE...tails flagging the whole way. So....we can't say in the one instance they are 'blind' or don't see well and in the other.... somehow developed excellent vision.

Suffice to say, hogs have pretty darn good vision. How they react to seeing something is quite another subject.

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/12/21 04:30 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Anyone ever use hog decoys? [Re: Whammy] #8240027 04/17/21 01:19 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
My pig wears a colored harness and just hangs around the feeder if you tell him to. Great decoy, the other hogs come running right on in. He doesn't run if you shoot, so a lot of times the others will stay around also and we get more than one.

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide