Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? #8184106 02/26/21 12:06 AM
mulie_mike Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I want to spin protein out of our ASF stand and fill feeders but am worried about them clogging up. I have heard mixed reviews on this.
Does anyone feed protein out of their spin feeders and if so do you have any issues with it clogging?

What brand protein works over others? Does mixing with corn help?

Thanks in advance

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8184198 02/26/21 01:26 AM
G
Giblett Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
It works ok most of the time. Just don't fill them up to the top and make sure no water gets in. My lease is close enough I usually check them after a rainy spell also because they will clog up at spinner plate. I also mix corn in with it. Seems to work better in the hot summer time and had decent luck out of a academy stand and fill feeder. I Like to keep my deer and pigs on a schedule.

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8184644 02/26/21 03:31 PM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Curious why you want to spin protein? I like the traditional protein feeders as it keeps the hogs from getting it and lets the deer have as much as they want. I have often wondered the opposite in how corn would work out of a protein feeder.

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8184690 02/26/21 04:04 PM
G
Giblett Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Also noticed that our deer don't eat as much protein one things start greening up. My personal belief is you would be better off fertilizing pipelines, right of ways and brushy areas along sides of roads.

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: Sewer rat] #8185008 02/26/21 09:33 PM
mulie_mike Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Curious why you want to spin protein? I like the traditional protein feeders as it keeps the hogs from getting it and lets the deer have as much as they want. I have often wondered the opposite in how corn would work out of a protein feeder.

With all the properties I lease I feed free choice protein on them but this is a new ranch I picked up
And we just purchased the new spin feeders but trying to avoid the hit monetarily on purchasing a dozen
Protein feeders until next year.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8185048 02/26/21 10:16 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by mulie_mike

With all the properties I lease I feed free choice protein on them but this is a new ranch I picked up
And we just purchased the new spin feeders but trying to avoid the hit monetarily on purchasing a dozen

Mulie, I've done it before with spincast and it will be fine. Just make sure the top lid is night sealed air tight as protein wicks in heat as you know. I'd mix 70/30, protein to corn as well. One caution will be that deer will not touch protein from ground which gets wet from rain or heavy grass dew even. If ground is dry, you are fine...

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: DQ Kid] #8185052 02/26/21 10:18 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by mulie_mike

Mulie, I've done it before with spincast and it will be fine. Just make sure the top lid is night sealed air tight as protein wicks in heat as you know. I'd mix 70/30, protein to corn as well. One caution will be that deer will not touch protein from ground which gets wet from rain or heavy grass dew even. If ground is dry, you are fine...

When I've spincast the protein with corn, I've generally brought in bigger and more bucks which is a nice side benefit

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8185087 02/26/21 10:51 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Something I’ve learned too while mixing protein with corn, drop your spinner plate down. Adjust the gap/make bigger. Doesn’t stop up as easily.

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: skinnerback] #8185128 02/26/21 11:23 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Something I’ve learned too while mixing protein with corn, drop your spinner plate down. Adjust the gap/make bigger. Doesn’t stop up as easily.

Wow, my experience has been exact opposite, raise the spinner plate to more control the pellets direction it loads and not as much loading, just run spin a little longer. Think feeders can be unique, find the best that works for your given feeder.

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8203569 03/15/21 04:11 PM
B
BiggeSmalls Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I wouldn't waste the money throwing protein like that, any moisture will ruin the pellets once it hits the ground, plus if you have any type of cage around the control box it'll break up the pellet into uneatable crumbs. I'd throw soybean instead, you'll have less issues.

Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8203602 03/15/21 04:40 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
My attempt was not so successful. I put protein in with corn. Well it didn't stop up but the protein seemed to make a slight ball of mush. The corn kept it from stopping up. Then it dried into a cake that rose to the top. Weird result. I'm glad it was during the cold part of the winter so it didn't get totaling funky in the heat.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8204004 03/16/21 01:19 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Record Rack Golden nuggets will work in spin feeders. I have had mixed success with it on deer eating it but in the late Winter and Summer I have seen them eat it. Saw some in Tractor Supply today and reminded me of this thread. It is shaped different than most proteins for work in a spin cast.

Last edited by kmon1; 03/16/21 01:21 AM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Need Help- Protein in a Spin Feeder? [Re: mulie_mike] #8204658 03/16/21 06:43 PM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Try lone star protein pellets. Smaller diameter

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide