Page 1 of 2 1 2
solar farms #8197845 03/10/21 12:21 AM
F
fishbait Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Has anyone hunted where solar farms have built arrays of panels ? What problems could one expect?

Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8198894 03/11/21 12:47 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Hunted next to a 1500 acre farm in September.

Besides being ugly as sin it doesent affect much. A solar farm is useless for wildlife

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8199411 03/11/21 04:20 PM
E
esnow74 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
E
spent the entire season hunting next to one being built. It obviously changed travel patterns as they clear cut the section next door and were working 7 days a week sun up to sun down. They appear to be building many more all around the property. It takes great wildlife habitat and turns it into a GIANT eye sore. I believe the property we hunt is being affected but once done, it should improve the hunting as we will have the only cover and travel corridor outside of wide open solar farms. People fight against the wind farms but must not see what a solar farm looks like. barf

Re: solar farms [Re: esnow74] #8199430 03/11/21 04:34 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by esnow74
spent the entire season hunting next to one being built. It obviously changed travel patterns as they clear cut the section next door and were working 7 days a week sun up to sun down. They appear to be building many more all around the property. It takes great wildlife habitat and turns it into a GIANT eye sore. I believe the property we hunt is being affected but once done, it should improve the hunting as we will have the only cover and travel corridor outside of wide open solar farms. People fight against the wind farms but must not see what a solar farm looks like. barf

The people of Van Zandt county fought like hell and got the Old Jackson project shelved. People here knew what an eye-sore, property value killer, and habitat/range destroyer they are. They certainly can be stopped if the county (and more so the school districts & commissioners courts who are giving the tax abatements) listen and back their constituents. Now we are battling another company leasing in the NW part of the county.

Last edited by Cochise; 03/11/21 04:42 PM.
Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8199464 03/11/21 05:02 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Listened to a lib that works in green energy on a meateater pod cast. He said the plan is to go totally green and they will need a land footprint the size of Texas in order to possibly produce enough energy through wind and solar. The plan is to purchase or use existing public land. Votes matter...solar farms and wind mills are an eyesore that obviously (based on what happen a few weeks ago) don't work!

Re: solar farms [Re: BassBuster1] #8199478 03/11/21 05:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BassBuster1
Listened to a lib that works in green energy on a meateater pod cast. He said the plan is to go totally green and they will need a land footprint the size of Texas in order to possibly produce enough energy through wind and solar. The plan is to purchase or use existing public land. Votes matter...solar farms and wind mills are an eyesore that obviously (based on what happen a few weeks ago) don't work!

i listened to that podcast as well.....when he said it would be projected the footprint would be as big as Texas it didn't go over too well.

I hate solar farms.....hate them. I think Nuclear energy needs to be explored further personally if we need to get away from fossil fuels

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8200383 03/12/21 02:22 PM
E
Espy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
We have a couple around here they look bad.

Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8200616 03/12/21 06:57 PM
S
Schat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The impact will be getting bigger as turbines bet bigger and the repairs get scrapped. There is not much to be recycled on a turbine

Last edited by Schat; 03/12/21 07:03 PM.
Re: solar farms [Re: Espy] #8200782 03/12/21 09:38 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Espy
We have a couple around here they look bad.

They look horrible, and they kill 100% of the native habitat where they are built.

Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8200809 03/12/21 10:03 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Waste of land. When I was hunting last year in Crane I went in a bar that was packed with out of towners that were building a solar farm in McCamey on 800 acres. I thought the windmills were destroying the Tx landscape. These are much worse. I didn’t check that one out but I’ve seen the one south of Abilene.

Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8200940 03/12/21 11:53 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
They are taking over one of my favorite quail pastures.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: solar farms [Re: Schat] #8201660 03/13/21 05:56 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Schat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The impact will be getting bigger as turbines bet bigger and the repairs get scrapped. There is not much to be recycled on a turbine

Respectfully disagree. All components on a WTG can be recycled with the exception of the blades. Which is what you show in your picture. The base, mid, top , nacelle, generator and rotor are all recycled or refurbished. Since the blades are a composite layer of fiberglass, balsa wood and resin they can't be recycled due to the resin compound.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8201696 03/13/21 07:00 PM
M
MClark Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
Last year I hunted dove with a friend who works for an engineering consulting firm, they are involved with a solar farm west of Phoenix that will cover 12,000+ acres. He asked the owners if we could hunt there. They were concerned about use shooting a few doves, he (wildlife biologist) explained they are going to exterminate every creature and plant on the land so the dozen doves aren’t going to matter.

Last edited by MClark; 03/13/21 07:13 PM.
Re: solar farms [Re: BassBuster1] #8201758 03/13/21 09:11 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
To BassBuster1, how well did natural gas work during the outage?

Re: solar farms [Re: Brother Phil] #8203751 03/15/21 07:27 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brother Phil

Mine worked great, I live in the County and have a 500 gal propane tank! I also have a wood stove and had three cords of wood split, stacked, and tarped off ready to go. We stayed warm and cooked food because of that stove. We also had water stored and live right on Ray Roberts, I would have had to cut through the ice but water was readily available. I backpack some and have two water pumps used to purify water if we need it. We are not preppers but we are very prepared and try to live self sufficient with gardening, hunting, and fishing. I am also saving up for a nice generator because the cheaper one I have now failed. The storm taught me once again that we can not ever depend on govt. for our safety, services, or salvation. I also learned that who we can and should depend on is our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ, our families, our church families, our neighbors, and our fellow Texans as there were so many instances where love, kindness and charity were offered as we helped each other get through a tough week.

Government projects being forced on citizens who do not want them are not the answer! I am not saying that drilling holes in every piece of public land is the answer either but at least the land is still useable after the rigs move on. Solar farms ruin completely the land they occupy. Wind farms while not completely ruining the landscape, cheapen for me the grandeur of the space they occupy. I recently stood on a high spot in South Texas close to the Devils River as the sun was dipping below the horizon. Instead of the fantastic sunset, all I could pay attention to were those dang blinking red lights on a distant wind farm. The old commercial of the Native American standing next to a fence with a tear rolling down his cheek came to mind...it was disappointing! There has to be a better way!

Re: solar farms [Re: BassBuster1] #8204042 03/16/21 01:50 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Mine worked great, I live in the County and have a 500 gal propane tank! I also have a wood stove and had three cords of wood split, stacked, and tarped off ready to go. We stayed warm and cooked food because of that stove. We also had water stored and live right on Ray Roberts, I would have had to cut through the ice but water was readily available. I backpack some and have two water pumps used to purify water if we need it. We are not preppers but we are very prepared and try to live self sufficient with gardening, hunting, and fishing. I am also saving up for a nice generator because the cheaper one I have now failed. The storm taught me once again that we can not ever depend on govt. for our safety, services, or salvation. I also learned that who we can and should depend on is our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ, our families, our church families, our neighbors, and our fellow Texans as there were so many instances where love, kindness and charity were offered as we helped each other get through a tough week.

Government projects being forced on citizens who do not want them are not the answer! I am not saying that drilling holes in every piece of public land is the answer either but at least the land is still useable after the rigs move on. Solar farms ruin completely the land they occupy. Wind farms while not completely ruining the landscape, cheapen for me the grandeur of the space they occupy. I recently stood on a high spot in South Texas close to the Devils River as the sun was dipping below the horizon. Instead of the fantastic sunset, all I could pay attention to were those dang blinking red lights on a distant wind farm. The old commercial of the Native American standing next to a fence with a tear rolling down his cheek came to mind...it was disappointing! There has to be a better way!

Amen.

Some would say though, that this is the new normal so get used to it. Just like wearing masks.

I don't want anything to do with the new normal. I want sunrises and sunsets without human interference. I want to go grocery shopping without some brainwashed MSM/CDC fed idiot confronting me about not wearing a cloth mask.

Give me back the 80's & 90's. I could fish wherever I wanted to back then too. Nobody in a uniform screaming GTFO out here right now, in the name of "public safety".

I'm feeling Merle Haggard.

Re: solar farms [Re: Halfadozen] #8204093 03/16/21 02:31 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Originally Posted by Schat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Respectfully disagree. All components on a WTG can be recycled with the exception of the blades. Which is what you show in your picture. The base, mid, top , nacelle, generator and rotor are all recycled or refurbished. Since the blades are a composite layer of fiberglass, balsa wood and resin they can't be recycled due to the resin compound.

A lot more foam core then balsa and you noticed nobody wants to talk about how pvc/polyester core foam is made...

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: solar farms [Re: BassBuster1] #8204095 03/16/21 02:32 AM
llbts1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

Very well said.

Re: solar farms [Re: llbts1] #8204383 03/16/21 02:06 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by llbts1

Very well said.

Agreed

Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8204404 03/16/21 02:26 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Wind farms are bad enough, but solar farms are even worse. Solar farms clear the land where there is nothing for animals or birds to hide. Acre after acre of nothing but panels that rotate to catch the rays of the sun. Not only does it remove the solar farm land from being productive for hunting. It changes travel patterns forever. I would rather try to hunt on a wind turbine farm than a solar panel farm.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8204451 03/16/21 02:58 PM
F
fishbait Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
I appreciate everyone's input..actually haven't seen a solar farm except in pictures. Most folks that own ranches around here will not lease the land out as they loose control...as they say. Good money I suppose but we loose so much that we as hunters see and appreciate that some owners don't see as they may grow up in the city.
In the morning hunts somewhere around 05:00am I used to sit on the steps outside my blind and just listen to the coyotes and give thanks for the ability to hunt. I write the owners and give thanks for being able to lease their land each year when I send off my money. I have leased their land a little less than 30 years..When I leave the lease ..I can't wait til I can return. Loosing the lease will be loosing a big part of my life...with great memories.

Re: solar farms [Re: BenBob] #8204485 03/16/21 03:42 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by BenBob
Wind farms are bad enough, but solar farms are even worse. Solar farms clear the land where there is nothing for animals or birds to hide. Acre after acre of nothing but panels that rotate to catch the rays of the sun. Not only does it remove the solar farm land from being productive for hunting. It changes travel patterns forever. I would rather try to hunt on a wind turbine farm than a solar panel farm.

EXACTLY

Re: solar farms [Re: fishbait] #8210289 03/22/21 02:07 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I hate them. They destroy the land and look like total crap.

Re: solar farms [Re: bigjoe8565] #8210576 03/22/21 01:54 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
I hate them. They destroy the land and look like total crap.

Wildlife and plant life mean nothing to the climate change conspiracy followers.

Re: solar farms [Re: BenBob] #8210663 03/22/21 03:40 PM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by BenBob

From what I’ve seen, You can’t hunt a solar farm. You can hunt around them but they are totally fenced in with high fence. They turn the land that they are built on into toxic dump wastelands.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide