Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stocking fish? #8195287 03/07/21 04:53 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have a 1 acre pond that I've been wanting to stock but not sure which direction to go.

It's only about 9 feet deep.

I've fished it for a year now and also threw a cast net to get a feel for what's in it.

Fishing isn't great, very inconsistent some days can't catch anything.

Mostly catch 10-12 inch bass, have caught a few 4-6 pounders.

Have caught 3-4 sizes of crappie ranging from a few inches to 12-13 inches.

Also has bullhead/polywog catfish in it.

Have also seen and caught 2 species of perch. Cast netted shad.

Lots of evidence of crawdads and have caught a lot of crawdads.

Fish that are caught do look healthy.

I want to improve the fishing. I think I'll add channel cat but can't decide what to do about the crappie and bass.

The fact that there are already crappie in it and seem to be the most populated fish I have a hard time thinking I'll be able to really grow a good number of large bass.

However, everything I read says crappie are hard to keep in pond.

I'd like to make it an awesome crappie pond if possible.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BradyBuck; 03/07/21 04:58 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195289 03/07/21 04:55 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Oh, I also have plans to make this pond at least about 25% larger within the next year.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195293 03/07/21 04:59 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I definitely wouldn't add channel cats. If you want a good crappie pond, keep all the bass you catch out of it. Then id keep a good portion of the crappie too.

You've probably seeing bluegill and red ear. If you catch any sunfish with big mouths, throw them on the bank.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195309 03/07/21 05:11 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The volume of water will tell you what population of fish you can support. Generally, crappie are not recommended for smaller lakes. A great reference is Pond Boss magazine. It addresses everything you need to know about about establishing and maintaining the correct ratio of fish species for the best results. You need a forage fish population before introducing a higher food chain specie. Pond Boss is your friend for this.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: jetdad] #8195313 03/07/21 05:13 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by jetdad
The volume of water will tell you what population of fish you can support. Generally, crappie are not recommended for smaller lakes. A great reference is Pond Boss magazine. It addresses everything you need to know about about establishing and maintaining the correct ratio of fish species for the best results. You need a forage fish population before introducing a higher food chain specie. Pond Boss is your friend for this.

Yeah, I wouldn't typically think about crappie but the fact they are already in there and seem to be the most populated fish makes me think I would have a hard time making it a better bass pond due to what I've read.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195317 03/07/21 05:18 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good luck on the crappie. My pond is about the same size and depth. No luck for me.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195318 03/07/21 05:18 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Crappie will overpopulate quickly. It's hard to have a good smaller pond that will produce nice bass size with crappie in the mix. Too much competition for the available food. The important thing is food source and structure. Establishing and maintaining a good forage fish population is the key to a productive fishing pond. You'll want to feed the forage fish.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195320 03/07/21 05:19 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
To make what jet said simple. You'll need to harvest 10-30# of predator fish for every surface acre. You already have a good base, it's actually surprising you have shad in a pond that small.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195329 03/07/21 05:26 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The size of the fish's mouth tells you where they are on the food chain. If you want a good crappie pond I wouldn't stock bass. I assume you're draining the pond when you enlarge it so you'll be starting from scratch. Thank you KWood that does help clarify.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: KWood_TSU] #8195332 03/07/21 05:27 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
To make what jet said simple. You'll need to harvest 10-30# of predator fish for every surface acre. You already have a good base, it's actually surprising you have shad in a pond that small.

Yes, I was very surprised when I pulled up a cast net with 15-20 3 inch shad in it.

Thus my conundrum..

Supposedly crappie overpopulate quickly yet we don't catch them consistently. They are obviously breeding due to the fact I've caught at least three sizes.

As others have stated I feel like creating a good bass pond is an uphill battle with the fact there are already crappie in it.

So my goal is to try and just make it better for the crappie.

Why no channel cat??

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195337 03/07/21 05:40 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I would turn it into a saltwater pond and stock some redfish..........

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195345 03/07/21 05:50 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’d kill it and start over when you enlarge the tank. Bass, bluegill, red ears, and fatheads. You don’t have enough water for a good crappie lake.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195351 03/07/21 05:59 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Yes, I was very surprised when I pulled up a cast net with 15-20 3 inch shad in it.

Thus my conundrum..

Supposedly crappie overpopulate quickly yet we don't catch them consistently. They are obviously breeding due to the fact I've caught at least three sizes.

As others have stated I feel like creating a good bass pond is an uphill battle with the fact there are already crappie in it.

So my goal is to try and just make it better for the crappie.

Why no channel cat??

They'll breed and also overpopulate. And you get enough of them in there and you'll end up with a muddy pond.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195356 03/07/21 06:00 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Scalebuster really gave the best info.
Killing it is the best thing you can do if you want to restart. You can stock that pond back for roughly $1500

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195358 03/07/21 06:01 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
So much going on in this thread, its really difficult to say what to do until you tell us what your plans are, meaning are you planning on draining it to enlarge or are you going to be digging out areas to enlarge?

If draining, then all fish will be gone anyway, so starting over is the best bet and theres lots of info on stocking a new pond.

If not draining and dealing with the fish in there, then a couple of things need to happen....

Thin the bass if you have consistent catches of bass all the same size. Same thing with crappie. Catching a bunch of the same size fish means there is a stagnation at that size level and either not enough forage to grow bigger or just too many fish of the same size competing for the forage base.

The reason crappie are hard in a small pond is they spawn earlier than bass and bluegill/other panfish, so they are active when the other fish are spawning and the young fry from bass and other panfish get eaten by the crappie instead of them sitting on their spawning beds. In a small pond this can be a bad thing. In a large pond it usually doesnt matter. Crappie are a great forage fish for bass, but you have to get them to a size where they can eat the crappie, and if all the fry are eaten, then the bass will suffer.

My suggestion if not draining the pond is to thin the crappie as you can, and bass that are all the same size. But, if you aren't catching the fish, then maybe there aren't as many fish in there as you think. A good farm pond should be easy to catch fish with a small hook and worms. If you are not getting a consistent bite with a small hook, float, fishing worms, then you probably have a underpopulated pond due to high end predation. Pond management is just like property management, forage (small fish, crawdads, etc) followed by structure, followed by culling (bigger) mouths.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: Texas buckeye] #8195384 03/07/21 06:31 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
So much going on in this thread, its really difficult to say what to do until you tell us what your plans are, meaning are you planning on draining it to enlarge or are you going to be digging out areas to enlarge?

If draining, then all fish will be gone anyway, so starting over is the best bet and theres lots of info on stocking a new pond.

If not draining and dealing with the fish in there, then a couple of things need to happen....

Thin the bass if you have consistent catches of bass all the same size. Same thing with crappie. Catching a bunch of the same size fish means there is a stagnation at that size level and either not enough forage to grow bigger or just too many fish of the same size competing for the forage base.

The reason crappie are hard in a small pond is they spawn earlier than bass and bluegill/other panfish, so they are active when the other fish are spawning and the young fry from bass and other panfish get eaten by the crappie instead of them sitting on their spawning beds. In a small pond this can be a bad thing. In a large pond it usually doesnt matter. Crappie are a great forage fish for bass, but you have to get them to a size where they can eat the crappie, and if all the fry are eaten, then the bass will suffer.

My suggestion if not draining the pond is to thin the crappie as you can, and bass that are all the same size. But, if you aren't catching the fish, then maybe there aren't as many fish in there as you think. A good farm pond should be easy to catch fish with a small hook and worms. If you are not getting a consistent bite with a small hook, float, fishing worms, then you probably have a underpopulated pond due to high end predation. Pond management is just like property management, forage (small fish, crawdads, etc) followed by structure, followed by culling (bigger) mouths.

Not draining the pond, I'm building adjacent and then connecting them.

I am getting inconsistent catches on bass and crappie and even the polywogs. I may go several days with only one caught but then may catch 5-6 one day.

Bass are all about 10-12 inches but crappie range from a few inches to 12+.

I have caught a couple 5-6 pound bass but only a couple over a year.

The most consistent catch is crappie but that is hit or miss.

I had not thought about killing it. It's obviously underpopulated but not sure how to proceed.

How would I go about going killing.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 03/07/21 06:34 PM.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195389 03/07/21 06:42 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195407 03/07/21 07:00 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Contact Salex on the TFF.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195408 03/07/21 07:01 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Not draining the pond, I'm building adjacent and then connecting them.

I am getting inconsistent catches on bass and crappie and even the polywogs. I may go several days with only one caught but then may catch 5-6 one day.

Bass are all about 10-12 inches but crappie range from a few inches to 12+.

I have caught a couple 5-6 pound bass but only a couple over a year.

The most consistent catch is crappie but that is hit or miss.

I had not thought about killing it. It's obviously underpopulated but not sure how to proceed.

How would I go about going killing.

Rotenone to kill.

I would tend to think your bass are overpopulated. Catching the same size is a good indicator. And if you have never taken any fish out, there's too many.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195417 03/07/21 07:09 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
What is after I build the new pond I pump the existing pond dry into the new pond. Any water left over the dam.

Should be able to save the bass and blue gill ore anything else desirable.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: RedRanger] #8195426 03/07/21 07:18 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedRanger
I would turn it into a saltwater pond and stock some redfish..........

They have successfully stocked redfish is fresh water. They do fine but will not reproduce.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195444 03/07/21 07:43 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
What is after I build the new pond I pump the existing pond dry into the new pond. Any water left over the dam.

Should be able to save the bass and blue gill ore anything else desirable.

The problem with introducing bass at the same tome as bluegill is the lack of a good forage base. Most people recommend stocking fingerling bluegill and minnows in the spring of season 1, letting them grow, multiply and get established. Then either fall season 1 or spring season 2 stocking fingerling bass.

If you took the big bass, or any of the bass really, out and put in the new pond along with some bluegill, you will very likely kill your forage base before it can even get started.

If you want to pump and dump fish, save the bluegill/panfish, and dump everything else. Then introduce some bass the next year. Best way to establish a good forage base

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195478 03/07/21 08:24 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Pond Boss has all kinds of information. There's a right way to go about what you want to do. Do your research and get the pond like you want it. Shortcuts usually don't give you desired results. Plenty of good ideas here.

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195487 03/07/21 08:33 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Good thread

Re: Fish Stocking Experts... [Re: BradyBuck] #8195556 03/07/21 10:14 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Rather than guess what populations and ages are I suggest you hire a lake management expert. First thing he should do is come in with a shocker boat and find the true numbers in your tank. From there he can you what you need to keep and what you need to remove.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide