Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: GLC] #8099622 12/22/20 07:46 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GLC
Guess we will just have to disagree. Knowing and doing is two different things. Planning life and real life is also two different things. Life is what happens when you are making plans. Rarely does it ever work out like your plans. Also you cannot build your security in layers when an unexpected emergency comes up and you are by yourself. You have two options, crap on your self or go to the bathroom. Take it from someone that has lived a very long time and have experienced a multitude of unexpected experiences. Also one last thought, you can be a responsible gun owner and still have one stolen from you.

I disagree with you. Life should be a plan, at least as best as possible and yes they're will be deviations along the way. But I'm not talking about life....I'm talking about formulating a plan if your going to the range or the lease. Have a plan on how your going to travel, are you traveling alone or with others, how you're going to secure your guns and property, are you spending the night someplace (hotel), have a plan for temporary stops, are you parking up near the store or in the back of the lot...for pucks sake, have some kind of plan. Refuse to be a pucking victim! Also you should also get your "chitting" problem addressed. Good Luck!

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 12/22/20 08:08 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8099667 12/22/20 08:30 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
We don’t even know what happened here and it’s not really even important. If Cody didn’t leave it in a vehicle, the point is moot. If he did, I’m betting no one wishes he hadn’t more than him.

Can’t stand thieves. Hope you get it back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8099717 12/22/20 09:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I didn't spend a lot of many on the handgun in my truck because I view it as replaceable. I never make stops when leaving the range because of the reports I have see where thieves broke into a vehicle of someone who did. I don't have any decals on my truck that might indicate to thieves that I'm a gun owner, and I NEVER go into Walmart or some other store wearing the same clothes I wear while hunting. Or, to think about it another way, is whatever you need in a store a lot more valuable than the firearms you're leaving behind in your vehicle?

The rule of thumb seems to be an easy one to follow. Never leave anything unattended in public and behind glass that you normally keep locked in a fire-proof safe at home.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/22/20 09:51 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: cabosandinh] #8099720 12/22/20 09:15 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by GLC

. Also one last thought, you can be a responsible gun owner and still have one stolen from you.

This is true. I had a pistol stolen out of my house with me there. To make it worse, he took it off my police vest. That’s the only time I’ve had a gun stolen. I did get it back 2 years later after it made its way through the court system because it was used in a Homicide, which was always my biggest fear about my guns being stolen.

Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: BigPig] #8100076 12/23/20 12:48 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by GLC

. Also one last thought, you can be a responsible gun owner and still have one stolen from you.

This is true. I had a pistol stolen out of my house with me there. To make it worse, he took it off my police vest. That’s the only time I’ve had a gun stolen. I did get it back 2 years later after it made its way through the court system because it was used in a Homicide, which was always my biggest fear about my guns being stolen.

I sold a personal G20 to a customer/friend in the early 90's. He used it to shoot 2 police officers on the side on 75 in McKinney and got himself killed in the process. The police could have cared less about where it came from but it has bothered me for going on 30 years.

Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: BigPig] #8100125 12/23/20 01:27 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GLC

wow...thief was very brazen. did you know him?

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8100449 12/23/20 07:05 AM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Every single person at one time or another has left a firearm locked in their truck that is on this forum, reading these post I guarantee it. You can’t completely safeguard everything you own 24/7.. it’s just not realistic. To say that a guy who has a rifle stolen from his truck is at fault is to say that when the catalytic converter was cut out of my coworkers truck while parked 5 spaces away from the back door of our building at 130 in the afternoon is his fault.

Locks, safes, alarms all stuff to keep a person honest, thieves will be thieves do the best you can to protect your stuff..

I hate thieves, can’t stand seeing the porch pirates that raid my neighborhood, and all the folks who post videos of it, it’s truly eye opening.

Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8101075 12/23/20 09:49 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Don't give up hope. Some thieves are the types that made it possible for some of us to graduate in the top half of our classes. A few years ago a fellow THFer posted that his brother (I believe) had a special rifle stolen out of his truck. It was a left-hand 25-06 Tikka with a custom stock and he posted a pic of it. I remembered that I had seen one just like it for sale on the Tx Gun Trader. I alerted him to it and the Hays County law folks got on it, set up a sting, busted the guy and everything ended up like it should. So, these thieves might be dumb enough to post it for sale on a site like Tx Gun Trader, Gunbroker, etc., so a special rifle like this 308 should be easy to spot. Fingers crossed for recovery of your special rifle.

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8101104 12/23/20 10:16 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Dumb azz thief doesn't even know what he stole. Its a one of a kind and highly customized rifle. I assume, since its stolen the suppressor makes it a Federal Crime. I guess, it could be parted out

just sucks

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8101383 12/24/20 01:36 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
That SUCKS! I hope they find it and the person dies from lead poisoning.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Ag Hunter 78] #8102088 12/24/20 05:24 PM
Cody Malone Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ag Hunter 78
Don't give up hope. Some thieves are the types that made it possible for some of us to graduate in the top half of our classes. A few years ago a fellow THFer posted that his brother (I believe) had a special rifle stolen out of his truck. It was a left-hand 25-06 Tikka with a custom stock and he posted a pic of it. I remembered that I had seen one just like it for sale on the Tx Gun Trader. I alerted him to it and the Hays County law folks got on it, set up a sting, busted the guy and everything ended up like it should. So, these thieves might be dumb enough to post it for sale on a site like Tx Gun Trader, Gunbroker, etc., so a special rifle like this 308 should be easy to spot. Fingers crossed for recovery of your special rifle.

That's one of our hopes and we have also alerted the local ranges and gunshops with photos, discerption and serial numbers.

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8102292 12/24/20 08:26 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
hate to here it Cody, I hate thieves and liars, hopefully what goes around comes around.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8191058 03/03/21 10:16 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
Any updates?

[Linked Image]
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8192202 03/04/21 10:00 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Sorry to hear about your rifle being stolen. I hope it is found and you get it back in undamaged condition. I despise a thief and hope the jackwagon who stole your rifle gets what he deserves.

As to what thieves deserve: Fitting punishment in my opinion would be to cut off a hand upon being convicted of any theft. It would make those who have been caught easier to identify, watch, and shun. They also could only carry 1/2 as much stolen goods from that point on. If you have traveled on many extended out of town hunting trips, you have left a firearm in a vehicle while you tend to other matters...

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 03/04/21 10:22 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: BigPig] #8193498 03/05/21 10:07 PM
R
rowdy Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by GLC

The wheels of justice up your way must turn faster than they do in Bexar County. My folks had their home broken into back in March 2016. Guns stolen. One rifle used in another breakin tin which they used it to shoot someone. The way the Sheriff’s investigator explained it, because the DA’s office had had multiple turnover, every time a new DA gets elected, and new Asst DA’s are hired, the investigation starts over or gets pushed back. We still haven’t received it back to this date.

Moos Firearms & LTC Training
Texas DPS LTC Instructor
Texas DPS School Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
coachmoos at hotmail.com
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: maximum] #8195188 03/07/21 03:13 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by maximum
Actually, you should be able to set anything down anywhere
at any time and go shop or poop or eat supper or whatever
and whatever you sat down should still be right there untouched
by any other person.
For whatever reason, people have forgotten that you're not supposed
to f*** with things that you know damned a-well don't belong to
you, and you should show respect for another's belongings
as you should be able to expect the same in return from everyone
else.
If you know something doesn't belong to you ( and everyone knows
exactly what belongs to them and what doesn't) don't mess with it

Thievery should always be severely punished because there's not
any legitimate or excusable reason for it

This! I cant believe people have forgotten this basic tenet and want to blame the victim.

Last edited by GNTX; 03/07/21 03:23 PM.
Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: GNTX] #8195209 03/07/21 03:37 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GNTX
Originally Posted by maximum
Actually, you should be able to set anything down anywhere
at any time and go shop or poop or eat supper or whatever
and whatever you sat down should still be right there untouched
by any other person.
For whatever reason, people have forgotten that you're not supposed
to f*** with things that you know damned a-well don't belong to
you, and you should show respect for another's belongings
as you should be able to expect the same in return from everyone
else.
If you know something doesn't belong to you ( and everyone knows
exactly what belongs to them and what doesn't) don't mess with it

Thievery should always be severely punished because there's not
any legitimate or excusable reason for it

This! I cant believe people have forgotten this basic tenet and want to blame the victim.

That "basic tenet" has long been forgotten. That's why we need to take preventative measures to make sure our property is NOT stolen.

Re: Stolen Horizon .308 [Re: Cody Malone] #8195777 03/08/21 01:49 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
We had a guy show up at the lease in a mini-van. After we gave him hell about it (he also looked like Jerry Garcia) he told me, "thieves would never have a clue what I drive around with." Then he showed me some of the hardware he rolls with. No way this guy would be profiled as a hunter or gun owner. I drive to and from the lease in a 4WD F-150 with a trailer and ATV behind it that screams guns inside. I could do better, but I don't have to stop to and from the lease.

I'm sorry about rifle and wish you luck in getting it back.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide