Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8191972 03/04/21 06:08 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by LanceH
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Keep the ground clear. Don't leave them any hiding places. The grass dies if you leave the stand over an extended period of time. One of my popups has been in the same place for 2 years. I jus go out about every six months and spray it with campguard water repellent and uv protection.

Wow 2 years.

Yes Sir. The one with "the living room chair" roflmao in it has been there 2 years. I just put campdry with uv protection on it. I have it staked down with auger type stakes and keep the windows closed if I don't forget. lol.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8192033 03/04/21 07:22 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
this photo is not mine, but was posted here on THF before.
[Linked Image]

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8192170 03/04/21 09:34 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Since this is the beginning of the off season Why don't you set yourself up a popup blind and just randomly sit in it over the next month and see what you can see? Get a little practice in staying still and see what scent control works if you want to use it. If you want to leave your blind out in a specific spot the animals will be well used to it by the time the season starts again.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8192190 03/04/21 09:50 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
POP ups cannot be just dropped and hunted same day, like you some times see. Put them out and let the critters get used to them. Scent controls is done like anything else, play the wind. Have more than one setup so you can hunt depending where the wind blows.

If they didn't work, you wouldn't see them every year being sold.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8193409 03/05/21 08:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
They also hold a surprising amount of heat from a Little Buddy or similar catalytic, propane heater with no exposure to CO. Just leave an inch or two crack in the windows to allow for oxygen to enter the blind. The Little Buddy Heater comes with a low-oxygen shut off.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/05/21 08:57 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: Texas Dan] #8193425 03/05/21 09:12 PM
L
LanceH Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
L
Wouldn't the deer smell the heater?

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8193431 03/05/21 09:17 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Wouldn't the deer smell the heater?

I actually think the burn off masks human scent. I've seen the walk right down wind, throw their heads up, look around and just go back to feeding. Kind of works like ozonics. shhhh. don't tell anyone.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 03/05/21 09:19 PM.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8201193 03/13/21 03:09 AM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
so i am in a 6x4 box blind with 3 steps on a 3ft riser. i have had hip replaced, knee surgery and back surgery. This still works fine for me.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8203507 03/15/21 03:10 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I have 3 old (about 10 years) Ameristep hub style pop up blinds that are heavier material. I spray each year with a rain repellant. Put them up late summer, brush them in really good and about 1x month had some more fresh cut brush. A couple stay up until January and always keep one for on the move. I also have a large Cabela's XL brand that 3 people can fit and 2 very comfortably. I keep this one for taking friends.

But for a couple permanent locations near feeder sets, I have built hay blind style using similar plans as described by STX. I can sit in these all day, lil buddy for heat and poor man a/c cooler for hot hog hunts.

my advice, get a good portable and also build you a good large size and make it comfortable with good height and width for drawing bows, using tripods for crossbows and/or rifle and just get outdoors often and enjoy. The wind is your friend an enemy if you do not respect it.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #8204543 03/16/21 04:35 PM
L
LanceH Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
I have 3 old (about 10 years) Ameristep hub style pop up blinds that are heavier material. I spray each year with a rain repellant. Put them up late summer, brush them in really good and about 1x month had some more fresh cut brush. A couple stay up until January and always keep one for on the move. I also have a large Cabela's XL brand that 3 people can fit and 2 very comfortably. I keep this one for taking friends.

But for a couple permanent locations near feeder sets, I have built hay blind style using similar plans as described by STX. I can sit in these all day, lil buddy for heat and poor man a/c cooler for hot hog hunts.

my advice, get a good portable and also build you a good large size and make it comfortable with good height and width for drawing bows, using tripods for crossbows and/or rifle and just get outdoors often and enjoy. The wind is your friend an enemy if you do not respect it.

Thanks.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8205382 03/17/21 11:51 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Besides snakes, my only concern while using my ground blinds is the vapor from my ThermaCell, As expected, it works great at keeping the inside of my blinds mosquito free, but I've often wondered if there are any health issues using it in a somewhat enclosed space like a ground blind.

For what it's worth, I was able to find these comments after searching the web...

Although the Thermacell is EPA approved and uses allethrin (a synthetic version of a substance found in Chrysanthemums) instead of DEET, warnings include keeping the lantern away from uncovered food during operation and avoiding directly inhaling the vapor. Allethrin is also highly toxic to fish, bees and cats.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/17/21 11:54 AM.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: Texas Dan] #8205770 03/17/21 05:01 PM
L
LanceH Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Besides snakes, my only concern while using my ground blinds is the vapor from my ThermaCell, As expected, it works great at keeping the inside of my blinds mosquito free, but I've often wondered if there are any health issues using it in a somewhat enclosed space like a ground blind.

For what it's worth, I was able to find these comments after searching the web...

Although the Thermacell is EPA approved and uses allethrin (a synthetic version of a substance found in Chrysanthemums) instead of DEET, warnings include keeping the lantern away from uncovered food during operation and avoiding directly inhaling the vapor. Allethrin is also highly toxic to fish, bees and cats.

I have heard it causes issues with some people. I have also wondered if deer smell it. I know they claim it has a natural smell but it is definitely not natural to me.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8206072 03/17/21 11:02 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
killed more deer out of pop than any other, just takes a little planning

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8206127 03/17/21 11:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I have heard it causes issues with some people. I have also wondered if deer smell it. I know they claim it has a natural smell but it is definitely not natural to me.

I use the earth-scented pads in my ThermaCell but have no idea if they make a difference to a deer's nose.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: Huskerron] #8214597 03/25/21 08:22 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by Huskerron
I have 4 of them. A hub blind from Barronett. A large Doghouse Blind from Ameristep (with floor). A regular Ameristep doghouse without a floor. And a one man blind that essentially is just a lawnchair with folding arms that a blind pulls over. I'll get back to them in a minute. I have hunted antelope, turkeys and deer from them for about 10 years. Recently I have acquired a river lease which requires using treestands due to visibility issues due to the high river grass. I have one more year left on that lease so I will suffer through hunting out of a ladderstand. Freezing my fanny and not being able to relieve myself comfortably without risking life and limb or climbing down. I am lookiing forward to going back to groundblinds. Here is what I have learned about ground blinds. Wearing black is useful if you do not want the critters to see movement. Last year I had an antelope walk within 10 feet of my blind and he never knew I was there. That was in a hayfield with round bales. I set it up right next to one of the bales though (why not?). Chair - Unless you enjoy sitting on your private parts, do not buy the the three legged stool that sticks up in front. I usually use my crossbow out of it and I shoot off a tripod. The springsteel type blinds you have to twist up (Ameristep mostly) are actually easier than a hub blind to set up and put away if you figure out how to do it. I usually have to take it out in back yard and train for a day to remember how to do it. The hub blinds are easy to do same, you just don't have to train for a day. The hub blinds are usually heavier. Not something you would want to put across your shoulder and haul in and out of canyons. The regular Ameristep without the floor. Possibly portable with a stool. Would be more comfortable than one man but there would be a cost in terms of effort. The large Ameristep Doghouse with the floor. I don't live in poisonous snake country but I hunt there. A floor gives you tremendous peace of mind. Portability - If you are running and gunning for turkeys or hunting remote canyons for archery deer, this set up provides portability and you can throw it over your shoulder. Heat - The day I shot that antelope with my crossbow, it was 89 degrees. Inside that blind I'm sure it was well over 100. I was about to leave when I saw him coming from about 1/3 mile away. Dress appropriately when it's hot. A person could suffer heat stroke in one at those temps. Short sleeves and shorts wouldn't be far off. All that would be exposed to the window would be your arms. I open an opposing window just a few inches when it's hot to create a cross breeze and a little visibility but you want to be careful not to silhouette yourself. Wind damage - we had 50 mph winds come through last fall. The Barronett and the floorless Ameristep were up and I couldn't get out there. They were well staked down and maybe the Doghouse was a little more exposed than the Barronett. No damage to Barronett. One of the fiberglass bungy type tent poles snapped in half on the Ameristep. I called Ameristep Customer Service in early November for a replacement. I have contacted them approx. 4 times since. They say it's Covid and can't get the parts but I am still waiting. We'll see. The Barronett hub blind - I have sat in it all day from 1/2 hour before sunup to 1/2 hour after sundown.at -20 degree windchill. Got cold but it broke the wind and I survived. No way could I have hunted that day from a ladderstand. From a comfort standpoint, if two people are hunting together, I would only use the Barronett hub blind or the large Doghouse with a floor in it. The Surround view from Primos that you can see through would be a cool concept but I have no experience there.

Just wanted to let people know that Ameristep contacted me today and told me that finally, the folding tent poles have arrived and I should be receiving mine within the next few days. Ameristep is at the low end of the price spectrum but their blinds do get the job done. My faith is restored in their product and their customer support. I do believe the delays were covid supply related and most likely the poles come from China.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: LanceH] #8219239 03/29/21 11:42 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Poles arrived via UPS tonite. Excellent company to do business with. Excellent customer support staff also.

Re: Pop-Up Blinds??? [Re: Huskerron] #8220044 03/30/21 05:39 PM
L
LanceH Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by Huskerron
Poles arrived via UPS tonite. Excellent company to do business with. Excellent customer support staff also.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide