Print Thread
410 bore ammo #8190550 03/03/21 02:59 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Anyone found a place to buy some on line without paying $2-2.50 per round? Or do any of you who live within an hour or so of Mason have some you would like to sell? PM me, please.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8190580 03/03/21 03:13 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
410 ammo is just expensive, has been as long as i can remember.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: redchevy] #8190597 03/03/21 03:26 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by redchevy
410 ammo is just expensive, has been as long as i can remember.

Yes, I know; but it's gone from expensive to freakin' outrageously expensive (along with most other ammunition) but I was hoping to find someone who had bought a pile of it, pre-Covid/ammo shortage era, and was willing to part with it for a more reasonable, pre-Covid/ammo shortage price.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8190703 03/03/21 04:44 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Have you considered taking up loading your own? I shoot 410 a lot. Both bird hunting and skeet. You can save serious money reloading 410. Loading a couple flats of 410 will save enough to pay for a single stage mec.

410 is the most expensive to buy and the cheapest to load.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 03/03/21 04:46 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: Smokey Bear] #8190810 03/03/21 06:31 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Have you considered taking up loading your own? I shoot 410 a lot. Both bird hunting and skeet. You can save serious money reloading 410. Loading a couple flats of 410 will save enough to pay for a single stage mec.

410 is the most expensive to buy and the cheapest to load.

Smokey, I reload a LOT of brass ammo, both hand gun and rifle, but never have reloaded any shotgun shells The price and availability of factory loads is driving me ever closer to reloading the 410!

Can you give me a detailed list of the hardware and supplies I'll need? And am I going to find the same problems with getting reloading components? Primers, wads, shot? Is there one particular supplier that I can use for "one stop" shopping for all I need? I would appreciate any help or direction you can give me.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8190882 03/03/21 07:32 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
You will need hulls (new or range pick up)
you can buy new hulls with or without primers already set (in normal times) or you can re-use your previously shot shells (what I do) or you can pick up shells at the range. Not all hulls can be reloaded but most Federal, Win, Rem can. The issue is slight misfit of the primer (a little too loose on some brands of hulls- not really a problem). Shotshell hulls can be reloaded 3-5 times depending on the hull and how hot a load.

You will need 209 shotshell primers. I like Federal

You will need shot, or slugs .... what ever you want. Shot is of course heavy...buy locally

You will probably want shot cups to hold the shot/slug (without shot cups you will need wadding, over powder & over shot cards)...go with shot cups. The shot cup must align with the powder load and shot load to give the correct height for the chosen shell. Tables for reloading on every powder makers web site.

You will need powder (Clays for example) see above

You will probably want a loading press (YouTube is ripe with hand loading shot shells without a press but it is slower and may not yield as consistent a result)
The cheapest press you can buy is Lees Loadall. Components include (1) de primer (2) primer/re-sizer (3) powder dispenser (4) shocup inserter (5) shot dispenser (6) pre-crimping-crimping station. You will need a powder scale to check the powder being dispensed. Both powder and shot are dispensed volumetrically by means of a charge bar with bushings to adjust (roughly) the target volume. [lot of Youtube videos showing the steps in detail]. Check weights with your scale!

I always add an overshot card for small bird shot (7.5-8). I punch the card from old cereal boxes using an appropriate sized paper punch from a hobby/crafts store.

Most refs you find will claim reloading shot shells will not save money. True for 12 or 20 gauge- obviously not true for 410! I load 12 gauge and at best break even (probably not now). But I can load very customized shells that I can't buy at any store.

Hope this helps

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: fishfree] #8190887 03/03/21 07:34 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
On line sellers I use are Midway and Grafs. There are others

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: fishfree] #8190954 03/03/21 08:28 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by fishfree
You will need hulls (new or range pick up)
you can buy new hulls with or without primers already set (in normal times) or you can re-use your previously shot shells (what I do) or you can pick up shells at the range. Not all hulls can be reloaded but most Federal, Win, Rem can. The issue is slight misfit of the primer (a little too loose on some brands of hulls- not really a problem). Shotshell hulls can be reloaded 3-5 times depending on the hull and how hot a load.

You will need 209 shotshell primers. I like Federal

You will need shot, or slugs .... what ever you want. Shot is of course heavy...buy locally

You will probably want shot cups to hold the shot/slug (without shot cups you will need wadding, over powder & over shot cards)...go with shot cups. The shot cup must align with the powder load and shot load to give the correct height for the chosen shell. Tables for reloading on every powder makers web site.

You will need powder (Clays for example) see above

You will probably want a loading press (YouTube is ripe with hand loading shot shells without a press but it is slower and may not yield as consistent a result)
The cheapest press you can buy is Lees Loadall. Components include (1) de primer (2) primer/re-sizer (3) powder dispenser (4) shocup inserter (5) shot dispenser (6) pre-crimping-crimping station. You will need a powder scale to check the powder being dispensed. Both powder and shot are dispensed volumetrically by means of a charge bar with bushings to adjust (roughly) the target volume. [lot of Youtube videos showing the steps in detail]. Check weights with your scale!

I always add an overshot card for small bird shot (7.5-8). I punch the card from old cereal boxes using an appropriate sized paper punch from a hobby/crafts store.

Most refs you find will claim reloading shot shells will not save money. True for 12 or 20 gauge- obviously not true for 410! I load 12 gauge and at best break even (probably not now). But I can load very customized shells that I can't buy at any store.

Hope this helps

Thanks very much, fishfree! Is component availability an issue for the 410 bore like it is for almost everything else?

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8190961 03/03/21 08:36 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Well, darn! I just went to the Lee site and they showed Load All's for several gauges (none in stock!), but none for the .410 bore, and a note that said they were not making nor did they plan to make a Load All for the 410 bore! Now where do I go to find a press?

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8190975 03/03/21 08:45 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Here you go. This is a half ounce load. Hulls and wads are not interchangeable. Hulls can be picked up at most skeet fields for free. With no cost attributed to hulls and working with components I acquired prior to the current shortage, my cost is $3.86/box.
Components:
Win AA HS hull-hull of choice for 410 of currently produced hulls
Claybuster 5050-410HS wad
Win 209 primer
H 110 powder
Shot-Eagle is imported and cheaper. Remington STS and Lawrence magnum is 5% antimony and harder. It patterns tighter but is more $.

Standard AA is around 1200 fps. Patterns will have a dense “hot spot” in the core of the pattern. 16.9 grains will get you up around 1325 fps and even out your patterns.
Finding primers will be your biggest challenge but 209’s are easier to find right now than center fire metallic cartridge primers. Shot shell loads are not worked up to. Lyman shot shell manual is a good source for data. A mec 600 single stage can be had new for around $200. That is the most popular single stage. A mec size master single stage is what I use and will run you around $300 new. Both are good presses. H 110 is also popular for loading full house .357 magnum pistol so if luck is on your side, you may already have some.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 03/03/21 08:55 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8191158 03/03/21 11:41 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
410 ammo

In stock and $1/round

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8191334 03/04/21 02:19 AM
T
TLoving Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
In San Antonio April 6-11 at the National Shooting Complex the Southwest Regional Grand Trapshoot is scheduled to be conducted. Vendors normally have booths set up selling reloading supplies. I have been a few times over the years to the event as a spectator primarily to purchase supplies.

Trainer Hale Shooting Supplies from Marion, Texas normally has a booth along vendor row. I have found the prices to be very good. Trainer Hale frequently has a representative from MEC at the booth if you are interested in a MEC shot shell press.

I don't know how available supplies will be this year. I suggest that once the supply chain catches up to the unprecedented demand seen recently that you invest in your future reloading supply needs. Powder, shot, wads, hulls, and primers all have a many year shelf life if stored in a climate controlled area in your home.

Enjoy your reloading experience.

Luck favors the prepared mind.
Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8191487 03/04/21 06:20 AM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Mike... maybe you can place a backorder for a MEC but expect to pay $350 + shipping. Probably still worth it if you plan to shoot a lot. You. may also want to go to a local trap/clays club and put up a notice that you want to buy a used set up for loading 410 or even rent time on one. A lot of us old guys out there with presses just collecting dust.

In the short term go ahead and do some manual handholds. Of course use eye protection and gloves. Don't hang over your work. Hand loading is what I did at first. Wooden block, nail or punch, fender washer, mallet, socket wrench, powder scale, knife and a wooden dowel make up the tool set. Ton of videos out there. Basically drill out the block with slightly oversized hole to use when you punch out the spent primer with the nail.

start by trimming the crimped portion off a spent shell.

punch out the old primer.

seat a new primer and set the primer/shell on a smooth flat metal surface (flat metal plate or a large fender washer). insert a socket wrench that just fills the shell diameter and such that it does not contact the primer. At this point I gently tap tap tap to seat the primer (wear gloves & eye protection). Some use a c-clamp or vise to slowly press the primer in and seat it. (sissies-lol j/k)

feel the base to make sure the primer is flush to the base of the shell.

weigh out powder and add to shell. (you can probably get lee powder scoops but even so weigh the powder the scoop delivers)

add shot cup; press the cup down with a wooden dowel- remember there is a live primer under that powder!! Safety gear! The powder needs to be compressed but don't go nuts. Watch some videos.

weigh and add shot. the shot should fill the shot cup and set just below the rim of the shell by 1/16-1/8 inch (or about 1.5-2 times thickness of overshot card). You can make or buy the over shot cards.

run a bead of glue and let dry.

I would trim the crimp off 25 shells. Then prime them all. Then add powder & shot cups to them all. At this point they will keep if you want to take a break. I would finish by adding shot and a card to all 25 shells then glue all 25 shells. Like an assembly line. I used a spade bit to drill holes in a board to serve as a holding or loading block.

If you only want A box of shells it is pretty reasonable. But if you go through 3+ boxes at a time you will gladly spend money for a MEC.

It sounds like more work than it is. If you hunt it is an easy way to try custom loads like duplex (2 shot sizes) or brush wads (spreader wads) and so on.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8191581 03/04/21 01:05 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
410 ammo

In stock and $1/round

Thanks for the lead!!

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: TLoving] #8191587 03/04/21 01:09 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by TLoving
In San Antonio April 6-11 at the National Shooting Complex the Southwest Regional Grand Trapshoot is scheduled to be conducted. Vendors normally have booths set up selling reloading supplies. I have been a few times over the years to the event as a spectator primarily to purchase supplies.

Trainer Hale Shooting Supplies from Marion, Texas normally has a booth along vendor row. I have found the prices to be very good. Trainer Hale frequently has a representative from MEC at the booth if you are interested in a MEC shot shell press.

I don't know how available supplies will be this year. I suggest that once the supply chain catches up to the unprecedented demand seen recently that you invest in your future reloading supply needs. Powder, shot, wads, hulls, and primers all have a many year shelf life if stored in a climate controlled area in your home.

Enjoy your reloading experience.

Thanks, TLoving! I have been to that trap shoot as a spectator; didn't even think or it as a good place buy ammo and/or components! I'll be visiting it this year.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: fishfree] #8191591 03/04/21 01:14 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Mike... maybe you can place a backorder for a MEC but expect to pay $350 + shipping. Probably still worth it if you plan to shoot a lot. You. may also want to go to a local trap/clays club and put up a notice that you want to buy a used set up for loading 410 or even rent time on one. A lot of us old guys out there with presses just collecting dust.

In the short term go ahead and do some manual handholds. Of course use eye protection and gloves. Don't hang over your work. Hand loading is what I did at first. Wooden block, nail or punch, fender washer, mallet, socket wrench, powder scale, knife and a wooden dowel make up the tool set. Ton of videos out there. Basically drill out the block with slightly oversized hole to use when you punch out the spent primer with the nail.

start by trimming the crimped portion off a spent shell.

punch out the old primer.

seat a new primer and set the primer/shell on a smooth flat metal surface (flat metal plate or a large fender washer). insert a socket wrench that just fills the shell diameter and such that it does not contact the primer. At this point I gently tap tap tap to seat the primer (wear gloves & eye protection). Some use a c-clamp or vise to slowly press the primer in and seat it. (sissies-lol j/k)

feel the base to make sure the primer is flush to the base of the shell.

weigh out powder and add to shell. (you can probably get lee powder scoops but even so weigh the powder the scoop delivers)

add shot cup; press the cup down with a wooden dowel- remember there is a live primer under that powder!! Safety gear! The powder needs to be compressed but don't go nuts. Watch some videos.

weigh and add shot. the shot should fill the shot cup and set just below the rim of the shell by 1/16-1/8 inch (or about 1.5-2 times thickness of overshot card). You can make or buy the over shot cards.

run a bead of glue and let dry.

I would trim the crimp off 25 shells. Then prime them all. Then add powder & shot cups to them all. At this point they will keep if you want to take a break. I would finish by adding shot and a card to all 25 shells then glue all 25 shells. Like an assembly line. I used a spade bit to drill holes in a board to serve as a holding or loading block.

If you only want A box of shells it is pretty reasonable. But if you go through 3+ boxes at a time you will gladly spend money for a MEC.

It sounds like more work than it is. If you hunt it is an easy way to try custom loads like duplex (2 shot sizes) or brush wads (spreader wads) and so on.

Thank you, fishfree! I'm not a heavy user of 410 ammo; mostly for varmint/vermin control plus having a bit of self defense loadings on hand for my Taurus Judge. Given my low consumption rate, it probably makes more sense for me to start out playing "small ball" and if having affordable 410 bore ammo leads me to shooting more, I'll graduate to a press.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8191907 03/04/21 04:46 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Take a look at the lee classic loader for 45 long colt $38 at midway. You can load pistol rounds for the Judge and use some of the components to prime 410 shells.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8192260 03/04/21 10:22 PM
D
Dub32 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Shopped all over the place (DFW) about 3 months ago for 410 and found nothing. Luckily I bumped into a good supply at Gibson's in Weatherford.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8192301 03/04/21 11:01 PM
G
Gemlin Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
G
I'd recommend Mec Jr's for reloading .410, don't use a Lee Load All.

410's are always expensive, and I always reload them. You can reload them fairly cheap in comparison to buying new shells. Hulls generally last 5-10 reloadings before they burn the sides out or they don't crimp well (They won't have a pretty crimp after 5 or so reloads).

But currently, good luck finding 209 primers or H110 Powder (H110 Powder works REALLY WELL) for 410.

I'm not sure if you can find a Mec 600 jr right now either in 410.

Last edited by Gemlin; 03/04/21 11:04 PM.
Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: fishfree] #8192473 03/05/21 01:48 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Take a look at the lee classic loader for 45 long colt $38 at midway. You can load pistol rounds for the Judge and use some of the components to prime 410 shells.

Thank you, sir!

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: Gemlin] #8192481 03/05/21 01:52 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Thank you, sir!
Originally Posted by Gemlin

410's are always expensive, and I always reload them. You can reload them fairly cheap in comparison to buying new shells. Hulls generally last 5-10 reloadings before they burn the sides out or they don't crimp well (They won't have a pretty crimp after 5 or so reloads).

But currently, good luck finding 209 primers or H110 Powder (H110 Powder works REALLY WELL) for 410.

Yep! It's not a good time to try to start up a 410 reloading station! No presses, no primers, no powder. It's slim pickin's, to say the least, but I'll get 'er going when I can get the components I need. And a bit THANK YOU to all of you who have provided me with tips, techniques and sources!!

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8192484 03/05/21 01:53 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Thank you, sir!
Originally Posted by Gemlin

Yep! It's not a good time to try to start up a 410 reloading station! No presses, no primers, no powder. It's slim pickin's, to say the least, but I'll get 'er going when I can get the components I need. And a big THANK YOU to all of you who have provided me with tips, techniques and sources!!

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8198483 03/10/21 05:48 PM
3600 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
check your messages.

Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: mikei] #8199986 03/12/21 02:00 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You can try this. https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.co...reloading-410-shotshells-without-a-press

I did it similar. Difference was
I used a block of wood drilled to the size of the base, 9/16 so that the shell sits in the hole, and another hole for the used prime to fall into.

To seat the new primer I used a dowel the exact size of the inside of shell with a hole drilled in the center. To set the primer, I set the primer on a hardwood block, set shell over it, with dowel in the inside push down on the shell the primer will seat with a little pressure.

I used a roll crimper with a top cover wad or a homemade wooden 6 point crimper that another guy carved for me.

My press and set up was similar to this, except homemaade and crude
https://www.ebay.com/itm/shotshell-reloading-set-12-gauge/274516298938?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111314%26meid%3D4d504cc607414adeb0f88baf38af9b19%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D123845489741%26itm%3D274516298938%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv9PairwiseUnbiasedWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

[Linked Image]

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: 410 bore ammo [Re: 3600] #8208014 03/19/21 06:02 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by 3600
check your messages.

I did check them, and thank you!