Forums46
Topics537,952
Posts9,730,997
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: redchevy] #8190671 03/03/21 04:18 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by redchevy
Ive had arguments with my wife about this very topic to many times to count...

Red, please tell me, on your arguments with wife, you have been on MY side...... Dont want to destroy my image of you.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: Bee'z] #8190680 03/03/21 04:24 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by freerange
Agree with yall so far but not answering the question. Play like the wednesday in question is the same but the statement was not made on Tues but it was made on Monday or Friday? To me, at least the way most of us speak, that you cannot use the word next in that context but you must be more specific.

It's Monday.
My neighbor says he needs me to help him do such and such, THIS wednesday. meaning day after tomorrow.
Or
My neighbor says he needs me to help him do such and such, NEXT wednesday, means 9 days away.
nidea

That is how I am wired too. It is simple and it works.

2Beez, it is NOT simple, and it does NOT work. Several on here interpret it different, which is my point. No one agrees, so it is confusing without different wording. "Next" by itself is not enough in some cases.
tcm3s example, what if its friday and talking about next wed.
Its Friday
My neighbor says he needs me to help him do such and such, NEXT wednesday...... Some on here would say its NEXT WEEK so its 5 days but yall are saying its 12 days.
My continual point has been that neither answer is correct. It needs to be said different to be clear to everyone.
And Im about ready to give up.
Where is Creekrunner when I need him, or even 603 maybe, HUD?

Last edited by freerange; 03/03/21 04:26 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8190683 03/03/21 04:26 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
LOL my image isn't great I better save it...

To me when you say next Wednesday you mean the one after the current weeks Wednesday. So if its Tuesday and you say next Wednesday, I assume you mean Wednesday 8 days from now.

After almost 10 years of marriage I have learned to clarify and not leave doubt or else its wife

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: redchevy] #8190691 03/03/21 04:36 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by redchevy
LOL my image isn't great I better save it...

To me when you say next Wednesday you mean the one after the current weeks Wednesday. So if its Tuesday and you say next Wednesday, I assume you mean Wednesday 8 days from now.

After almost 10 years of marriage I have learned to clarify and not leave doubt or else its wife

And if its Friday??????
If the mafia sends a hit man to kill a guy in a RED CHEVY, is that clear enough? No, he will have to ask him if its an Impala or a Z71?
People that know you may not need more info. Since its a hunting forum it may be safe to assume its a truck. But it is not enough information for the masses to know. Just like NEXT is not enough info by itself in every situation for every one.
Red, I like that you clarify cause that is my only point with all this.

Last edited by freerange; 03/03/21 04:37 PM.

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8190766 03/03/21 05:46 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Depends. Was the person saying "next" Wednesday drinking at the time of the conversation? Was the person receiving the information drinking at the time? Both drinking at the time? How much was consumed?

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8190914 03/03/21 08:00 PM
S
Somebeach Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Im not sure if it should be called a grammar question or a sentence structure question or a communication question or what.....
When some one says something is going to happen, for instance, on "NEXT Wednesday" and it is Tuesday, are we supposed to assume they are referring to the next day or 8 days later? If the answer seems simple then I ask the same question, but its a Thursday or any other day when the comment is made.
IS IT JUST ME, or do these type statements need to be worded differently to be clear on the intent. I could care less if someone says clip or magazine if I know what they mean, but when the intent is confusing then why cant people realize that and clarify in the first place? Im not saying this drives me wacko, just asking for a friend......

The part highlighted in red is my grammar question. Is it " I could care less" or " I couldn't care less".

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: Somebeach] #8190922 03/03/21 08:03 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Somebeach
Im not sure if it should be called a grammar question or a sentence structure question or a communication question or what.....
When some one says something is going to happen, for instance, on "NEXT Wednesday" and it is Tuesday, are we supposed to assume they are referring to the next day or 8 days later? If the answer seems simple then I ask the same question, but its a Thursday or any other day when the comment is made.
IS IT JUST ME, or do these type statements need to be worded differently to be clear on the intent. I could care less if someone says clip or magazine if I know what they mean, but when the intent is confusing then why cant people realize that and clarify in the first place? Im not saying this drives me wacko, just asking for a friend......

The part highlighted in red is my grammar question. Is it " I could care less" or " I couldn't care less".

Ironic

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8190968 03/03/21 08:41 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Next Wednesday means one week from today (today being Wednesday)
Wednesday after next means the 17th - also termed as Wednesday week, meaning a week from Wednesday.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: Somebeach] #8190970 03/03/21 08:42 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I couldn't care less, meaning it's impossible for me to care less than I already do.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8190977 03/03/21 08:47 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Uncle, I am completely unsure of what is "officially" the correct way to use the word "next". But I will guarantee you that in your example of it NOT MATTERING WHAT DAY ITS SAID ON will completely make a difference in reality to a huge percentage of people.
In your example of it being said on friday, please anyone answer me this..... If someone texts you and says they need you to take off work from a very important job to take them to the airport "next wednesday", or you telling me you would be completely confident which wednesday they meant that you would ask off work and then show up without first clarifying which wednesday?? ZERO people would do that!!! It just needs to be said in a different way, if it is in the least bit important.

Well, I said it, so it is official. up

Seriously though, many people see it differently, and therefore it probably should be clarified.

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: Somebeach] #8190978 03/03/21 08:49 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

2cents
It would be the next Wensday.. & couldn't would be greater than could...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8190979 03/03/21 08:50 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by TCM3
Agree with yall so far but not answering the question. Play like the wednesday in question is the same but the statement was not made on Tues but it was made on Monday or Friday? To me, at least the way most of us speak, that you cannot use the word next in that context but you must be more specific.

It's Monday.
My neighbor says he needs me to help him do such and such, THIS wednesday. meaning day after tomorrow.
Or
My neighbor says he needs me to help him do such and such, NEXT wednesday, means 9 days away.
nidea

That is how I am wired too. It is simple and it works.

2Beez, it is NOT simple, and it does NOT work. Several on here interpret it different, which is my point. No one agrees, so it is confusing without different wording. "Next" by itself is not enough in some cases.
tcm3s example, what if its friday and talking about next wed.
Its Friday
My neighbor says he needs me to help him do such and such, NEXT wednesday...... Some on here would say its NEXT WEEK so its 5 days but yall are saying its 12 days.
My continual point has been that neither answer is correct. It needs to be said different to be clear to everyone.
And Im about ready to give up.
Where is Creekrunner when I need him, or even 603 maybe, HUD?

It is simple, and it does work. The issue is that some people can't seem to grasp the simplicity of it, so it needs clarification many times.

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: skinnerback] #8191074 03/03/21 10:42 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by skinnerback
To me, there is "this Wednesday/tomorrow". Then there is "next Wed/the 10'th" when the face diaper mandate is finally lifted.

up

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8191167 03/03/21 11:52 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
“Wednesday week” or “a week from Wednesday” is how I would word it.

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: unclebubba] #8191230 03/04/21 12:43 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by unclebubba

If it is said on Monday, next Wednesday is not this upcoming Wed, but the following. If it is said on Friday, it is not this upcoming Wed, but the following. Next Wednesday means the same thing no matter what day it is said on.

So if someone tells you to get on the next bus do you let the first one that arrives go by and get on the second one?

I always make it clear when telling people a day. I either say “this Wednesday” or “not this Wednesday but Wednesday next week”.

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: freerange] #8191261 03/04/21 01:10 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think everyone is now confused.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Grammar question.. "NEXT Wednesday." [Re: pdr55] #8191499 03/04/21 10:08 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by pdr55
I personally say Wednesday week.
Have heard it said that way all my life.

Nailed it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide