Page 1 of 2 1 2
TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey #8189486 03/02/21 07:27 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Who received a TPWD drawn hunts system satisfaction survey? It did have some questions about the "cubing" of points. I know that there are positives and negatives about the system this past season. What did you think about the cubed points?

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8189491 03/02/21 07:31 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I wonder whatever happened to that one attorney who was typing his manifesto about how the cubing of points is illegal or whatever, I can't remember all his reasons.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8189549 03/02/21 08:09 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Cubing is certainly a a good and bad thing. If you have a bunch of points in a category it’s a good thing. If you have low points and/or just drew a hunt it’s a bad thing. I really wish they left it alone.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8189552 03/02/21 08:11 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I wonder whatever happened to that one attorney who was typing his manifesto about how the cubing of points is illegal or whatever, I can't remember all his reasons.

He publicly denounced his membership and changed his screen name to “Delete this account”
Yes I think there was something wrong with him.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8189574 03/02/21 08:21 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I am the same. I wish that they would have just left it alone.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Erny] #8189583 03/02/21 08:30 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Erny

He publicly denounced his membership and changed his screen name to “Delete this account”
Yes I think there was something wrong with him.

Ahh I didn't catch that.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8189602 03/02/21 08:46 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I got one of the surveys this morning, and appreciated the fact they send them out, so I immediately filled it out. Here's my comments for what its worth, as I am one of those "evil non-residents"!

1. I like the fact they offer quite a few hunts, and over all, my satisfaction is fairly high. I have met some new friends thru them, and lots of great TPWD employees at the WMA's
2. I'd like like to see some more opportunity for youth, and wish they would schedule a little better so they could go on a weekend, instead of during the week
3. I believe they should do away, or at least relax the antler restriction on youth only hunts. When there is zero harvest on that hunt for kids, it sucks!!
4 Go back to only applying for only one hunt per category, and people with dedication to one particular area would see some increased success in drawing again.
5 Talking with the Director of the Public Hunt Program, NR's still only make up about 3% of the applicants, so I didn't believe they needed a NR cap on permits yet
5 I don't believe we NR's should have to buy a license, but I did suggest/ask them to increase application fees by 3X (to $10), and double the permit costs ($160/#260) for NR's. This would bring it in line with other Western states

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8190204 03/03/21 03:59 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I have to buy a non-refundable license in every state I apply in. it’s absolutely crazy texas doesn’t require it. Since we also do NOT have a NR TAG ALLOCATION LIMIT, we damn sure should make them have at least a small game license to apply.

Also input no more than two choices per species categories. 2 exotics, 2 mule deer, 2 WT, etc will slow point creep

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8190217 03/03/21 04:08 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
[quote=BOBO the Clown]I have to buy a non-refundable license in every state I apply in. it’s absolutely crazy texas doesn’t require it. Since we also do NOT have a NR TAG ALLOCATION LIMIT, we damn sure should make them have at least a small game license to apply.

Also input no more than two choices per species categories. 2 exotics, 2 mule deer, 2 WT, etc will slow point creep

[/quote

I agree. Everyone should have to have a license to apply. It would be revenue positive for TPWD.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8190243 03/03/21 04:36 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
No argument from me here fellas. I’ll gladly buy a license for a reasonable cost, but including a bunch of tags I can’t use anywhere goes against the grain! Make it a small game or 5-day one to apply, and I’m all over it. At least the other states have open public land and OTC tags you can actually use.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Blank] #8190248 03/03/21 04:46 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Blank
No argument from me here fellas. I’ll gladly buy a license for a reasonable cost, but including a bunch of tags I can’t use anywhere goes against the grain! Make it a small game or 5-day one to apply, and I’m all over it. At least the other states have open public land and OTC tags you can actually use.

So does Texas, lots of public if you look. With that said most states required hunting licenses is a small game. tag is separate. technically it's same here but a cheap permit/use fee.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8190391 03/03/21 12:49 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Completed mine last night.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8190517 03/03/21 02:36 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Interesting only 3% NR are applying. Some folks on another Texas hunting forum are all up in arms over the Wyoming fee increases proposed and reduction in some tags to 10%.
I would agree with have to buy some type of license to apply or higher app fee for NR.

BoBo no license required in Wyoming to apply for tags.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8190541 03/03/21 02:52 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Just completed the survey. Had the following comments:

All applicants (Except youth hunts and youths) should have a current hunting license at the time of the application.

Limit the number of times you can apply in a hunt category

Expand the properties involved in the draw system. They could certainly do this with the private lands hunts.

Stop cubing points and go back to the old system or just square. Cubing makes the odds so slim for low point holders that there is no reason to apply.

Make a point only choice for each category.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8190627 03/03/21 03:43 PM
T
tailchaser93 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
How did y’all receive your survey?

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: tailchaser93] #8190636 03/03/21 03:49 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by tailchaser93

TPWD sent an email yesterday.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8190789 03/03/21 05:59 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by tailchaser93

TPWD sent an email yesterday.

Same here.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8192967 03/05/21 02:29 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I just mentioned that I didn't like the cubing system. I don't have a lot of points because I put in for dang near everything. I just like to hunt and visit new places. I just pointed out who is more loyal. The guy putting in for the same 15 hunts over 15 years or me who puts in for $300 worth of hunts every year for the last 5. I didn't care when you got a loyalty point a year. A guy with 15 loyalty points doesn't have a much better chance at getting picked than a guy with 5 points.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8197005 03/09/21 02:54 AM
H
Hunter307 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I took it. No complaints from me....besides why are dogs not allowed during the big bend ranch sp quail hunt? Kinda odd.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8197095 03/09/21 05:44 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I told them I understand why they want to reward the guys with 20 points trying to draw the Chap, but I have used it for the last several years as a way to see new areas and fill the freezer. I usually spend $300+ on applications and have come to expect to draw 2-5 hunts. Usually nothing too exciting, but a lot of doe/management hunts in places I would otherwise not visit. As a result, I never build many points. If they keep with the cubing points, I will quit applying and plan two out of state trips every year instead of one. I think if they want to reward the guys who have been applying for the trophy hunts for decades, they should split them off in a separate category and cube the points for those hunts, and leave the "less desirable" hunts the way they were.

I absolutely understand the desire to reward the folks who have kept it up for many years. However, it comes at the cost of guys like me who will quit applying if we don't draw but one hunt every few years.

When you have more demand for hunts than you have supply, you need to find a way to ration them. Texas has so little public land that I do not support increasing fees, as that burden would be paid by the folks who already don't have options. Effort is another way to limit requests, but TPWD removed that obstacle when everything went online. I guess time is the only element that they have left to control. I think it is unfortunate as it will decrease revenue in applications and will severely discourage new hunters from applying. I used to tell new Texas hunters to spend the $300 and they would get to hunt that fall. Now, I think I would tell them to look at other states if they don't want to pay for a lease.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: SherpaPhil] #8197465 03/09/21 05:34 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
I told them I understand why they want to reward the guys with 20 points trying to draw the Chap, but I have used it for the last several years as a way to see new areas and fill the freezer. I usually spend $300+ on applications and have come to expect to draw 2-5 hunts. Usually nothing too exciting, but a lot of doe/management hunts in places I would otherwise not visit. As a result, I never build many points. If they keep with the cubing points, I will quit applying and plan two out of state trips every year instead of one. I think if they want to reward the guys who have been applying for the trophy hunts for decades, they should split them off in a separate category and cube the points for those hunts, and leave the "less desirable" hunts the way they were.

I absolutely understand the desire to reward the folks who have kept it up for many years. However, it comes at the cost of guys like me who will quit applying if we don't draw but one hunt every few years.

When you have more demand for hunts than you have supply, you need to find a way to ration them. Texas has so little public land that I do not support increasing fees, as that burden would be paid by the folks who already don't have options. Effort is another way to limit requests, but TPWD removed that obstacle when everything went online. I guess time is the only element that they have left to control. I think it is unfortunate as it will decrease revenue in applications and will severely discourage new hunters from applying. I used to tell new Texas hunters to spend the $300 and they would get to hunt that fall. Now, I think I would tell them to look at other states if they don't want to pay for a lease.

But why do they want to reward them anyway? What has someone that has applied 20 years to the same place really offered anyway? A couple hundred bucks over 2 decades?

People were complaining about putting in for 20 years and being upset they didn't get drawn for a single hunt. Last year the chap had almost 5,000 applicants and 26 permits. You don't even have a great chance with the cubed points at those odds if 200 other people have 15-20 points. People were just whining because they didn't get what they wanted. This system was made so people that can't get a lease in a state with little public land could have the opportunity to hunt. These people deserve the same chance at the good hunts as the management hunts. True trophy hunts are already broken out into a separate category with the Big Time Texas Hunts.

As it stands now, I can keep applying to the chap for general deer and nothing else if I ever want to actually hunt there. I would hate for a hunt at Gus Engeling SP to take my points and ruin my chances of drawing chap. I suspect all of the hunters applying to a small handful of places and building points for years already had another place to hunt. If my suspicion is correct, and the draw hunts where intended to give people without access places to hunt, then cubing points kind of broke the system in favor of people that already have land access. The can hold a monopoly on the more sought after hunts. A guy that just wants to go hunting has to settle for the lesser lower success rate hunts.

I'm not complaining just because it screwed me. I like to travel and camp. I also like the challenge of some of these places and being able to get deep into the woods. That's why I love these draw hunts. I live 20 minutes south of Sam Houston and 1 hour southwest of my family owned 1200 acre ranch. I have places to hunt and if I never win another draw hunt I'll still be fine. But we need more hunter access in Texas and I think cubing the points hurts the problem more than helps it.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8198469 03/10/21 05:32 PM
W
WestTN_TX Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I don't necessarily disagree with anything noted above. I completed the survey as well and appreciate TPWD sending it out.

I'm also someone who applies for 20 to 30 or so hunts a year (I actually drew Elephant Mountain Archery MD my first time ever applying a couple of years ago), so cubing points does not help me out; however, I never really look at drawing any of these hunts as something that's going to happen anyways so my level of disappointment with the change last year was minimal. I do know that with cubing, at some point in the future (if I still live in TX and am applying), I will probably draw - it just may be in 2035.

As previously stated, access is a big problem in Texas whether it be through the lack of public land or the simple fact of how expensive leases are. I would like to see TPWD expand private land draws and public access, but there are probably forces working against that.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8198615 03/10/21 08:35 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
It's all about that $$$ both private and public. It seems half of the guys on this forum are property owners that lease their land and want that $$$. Can't blame em, it's their right but they some greedy bass turds.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: Hunter Daddy] #8210443 03/22/21 11:54 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I filled mine out as well and have a little different opinion than most on here. The only recommendation I had was to go back to the old system of only allowing you to apply in one hunt per category. Since it is a revenue thing, I would be okay with them raising their price of the entry to make up for lost revenue.

Re: TPWD Drawn Hunts Survey [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8323328 07/17/21 12:29 AM
T
TheHeadTurkey Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
On a scale of 1-50 from the state with the greatest amount of public land to least amount of public land, Texas is number 45 on that scale......... Texas does not have a lot of public land. From what I've read from a lot of different forums; most public lands in Texas are very high pressured.

Last edited by TheHeadTurkey; 07/17/21 12:34 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide