Page 1 of 2 1 2
early season elk boot/hikers #8189068 03/02/21 01:56 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I've got to get another pair for the coming season. I've always used low cut hikers "boots"....but really they are almost shoes and I use orthotics. I'm looking at getting something more of a boot and I want top quality. My research is leading me to ...

* Kennetrek
* Hanwag
* Crispi
* Lowa
* Soloman ... for a lower budget yet good boot.

I want a mid height boot....I cannot stand high boots. More ankle support as I'm 53 this season and will be packing out meat if successful. All leather verses synthetic or a blend?

Anyone have experince with brands mentioned or any brand that falls into top quality?

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189077 03/02/21 02:02 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Don't over look Danner Pronghorn very nice boot.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189088 03/02/21 02:05 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I would add to that list Zamberlan and Salewa. But that isa good list to work with.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: angus1956] #8189136 03/02/21 02:40 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by angus1956
Don't over look Danner Pronghorn very nice boot.

I ruled them out over 10 years ago....didn't like the way they felt on me plus while they are decently made they are not in the same category as the one's I mentioned.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189142 03/02/21 02:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Good list, it's really an individual fit preference.

Hanwag and Zamberlan have lasts that fit me well, but I've ran

Kennetrek
Zamberlan
Salwela
Lowa
Schnee’s/gornell
Hanwag

I prefer all leather because I feel they mold to your feet better and are easier to keep waterproof/resistant. I run both waterproof and nonwaterproof. I prefer the leather lined no waterproof/nonmembrane 10-1, breathes better and you can make them pretty water resistant

You could also add mendil and scarpa to your list.

Right now I wouldn't buy any boots from oversees retailers like exxposed. Covid shipping is causing a big bottle neck

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189148 03/02/21 02:52 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Depending on how stiff a boot you are wanting.

Stiff - Zamberlain Vioz GTX
Hiker - Oboz Bridger B-Dry
Meindls - any stiffness

I currently run the Oboz and some Meindl lightweight hunters. Will be getting a set of the Meindl Comfort Fit Hunters this summer.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189150 03/02/21 02:54 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I hear good things about crispi

I would personally get another pair of Kennetreks myself. But they are stiff and need break-in time

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189162 03/02/21 03:09 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I wrecked my ankle badly many years ago, and need good support in a boot, but like you, I hate high boots. I like an all leather boot that gives great support, is resistant to all the cactus we have where we hunt, and will last a long time to make the investment worth hit.
My son is a HotShot wildland firefighter out here in the West, and they spend 18 hours a day in their boots, all year long. Half his crew have switched to this one now. He got me to try a pair of the Lowa Baffin Pro boots this past year, and I will admit to them being the best I have ever worn. Tough and great support, all leather inners, and super comfortable. I did have them on for this years elk too!

[Linked Image]

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189257 03/02/21 04:02 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I bought a pair of Lowa Camino GTX boots 2 seasons ago and they are the best hiking boot I've ever owned. Easy to break in, comfortable with good ankle support, pretty cool lacing system, and most importantly, Gore-Tex that actually provides waterproofing. I also like the Kennetrek Hardscrabbles, but I couldn't find one that came in a wide size. Friends have Crispi Nevadas that they like, as well.

I personally do not like Danner's at all. I had a pair of those prior to the Lowa's and they LEAKED like crazy from day 1. So infuriating even though they were supposed to be Gore-Tex.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189317 03/02/21 04:48 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
I wear Asolo GTX almost every day for work in a metal shop, then to hike, backpack, and hunt in. A pair lasts me about 3-4 years, they are not cheap but are great boots for me. Not too soft but not too stiff after break in, great support as well, I have pansy ankles.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189399 03/02/21 06:09 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I was going to suggest Oboz as well. I've tried some mentioned above and they are just too stiff. I need more comfort.

I've been extremely happy with the Oboz. They're out of Bozeman, MT and are extremely comfortable. Mine are insulated and work very well.

[Linked Image]
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189432 03/02/21 06:47 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
No personal experience, but I have a couple of buddies that swear by their Crispis. I haven't quite bitten that bullet yet, but they seem like a solid boot.

I currently have the Irish Setter Ravine with the BOA system and the Danner Pronghorn 400gram. The pronghorns are just alright for what little I've hiked in them. The Irish Setter Ravines have been pretty solid and stiff for a "cheaper" boot. My ankles need the extra support and have felt the Ravines have held them pretty solid. I'm not super impressed with the BOA system, but it is nice to easily put them on/off. I tend to have to tighten the boa system after a short bit of hiking since theres only one tightening location at the boa knob. Other than having to tighten them at most, twice, no real complaints. I have custom orthotics i wear on a daily basis that fit well in these boots as well.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: Gumbeaux] #8189507 03/02/21 07:47 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
I was going to suggest Oboz as well. I've tried some mentioned above and they are just too stiff. I need more comfort.

I've been extremely happy with the Oboz. They're out of Bozeman, MT and are extremely comfortable. Mine are insulated and work very well.

Where did you purchase the Oboz? Do you wear a wide version? I’m going to Greune Outfitters tomorrow to try on a pair.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189531 03/02/21 07:58 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I wear a 14 EE in most boots. That size in the Oboz fit me really well. I wear those boots for early season hunts and pretty much anytime I need something more than running shoes.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: 68rustbucket] #8189540 03/02/21 08:03 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

Where did you purchase the Oboz? Do you wear a wide version? I’m going to Greune Outfitters tomorrow to try on a pair.

Bought mine from REI. I wear a 13D and the run very true to size.

[Linked Image]
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189708 03/02/21 10:11 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I like my Meindls haven't been doing it long enough to go through them. So nothing on any other brands.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8189720 03/02/21 10:23 PM
20bore Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I have the Salomon Quest 3D GTX or whatever they're called. I'd give them about a 7 out of 10.
They have an ortholite foot bed, and are comfortable in that regard, but they hurt the tops of my feet.
I don't know if it's the lacing system or just too much material around the tongue but they feel tight across my foot.
Plenty of room in the toe box though. But I only paid $99 for them when the 4D came out.

My next uninsulated boot will likely be the Lowa Renegade GTX.

Camofire usually has Crispi boots on discount.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8191627 03/04/21 01:52 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of getting a pair of......Hanwag, Crispi, Schnees and lowa and let them all know I'll be returning the 3 I don't like the best. I saw a Utube video where a guy has like 3K of boots he bought and returning all of them except his chosen pair. I'm not going to that extreme but like the idea.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: angus1956] #8191661 03/04/21 02:22 PM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Pronghorns are comfortable but suck when it comes to mountains. I've had numerous spills while wearing Pronghorns from Canada to Mexico. The final straw was retrieving a Coues in Mexico. I kept falling (steep SOB) and nearly tumbled all the way down while my friends had Kenetreks and had no issues getting to the Coues to help with retrieval. As soon as I got home I picked up Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (also now have the Hard Scrabble now).

A true quality pair of boots is less expensive that an ER co-pay.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8191997 03/04/21 06:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BDB
Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of getting a pair of......Hanwag, Crispi, Schnees and lowa and let them all know I'll be returning the 3 I don't like the best. I saw a Utube video where a guy has like 3K of boots he bought and returning all of them except his chosen pair. I'm not going to that extreme but like the idea.

What size and foot width are you? I’m 12 and Wide so I can give insight on ones that have wider lasts like Zamberlan and Hanwag in reference to how stiff you do or don’t want.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8192691 03/05/21 06:09 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 and a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX. They are both tall boots which I understand you don't want. Regardless, though I think the Kenetreks would have been fine I kept the Crispis. Both are all leather which, like Bobo, is my preference. The stiff soles are great as is the overall stiffness and ankle support. Mine are still new with about 80 miles. They'll reach about 100 miles on my next hunt in a few weeks. In remote areas with that kind of distance you don't want to cheap out on footwear.

Get good socks. I always wear the same. Feet - socks - boots. It's a complete system. Your feet and boots each adapt to the other. Don't throw off the relationship by messing with the middle man.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8194171 03/06/21 01:28 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by BDB

What size and foot width are you? I’m 12 and Wide so I can give insight on ones that have wider lasts like Zamberlan and Hanwag in reference to how stiff you do or don’t want.

I'm a 12 also but I broke my pinky toe on the side of my foot in high school and took my cast off to early so I could have fun with my friends....it gets sore if any pressure gets to it. If wading in waist deep water duck hunting the water pressure on my boots will start the pain feeling after a while. So I need wider boots.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8194208 03/06/21 02:36 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
While a good well built boot is certainly a plus, comfort is the number one thing and for a boot to be comfortable it has to be broken in. I'm not saying wear them for a few days and call it good, I'm saying wear them every day for a few months. I can't think of a hunt I've been on where walking was the primary way of movement that at least one person in camp wasn't battling his boots. Feeling good in the store isn't the same as feeling good after 10+ miles of running the mountains for a couple of days. I've seen bad boots end a hunt. Don't really care what brand a person wears just make sure you get them broken in completely before heading to the hills.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8194289 03/06/21 04:06 PM
E
ErikL Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
i like my kennetreks. worn them allover. if they had come in goretex i would have gotten that, but i purchased the leather treatment stuff they sold with it put that on, and really haven't had any problems with getting wet.

Re: early season elk boot/hikers [Re: BDB] #8194316 03/06/21 04:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by BDB

I'm a 12 also but I broke my pinky toe on the side of my foot in high school and took my cast off to early so I could have fun with my friends....it gets sore if any pressure gets to it. If wading in waist deep water duck hunting the water pressure on my boots will start the pain feeling after a while. So I need wider boots.

Best place to start. The “last” is the width and fit design.

https://www.hanwag.com/eu/en-gb/our-story/the-hanwag-fit

This boot(ancash) I just ordered but is caught up in over seas shipping. It's the extra wide straight fit. I can't give a review yet but as soon as I get them ill let you know. I been wearing Yukon Wide(resoled 3x and time to replace) and chillkat. The zaberlan 1013 Leapard gtx WL is another generous wide boot, but not it's not as stiff as the Yukon or Ancash, but probably still stiff enough for anything but Side-hilling in shale.

https://www.hanwag.com/eu/en-gb/collection/trekking/ancash-ii-gtx

On wide in kennetrek and Schnees/gronell’s the heel seems to widen with width and I had bad hill slip, where as hanwag its same hill pocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide