Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8187646 03/01/21 12:45 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I didn't wear a helmet and my kids don't either....

However there is a reason why helmets are so pushed.

87% of fatally injured bicyclists last year were not wearing helmets.

A helmet does not keep a kid from scraping knees or even breaking arms. So it's not like they are riding around in bubble wrap.

Head injuries are no joke.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 03/01/21 12:46 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8187748 03/01/21 02:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I do and so do my kids

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8187761 03/01/21 02:19 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
There's a ton of folks that ride motorcycles without helmets so you know they aren't going to be for bicycle helmets.

Growing up I never wore a bicycle helmet and probably got lucky because I had some spectacular crashes. I once crashed so hard that I snapped a bicycle into 2 pieces.

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: Dustnsand] #8187770 03/01/21 02:25 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by z71dustin
There's a ton of folks that ride motorcycles without helmets so you know they aren't going to be for bicycle helmets.

Growing up I never wore a bicycle helmet and probably got lucky because I had some spectacular crashes. I once crashed so hard that I snapped a bicycle into 2 pieces.

Miracles still happen.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8187785 03/01/21 02:38 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Never wore one as a kid, but I did have one friend get a pretty serious concussion one time while we were doing stupid "stunts". He started having convulsions so we called an ambulance. They got him on the gurney in back and when he came too completely, they sent him home - on his bicycle. Times have changed.

Also never wore one on my street motorcycles until about 15 years ago. Watched a friend's foot slip on pavement at a traffic light and he fell over, couldn't catch himself and bounced his head on the pavement knocking him smooth out. He was fully stopped when he slipped and I realized from then on, helmets were a necessity.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: Dalroo] #8187823 03/01/21 02:58 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Life insurance on kids is cheap and sometime you want to just get rid of them.........give them fast toys and no helmets. Retire young and rested.

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8188012 03/01/21 05:19 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Go REAL mountain biking on hard off camber trails with rocks, roots, gnarly trails and then fall off a bike reaching speeds of over 30 and then tell me you shouldnt wear a helmet.

Wear a helmet every time.

I don't understand people that wont wear them on motorcycles either. I personally witnessed and assisted a motorcycle accident where I am certain his helmet saved his life. He was severely concussed even with the helmet, without his head would have had a gaping wound.

I also have a close friend who didn't wear a helmet and had severe amnesia and TBI from a motorcycle accident that would have no doubt been minimized with a helmet.

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8188023 03/01/21 05:29 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I wear a helmet and encourage all others to ever since an acquaintance crashed, striking her head on the curb, and suffering long term brain damage.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8188045 03/01/21 05:46 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
rode a gazillion miles on a bicycle when I was younger, never wore a helmet but got beat up pretty good with all the Evil Knievel stunts I tried to pull. When I first started riding a motorcycle, circa 1965ish, my dad's main rule was to always wear a helmet, this was actually mom's rule to dad when he bought us one. I kinda thought it was silly but that was the rule ... after I got faster and more daring, the helmet saved my life on a number of occasions while riding and racing dirt bikes, MX, harescrambles, enduro, etc. with some really hard higher speed crashes. Several rides to the ER with a couple via ambulance. Although helmets weren't required when I first started riding on a street bike, it was one of my core values instilled in my head since they had saved my life too many times. Once my kids started riding bicycles and motorcycles, that was the rule that they also have done for years. Just very simple and cheap insurance to put on a helmet.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: PMK] #8188184 03/01/21 07:55 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by PMK
rode a gazillion miles on a bicycle when I was younger, never wore a helmet but got beat up pretty good with all the Evil Knievel stunts I tried to pull. When I first started riding a motorcycle, circa 1965ish, my dad's main rule was to always wear a helmet, this was actually mom's rule to dad when he bought us one. I kinda thought it was silly but that was the rule ... after I got faster and more daring, the helmet saved my life on a number of occasions while riding and racing dirt bikes, MX, harescrambles, enduro, etc. with some really hard higher speed crashes. Several rides to the ER with a couple via ambulance. Although helmets weren't required when I first started riding on a street bike, it was one of my core values instilled in my head since they had saved my life too many times. Once my kids started riding bicycles and motorcycles, that was the rule that they also have done for years. Just very simple and cheap insurance to put on a helmet.

Yep. Here's one of my old helmets from 10yrs ago.

[Linked Image]

That picture also sums up why a full face helmet is a big deal and not a half helmet on a motorcycle.

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8188201 03/01/21 08:16 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Never did, had more than my share of crashes and injuries. Taught me alot of what not to do by getting hurt. My sons learned the same way. Sounds odd, but too much protection can hurt them in a different way.
Pain has its unique way of teaching us lessons.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8188891 03/02/21 06:35 AM
D
drag13honda Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
I pretty much lived on a bicycle from the age of 5 to probably 25. The only time my parent made me wear a helmet was when I learned to ride without training wheels, but as soon as I got the hang of being on two wheels I never wore one again until after the local mountian bike trails started requiring them. Even then my cousin and I rode on them without helmets for another couple of years until they closed down the trails all together. Once they opened those trails back up years later and required helmets, I went out and bought a helmet and wear it most of the time on the trails. There have been a handful of times I forget my helmet sitting on the toolbox in the bed of my truck until after I am already on the trail. If I'm already on the trail before I remember it, I don't turn around to go back and get it. Other than the MTB trails, I don't wear one.

I still have one of my ramps up it the attic from when I was a kid, the bigger ones from when I was getting older finally had the be thrown out because they started falling apart.

Whether it was/is right or wrong, I survived up until now and I'm too set in my ways to change now. Luckily that ever happened was some bumps, bruises, scrapes and cuts. Some weren't bad, others were worse. One of my friends from two doors down busted out parts of his two front teeth and had to go have those repaired. To be fair he busted them out again rough housing in the house a while later and had to go have them fixed again

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: GUTIT] #8189110 03/02/21 02:18 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by GUTIT
Never did, had more than my share of crashes and injuries. Taught me alot of what not to do by getting hurt. My sons learned the same way. Sounds odd, but too much protection can hurt them in a different way.

No one is saying wear a body bubble, a Traumatic Brain Injury isn't pain that will teach you a lesson, it is something that will make you forget all of the lessons you learned, you know, like walking and talking.

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: Ktexas14] #8189118 03/02/21 02:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
Originally Posted by GUTIT

No one is saying wear a body bubble, a Traumatic Brain Injury isn't pain that will teach you a lesson, it is something that will make you forget all of the lessons you learned, you know, like walking and talking.

Nailed it. I had concussion from a fall on the ice during the big freeze and survived.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8189129 03/02/21 02:32 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Taking a fall at 10MPH and crashing at 35MPH is a BIG difference.

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8189237 03/02/21 03:54 PM
603Country Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
All this desire for self protection isn’t a bad thing, but in all those years of my friends and I riding bicycles, nobody ever got damaged. Hurt, yes, like skinned knees and elbows, but no head injuries. None at all.

On a motorcycle, yes, I’d wear a helmet.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8189258 03/02/21 04:02 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by 603Country
All this desire for self protection isn’t a bad thing, but in all those years of my friends and I riding bicycles, nobody ever got damaged. Hurt, yes, like skinned knees and elbows, but no head injuries. None at all.

On a motorcycle, yes, I’d wear a helmet.

Same here. All of those years riding bikes, jumping ramps and crashing, trying to freestyle/crashing, no one ever got a head injury.

Motorcycles, yes on the helmet. The day after we buried my brother one of our closest friends popped a wheelie on his crotch rocket in front of the house with no helmet on. He went back too far and smacked the back of his head on the street. He died right there.

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8189356 03/02/21 05:21 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Nobody had one when I was a kid. A buddy of mine had the idea of marketing helmets and biking apparel thirty years ago. I thought he was nuts.
Turns out, he was not.

I started wearing one when I hit 50 but I don't ride anymore. And I wouldn't ride on public rode, ever.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8189416 03/02/21 06:27 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I wear this helmet when I go fishing in cold weather. It is a 15 mile run to my favorite catfish hole. When it 25 degrees, it don't take long for the face to freeze up.

[Linked Image]

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Bicycle helmets [Re: 603Country] #8189512 03/02/21 07:51 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I can only remember 2 bicycle accidents when I was a kid that resulted in major injuries. Neither would have been saved by a helmet, both were T boned going through an intersection.

On the other hand 60 years ago, the traffic on residential streets was almost nil and none during the day. Even downtown business district did not have the traffic we have today. People were also not tied to a cell phone or in the hurry that they are today. Most families had one vehicle, now they have 2 if not 3 or more. Only half the kids I knew had cars in high school, now almost every high school student has a car.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide