Page 1 of 2 1 2
Summer job in the patch #8183505 02/25/21 01:51 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I worked every summer as a hand in the oil patch around Humble. The wildcatter I worked for was a friend of my dad's. I never did understand why he wouldn't let me learn to throw chain and kept me busy doing all the grunt work instead. Seeing the video reminds me of what a wise man he was, and what a good family friend he was! Plus, I've been able to go through life with all 10 fingers. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2BU4eyVHQ&feature=emb_logo

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183508 02/25/21 01:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Dirty Job, tough work

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183520 02/25/21 02:01 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Stuff like that is why i laugh at the TV show Tough as Nails... they got nurses and bagage handlers on there lol bunch a carp.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183580 02/25/21 02:52 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Only patch where I worked was the cotton patch.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183581 02/25/21 02:53 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I did some summer work on Roustabout and pulling unit crews when I was in high school, now there's a minimum age requirement.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: bill oxner] #8183588 02/25/21 02:55 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by bill oxner

“Somebody told us Wall Street fell, be we was so poor that we couldn’t tell, Cotton was short and the weeds were tall, but Mr. Roosevelt was gonna save us all “

Quoted excerpt from the Autobiography “ I came, I saw, I scuba dived; The life and times of Big Bill Oxner”

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: txtrophy85] #8183589 02/25/21 02:58 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

“Somebody told us Wall Street fell, be we was so poor that we couldn’t tell, Cotton was short and the weeds were tall, but Mr. Roosevelt was gonna save us all “

Quoted excerpt from the Autobiography “ I came, I saw, I scuba dived; The life and times of Big Bill Oxner”

LOL

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: unclebubba] #8183592 02/25/21 03:02 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by unclebubba

LOL

roflmao

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183593 02/25/21 03:03 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Que the pictures from the 70's...3.....2.....1.....

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183721 02/25/21 05:03 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I’ve been told that chains are no longer legal to use. I don’t know if that’s true. I do know some still use them.

Roughnecks are a crazy bunch, but I do admire their skills and work ethic.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: Sneaky] #8183815 02/25/21 06:22 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I’ve been told that chains are no longer legal to use. I don’t know if that’s true. I do know some still use them.

Roughnecks are a crazy bunch, but I do admire their skills and work ethic.

Yep Roughnecks are a crazy bunch. I got my little brother on as a Roughneck working for Nabors Drilling when he was fresh out of the Army. He was 225 lbs of solid muscle then and loved the hard labor/tripping pipe. He moved up the ladder pretty quick and was doing pretty good for himself and his young family, was working on a site up near Casper Wyoming when I had the unfortunate duty to call him and inform him that his beautiful wife was cheating on him back home. He came home/got divorced/& got custody of his Son. That was the end of his Roughnecking Career.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: skinnerback] #8183824 02/25/21 06:32 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Yep Roughnecks are a crazy bunch. I got my little brother on as a Roughneck working for Nabors Drilling when he was fresh out of the Army. He was 225 lbs of solid muscle then and loved the hard labor/tripping pipe. He moved up the ladder pretty quick and was doing pretty good for himself and his young family, was working on a site up near Casper Wyoming when I had the unfortunate duty to call him and inform him that his beautiful wife was cheating on him back home. He came home/got divorced/& got custody of his Son. That was the end of his Roughnecking Career.

Thats a all too common scenario.

Its a young man's job with no wife or kids.

A lot of guys get on, start making good money, with their improved income comes lifestyle creep, then comes a point where they can't get out because they can't replace the income with another job. I had alot of friends in the oil field and it was hard on all their families.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 02/25/21 06:32 PM.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: txtrophy85] #8183885 02/25/21 07:48 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Thats a all too common scenario.

Its a young man's job with no wife or kids.

A lot of guys get on, start making good money, with their improved income comes lifestyle creep, then comes a point where they can't get out because they can't replace the income with another job. I had alot of friends in the oil field and it was hard on all their families.

There is some truth to your words there. Hell, before it happened to my little brother the exact same thing happened to me, and it was him that called me on the road LOL. I was running a project on a Jack-Up rig in Brownsville. Young man with lots of responsibility and worked a chit ton of OT with few days off. Just trying to work as much as I could and save money so I could buy a house for my wife and 2 young kids, and a nice car for my wife. Then one day at work my little brother calls to inform me that my wife was cheating on me back home while I'm out there busting azz every day staying faithful.

I've never been a Roughneck, but have worked in other sectors of the Industry for a long time now. You go from making minimum wage in HS, to $250k + a year, and it's awfully hard to get out and take a job making a lot less money. It get's in your blood, and you grow accustomed to having a little money put away. You want a new gun, you buy it etc. Lifestyle creep happens to a lot of folks in the patch. Me personally, I would rather save money than spend it...but looking back now, hell I should have spent it ALL on whatever the hell I wanted because the Ex took it all anyway. roflmao

Being gone working in the patch is hard on a lot of families. You're either fussing/fighting with your wife because you are gone all of the time chasing that dollar, or you are fussing/fighting with your wife because you took a job back home @ 40 hrs/week for less pay and now you don't have money to do anything or go anywhere. This has been my personal experience. Good Lord, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I suppose none of this would matter if you were lucky enough to marry a good/faithful & loving woman that would never do you wrong no matter what. Especially if everything you are doing is for her. My little brother and I just laugh at each other now, and we have both just learned to accept the fact that when it comes to women, we just have really chitty luck. roflmao

It's not just the patch. Hell, look at all of the folks in our military who are away from each other a lot longer than us. I've seen marriages fall apart there too. I used to play music all the time. After playing another gig one night at a local dive here (when the base was still open), this VERY good looking lady (smoking hot) took interest in me. Long story short, she wanted to do a little mattress dancing. I had just been divorced so of course said HELL yeh, let's roll....then I discovered that her HUSBAND was in the Navy and was gone for a few months on an assignment somewhere. Ah hell naw, as tempting as she was there's no way I would do that to that man. As pretty as she was, she was damn ugly to me at that point. Sorry azz cheatin' POS, and I told her just that as I walked out the door. Cheaters gonna cheat. bang

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183892 02/25/21 08:06 PM
J
jhunter77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I chased the patch for 10 or 11 years and I've been all over the place from border towns in south Texas to the border of Canada. I was on my way back to work in west Texas the day after Christmas 2014 and decided to turn around come back home. I called the company I was working for and told them I'd unload my tools and take their truck back to the office in Fort Worth. I took a $65,000 a year pay cut for about 3 years even had to file bankruptcy but DANG IT I'm home with my wife and kids again. I missed a lot of birthdays and holidays. I miss it sometimes it's a lifestyle very few get to experience but there's a lot of great people out there working.

And yes spinning chains have been banned I haven't seen one since around 2007 and that was in New Mexico.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183908 02/25/21 08:39 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Been good to me for 31 years; I make more than most with master degrees, just wish sometimes I would have started my own business years ago

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8183997 02/25/21 10:19 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Old school chains and tongs floors are still used a lot, you just won’t see them working for a major or large company. I was on one last week near Throckmorton, and I know 8-10 more that use them all the time.

As for oilfield life, it can be hard on the family, I have been lucky to hang on to a good woman for the last 23 years that can deal with the schedule.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: LonestarCobra] #8184041 02/25/21 11:10 PM
J
jrfan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Old school chains and tongs floors are still used a lot, you just won’t see them working for a major or large company. I was on one last week near Throckmorton, and I know 8-10 more that use them all the time.

As for oilfield life, it can be hard on the family, I have been lucky to hang on to a good woman for the last 23 years that can deal with the schedule.

Was it E&H? My wife’s grandad worked for Ray Herring for decades.

[Linked Image]
Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: LonestarCobra] #8184097 02/26/21 12:00 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Awesome Sir. up Good stuff.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: Sneaky] #8184145 02/26/21 12:44 AM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Air Pipe Spinners.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8184154 02/26/21 12:53 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I have worked in the oil field for the past thirteen years with a service company. Been on hundreds of rigs large and small and still haven’t been on one still throwing chains....

My wife likes the paychecks and I figure me being gone most of the time.... clap

I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8184224 02/26/21 01:45 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I have worked in the oil field for the past thirteen years with a service company. Been on hundreds of rigs large and small and still haven’t been on one still throwing chains....

My wife likes the paychecks and I figure me being gone most of the time.... clap

The two of you, are two of the best. Yall take care of each other, the way it's supposed to be.

One of these days I'm gonna find me a Russian mail order bride that I can afford, it's gonna be on THEN!! clap banana happy ever after.

grin

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8184259 02/26/21 02:16 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
I have been working in the oilfield since 1994. Worked in 13 states in the US and in Mexico. Now I am rarely gone more than a couple of weeks at a time. I have in the past been gone for for 60 days straight. It is tough on the family but we make it work. Been married twenty years with two sons. The traveling gets old but it has made me a multimillionaire and I hope to retire soon before I turn 50.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: jrfan] #8184548 02/26/21 01:43 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by jrfan

No, they are all stacked right now, but I have cemented on every one of them numerous times, and they all used chains, cat lines, and all earth pits. When they wanted to be real cheap, I have seen them rope casing in. It is a 100% different breed of roughneck on those rigs, the prima donna hands out in the Permian wouldn’t make it a single hitch on those rigs. I have some land across the road from the late Ray Herrings ranch, rig one is stacked out behind the house out there.

Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: mikei] #8184602 02/26/21 02:45 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I threw chain near Roswell, New Mexico in the middle of nowhere. Even had a bad storm come through one night when we were setting up the rig and lightning stuck the derrick and zapped all of us. The guy next to me got hit so hard he fell down and was flopping on the ground and I was trying to help him but didn't know what to do. The next morning I walked off the site and never returned.

Last edited by rolyat.nosaj; 02/26/21 02:45 PM.
Re: Summer job in the patch [Re: LonestarCobra] #8184748 02/26/21 04:52 PM
J
jrfan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jrfan

No, they are all stacked right now, but I have cemented on every one of them numerous times, and they all used chains, cat lines, and all earth pits. When they wanted to be real cheap, I have seen them rope casing in. It is a 100% different breed of roughneck on those rigs, the prima donna hands out in the Permian wouldn’t make it a single hitch on those rigs. I have some land across the road from the late Ray Herrings ranch, rig one is stacked out behind the house out there.

My wife's grandad pushed tools for Ray well into his 70's when he died. I had an invite to hunt The Herring Ranch and never took him up on it. I wished I would have.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide