Print Thread
Antelope plus/minus mule deer? #8182054 02/24/21 03:57 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Brother is interested in antelope, and if he comes down that means i would he interested too.

Looking at the P&W info, it looks like permits are “free” but are granted by a landowner, which i would assume comes with a cost. Is this the way it really is, basically pay a “tresspass” fee to take a pronghorn antelope off someones land after they get a permit?

I also saw the experimental permit is available, but that was strange in that it was just two counties and seemed like you go door knocking to get land owner permission prior to hunting....is the landowner list the same as the above list of landowners with a permit?

The season is short...are there tons of folks that are competing for a small number of permits?

If anyone has worked with or knows of a good guide for antelope, we wouldn’t be opposed to that if cost was reasonable as well.

As a side note, my brother also mentioned interest in mule deer. Is there someone who would do a good antelope and mule combo hunt? Cross listed in general hunting forum for the above questions.

Re: Antelope plus/minus mule deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8182296 02/24/21 02:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Wildlife Systems does Mule Deer and Pronghorn hunts in West Texas but the season dates do not overlap. Desert Safaris does Mule Deer hunts in West Texas but only does or has done Pronghorn hunts in New Mexico. Guided Pronghorn hunts are priced from what from I have seen will range from $3500 up to $4500+ depending on the the location and how many hunters per guide (1x1 or 2x1). Mule Deer are going to be way north of that price in Texas....more like $7000+ for a guided Mule Deer hunt in Texas on the bigger better managed ranches. Those hunts will be on well managed ranches with limited amounts of bucks taken each year.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Antelope plus/minus mule deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8182650 02/24/21 06:41 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Brother is interested in antelope, and if he comes down that means i would he interested too.

Looking at the P&W info, it looks like permits are “free” but are granted by a landowner, which i would assume comes with a cost. Is this the way it really is, basically pay a “tresspass” fee to take a pronghorn antelope off someones land after they get a permit?

I also saw the experimental permit is available, but that was strange in that it was just two counties and seemed like you go door knocking to get land owner permission prior to hunting....is the landowner list the same as the above list of landowners with a permit?

The season is short...are there tons of folks that are competing for a small number of permits?

If anyone has worked with or knows of a good guide for antelope, we wouldn’t be opposed to that if cost was reasonable as well.

As a side note, my brother also mentioned interest in mule deer. Is there someone who would do a good antelope and mule combo hunt? Cross listed in general hunting forum for the above questions.

Only OTC concurrent mule deer/ Pronghorn season I know of is Oklahoma Archery. Both are OTC tags, but that's a tall order to fill. I've eaten few tags.

Other option would be land owner tags in CO. Pretty sure they have a concurrent Sept primative seasons. Not 100% though

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Antelope plus/minus mule deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8182658 02/24/21 06:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
You could do an LO antelope AND OTC bear combo AND or Mule deer draw in NM.

I know a guide that does both

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Antelope plus/minus mule deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8182684 02/24/21 07:14 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Dang, brother has mentioned an interest in bear too, might need to save that idea. Cost is a factor, can't be terribly expensive.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 02/24/21 07:14 PM.
Re: Antelope plus/minus mule deer? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8182738 02/24/21 08:01 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Dang, brother has mentioned an interest in bear too, might need to save that idea. Cost is a factor, can't be terribly expensive.

I Personally would do just one animal species a trip and another animal species next year, instead of two species. You could do pronghorn/bear combo for probably 7k a person, but that's 4 animals in 10days which is tough so set expectations accordingly

With that said most good guides can make a pronghorn hunts in two or less days. And average guide like the clown may loose his client in the tall sage and miss spotting a goat at 15 yards roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide