Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7946178 08/22/20 08:04 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
You have a natural food supply, in our area we don't have that.

You do as well, just maybe not as much.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7946680 08/23/20 03:06 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by TxHunter87
A buddy and I got to talking about ways to deal with pigs at his lease.

Shooting them all year doesn’t seem to do anything anymore.

He kind of jokingly said he was going to make a big bait pile and put a tannerite jug there too and when a big group shows up, pop the tannerite.

The more we talked about it the more I wondered if that would work. If pigs are smart as they say can you traumatize them enough to where they will steer clear of an area?

Besides legality, which I cant find a definite answer that it is not legal, it almost seems like this could work, just wondering if anyone has tried this or if you do know the legality of it.

Im not talking about adding any type of shrapnel just tannerite

I'm in for pics. Seriously, you probably shouldn't do that. But I hear you.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: Hudbone] #7946957 08/23/20 02:58 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone
It'll shake a blind a mile away. A friend told me.

When you start piling Tannerite up it can make some incredible explosions. A lot of people underestimate it because it's not TNT and end up paying a hefty price for it.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: dogcatcher] #7947189 08/23/20 07:11 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by jrgocards
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
All of our neighbors have hog problems, they also feed year around. We cut the feeders off at the end of the season and start them late September or mid October. Cut off their food supply and you will reduce the hog population..

Not sure i fully agree with this. I don't feed, but have a crazy number of hogs. Our woods are so thick that you cannot get into where they hide during the day. IMO, our hogs are there because they feel safe during the day. Even without feeding, they are VERY fat. They consider pretty much anything to be food, so they don't need a feeder for them to be in an area.

I play a cat & mouse game with them often in the evening when they come out of the woods. It doesn't seem to have any impact on them that I kill a few as they come out of the woods.

JR

You have a natural food supply, in our area we don't have that.

Just how much corn are you throwing to provide the predominant food source for hogs?

JR

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182233 02/24/21 01:10 PM
T
Texican Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
So...... popcorn

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182306 02/24/21 02:13 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
We saw a tremendous reduction in the number of hogs we see by penning our deer feeders. A few years ago I shot a hog 3-4 hunts in a row with a few being doubles, was nothing to get pictures with 20-30 hog groups on the cameras. We pinned the feeders and slowly they have just disappeared. This season we have seen feral hogs 2 times.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: stxranchman] #8182309 02/24/21 02:16 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Put up large round feed pens that keep all the corn inside. That is what I try to do on my place and the neighbor does not....guess who constantly complained to me last year about the number of hogs under his feeders last season? They may still show up at my road corn or bowblinds but is almost always after dark but not during the times I am hunting. Even then the deer still get 100% of the corn inside the pens. But I have worked on killing and trapping hogs year round for the last 9 yrs now so they are not the major issue here that others have to deal with around me.

Penning feeders is the only way to "mostly" keep them away from your property and change their travel patterns that I've found..

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182333 02/24/21 02:27 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182442 02/24/21 03:56 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Remotely controlled catch pens like those the professionals use is the only way to create any noticeable impact on pig numbers in a given area. Anything less and you're doing nothing more than harassing them.

A rancher that I know in East Texas once left the gate open to a pasture after he had put hog wire fence to keep the pigs out, not expecting them to go through the gate until he had gotten around to closing it. After noticing a pack of them had found their way inside, his brother and a few buddies decided to remove them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/24/21 04:09 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182471 02/24/21 04:16 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Definitely will video tape

I saw that Lone Star Law as well and was the reason why i looked up if it was legal.

i understand seeing it as cruel and maybe its just me but if you have ever trapped a whole bunch of sows and piglets, it gets really messed up killing them in that trap.

I get you about the deer not caring but intelligence wise aren't pigs, wild and farm, supposed to be one of the smartest animals out there? thats the reason why i was thinking it would work for the pigs more then other animals out there

Animal cruelty laws can be so subjective from one person, place, or time and the current political and social weather is at it's worst ever for such things. It could involve felonies, can ruin lives both legally and via social media, or can bankrupt you paying for a defense even if not guilty. If charged and sentenced you risk losing several rights like gun ownership and unable to work in some careers. Risk to benefit, I would not do it and I sure would not film it if I did.

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: hook_n_line] #8182473 02/24/21 04:17 PM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
I know people don't like hogs but that's a little on the cruel side. I saw Lone Star Law and some guys got in trouble for pulling a boar's teeth out. Of course they used a hammer.

I saw that one - instead of putting the ham in hammer they put the hammer in the ham...

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: Sniper John] #8182478 02/24/21 04:21 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I saw that Lone Star Law as well and was the reason why i looked up if it was legal.

i understand seeing it as cruel and maybe its just me but if you have ever trapped a whole bunch of sows and piglets, it gets really messed up killing them in that trap.

I get you about the deer not caring but intelligence wise aren't pigs, wild and farm, supposed to be one of the smartest animals out there? thats the reason why i was thinking it would work for the pigs more then other animals out there

Animal cruelty laws can be so subjective from one person, place, or time and the current political and social weather is at it's worst ever for such things. It could involve felonies, can ruin lives both legally and via social media, or can bankrupt you paying for a defense even if not guilty. If charged and sentenced you risk losing several rights like gun ownership and unable to work in some careers. Risk to benefit, I would not do it and I sure would not film it if I did.

^^^agree

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182484 02/24/21 04:32 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Around here the best way to temporarily run hogs off is to get after them hard with the dogs. Apparently they hate being ran by dogs, and even though the doggers may only get a couple of kills a night, after a few nights of it I've seen the hogs pack up and leave for a month or longer.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182500 02/24/21 04:46 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I also saw that Lone Star Law and the reason those guys got tickets was they were knocking teeth out and turning the pigs loose,not killing them.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: John2] #8182549 02/24/21 05:15 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by John2
I also saw that Lone Star Law and the reason those guys got tickets was they were knocking teeth out and turning the pigs loose,not killing them.

yeah, they knocked the cutters out to train their dogs.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: Sniper John] #8182576 02/24/21 05:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sniper John

He's right you know.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182647 02/24/21 06:41 PM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
The tannerite isn't a legal method of take for non game animals. It would be nice to see, but I certainly would not video tape anything lie that.

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8182662 02/24/21 06:49 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Never shot a mess of them in the trap. We try to get a few bucks for them live. If there is 1 or 2 I'll pop them with a 22 short behind the ear. They don't get anymore excited than just walking up to the trap.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8183369 02/25/21 05:22 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Around here the best way to temporarily run hogs off is to get after them hard with the dogs. Apparently they hate being ran by dogs, and even though the doggers may only get a couple of kills a night, after a few nights of it I've seen the hogs pack up and leave for a month or longer.

^^^^^^

This has been my experience as well. As much as I hate hog dogs and 'most' hog-doggers. On occasion....we have some come in and run the hogs a few weekends in a row. Hogs HATE dogs and even though the hog-doggers catch few (if any) it DOES run them off of the property for up to a month at a time. But it can't be a 'one time' deal. You need to 'harass' the hogs with consecutive outings.

We only do this when other methods are not working well enough. And only at certain times of the year (starting right now until mid summer).

I trap, shoot and snare hogs all year 'round on my property and on my In-Laws. Been doing it for a bit over 30 yrs. now. When our neighbors also make efforts....we can keep the hogs sort of at bay. But its a full time exercise, otherwise you'll just end up 'swapping hogs' with your neighbors.

My least favorite method is using dogs. Dogs ARE effective at running hogs OFF for a period of time, but as a tool to reduce numbers they are a miserable failure (if not under high fence). Running hogs with dogs is largely 'sport' and in my opinion usually does more harm than good if you have more than one or two problem hogs. For the most part....it just spreads them out and educates every hog that isn't caught (which will be most of them).

Trapping and snaring are by far the most productive methods for me. I don't recommend snaring unless you really know what you are doing and live on the property OR pick up the snares upon leaving (never leaving them more than 24 hrs unchecked). Large pen traps are your best bet.

I shoot a good number of hogs each year from dedicated hog stands that have automatic feeders and lights set up on photocells. But....its just supplemental to other methods of killing them. Unfortunately, my property's topography is such that it forms a natural funnel. It is more wooded than surrounding lands and has a spring fed branch running through it. So even if I did nothing to lure hogs onto certain areas of it....I would always have a transient population traveling through.

If I had my way....there would be NO hogs in the State of Texas. Of course, my sentiment is one of a Land Owner whose property has been savaged by hogs over and over again. Other's enjoy having hogs around.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8184022 02/25/21 10:42 PM
G
Gw123 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

I agree, having someone run them hard with dogs is the best way to keep them gone for a while.

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8184028 02/25/21 10:55 PM
B
bagster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I wonder if any smells repel them? I know housecats hate the smell of citrus, dogs shy away from ammonia and vinegar, and deer are supposedly repelled by lion dung.

?
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8184030 02/25/21 10:56 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve had a friend Tannerite them on several occasions smile and the same dumb pigs that survived the 10 pounds we’re back 2 days later so he says that method only works to take out a dozen or so at a time. I hear its pretty funny to watch though, he said their was a small piglet hanging about 10 feet up in a tree limb, at least part of it was according to him. roflmao The feeder was in pretty rough shape afterwards according to his reports, the timer had to be replaced wink

The legalities of it I’m not sure of so my friend never sent me the videos bolt

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8184059 02/25/21 11:31 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Catch pens work great, sometimes when you feed them long enough and get a large numbers coming in with additives to the feed that can help thin the numbers down greatly, interpret this as you will

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: brokenpole] #8184433 02/26/21 05:55 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by brokenpole
Catch pens work great, sometimes when you feed them long enough and get a large numbers coming in with additives to the feed that can help thin the numbers down greatly, interpret this as you will

Interpreted. Thanks. up

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #8185505 02/27/21 06:43 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Answer to post. No.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide