Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,488
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8181305 02/23/21 04:32 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
oh yeah, and for years that I have owned the trailer, it has been pretty simple to turn the pump off and merely open up all the faucets (sink, bathroom sink, bathtub, water heater and lastly flush the toilet) to release all water pressure in the trailer ... never had an issue.

edit, take that back, lost the kitchen faucet 2 years ago because it wasn't left open but that was a fairly easy replacement.

Last edited by PMK; 02/23/21 04:35 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8181362 02/23/21 05:44 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
A lesson I learned for others intel...

A couple of years ago the outside water hose on my camper froze on a morning it barely got to 32. No big deal as no immediate damage was done, but I did not realize the sink faucet had also split, and with no pressure it wasn't leaking. I went out to hunt, with no idea the tap was broken. Bad mistake - once the hose thawed, water started flowing, filling my gray water tank and then flooding the camper. It was a big mess.

Be sure everything is closed and no leaks when anything freezes on a TT.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8181811 02/24/21 01:04 AM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Fredericksburg and north got blasted with busted up live oaks and cedars and snapped utility poles on 87. I have some pretty busted up live oaks and broken fittings at the well. Hopefully nothing more than some busted pvc. I've been busy today with the chain saw getting broken limbs off my fence and cleaned up around the camp.

I also found this dead whitetail buck. Hard to say when he went down

[Linked Image]

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8183603 02/25/21 03:18 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Does everyone not cut everything off every time they leave their place? Seems risky as heck not to no matter what the weather is. confused2

I do. We had frozen lines but since they were PEX they defrosted with no problems. Rolling blackouts every hour or so. My Vogelzang wood burner kept us alive.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8184458 02/26/21 10:28 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I winterize when below freezing temps are expected. Just South of Bowie and I don’t live there.

Shut off power to the well. Drain pump, pressure tank, and lines. Start a small electric heater with thermostat controls. But, since freezes are often accompanied by electrical outages,I can’t count on this.

Then to trailer house. Blow water lines with small compressor after dumping water from toilet tank into bowl. Dip out most of bowl. Pour windshield washer anti freeze into kitchen and bathroom traps.

On occasion I have busted water lines under the house due to them dropping down/sagging and water collecting there.

No leaks after the recent big freeze but it was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 02/26/21 10:31 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8185936 02/27/21 09:06 PM
C
Cajunrotor Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Man I hate the thought of what I may find in my trailer when I'm finally able to get down to it. I'm not too concerned about the water lines, etc., as I routinely drain everything and blow it all out with an air compressor each time I leave. HOWEVER, I did go off and totally forgot to put all my bottled water, soft drinks, beer, etc. in the shower/tub so they wouldn't leak out all over when things thawed out. I may have a real mess.......

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Cajunrotor] #8188764 03/02/21 03:22 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cajunrotor
Man I hate the thought of what I may find in my trailer when I'm finally able to get down to it. I'm not too concerned about the water lines, etc., as I routinely drain everything and blow it all out with an air compressor each time I leave. HOWEVER, I did go off and totally forgot to put all my bottled water, soft drinks, beer, etc. in the shower/tub so they wouldn't leak out all over when things thawed out. I may have a real mess.......

Bottles or cans with no room for expansion could be a problem. I freeze gallon jugs of water and leave room for expansion and even through several thaw freeze cycles they rarely crack.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8191963 03/04/21 06:03 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Heading up to my place in Dickens next week. Advised by the fellow grazing cattle on my place that the well was spraying water all over from pipes and fittings, Also my pressure tank base split. Had heat tapes on that worked for 10 years however with periodic power shut downs they lost effectiveness.
Purchased new tank and other components that I hope will prevent a run to Lubbock once I get there.
We had 17 degrees in Corpus which froze pipes in my northwest wall with water running so I guess below zero temps were too much for my ranch system

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8192108 03/04/21 08:38 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
Made a quick trip to one of my leases Tuesday afternoon when I got off work. It is a mess out there. Our camp has a small portable building as a camphouse and I added on a covered area attached to it with a picnic table- that go abused and had some the structural lumber busted and the roof is sagging. Dozens of busted off pine tree limbs laying along or on the road going thru the lease and two big pine trees laying across the road- I will be out there Saturday morning with my tractor and chainsaw to see if I can't get them cleared out of the way.

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8192114 03/04/21 08:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Funny, only had burst pipes that were PVC. The galvanized pipe was all okay.

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8192137 03/04/21 09:07 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Our community camp water supply system came out fine. Not our first rodeo so we had taken some precautions. Lots of individual trailers for the guys so we will see on those. My can goods didnt bust but some 7up cans did. Rancher said one cow and one bull did the splits on a frozen pond and had to be put down. He has seen lots of dead small birds. Some one may of posted this but if you rely on an electric heater with digital thermostat then it will not restart after losing power briefly.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8192501 03/05/21 02:12 AM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Got up to our place in Telephone and was amazed to not have any issues. Cannot believe the outside pipe made it intact!!

JR

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: jrgocards] #8192513 03/05/21 02:19 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by jrgocards
Got up to our place in Telephone and was amazed to not have any issues. Cannot believe the outside pipe made it intact!!

JR

Pay the preacher.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8192520 03/05/21 02:27 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I stopped by a buddy’s ranch this week to check on it. All looked ok and I called him to see if he wanted me to turn on the water. I did and the water heater was busted. Pipes under the house were busted too. It’ll take a lot of beer to get the place fixed back up but I think we’re up to it. Pipes will be drained after each winter trip from now on.

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8193609 03/05/21 10:54 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Checked our camp and we didn’t have anything broken thankfully. Even the fittings on the above ground water tank/on demand pump managed to not bust. I semi winterized our trailer before this happened by draining the water heater and opening all the faucets to let water flow back down into the tank. Didn’t drain the tank or flush the lines but apparently that was good enough. Did put antifreeze in the traps. I consider ourselves lucky still.

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8194096 03/06/21 12:04 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Got the plumbing from the cistern to the pressure tank and then the manifold fixed only to figure out the pump on the pressure tank is gone gone.

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8195577 03/07/21 10:33 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Some stories are too good not to be told.
I provide a house on one of my places for my hunters. I do the majors, they take care of the minors. Common arrangement. Finished feeding one evening early enough to check their house for problems after the wreck. Quick walkthrough before I pressured up the water. DARN...toilet tank busted...40 pound block of ice! Double darn...I just replaced that thing last year. Someone forgot to flush it. Cut the water off to the toilet, closed all the other faucets, turned on the water and NO LEAKS. Good day after all but they get to replace the toilet this time. Shut water off, drained everything and went home. Fast forward a week and one of the guys showed up with a new toilet. Did the installation and everything was fine UNTILL...the kitchen faucet blew out. Water spraying up like Old Faithful. It was a scene right out of an I Love Lucy show. Our rural water supply company had several major watermain breaks and we had lots of air in our lines. To add to that, the kitchen sink was installed 75 years ago and BOOM. roflmao

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8195651 03/08/21 12:04 AM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
we winterize and blow the lines.. went this week and boom.. the water left in the check valve in the dishwasher cracked it...crazy..THEN....my water filter to my fridge had water in it and cracked it too..the little things we forget...our cabins sit up 18 inches off the ground to keep rodents and snakes from getting under there...we keep our heat set at 55....live and learn....

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8196170 03/08/21 02:44 PM
P
PropaneMan Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Checked my east TX lease yesterday and found that the weight of the snow collapsed all my pop up blind roofs. I was leaving them out to get in a few more hog hunts before it gets too hot. That was a costly mistake, several of them are not going to be salvageable.

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8209559 03/21/21 11:11 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Arrived weds to my cabin in Dickens and as expected from rancher input my pressure tank was broken at the base and scrap. Had purchased a new one on line and brought it up from Corpus. Had also bought some misc parts like 2 mew universal connections. Went together quite quickly Hit the switch and held my breathe and no other damage as the pressure hit the 60 lb level and stayed put. After 10 years of operation felt pretty good this was the only problem I've had with the well

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8218397 03/29/21 10:22 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Some of the fellas got down there. They went ahead and replaced the manifold entirely. Also had to install a new pump. The boys mad it look good -
[Linked Image]

Turned the water on to my trailer and saw a leak right at my feed. Got that fixed with a new elbow, some primer and some glue. Noticed a lil' issue farther down where the feed goes to the toilet. No 1/2 inch PVVC so got to head to Cotulla and found some at Ace. Two road construction stops along the way added thirty minutes or so to the jaunt. Picked up two sticks and an extra set of shark bites (just in case). Got that done and oops, a leak at the feed to the shower. Got that fixed and then oops, a leak on an interior wall that gets to the shower.

A leak on an inside wall? What? Why me? oh well. Gonna have to pull the cabinet that the microwave and coffee make sit on. That'll be for another day.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hudbone; 03/29/21 10:23 AM.
Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8218844 03/29/21 05:31 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maybe pull drawers, cut slide bracing out and work through that opening? Or move stove, cut hole through side of cabinets?

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8218854 03/29/21 05:39 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yep, exactly what i am thinking. two bolts on the counter holding it together. Gonna be fun

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8235412 04/14/21 12:11 AM
R
roadkill54 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Even though we turn our water off we got hammered. After several conversations with PEC and them telling me we were under a rolling blackout I got the read out on the main house. We went dark at 4:15 Sunday and didn't have/use any power until the following Monday (week) according to their records. I recorded temps at night of 2*, 9*, 13*,11* and we didn't see 20* daytime for 41/2 days. To say we froze might be an understatement. Anyway, four weeks later we have replaced 150ft or more of main inbound line, 90% or more of cold piping, 70% of our hot lines, all our valves, pea traps, h2o lines in the garage, commode lines, repaired 3 of our wells. A lot of this could have been mitigated if PEC WOULD have communicated their plan of action....... and our lines were insulated! So in the rebuild we put drains in this time along with thicker insulation. Its not been a fun month but were back!!!

Re: Anyone had the chance to check their deer camp? [Re: Texas Dan] #8235477 04/14/21 01:04 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
We were lucky or prepared. Probably a combo of both but I'll take it. Water manifold sits below grade from camp so opening the south end of that and opening all faucets to all a good back-drain saved our collective behinds. One camper had a toilet valve crack because he did not flush it after we killed water and allow the water to back-flow. We have a small water heater to outside sink I was most worried about but it clearly had enough water drain from the shutdown to not create issues.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide