Forums46
Topics537,797
Posts9,729,274
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8179896 02/22/21 10:38 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Some Buddy heater have oxygen sensor safeties and are rated for indoor use.

This was the explanation given to regarding open space heaters.

A by product of burning hydrocarbon fuel is water vapor. In most cases the stucture, tent, garage , etc, was loose enough to allow adequate ventalation. But, in freezing temps, the water vapor will become ice crystals, sealing any air leaks in or around windows and doors. Thus the flame would consume the usable oxygen in the space. This process usually requires some time.
How much time is relative to size of space, size of heater, occupancy and a host of unkowns.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180059 02/22/21 02:18 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We used the Buddy heaters in the house for a week or more. We did get a CO monitor, just in case.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180121 02/22/21 02:59 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
We did alright though it.

-Things i will think of for future are plug in lights i can run off generator.
-remembering i have a Coleman propane stove in the utility room with propane bottles lol i forgot about that
-New house will have one of the breaker boxes where i can run select items off a generator through the house circuits

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8180125 02/22/21 03:01 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Every THFer should always have at least this:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff smile

I wonder if our younger folks recognize that quote.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180126 02/22/21 03:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm stocking up in the fall. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8180128 02/22/21 03:02 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Every THFer should always have at least this:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

2 bottles bourbon
2 bottles tequila
2 bottles vodka

carry on

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: 603Country] #8180131 02/22/21 03:06 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by 603Country
We used the Buddy heaters in the house for a week or more. We did get a CO monitor, just in case.

Did the CO alarms ever go off? Did they measure the peak level? I've got a Big Buddy heater I got for the shop and had it readied for the house but chose not to due to perceived risk.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180133 02/22/21 03:15 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If you are going to be burning something inside the home, get a couple of CO detectors.

Carbon Monoxide will kill you dead or really mess you up quickly.

To be determined
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180136 02/22/21 03:19 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
We didn't have a space heater so there was no need to crank up the generator. Had plenty of firewood, bedroom got down to 55° but the living room was warm.

Would take 5 days below freezing without power over one day in August.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: Bullfrog] #8180140 02/22/21 03:24 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
This whole ordeal showed me exactly where 90% of the energy loss/transfer is at this house. I just bragged last week about how dang solid the house is structurally. It does lack in efficiency, something fierce. If I open just the shutters to look out the window, I can feel the cold temps move so fast, it’s like an air leak! But there aren’t any. They’re just crap windows with nice finishings.

I’ll be hitting up ol T-Rex soon.

Also, while not in use, this particular fireplace is one drafty SOB. If it’s windy, I can feel the air coming in. I’m with Ox190 on looking at a better set up. I know they have them. Just got to lay down the $ for it.

The gas inserts that use fans, those suckers put it out man! I wonder if there’s a wood burning option with the fans too.
Unless we get another apocalyptic storm in the next year, I’m good. But I got me some serious work to do.

https://www.lopistoves.com/product/medium-flush-wood-nexgen-fyre-rect/

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180152 02/22/21 03:30 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
In college, a house full of cheap broke guys, we didnt run the heater till it got below mid 50's in the house in general.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180153 02/22/21 03:30 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bigfitz, go to the Mr Buddy website. They’ll ease your fears on using one indoors. I was leery also, but when I looked up some info on that site, it explained everything I needed to understand. So I brought them in and fired em up. The CO monitor never spoke up, and I knew it was good because it had gone off the day before due to a generator exhaust getting into our little guest house. Run the heater off 20# cans, and it’ll run for over 100 hours on low.

I bought the heater for the screen porch, when we’d have guests and porch partying. The ladies like warmth, and the Big Buddy did the job. Otherwise I’d have not had one. So glad I did though.

Set on medium, with the battery powered fan on, it’ll put out some heat.

Being travel trailer people, we had a bunch of 20# propane cans. And I bought a few more.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180172 02/22/21 03:40 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
With natural gas in the home and a Honda generators we had lights, microwaves, heat, etc. We were pretty comfortable.

1) Things to upgrade will be a alternative indoor cooking option because cooking on the gas grill outside was a little chili.
2) More situational awareness of temperatures that will cause diesel fuel gelling.

Make America Great Again

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: J.P. Greeson] #8180201 02/22/21 04:07 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
If I build another house, it's getting a Vermont Defiant Wood Burning Stove.

[Linked Image]

What makes this one $3k+ while others half the price or less?

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180203 02/22/21 04:11 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
we were fortunate, never lost power or water, our neighbors, at least 3-4 houses to our left all were without power for 4 days
we had a gas fireplace with plenty of wood...

I definitely want to be better prepared as we got lucky
I have heard of a few hypothermia deaths including an 11 year old..
how bad would you feel if your kid died?
how would you get over that?

I have a propane turkey fryer and 3 20lb propane tanks
That is a great way to boil water, generate some heat (with some ventilation and battery powered CD alarms) start fire, cook on, etc..

I am looking into water as well

being without AC in the summer would SUCK but you aren't going to die from it...

I think the bulk of my neighbors in Austin have zero clue how to survive ..
We had plenty of food, two freezers, etc.. in cold we could have gone 2 weeks
In the summer, the freezer would probably hold for a few days, maybe

We don't live in the desert and if I needed to get water I could go to Lake Travis and fill up coolers in the back of the truck and get them home to boil.

But, I will be setting up to have at least 100 gallons of water available and getting a generator and of course you need fuel for it.

I don't want to be paranoid about it all but I don't want to see my family suffer when a little more planning, effort and expense can mitigate the risk at least for some time. Parts of the Austin are still without water.. and the people are crying for the national guard to bring them boiled water.. ridiculous reliance

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180217 02/22/21 04:27 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
We did OK because we planned ahead. We lost power and water for almost 5 days, so it was clearly inconvenient but very tolerable.

What I learned:
I underestimated the impact of the low temperatures. More firewood!

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: Tbar] #8180226 02/22/21 04:32 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Tbar
With natural gas in the home and a Honda generators we had lights, microwaves, heat, etc. We were pretty comfortable.

1) Things to upgrade will be a alternative indoor cooking option because cooking on the gas grill outside was a little chili.
2) More situational awareness of temperatures that will cause diesel fuel gelling.

electric hot plate / 2 burner
coleman propane stove on back porth

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: reeltexan] #8180235 02/22/21 04:43 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by reeltexan
Originally Posted by Tbar

electric hot plate / 2 burner
coleman propane stove on back porth

We used our two-burner propane stove in the kitchen under the bent hood. I see it as being the same as a gas stove.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180239 02/22/21 04:48 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was mostly whistleing in the dark this year.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180241 02/22/21 04:51 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
More flashlights

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180245 02/22/21 04:56 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
We ended up having everything we needed and managed to prevent frozen pipes/damage, but definitely had to juggle thru different stages of my 'OCD backup plans'!
Had to skip over (B - small generator) , (C - inverter), and (D - vent-less wall heater) and go straight to (F- stove burners) because I didn't have B & C ready to go and D still hasn't been purchased.
I did finally get B - generator setup & running after 10 hours of relying on only F.

I did have some major pieces already working as planned in my primary (non-emergency-backup stages) plans:
- 250g propane tank was mostly full because I run a dual-fuel (heat-pump/propane furnace) setup for central heat -
- keeps a large reserve of propane available for when heat-pump is ineffective ;
- didn't need a large generator because no heat-strips needed in this setup;
- furnace blower power-cable already setup as cord with plug, easily ready to plug into small generator or inverter cord.
- multiple new/recent CO detectors throughout house - just in case.

The generators' old fuel-line cracked in 0 deg temps as I dragged it from storage and prepped it once daylight hit - that was fun to replace outside.
Finally getting it running, furnace quickly brought house temp up from 48 degrees (stove burners) to a very comfortable 62 degrees we conservatively set it at.
Mad at myself cause I still cannot find the 750 watt inverter that I have packed away somewhere, which I could have quickly setup to run furnace fan while I jacked with generator.

Two honorable mentions go to:
1) Neoprene Fishing Gloves - these things were a miracle for my fingers, while I had to be outside jacking with the generator, and most notably watering livestock outside-warm even wet!
2) 80-Gal Heat-pump Water-Heater - this thing really surprised me; despite being mostly without power for 3 days - this thing kept enough water hot for several quick family showers; I never had it connected to generator, but it's quite a comfort to know that I could get hot water long-term on generator for about 400 watts (in heat-pump only mode) - and if things really bad, at least I have 80 gallons of drinkable water always ready at the go, so I only bothered to fill two 5-gal camp totes with drinkable water this time in preparation.

I'd rate myself a B+ for having everything on hand to get thru this cold storm, but only a D on having things set ready to go, as I had to work pretty hard, & lost some sleep, thru the crisis.

This event has me now thinking thru some additional scenarios & plans - I'm good for maybe a week of no-power crisis (hot or cold)- maybe two, but what about a month? 2 months?
We don't have nat-gas here so don't have that as an option.
For long-term, prolly going to at least get another (250g +) propane tank (we own), conversion kit for generator, vent-less Propane Wall Heater (plan D), eventually a 2nd very-small generator (inverter type).

Having propane saved our butts in this crisis, and I think having a way to efficiently convert it to heat (furnace, vent-less heater) could stretch it in case of a longer crisis/infrastructure damage.

Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180247 02/22/21 04:57 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I need more canned food on hand, and frozen vegetables have plenty of frozen protein.

I will be looking into generators in the coming months.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: BradyBuck] #8180249 02/22/21 05:00 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
If I build another house, it's getting a Vermont Defiant Wood Burning Stove.

[Linked Image]

What makes this one $3k+ while others half the price or less?

They get really good reviews. It's probably overpriced, but I like it. laugh

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180258 02/22/21 05:13 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I escaped to Florida a day before the winter storm hit and stayed gone the whole week. My dad stayed at my place taking care of the animals and everything. His house only had electric heat.

I have had a spare 350 gallon propane tank full and sitting behind my shed for 9 years. My tank for the house was filled two months ago and thought it would be fine, but the fire really sucked that gas down trying to keep the house warm. Ended up draining it. The gas companies here were out of propane. No problem, thats why Id prepped a back up tank. WELL, none of the tractors would start as the diesel fuel gelled so couldnt move the spare tank to hook it up. SO, I need to position the spare tank beside the main tank and keep some of the diesel lifeline anti-gel stuff on hand as well.

Also, when the piped froze and burst, he had to search all over for my copper pipe tools and pvc stuff. If I know that cold is coming, I need to get that stuff out while its warm and put it in a place to easily find.

[Linked Image]
Re: Getting a little more prepared... [Re: kagomez85] #8180269 02/22/21 05:18 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Some good stuff in this thread. I live in in DFW metromess but by no means did I grow up in the city. My neighbors say they are just amazed at all the stuff I have. To me its just common knowledge and how I was raised. Now to restock and retool. Also I will Prepare now for summer with generator and fuel plans as I'm afraid the electric outages and rolling black-outs will be regularly scheduled and more prominent this summer. As I age, I really despise July to early Sept. and wife likes it cool but I'm concerned about $$$$$ more so now.

For next winter, I've made my list for upgrades but a few restocking are really easy to accomplish this spring: restock firewood 1-2 cords, add additional water storage/tote options (I had 50 gal on hand), make sure generator is running and add a quick connect to breaker box to run essentials, add additional fuel storage and rotation plan, stage 20# propane tanks for use so as not to freeze up (I have a dozen and 4 30# tanks to run Mr Buddy's heaters and propane cook stove), replenish kerosene for lamps.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide