Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,733
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8177982 02/20/21 04:38 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Most importantly enclose the power plants, we may never need it again in our life time, but can we afford to take any more chances on crashing the grid...

What do you do with all that heat come July and August? I get your point but that may not be feasible to that extent. Maybe look at how well a nuclear steam plant is insulated and go with that.

People really think it's that simple. We're losing $10M a day being down, if it made economic sense it woulda been done by now.

Crashing the grid would cost a whole bunch more....

Are you proposing to do nothing?

It works most years.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177983 02/20/21 04:38 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: CharlieCTx] #8177989 02/20/21 04:44 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

100%

Thats what I've been asking.... What power does Ercot have over power plants. Apparently they didn't have any.... pointing fingers doesn't get us anywhere. We know what the cause was, and it looks like Abbott will handle it. Lets go texas

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 02/20/21 04:47 PM.
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: CharlieCTx] #8177991 02/20/21 04:47 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I thought we wanted less government regulation?
THF is a confusing group.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: TexFlip] #8177995 02/20/21 04:49 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Most importantly enclose the power plants, we may never need it again in our life time, but can we afford to take any more chances on crashing the grid...

What do you do with all that heat come July and August? I get your point but that may not be feasible to that extent. Maybe look at how well a nuclear steam plant is insulated and go with that.

People really think it's that simple. We're losing $10M a day being down, if it made economic sense it woulda been done by now.

Yep, engineers don't always make good business decisions and bean counters don't always make good engineering decisions. We'll see what shakes out of this, hopefully something productive that benefits consumers. I'm not going to hold my breath...

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: TexFlip] #8178002 02/20/21 04:55 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

In this case, I guess you have to decide between feeling less regulated or warm and not thirsty.

Charlie

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: TexFlip] #8178003 02/20/21 04:55 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Yep. We had 4 days of no power due to a winter storm that has happened once in 37 years and people want to find a scape goat and spend billions of dollars.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: CharlieCTx] #8178005 02/20/21 04:56 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

In this case, I guess you have to decide between feeling less regulated or warm and not thirsty.

Charlie

Maybe people will pick up an extra case of water here and there to put away from now on.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: cbump] #8178006 02/20/21 04:56 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by cbump

Yep. We had 4 days of no power due to a winter storm that has happened once in 37 years and people want to find a scape goat and spend billions of dollars.

Preach capitalism and self reliance but don't know what to do when it gets cold out and the heater kicks off.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: Bee'z] #8178007 02/20/21 04:57 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by 2Beez
A wind turbine is not a GD turbine. It is a wind mill. A gas turbine is a legit turbine and can make fuel in two different ways to provide energy and better serve the folks of Texas. Plus those [censored] wind mills are ugly

From Merriam Webster... Turbine = a rotary engine actuated by the reaction or impulse or both of a current of fluid (such as water, steam, or air) subject to pressure and usually made with a series of curved vanes on a central rotating spindle.

Just sayin...

Charlie

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: CharlieCTx] #8178012 02/20/21 05:04 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A wind turbine is not a GD turbine. It is a wind mill. A gas turbine is a legit turbine and can make fuel in two different ways to provide energy and better serve the folks of Texas. Plus those [censored] wind mills are ugly

From Merriam Webster... Turbine = a rotary engine actuated by the reaction or impulse or both of a current of fluid (such as water, steam, or air) subject to pressure and usually made with a series of curved vanes on a central rotating spindle.

Just sayin...

Charlie

I hired in with a fella from Iran. We were taking a field trip one day during training with one of the rotating equipment engineers. He took us up on one of the big compressor decks with a machine that ran on 1700# steam and mentions the "turbine cap". I looked at the guy from Iran and said "I bet you know quite a bit about those turbine caps..." I'm glad he has a good sense of humor.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8178025 02/20/21 05:22 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Atmos Energy was sending out warnings that users needed to turn down the thermostats on heating units and water heaters. That in in itself was a warning that the natural gas delivery system was about to get into big trouble.

Next, the nuclear plants were having to slow out put because of cooling water problems, the water was freezing up. I believe it was said the Matagorda Bay Nuclear power plant was shutdown.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: dogcatcher] #8178033 02/20/21 05:28 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Atmos Energy was sending out warnings that users needed to turn down the thermostats on heating units and water heaters. That in in itself was a warning that the natural gas delivery system was about to get into big trouble.

Next, the nuclear plants were having to slow out put because of cooling water problems, the water was freezing up. I believe it was said the Matagorda Bay Nuclear power plant was shutdown.

BIL said every form of energy failed us. NG was the biggest failure, followed by coal.... I think energy diversity is a good thing. We don't want to have all our eggs in one basket.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8178042 02/20/21 05:36 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Build nuclear.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8178045 02/20/21 05:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

BIL said every form of energy failed us. NG was the biggest failure, followed by coal.... I think energy diversity is a good thing. We don't want to have all our eggs in one basket.

Of what was up and running what percentage of capacity of each was actually available...

Energy diversity is only as good as the infrastructure and delivery ... It's pointless to do 1/5 right. No such thing as a blanket checks. Appropriate budget according, Dont bow to BS Subsidies.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: TexFlip] #8178054 02/20/21 05:44 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Just sayin...

Charlie

I hired in with a fella from Iran. We were taking a field trip one day during training with one of the rotating equipment engineers. He took us up on one of the big compressor decks with a machine that ran on 1700# steam and mentions the "turbine cap". I looked at the guy from Iran and said "I bet you know quite a bit about those turbine caps..." I'm glad he has a good sense of humor.

roflmao

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: TexFlip] #8178065 02/20/21 05:52 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Preach capitalism and self reliance but don't know what to do when it gets cold out and the heater kicks off.

The government need to protect us from this horror ever happening again...

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8178072 02/20/21 05:55 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Its the state grid........ of course government is gonna be involved.....

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8178109 02/20/21 06:38 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I think its fake.

I could tell it was fake just from reading it.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: cbump] #8178116 02/20/21 06:50 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

As mentioned in the link, 2011 was alot of fun as well, remember the introduction of Cobblestone ice? They made alot of noise after, but did nothing. I recall it vividly as it was #1 son's first TYHP deer hunt and we spent the weekend in the Lexington area sleeping in my Avalanche with a tent on it. That was some kind of cold...

Charlie

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8178154 02/20/21 07:39 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don’t remember It.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8178246 02/20/21 09:02 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

I think a lot of folks are confusing the NG failure part of this. NG fired power plants were up and running, and stayed up and running to my knowledge. That's what they are built to do, how they are designed. That's one of the reasons why there are so many Gas Turbine Generators in each one of these plants. It's not just for output, but also for reliability purposes. I have not yet seen or heard of any cooling towers in these plants freezing up causing plants to shut in (talking about NG fired PP's, not refineries etc). Was there ice on the cooling towers, yes. That's a regular occurrence in Winter, but the water still flows (like leaving your faucets on at your house but on a MUCH larger scale) and continues to get circulated. Now if I'm proven wrong on this after this weather event, then I'll own it.

What I do know is that there was a failure of our NG delivery systems. NG fired power plants don't have a lot of on-site storage, and relies on gas to be piped in. Piping refined/dry gas in is not a problem, it doesn't freeze like wet gas can that you're pulling out of the ground for processing. The problem here is that some unrefined wet gas in piping/valves etc did freeze. That created a shortage of gas to feed the turbines in the power plants. Using the available gas to warm people's homes took priority over feeding power plants, so of course the operators had to reduce electrical output due to decreased feed gas.

The problem wasn't the Winterization of NG fired power plants overall (yes there will always be something to freeze up & fix, but the plant stays running). The problem was with our NG delivery systems, that's where we need to focus our Winterization efforts and money going forward. I wrote all of this because a lot of folks keep lumping NG fired power plants and NG delivery system failures all together and say things like "gas failed us". We have plenty of NG resources in the ground. What we need are more NG fired power plants to keep up with our population increase, and a bigger/better prepared NG delivery system. Wind & Solar needs to only be used as a cushion to our more reliable resources.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide