SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
This just in from the Texas railroad commissioner:

From Texas Railroad Commissioner Wayne Christian:

WINTER STORM:

• This week, our grid failed us when temperatures reached historic lows and people needed electricity and heat the most.
• There were almost 4.5 million customers without power during the peak of the outage on February 16th. As of today, there are still close to 3 million Texans without power.
• The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, manages about 90% of the state's power for 26 million customers.
• ERCOT is overseen by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature.
• ERCOT's recently elected chair and vice chair for the board of directors do not live in Texas and live in Michigan and California respectively.
• ERCOT said there were 45,000 megawatts offline. Of that, 15,000 megawatts were wind and 30,000 were gas and coal.
• On the morning of February 14th, ERCOT CEO Bill Magness warned: “We are experiencing record- breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas. At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units.”
• It is important to note that every natural gas plant online at the start of this crisis stayed online.
• While there have been some issues with natural gas production during this storm, much of that has to do with ERCOT cutting off power to well sites in West Texas. ERCOT assumed the state would have 67GW from thermal sources (gas & coal), but ended up only being able to get 43GW online.
• Many, including myself, have warned for years about the dangers of relying too heavily on unreliable, intermittent forms of electric generation like wind and solar to meet the energy needs for thirty-million Texans.
• This couldn’t have happened a decade ago when “coal-fired plants generated nearly 37 percent of the state’s electricity while wind provided about 6 percent. Since then, three Texas coal-fired plants have closed... In the same period, our energy consumption rose by 20 percent.”
• ERCOT was notified over a decade ago that Texas power plants had failed to adequately weatherize facilities to protect against cold weather. A federal report that summer recommended steps including installing heating elements around pipes and increasing the amount of reserve power available before storms.
• Instead of spending our resources making our grid more resilient, policy and spending has focused spending on mandating or subsidizing as much wind and solar as possible.
• The takeaway from this storm should not be the failure of fossil fuels, but the failure of leadership at ERCOT and the dangers of relying on intermittent, unreliable forms of energy like wind for a quarter of our energy needs.
• It shows as clear as day that the goal of 100% renewables by 2035 is a pipe dream that will increase suffering and harm Texas families.
• Had Texas been using 100% renewables, we would have had 100% blackouts.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177148 02/19/21 11:54 PM
L
LonestarCobra Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Good read, and aligns with my thoughts all along. Thanks for posting.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177155 02/19/21 11:58 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
• It is important to note that every natural gas plant online at the start of this crisis stayed online.

• The takeaway from this storm should not be the failure of fossil fuels, but the failure of leadership at ERCOT and the dangers of relying on intermittent, unreliable forms of energy like wind for a quarter of our energy needs.

• It shows as clear as day that the goal of 100% renewables by 2035 is a pipe dream that will increase suffering and harm Texas families.

• Many, including myself, have warned for years about the dangers of relying too heavily on unreliable, intermittent forms of electric generation like wind and solar to meet the energy needs for thirty-million Texans.

• This couldn’t have happened a decade ago when “coal-fired plants generated nearly 37 percent of the state’s electricity while wind provided about 6 percent. Since then, three Texas coal-fired plants have closed... In the same period, our energy consumption rose by 20 percent.”

and there you have it.....sure sounds kind of familiar, huh Snake.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: skinnerback] #8177160 02/20/21 12:01 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback

and there you have it.....sure sounds kind of familiar, huh Snake.

Yes Sir!

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177179 02/20/21 12:14 AM
D
DannyB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It should be noted that we have had rolling blackouts in the summer as well. ERCOT is useless.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177183 02/20/21 12:16 AM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Can I get a link to that report?

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177188 02/20/21 12:20 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S

Instead of spending our resources making our grid more resilient, policy and spending has focused spending on mandating or subsidizing as much wind and solar as possible.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177192 02/20/21 12:21 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Someone is lying....Jes sayin’

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8177194 02/20/21 12:21 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

I’m looking for it now. It came to me in a text.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177196 02/20/21 12:23 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

I went to his and the RRC's site and couldn't find it, might have missed it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: HWY_MAN] #8177198 02/20/21 12:25 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

https://www.rrc.state.tx.us/news/021921-christian-spending-priorities/

Spending Should Have Prioritized Reliability
By Commissioner Wayne Christian

Everything is so politicized these days that it is tough to decipher facts from opinions about what happened this week with the winter storm.

It’s easy to blame ERCOT — and yes, their actions led to the blackouts in part — but the full story is much more complex. One night of bad decisions would not have had such devastating consequences had it not been for decades of poor policy decisions prioritizing unreliable renewable energy sources at the expense of reliable electricity — something Texans now know is essential to our everyday lives.

I have seen a lot of media reports claiming the issue was a decrease in power generated from natural gas, but when you look at the numbers that is just not true. According to the U.S. Energy Information Agency, the hourly average of net power generation from gas went from 17,602 mw before the storm (2/1-2/12) to 33,310 during the storm (2/12-2/17), meaning generation from natural gas basically doubled as demand increased. (1)

Many are blaming fossil fuels because "wind power was expected to make up only a fraction of what the state had planned for during the winter."(2) This is the problem. Investments in infrastructure are paid for by electricity customers and taxpayers, and our state spent more than $7 billion to build out the CREZ Transmission Lines for wind and solar generation.

This means resources that could have otherwise been spent making our grid more resilient to weather — or adding reliable generation from natural gas, nuclear, or clean coal to keep up with increasing demand for electricity — were instead spent on building out transmission lines for intermittent forms of energy that were "never expected" to perform during times like these.

The issue isn't the existence of renewable energy, but that it has displaced reliable generation that makes up our "base load," not through natural market forces but through massive subsidies and punitive regulatory policies from progressives in Washington, D.C. In 2009, “coal-fired plants generated nearly 37 percent of the state’s electricity while wind provided about 6 percent. Since then, three Texas coal-fired plants have closed… In the same period, our energy consumption rose by 20 percent.”(3)

Everyone loves to tout the phrase “all the above” — until it includes energy sources perceived as “dirty,” like coal, or "scary," like nuclear. However, these energy sources are both extraordinarily safe and dependable in adverse weather conditions like Texas is facing now because one of their key features is on-site storage. If the "all the above" wind and solar advocates are serious about anything more than receiving subsidies, why are they opposed to nuclear, which can produce massive amounts of energy with a ZERO carbon footprint?

There is no single reason we are in the mess we are in now; it is a multifaceted perfect storm. However, every time the government picks winners and losers in business and innovation, it is the average citizens that lose. This week was a wakeup call that there is more to energy policy than the politics of climate change.

1) https://mcusercontent.com/ec5dd75d9...b57-45ad-9dbb-4c7f7d0eb850/EIA_Data.xlsx
2) https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/
3) https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/fiscal-notes/2020/august/ercot.php

Last edited by Stub; 02/20/21 12:26 AM.

texas flag

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177200 02/20/21 12:26 AM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I think its fake.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177207 02/20/21 12:29 AM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
In your face ERCOT!!! realmad

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: Stub] #8177219 02/20/21 12:40 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub

Spending Should Have Prioritized Reliability
By Commissioner Wayne Christian

Everything is so politicized these days that it is tough to decipher facts from opinions about what happened this week with the winter storm.

It’s easy to blame ERCOT — and yes, their actions led to the blackouts in part — but the full story is much more complex. One night of bad decisions would not have had such devastating consequences had it not been for decades of poor policy decisions prioritizing unreliable renewable energy sources at the expense of reliable electricity — something Texans now know is essential to our everyday lives.

I have seen a lot of media reports claiming the issue was a decrease in power generated from natural gas, but when you look at the numbers that is just not true. According to the U.S. Energy Information Agency, the hourly average of net power generation from gas went from 17,602 mw before the storm (2/1-2/12) to 33,310 during the storm (2/12-2/17), meaning generation from natural gas basically doubled as demand increased. (1)

Many are blaming fossil fuels because "wind power was expected to make up only a fraction of what the state had planned for during the winter."(2) This is the problem. Investments in infrastructure are paid for by electricity customers and taxpayers, and our state spent more than $7 billion to build out the CREZ Transmission Lines for wind and solar generation.

This means resources that could have otherwise been spent making our grid more resilient to weather — or adding reliable generation from natural gas, nuclear, or clean coal to keep up with increasing demand for electricity — were instead spent on building out transmission lines for intermittent forms of energy that were "never expected" to perform during times like these.

The issue isn't the existence of renewable energy, but that it has displaced reliable generation that makes up our "base load," not through natural market forces but through massive subsidies and punitive regulatory policies from progressives in Washington, D.C. In 2009, “coal-fired plants generated nearly 37 percent of the state’s electricity while wind provided about 6 percent. Since then, three Texas coal-fired plants have closed… In the same period, our energy consumption rose by 20 percent.”(3)

Everyone loves to tout the phrase “all the above” — until it includes energy sources perceived as “dirty,” like coal, or "scary," like nuclear. However, these energy sources are both extraordinarily safe and dependable in adverse weather conditions like Texas is facing now because one of their key features is on-site storage. If the "all the above" wind and solar advocates are serious about anything more than receiving subsidies, why are they opposed to nuclear, which can produce massive amounts of energy with a ZERO carbon footprint?

There is no single reason we are in the mess we are in now; it is a multifaceted perfect storm. However, every time the government picks winners and losers in business and innovation, it is the average citizens that lose. This week was a wakeup call that there is more to energy policy than the politics of climate change.

1) https://mcusercontent.com/ec5dd75d9...b57-45ad-9dbb-4c7f7d0eb850/EIA_Data.xlsx
2) https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/
3) https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/fiscal-notes/2020/august/ercot.php

Thank you Sir I didn't have the correct title to search.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177230 02/20/21 12:47 AM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The original post is probably fake news, there is a huge slant in it, and I can't find it anywhere.

I show it to my BIL and he asked me where I got this chet from.... lol he was pissed.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 02/20/21 12:48 AM.
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8177236 02/20/21 12:52 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The original post is probably fake news, there is a huge slant in it, and I can't find it anywhere.

I show it to my BIL and he asked me where I got this chet from.... lol he was pissed.

The link Stub provided took me straight to the article and the RRC website.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 02/20/21 12:54 AM.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: HWY_MAN] #8177244 02/20/21 12:57 AM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Yeah thats the first place I went, and I didn't see what was in the original post.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8177250 02/20/21 01:00 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Yeah thats the first place I went, and I didn't see what was in the original post.

Didn't have the correct title.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: HWY_MAN] #8177251 02/20/21 01:00 AM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Didn't have the correct title.

Or the same info...... or did I miss something?

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177254 02/20/21 01:02 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for posting the source. Too much fake stuff out there.

To be determined
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177260 02/20/21 01:06 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
For one I believe that most if not all of what Snake posted is probably correct! Some things get jumbled in the translation and even a blind man can see that a whole lot of what is mentioned here is probably spot on.

What a joke ERCOT is and what its name stands for whip

This just in from the Texas railroad commissioner:

From Texas Railroad Commissioner Wayne Christian:

WINTER STORM:

• This week, our grid failed us when temperatures reached historic lows and people needed electricity and heat the most.
• There were almost 4.5 million customers without power during the peak of the outage on February 16th. As of today, there are still close to 3 million Texans without power.
• The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, manages about 90% of the state's power for 26 million customers.
• ERCOT is overseen by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature.
• ERCOT's recently elected chair and vice chair for the board of directors do not live in Texas and live in Michigan and California respectively.
• ERCOT said there were 45,000 megawatts offline. Of that, 15,000 megawatts were wind and 30,000 were gas and coal.
• On the morning of February 14th, ERCOT CEO Bill Magness warned: “We are experiencing record- breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas. At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units.”
• While there have been some issues with natural gas production during this storm, much of that has to do with ERCOT cutting off power to well sites in West Texas. ERCOT assumed the state would have 67GW from thermal sources (gas & coal), but ended up only being able to get 43GW online.
• ERCOT was notified over a decade ago that Texas power plants had failed to adequately weatherize facilities to protect against cold weather. A federal report that summer recommended steps including installing heating elements around pipes and increasing the amount of reserve power available before storms.
• Instead of spending our resources making our grid more resilient, policy and spending has focused spending on mandating or subsidizing as much wind and solar as possible.

texas flag

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8177261 02/20/21 01:07 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Does your BIL work for ERCOT ?

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: S.A. hunter] #8177262 02/20/21 01:09 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Or the same info...... or did I miss something?

Not that I can tell, I suspect the original that snake received wasn't by the Commissioner.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177269 02/20/21 01:12 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Sorry but that's funny.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone posted something they got in a text as fact I could probably go buy Amazon.

Re: From the Texas Railroad Commission.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8177272 02/20/21 01:13 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Interesting the first post doesn’t seem to match up with the source. This is why I always recommend caution. Be skeptical of reading something that has information you automatically like or agree with.

To be determined
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide