Forums46
Topics537,996
Posts9,731,563
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Paluxy] #8176387 02/19/21 03:54 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Fossil fuel and nuclear all use steam to spin a turbine. If the water freezes up it doesn't matter what heat source is used.

That was our issue. To make steam you need ultra pure water. Water so pure that if you drink it, it'll suck the minerals out of your teeth. We were teetering on losing our demineralized water capabilities so we started shedding steam users. You don't have to worry about the water that makes steam freezing its superheated. You worry about losing the raw water supply that is purified to make boiler feed water. The boiler feed water is used to make the steam.

When RR commission cut natural gas to users that don't make electricity that didn't help. We had to trip our steam producers that, while they don't "make electricity", they take load off the steam producers that do make electricity.

Silver lining is we are now exporting 20x the electricity to the grid than we normally do. Enough to power 150k homes.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Paluxy] #8176390 02/19/21 03:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Fossil fuel and nuclear all use steam to spin a turbine. If the water freezes up it doesn't matter what heat source is used.

Are we pulling off the top? How big are those intake pipes?

Edit: Never mind Texflip answer with the pure h20, water has to be cleaned first. I was thinking intake not distillation

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/19/21 03:59 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8176392 02/19/21 03:59 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Off the top of what?

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176395 02/19/21 04:00 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
That’s 1/3rd of the board of directors living outside Texas. One of the board members is from Canada.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: TexFlip] #8176396 02/19/21 04:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TexFlip

Off the top of what?

Lake Arlington, squaw creek etc.

I was thinking he was saying supply was frozen, I didn’t realize it was distilled

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8176405 02/19/21 04:04 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Off the top of what?

Lake Arlington, squaw creek etc.

I was thinking he was saying supply was frozen, I didn’t realize it was distilled

It isn't the water supply that freezes its the instrumentation that tells you how much flow you have. You lose critical instrumentation and equipment trips offline to stop a catastrophic failure.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: S.A. hunter] #8176410 02/19/21 04:05 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
I can't believe we don't have a power plant guy on here.....

I spent several years working in power plants (gas & steam/not nuclear). We also produce our own electricity from gas on every deep water Oil & Gas Production Platform in the GOM. I know a thing or two about power generation and distribution.

You keep mentioning enclosing our power plants like they do up North, but what you are thinking enclosed means does not necessarily mean enclosed. Like I said previously, I have some questions that I would like to know the answers to before I start blaming all of this on the power plants not being Winterized. I’m not getting my information 2’nd or 3’rd hand (still never told me who your BIL works for), I have hands on experience working in power plants and I know quite a bit about Wintertime preventive measures. Like I said before, there’s gotta be more to the story. Hopefully we get some specific answers soon so we can learn from this.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176411 02/19/21 04:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Why won’t we enclose them? Too much cost?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8176412 02/19/21 04:06 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

ROI

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: TexFlip] #8176419 02/19/21 04:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

ROI

Gotcha. Maybe this will change the thinking. A burned up investment ain’t much of an investment. IDK I’m just reading and learning....

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176420 02/19/21 04:09 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Even when winterization is 100%, chit happens. You blow a fuse on one section of electric heat trace and a line to an instrument can freeze. A bad value on an instrument can tell a compressor to trip. A tripped compressor can shut down an entire plant.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: TexFlip] #8176427 02/19/21 04:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Even when winterization is 100%, chit happens. You blow a fuse on one section of electric heat trace and a line to an instrument can freeze. A bad value on an instrument can tell a compressor to trip. A tripped compressor can shut down an entire plant.

If they can have a reliable electric grid in Alaska and North Dakota, seems like we could have one here. I know we have more demand but we also have the concomitant amount of paying customers. Just seems to me anyway.....
confused2

I get we have to prepare more for heat than cold. Is it just too costly to do both?

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: JimBridger] #8176439 02/19/21 04:16 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappybear
I just heard this morning on News Max that five of the top officials in ERCOT don’t even live in Texas. WTF

Some of the board members are not even Americans. And yes, it absolutely matters.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8176442 02/19/21 04:17 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
I wonder how many billions this just cost the people and state of TX

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Paluxy] #8176447 02/19/21 04:18 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

No Sir. Gas Turbine Generators do not use steam to spin the turbine, only needs NG. The only water involved is a Cooling Water System, different animal vs steam generation.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176456 02/19/21 04:21 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by fadetoblack64
I wonder how many billions this just cost the people and state of TX

Big companies will put pressure on the state to get this right. They lost their azzez on this one.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8176468 02/19/21 04:26 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

If they can have a reliable electric grid in Alaska and North Dakota, seems like we could have one here. I know we have more demand but we also have the concomitant amount of paying customers. Just seems to me anyway.....
confused2

I get we have to prepare more for heat than cold. Is it just too costly to do both?

Every event like this we learn from; freeze, hurricane etc. We have a winterization list that grows every year after something is exposed as a weak point. You can't predict every failure.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176475 02/19/21 04:29 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I know from working in a refinery if you wrap an instrument well enough for this kind of cold it will cook the electronics come summer.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: TexFlip] #8176477 02/19/21 04:30 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Yes Sir that is true for chemical plants and refineries, NG powered Power Plants are another animal though. Like you said even if Winterization is 100%, chit still happens BUT in a power plant if there is an upset with a unit it is easily bypassed. Output may be temporarily decreased but the other generators are still running.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: TexFlip] #8176480 02/19/21 04:31 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

confused2

Every event like this we learn from; freeze, hurricane etc. We have a winterization list that grows every year after something is exposed as a weak point. You can't predict every failure.

Yeah, but you could minimize the over all failure of soo many plants. Everything failed in one way or another.... failure rate was too high.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: TexFlip] #8176482 02/19/21 04:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

confused2

Sure, I get that. Just seems there’s a lot of space between not being able to predict every failure and the entire grid coming within minutes of being destroyed.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8176484 02/19/21 04:33 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

confused2

Sure, I get that. Just seems there’s a lot of space between not being able to predict every failure and the entire grid coming within minutes of being destroyed.

Correct.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176493 02/19/21 04:36 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How can I ride with both on this thread. confused2

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176569 02/19/21 05:16 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I think folks need to settle down. This polar vortex was the 'perfect storm' to exploit EVERY kink/weakness in the whole system, from generation to consumption.
I think this will become a learning lesson for everyone.
'Decisions' from Ercot or elsewhere would not have been enough to mitigate all these weaknesses compounding into what happened.

Cold hard cash spent on preventative measures in anticipation - both on generation side AND consumers could have prevented this, as well as conservation measures in crisis by consumers.

While I did not enjoy the 48 hours being in the dark & cold, I am thankful Ercot kept the major infrastructure from blowing out, which would have been the real catastrophe.
Could they have done their job better, anticipating this, and sending more warnings & advisories out? Yes, perhaps. But who (consumers) would have listened?
Do you (the consumer) even have a plan on how to reduce your consumption in a cold weather crisis? Or a plan to reduce your consumption in a heat wave?
Still lots to discuss/figure out.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176573 02/19/21 05:18 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
All you Rocket Surgeons out there, please heed the words of OldOak.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide