Forums46
Topics537,041
Posts9,719,733
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties #8176154 02/19/21 01:59 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Let's hear the secrets to a successful recipe of hunting small properties, less than 100 acres in size. For baseline sake, let's say good deer genetics in the vicinity, moderate surrounding hunting pressure, larger ranches in proximity, deep tank onsite holding water year round, good cover, mix of mesquites, cactus and pasture, moderate road noise and moderate nocturnal deer activity at penned feeders. Let's hear your trade secrets!!!

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176180 02/19/21 02:16 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Sounds like you are describing my place. Not sure it is a secret, but in my opinion the key is patience. Hunt as often as possible, but be selective in shots - this takes patience. Don't expect a trophy buck every year, or even every other year - patience. And make friends with your neighbors and hopefully pass along the patience bug to them.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176221 02/19/21 02:38 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
#1 secret...

Be fair. Don't give the bigger ranches reason to high fence you off. wink

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: BbarVRanch] #8176227 02/19/21 02:42 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
#1 secret...

That's a given, one shot let off on last 3 seasons on a hog though I've seen legal deer in those seasons.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176292 02/19/21 03:10 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
#1 secret...

That's a given, one shot let off on last 3 seasons on a hog though I've seen legal deer in those seasons.

I'm the same way.

Being the largest ranch of those that adjoin me, I find it frustrating that I'm the only one that really practices any deer management, or even keeps supplemental feed and protein out year round.

The rest only corn their feeders 2 weeks before the season, and let them empty out after it's over. bang

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176300 02/19/21 03:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Make your presence as small as possible have a way in/out without disturbing the place, feed feed and feed.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176349 02/19/21 03:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Let's hear the secrets to a successful recipe of hunting small properties, less than 100 acres in size. For baseline sake, let's say good deer genetics in the vicinity, moderate surrounding hunting pressure, larger ranches in proximity, deep tank onsite holding water year round, good cover, mix of mesquites, cactus and pasture, moderate road noise and moderate nocturnal deer activity at penned feeders. Let's hear your trade secrets!!!

Same as public, find(in this case limit) pressure, the pinch points to food are the better bet, big bucks may be nocturnal in the feed pen but not in their staging areas.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: redchevy] #8176366 02/19/21 03:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
Make your presence as small as possible have a way in/out without disturbing the place, feed feed and feed.

I used to think that was the case. Had a friend/client buy 200 acres that he fixed up for resale. He was out there every single day on his dozer, cutting brush with a chainsaw and burning cedar. Had feeders going but wildlife was a distant 2nd to fixing up the place.

He killed some nice deer out of there. Animal numbers sure didn’t seem to decrease like I thought they would.

I agree that be selective and don’t make enemies of your neighbors. Also bite the bullet and feed. I’m in a similar situation and I feed the crap outta the deer. It gets expensive but I never lack seeing deer so far

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: txtrophy85] #8176380 02/19/21 03:53 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I used to think that was the case. Had a friend/client buy 200 acres that he fixed up for resale. He was out there every single day on his dozer, cutting brush with a chainsaw and burning cedar. Had feeders going but wildlife was a distant 2nd to fixing up the place.

He killed some nice deer out of there. Animal numbers sure didn’t seem to decrease like I thought they would.

I agree that be selective and don’t make enemies of your neighbors. Also bite the bullet and feed. I’m in a similar situation and I feed the crap outta the deer. It gets expensive but I never lack seeing deer so far

I agree, if you are out there all the time its fine too, but im only guessing many do not go to their small honey hole property all the time. Deer get accustomed to constants. Like a deer blind always being there or deer grazing on the side of IH 37 with trucks and cars flying by them at 90 mph and they dont even pick their head up. But dont fill the feeders once a month and then head out there opening weekend run your 4 wheeler over all of it the night before and drive your pickup to the blind and wonder why you dont see anything.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176401 02/19/21 04:02 PM
H
HornFan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Our rule is only shoot old bucks. Period. I have 130 acres in Mills County and we have killed some really nice deer. But deer have to be mature. No exceptions. We have killed 5 bucks in last 10 years.

I lease an additional 50 acres 2 miles up the road from my place to give us another stand and we have only killed one buck there over the last 6 years.

We love and eat lots of deer meat. We love to "fill the freezer". But do it with does. Never a buck that is less than 5 and a half years old.

We have passed up some nice young deer that we never saw again but that is just part of it.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: redchevy] #8176409 02/19/21 04:04 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Get in the dead center and make a 5 acre food plot.
Learn to bow hunt,
If not, hunt the crap out of the first 2 weeks and the last.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176479 02/19/21 04:31 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Great stuff, keep those learned secrets coming!!!!

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: HornFan] #8176589 02/19/21 05:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by HornFan
Our rule is only shoot old bucks. Period. I have 130 acres in Mills County and we have killed some really nice deer. But deer have to be mature. No exceptions. We have killed 5 bucks in last 10 years.

I lease an additional 50 acres 2 miles up the road from my place to give us another stand and we have only killed one buck there over the last 6 years.

We love and eat lots of deer meat. We love to "fill the freezer". But do it with does. Never a buck that is less than 5 and a half years old.

We have passed up some nice young deer that we never saw again but that is just part of it.

100%.

We are similar sized and rule is no bucks less than 5 1/2, Unless it’s a straight junk cull but that is your buck. No 3 1/2 year old 8’s or 10’s. Really don’t want 4 year olds getting shot either.

Neighbors seem to be on the same page, one neighbor had a nice collection of hill country bucks from over the years

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176604 02/19/21 05:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
My little place is in an AR county. The only bucks we have that meet AR's are older than Methuselah, i guess it is doing its job!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176820 02/19/21 08:05 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Feed something different than the other ranches around you — roasted soy, cotton seed, peanuts etc. This is what I did for my 50 acre place in flower mound and it would hold the deer on my place or at least draw them in regularly

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176834 02/19/21 08:11 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
My biggest secret is that I got very good with a bow. Bow hunt hard until I shoot a good deer then once rifle starts I just keep feeders full and give the deer a reason to be safe on my property. I also feed year round to set up consistent feed areas for the deer. Don't give them a reason to go very far.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: txtrophy85] #8176850 02/19/21 08:19 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Yep, the deer will get used to human activity if you're doing stuff all the time. Can't tell you how many times I've had deer walk by while I was shooting or running a chainsaw and burning brush. Had a couple come up to within 30 yards of a big burn pile just the other evening. They were grazing and didn't have a care in the world that there were 2 guys and a big fire right there in front of them. Oh, and this place is 80 acres.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: RedSnake] #8176868 02/19/21 08:27 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by RedSnake
Feed something different than the other ranches around you — roasted soy, cotton seed, peanuts etc. This is what I did for my 50 acre place in flower mound and it would hold the deer on my place or at least draw them in regularly

Great idea and suggestion...

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176871 02/19/21 08:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Deer get use to repetition. One of our deer blinds had a tin roof coming off this season. In a steady wind that tin roof would bang around loud enough you thought you needed ear plugs, but the deer didnt even look. On our old lease the land lady had a 70's model gray chevy pickup she checked stock/windmills/etc. in twice a day. I rode with her on several occasions to do so. This truck had almost never left the property was loud as hell with a rusted off exhaust etc. but the deer acted like it was not there. Drive any of our pickups through the pasture and all you would see is white tails running away.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176891 02/19/21 08:42 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I hunt a 100acre property. I have found a few very important things.

1. Provide enough feed, and diversity in feed, that the deer do not need to leave the property. They will always roam much more than 100acres, but the less they need to leave the property, the better.

2. Minimize your footprint from labor day throughout the season.

3. any major changes to the property, new stands, tree cutting, etc, should be done as early in the year as possible so the animals have time to become used to their new surroundings.

4. control of competition for food. Pigs, etc... and predators.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176984 02/19/21 09:46 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Go sit, be quiet and do not fall asleep.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8176994 02/19/21 09:56 PM
S
Stetsonoverton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
for me the key to be very success on small property is location, while i usually dont like hunting small properties. some small properties can be amazing just by location itself. one of the coolest small properties i have ever hunted was 60 acres that butted up next to sugar tree golf course. Would see/encounter several good deer (130-150) class deer yearly and always saw had 6-20 deer a sit. we only bow hunted it and harvested mature bucks only back we had access to it

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8177285 02/20/21 01:18 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My tale would be to make that 100 acres as nice a deer haven as possible, habitat management, food sources both in food plots, feeders, and native forbs, and minimize movement on at least a decent section of the property to make deer feel comfortable there. Not saying that the deer wont get “used” to see people if you lived there, but for weekend warrior types, the deer sanctuary is a must. Deer will never get used to people being there just on the weekends, and will learn to adjust their living patterns and just go away when they know you are there. That’s the start.

As others have said, shoot only mature bucks. Doe may be shot based on numbers seen. Try to eliminate habitat predation as quickly as you can, meaning hogs will take over a habitat so when you see them they need to go. I am not a hige fan of shooting coyotes and bobcats right away, they can have a very good place inna well maintained habitat with lots of good small game which you will have with proper habitat management. I consider coyote and bobcat control a quaternary concern. But hogs i consider a primary to secondary concern.

I have 400 acres lf in southern OK, surrounded by decent sized tracts around most of the my property which is lightly hunted. I am now into year four of management on my place. I could have easily shot off 8-10 doe and not felt a dent in the deer herd this past year, wanted to take more than we did (3) but got busy hunting after a specific double main beam deer that was playing coy with us. We made the rule this year no bucks under 4, which really meant it had to be a nice mature buck to shoot and we passed a bunch of quite nice bucks this year. Next year i will add that you need to shoot two doe before you can shoot a buck. That way we will take more doe. With better habitat, better food, the dawn crop was good this year and i will probably need to take at least 6-7 doe just to keep up. Managing mouths is a better issue to deal with than dealing with deer sightings. It is a rare occurrence for someone to hunt at my place and not see a deer or four. We are primarily bow hunters, and we try to hunt the stands that allow for good scent control too. Always reassessing and not being stuck in one path or idea is helpful.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 02/20/21 01:20 AM.
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8177716 02/20/21 01:31 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Some great secrets revealed, let's dig really deep and bring out some of those "hard to know out of the box ideas" that have really worked such as employing decoys, rattling success, etc..

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: psycho0819] #8177730 02/20/21 01:42 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by psycho0819
I hunt a 100acre property. I have found a few very important things.

1. Provide enough feed, and diversity in feed, that the deer do not need to leave the property. They will always roam much more than 100acres, but the less they need to leave the property, the better.

2. Minimize your footprint from labor day throughout the season.

3. any major changes to the property, new stands, tree cutting, etc, should be done as early in the year as possible so the animals have time to become used to their new surroundings.

4. control of competition for food. Pigs, etc... and predators.

Good advice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide