Place to hunt, new to the state #8176031 02/19/21 11:58 AM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Hi,
My name is Mike and I am moving to Northeast Texas, New Boston area, got a job in Arkansas. I'm from Northeast PA, I live in what was nice farm country, allot of folks will let you hunt if you ask permission and you stick to archery, I have been reading various forums and that does not seem to be the case in Texas. Is that so? I also saw there is allot of state land to hunt, is that productive and it looks like you can only leave tree stand up for 72 hrs . Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by mike miller; 02/19/21 11:59 AM.
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176106 02/19/21 01:22 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

There are some good bow hunting opportunities for the public in Texas, but you have to draw for most. I would start with Haggerman Wildlife Refuge just west of Sherman. State parks and WMAs will put meat in the freezer. There is National Forest that you don’t have to draw. The best success is bow hunting there because most gun hunt so you get access 30 days before the crowd.

There is a public land section on this site. Dig in.

Most of Texas is private land and you must pay a trespass fee and secure landowner permission to hunt it.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8176111 02/19/21 01:25 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Thank you!

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8176117 02/19/21 01:30 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
If I want to hunt In white oak creek, would I need to get a special tag for that?

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176127 02/19/21 01:39 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Howdy Mike, my parents and grand parents are from Oil City. Shoot, we're practically neighbors.

Yeah, hunting in Texas is a cash crop to a lot of landowners. Those handshake agreements still exist but they are rare now. Up in your neck of the woods you can hunt public, I do down here in Montgomery county. If you want to go the deer lease route (actually, it is a license to trespass on someone's land) you can expect to spend 15 to 25 bucks/acre, but that's wildly generic depending on location/amenities, etc.

You're new to Texas, so a fair word of warning, trespassing is taken very serious here. A fence is considered a marker, along with signage and, yes, PURPLE PAINT. If you see any, don't cross, and don't let your arrows or bullets cross a border either.

welcome to THF and to Texas. One thing you'll find aside of what i wrote above is the opportunity for hunting in Texas is better than anywhere else in the world. You want an Elk in August? No problem. A zebra??? Yep, it can be done.

If you go the public route there is a Public forum here:
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/43/1/public-hunting

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176153 02/19/21 01:58 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mike miller
If I want to hunt In white oak creek, would I need to get a special tag for that?

You'll need a $48 public hunt permit, your license (of course) and you need to put in for a draw hunt for this WMA

Here's another link for you showing the public areas and what is required to hunt.
https://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c9788957300943559f7b49206e8ef153

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176211 02/19/21 02:30 PM
P
pine knott Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
COE around Wright Patman will be close

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: decook] #8176330 02/19/21 03:29 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Great Thanks

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: decook] #8176343 02/19/21 03:37 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by decook
Howdy Mike, my parents and grand parents are from Oil City. Shoot, we're practically neighbors.

Yeah, hunting in Texas is a cash crop to a lot of landowners. Those handshake agreements still exist but they are rare now. Up in your neck of the woods you can hunt public, I do down here in Montgomery county. If you want to go the deer lease route (actually, it is a license to trespass on someone's land) you can expect to spend 15 to 25 bucks/acre, but that's wildly generic depending on location/amenities, etc.

You're new to Texas, so a fair word of warning, trespassing is taken very serious here. A fence is considered a marker, along with signage and, yes, PURPLE PAINT. If you see any, don't cross, and don't let your arrows or bullets cross a border either.

welcome to THF and to Texas. One thing you'll find aside of what i wrote above is the opportunity for hunting in Texas is better than anywhere else in the world. You want an Elk in August? No problem. A zebra??? Yep, it can be done.

If you go the public route there is a Public forum here:
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/43/1/public-hunting

My Wifes family is from out that way, pleasure to meet you. Thank you for the information, it's allot different that PA. trying not to spend allot of money and I had 100 acres of my own land up here so I was kinda spoiled. Understand about trespassing, I feel the same way...Thank again

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176389 02/19/21 03:55 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Start making friends. Help friends and neighbors with chores/projects. That might get you an invite.

Remember the four seasons of Texas Hunting: Dove, Deer, Duck and Turkey

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176423 02/19/21 04:11 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF...

Gotta pay ta play...

Did the lease whin first arrived in 83, twas what every one was doing... Differant counties, differant regulations..
Some were buck only, some had 2ta3 day doe .. Some are 2 buck with doe tags..
They have area's that get special doe tags, each area tis differant...
Most area's have the 13inch rule... Some counties majority of bucks are basically basket racks...
Just barely reach ear ta ear as they mature, beams get thicker, taller... Smith County (area lived), twas buck only, (gun) couldn't get doe tags.. Archery could take two does, or 1buck1doe.. If took buck, no gun season... unless went ta differant county, (2buck), then use 2buck tag, ya get , scratch 4or5 tags with the super combow hunting licence, all state stamps... The more deer opertunities, (#'er of deer, qual, turcky & such) the higher the price per lease...
Most played for lease twas $250.00 a gun... Did the family outings, camping/hunting...

Public hunting, OSBWMA opened up just down road, & switched ta them hunts, did the hog hunts (Jan-end March hunts) after the deer hunts were done, archery deer/hogs... Did my hunt/scout hog hunts ta get ta know area... It stays wet, some great hunting, Best kept Secret...
Public Hunting Permit was $48.00 ya get (they sent a booklet) with all the opertunities, & regulation ... Best bank for your buck.... & good quality deer hunts... Some of the best hog hunts, they can be hotspots for hogs due ta regulations, no night hunts, no baiting, limited time, compared ta the 24-7-365 hunting pressure available ta the surrounding privet land...

Best wish's...
A translator may be required ta read this, so been told...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176502 02/19/21 04:40 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Hi,
My name is Mike and I am moving to Northeast Texas, New Boston area, got a job in Arkansas. I'm from Northeast PA, I live in what was nice farm country, allot of folks will let you hunt if you ask permission and you stick to archery, I have been reading various forums and that does not seem to be the case in Texas. Is that so? I also saw there is allot of state land to hunt, is that productive and it looks like you can only leave tree stand up for 72 hrs . Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

welcome to the THF! Yea, you will find it really hard to get free hunting opportunities in Texas. Through the years, I have hunted on a few friend's properties, but the opportunities there are slim. If you have a friend who has pigs, you should have an easier time getting some off season swine eradication responsibilities. Without a lease, you are going to have a really hard time getting hunting access to private lands.
I would not say that there is a lot of public hunting opportunites, but there are some. I hunted Caddo Grasslands and Corp of engineer properties back when I was younger and less well off. It can be rewarding for sure. You might want to look at Sabine bottom or white oak creek out east. https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: Hunt Dog] #8176551 02/19/21 05:08 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
will do..thank you

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: Hunt Dog] #8176553 02/19/21 05:08 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Hunt Dog
Start making friends. Help friends and neighbors with chores/projects. That might get you an invite.

thank you!

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: unclebubba] #8176558 02/19/21 05:09 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Hi,

welcome to the THF! Yea, you will find it really hard to get free hunting opportunities in Texas. Through the years, I have hunted on a few friend's properties, but the opportunities there are slim. If you have a friend who has pigs, you should have an easier time getting some off season swine eradication responsibilities. Without a lease, you are going to have a really hard time getting hunting access to private lands.
I would not say that there is a lot of public hunting opportunites, but there are some. I hunted Caddo Grasslands and Corp of engineer properties back when I was younger and less well off. It can be rewarding for sure. You might want to look at Sabine bottom or white oak creek out east. https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

Thanks I think I'm going to start looking for land to but..lol might be my best bet

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8176632 02/19/21 06:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Hi,

Look into

Texas Drawn hunts
COE land(most have their own draw)
Federal WMA’s and Wildlife Refuges(some are open public access others their own draw)

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8177068 02/19/21 10:55 PM
G
Gw123 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Wright Patman is pretty cool. Hunted up there some with my future father in law before Christmas. Saw a few deer an 5 hogs. No animals taken but it was fun for both of us. We did have a climb stand stolen so don’t leave anything on public land. We thought we were far enough back in to be able to leave our stands for a few days but evidentially not. We used his boat and came in from the lake side of the core land. Could be worth while if you were able to do some good scouting in advance

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: Hunt Dog] #8177393 02/20/21 02:22 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Don’t forget 365 x 7 x 24 Hog Season down here.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8178773 02/21/21 05:49 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Welcome to texas

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8178866 02/21/21 01:30 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Two words "private land"

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: TCM3] #8180032 02/22/21 01:57 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by TCM3
Welcome to texas

Thank you!!!

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: Gw123] #8180044 02/22/21 02:08 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Gw123
Wright Patman is pretty cool. Hunted up there some with my future father in law before Christmas. Saw a few deer an 5 hogs. No animals taken but it was fun for both of us. We did have a climb stand stolen so don’t leave anything on public land. We thought we were far enough back in to be able to leave our stands for a few days but evidentially not. We used his boat and came in from the lake side of the core land. Could be worth while if you were able to do some good scouting in advance

Thank you!

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: CharlieCTx] #8180046 02/22/21 02:08 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Gw123

Thank you!
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

Don’t forget 365 x 7 x 24 Hog Season down here.

Charlie

Excited about that!

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: 7mag] #8180047 02/22/21 02:09 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by 7mag
Two words "private land"

Agreed

Re: Place to hunt, new to the state [Re: mike miller] #8180054 02/22/21 02:17 PM
M
mike miller Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by TCM3
Welcome to texas

Thank you!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread