Forums46
Topics537,811
Posts9,729,407
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster #8176010 02/19/21 10:58 AM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
On Thursday, ERCOT officials said that the Texas power grid was “seconds and minutes” away from a catastrophic failure that could have left Texans in the dark for months. They should know: ERCOT is the entity that operates the power grid that covers most of the state.

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/texas-was-seconds-and-minutes-complete-disaster

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176016 02/19/21 11:09 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
They should round up who ever is in charge of ERCOT and do a public hanging

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: RedRanger] #8176021 02/19/21 11:20 AM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by RedRanger
They should round up who ever is in charge of ERCOT and do a public hanging

Yepper............China almost took TX out for a long time. I assume no refineries would have worked if that had happened also???

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176070 02/19/21 12:41 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Congratulations. You almost started another doomsday thread.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: bill oxner] #8176076 02/19/21 12:46 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by bill oxner

You gored my Ox

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176077 02/19/21 12:48 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Well ERCOT "Electric Reliability Council of Texas" sure did not live up to their name did they hammer

texas flag

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176098 02/19/21 01:16 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Didnt read article. I understand the domino effect of grid failure.

I am not, repeat not, against capatalism. We build 2500 and 3000 square foot home for two people. Swimming pools often have an electrical and natural gas mechanical load comparable to a small home. We foam insulate our homes but build a walls of windows. We are climate controlling our garages like occupied spaces.

We just keep adding loads.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Lazyjack] #8176126 02/19/21 01:39 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Lazyjack

I am not, repeat not, against capatalism. We build 2500 and 3000 square foot home for two people. Swimming pools often have an electrical and natural gas mechanical load comparable to a small home. We foam insulate our homes but build a walls of windows. We are climate controlling our garages like occupied spaces.

Was talking about that the other day. In the 50's and 60's the average house was around 1000 sqft, one bathroom, two to three small bedrooms and appliances amounted to a gas heater, stove, refrigerator and a TV. Even then my Pop was constantly running around the house turning off lights. Most families only had one vehicle at the time. We had central heat and air but the air was a swamp cooler.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176130 02/19/21 01:40 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Yep, saw zero hedge and kept scrolling

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Lazyjack] #8176133 02/19/21 01:42 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Well, we don't live in grass huts, for sure. Nor should we. Nor will I feel guilty for not doing so.

That said... ERCOT was and is responsible for having the grid in operable condition in just such an emergency.

If we were seconds away from having permanent blackouts, as they say, then they are really admitting their own failure.

This is Texas.

FIX IT!

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176135 02/19/21 01:43 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Literally thousands of people have been moving to Texas on a daily basis for years. The grid has not grown to keep up with the influx of people. Drive around any suburb, they are throwing up strip malls, apartments etc. as fast as they can pour the concrete.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: Longhunter] #8176141 02/19/21 01:46 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Longhunter
Yep, saw zero hedge and kept scrolling

Yep

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: BbarVRanch] #8176149 02/19/21 01:52 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

Well, we don't live in grass huts, for sure. Nor should we. Nor will I feel guilty for not doing so.

That said... ERCOT was and is responsible for having the grid in operable condition in just such an emergency.

If we were seconds away from having permanent blackouts, as they say, then they are really admitting their own failure.

This is Texas.

FIX IT!

I posted a graph in another thread that showed where the power loss was and where the increased power came from, all I'll say is thank GOD for natural gas. It also clearly showed what we need to do for the future. Multiple small gas turbine generators can be placed in the area about the size of a football field and with our abundance of NG throughout the state we could easily install enough to provide for any extremes.NG saved our bacon this time but even it had some problems, more turbines solve that problem. I'm not so sure we couldn't build portable units that could be moved around to area's most in need.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: HWY_MAN] #8176156 02/19/21 02:01 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Was talking about that the other day. In the 50's and 60's the average house was around 1000 sqft, one bathroom, two to three small bedrooms and appliances amounted to a gas heater, stove, refrigerator and a TV. Even then my Pop was constantly running around the house turning off lights. Most families only had one vehicle at the time. We had central heat and air but the air was a swamp cooler.

Yep.... and my dad freaked out, at a $11.00 elec bill...........
water and trash, was $2.00..........
NG, bill was $6.00 bucks in the winter..........
gas was .9 cents a gallon.........
My parents paid 10,500, for a brand new, three bed room/ bath and a half brick.........(fenced)
oh yea, one car attached garage.......
1962, White Settlement.............
First house, I ever lived in that had, central air............
And my father, still stuck a swamp cooler in the window.... Said the central cost too much
to run...........
My mother, was a car hop....(Old Coral,restaurant) My father, was an airman, in the USAF..........
But, that was back when bologna, was really good...........

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176159 02/19/21 02:04 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
You do know if the grid didn't crash, Ercot did its job. They are in there hitting buttons and pulling levers to make sure it doesn't crash.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: bill oxner] #8176165 02/19/21 02:09 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner

clap

roflmao

To be determined
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: S.A. hunter] #8176169 02/19/21 02:12 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
You do know if the grid didn't crash, Ercot did its job. They are in there hitting buttons and pulling levers to make sure it doesn't crash.

And how many homes, and business' lost power? Try again!

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: S.A. hunter] #8176171 02/19/21 02:12 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

If your truck doesn’t crash does that mean you did your job?? No, it could mean you never left the house.

I really hope your comment was sarcasm but I feel it wasn’t.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: JCB] #8176176 02/19/21 02:15 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by JCB

If your truck doesn’t crash does that mean you did your job?? No, it could mean you never left the house.

I really hope your comment was sarcasm but I feel it wasn’t.

If my truck wasn't loaded is it my fault the store don't get product?

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: S.A. hunter] #8176185 02/19/21 02:18 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Umm...

ERCOT = Electric Reliability Council Of Texas.

Their job is to insure it doesn't get to that point.

Fail...

As Hwy Man said, the NG sources we have, combined with the technology we have now, there's no excuse.

I have seen Marathon Oil build their own electric grid throughout the Eagle Ford run on NG from wells, right on the central facility pads. The electric companies were overwhelmed, and electric was months if not years away. But Marathon solved it.

https://www.globalpwr.com/products-page/natural-gas-generators/waukesha-4mw-power-plant/

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: BbarVRanch] #8176199 02/19/21 02:23 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

This is Texas.

FIX IT!

I didnt say feel guilty. I dont feel guilty when I hit the remote button on my electric gate opener.
I am just commenting we keep adding loads to our utilities, water and electric. Small cities see the build boom good for the tax base. Some areas seem to do a better job of planning. Some don't. I dont have an answer. I am just telling my opinion.

I have been on remodel additions, when we started the equipment, the transformer on the pole blew. Not the fuse, the transformer.

In some cases, maybe planners should say not yet. All anove my pay grade .

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: BbarVRanch] #8176206 02/19/21 02:27 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Umm...

ERCOT = Electric Reliability Council Of Texas.

Their job is to insure it doesn't get to that point.

Fail...

As Hwy Man said, the NG sources we have, combined with the technology we have now, there's no excuse.

I have seen Marathon Oil build their own electric grid throughout the Eagle Ford run on NG from wells, right on the central facility pads. The electric companies were overwhelmed, and electric was months if not years away. But Marathon solved it.

Power plants need some work, which they knew before, but didn't do anything about....... this goes from Ercot board, to the rail road commission, to the state. Where the motion failed last time I dont know, but it needs to get all the way through this time.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: S.A. hunter] #8176218 02/19/21 02:35 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Agree.

They know loads are increasing.

If they don't fix it, it will continue to get progressively worse. In fact it is getting much worse, every time it happens now.

Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: fadetoblack64] #8176237 02/19/21 02:45 PM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I just heard this morning on News Max that five of the top officials in ERCOT don’t even live in Texas. WTF

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Texas Was "Seconds And Minutes" From Complete Disaster [Re: JimBridger] #8176242 02/19/21 02:47 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by Pappybear
I just heard this morning on News Max that five of the top officials in ERCOT don’t even live in Texas. WTF

I was told here yesterday that fact doesn't matter......exactly, WTF are foreigners doing on that board.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide