Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8170253 02/15/21 01:25 AM
S
StephenB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Hmmm... By then maybe enough liberals will have left California that it can turn red.

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8170290 02/15/21 01:59 AM
G
Gary Olson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I already made that decision. Property taxes already out of control from progressive tax mentality in TX.

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175568 02/18/21 11:51 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Tried couple years ago to talk the Other Half into moving to Pocatello Idaho....1/2 way 'tween Sun Valley, Salt Lake City and Jellystone Nat'l Park...but no go on her part. and I got over 50 years together invested in her ..oh well. It's been a while, 20+ years, but back then I had the worst job I ever had for couple years, followed by of several similar smaller sales territory's in consumer products traveling full time in 33 some states, from Vegas to Charlotte & Raliegh based in Dallas & doing couple of weeks long bidnizz Show Events in NYC. We had moved back to Dallas - my 3rd generation home town - from Chicago, after being in a state wide territory based in Jax Fla where I had also covered all of Florida state wide & parts of the surrounding states on a fill in basis. Back then in the early '70's Jax was taken over by the Feds when 24+ City & County officials went to prison for all kinds of fraud and Jax was Re Birth'ed as Duval County.

Based on that out of date experience, in answer to this ?? ....today I'd move to southern Arizona around Tuscon next week in a heart beat, or mebbe western Colorado or eastern Utah, or skip all of the Mid Western & Old South states and look hard at the Roanoke Valley or coastal Virginia, or for sure coastal North Carolina especially the area just inland anywhere along the Pamlico Sound, 1st choice is west of Morehead City, from Cherry Point Marine Air Base. Never been to Maine but dinnit leave anything elsewhere in New England I ever have to go back for. tried couple yearsd ago to talk the other half into moving to

Could think about Oregon or Washington state... my youngest son almost moved up there from college and talked incessantly about it, after travelling most of the west coast while playing collegiate soccer for San Jose State, so could be interested in only those 2 N'western states based on other friends & competitors attitudes about them. Oh Well that was then when the world was still my Oyster for the adventure. My family on both sides are 3 & 4 generation Texas....and my wife is the grand daughter of a pair of brothers who made The Run from the Kansas Line to found OKC & later Nichols Hills. The older brother moved on to southern Cali in the late 'Teens and became mega successful with 100+ car dealerships in So' Cal & until he was defeated by Nixon for his Congressional seat on the 2nd try in '48 and the old man retired.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 02/19/21 12:51 AM. Reason: Gud Spealling is not my favorite thing

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175605 02/19/21 12:08 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
when Texas falls , they all fall. Which is why the powers that be are packing them all in Texas.

[Linked Image]
Re: Next best state ? [Re: Tin Head] #8175613 02/19/21 12:10 AM
B
Biscuit Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Tin Head
when Texas falls , they all fall. Which is why the powers that be are packing them all in Texas.

Good point

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Gary Olson] #8175618 02/19/21 12:15 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gary Olson
I already made that decision. Property taxes already out of control from progressive tax mentality in TX.

There's a gubernatorial candidate who wants to rid Texas of property taxes.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175626 02/19/21 12:22 AM
M
MBradford Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

I don't recall other states having widespread power outages this week like Texas.

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175628 02/19/21 12:24 AM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Governor planned the outage to slow down the immigration from other states - I assumed that was widespread knowledge. roflmao

Re: Next best state ? [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8175645 02/19/21 12:34 AM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
Governor planned the outage to slow down the immigration from other states - I assumed that was widespread knowledge. roflmao

Nice one
clap

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175649 02/19/21 12:37 AM
71Rcode Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
We are looking at Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Which has a better chance of remaining red for the next 30 years?

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Next best state ? [Re: 71Rcode] #8175655 02/19/21 12:41 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
We are looking at Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Which has a better chance of remaining red for the next 30 years?

Oklahoma IMO,

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175686 02/19/21 12:58 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Alabama, or Florida

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175811 02/19/21 02:30 AM
C
Canvasback Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
SC

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Tin Head] #8175855 02/19/21 02:57 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

Yes, Sir. At the present rate, they can't fail.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Next best state ? [Re: MBradford] #8175968 02/19/21 06:14 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by MBradford

I don't recall other states having widespread power outages this week like Texas.

Point taken but,

I don't recall other states having their own power grid to take care of. Every other state in this nation can suck off the tit of their neighbors and the rest of the Country if they get in a bind. We "Texas" (not you) don't need help from the federal government or neighboring states. What we need to do is figure out exactly what happened and why, then get our [censored] together and fix it. And we will do that. Lots of people out there throwing out lots of emotional accusations in all directions right now about why, and most are ignorant of how things work. Just like gun control.

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8175978 02/19/21 07:12 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The other states bordering Texas also rolling blackouts. Not as severe as Texas, but still rolling blackouts. We also were the stopping point, and this is a long way from normal weather.

New Mexico https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/xcel-energy-to-hold-controlled-outages-in-eastern-new-mexico/

Oklahoma https://oklahoman.com/article/56824...-time-across-grid-that-includes-oklahoma

Arkansas https://www.kark.com/news/local-new...onfirm-rolling-power-outages-have-begun/

Louisiana https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...ackouts-to-customers-across-service-area

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Next best state ? [Re: dogcatcher] #8175984 02/19/21 07:25 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
The other states bordering Texas also rolling blackouts. Not as severe as Texas, but still rolling blackouts. We also were the stopping point, and this is a long way from normal weather.

New Mexico https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/xcel-energy-to-hold-controlled-outages-in-eastern-new-mexico/

Oklahoma https://oklahoman.com/article/56824...-time-across-grid-that-includes-oklahoma

Arkansas https://www.kark.com/news/local-new...onfirm-rolling-power-outages-have-begun/

Louisiana https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...ackouts-to-customers-across-service-area

Not even close to relevant as far as what Texas has been dealing with, Sir.

I can only hope that we can get this fixed, and won't happen again. I understand that this is a rare occurrence, but still embarrassing.

I remember the big freeze of 83 & 89. We never lost power. We never ran out of f'ng toilet paper. We kept living and ate ice cycles.

People are [censored] stupid today.

Re: Next best state ? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8176079 02/19/21 12:50 PM
M
Mako My Day Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Tried couple years ago to talk the Other Half into moving to Pocatello Idaho....1/2 way 'tween Sun Valley, Salt Lake City and Jellystone Nat'l Park...but no go on her part. and I got over 50 years together invested in her ..oh well. It's been a while, 20+ years, but back then I had the worst job I ever had for couple years, followed by of several similar smaller sales territory's in consumer products traveling full time in 33 some states, from Vegas to Charlotte & Raliegh based in Dallas & doing couple of weeks long bidnizz Show Events in NYC. We had moved back to Dallas - my 3rd generation home town - from Chicago, after being in a state wide territory based in Jax Fla where I had also covered all of Florida state wide & parts of the surrounding states on a fill in basis. Back then in the early '70's Jax was taken over by the Feds when 24+ City & County officials went to prison for all kinds of fraud and Jax was Re Birth'ed as Duval County.

Based on that out of date experience, in answer to this ?? ....today I'd move to southern Arizona around Tuscon next week in a heart beat, or mebbe western Colorado or eastern Utah, or skip all of the Mid Western & Old South states and look hard at the Roanoke Valley or coastal Virginia, or for sure coastal North Carolina especially the area just inland anywhere along the Pamlico Sound, 1st choice is west of Morehead City, from Cherry Point Marine Air Base. Never been to Maine but dinnit leave anything elsewhere in New England I ever have to go back for. tried couple yearsd ago to talk the other half into moving to

Could think about Oregon or Washington state... my youngest son almost moved up there from college and talked incessantly about it, after travelling most of the west coast while playing collegiate soccer for San Jose State, so could be interested in only those 2 N'western states based on other friends & competitors attitudes about them. Oh Well that was then when the world was still my Oyster for the adventure. My family on both sides are 3 & 4 generation Texas....and my wife is the grand daughter of a pair of brothers who made The Run from the Kansas Line to found OKC & later Nichols Hills. The older brother moved on to southern Cali in the late 'Teens and became mega successful with 100+ car dealerships in So' Cal & until he was defeated by Nixon for his Congressional seat on the 2nd try in '48 and the old man retired.
Ron

We just closed on our new place in Merritt, NC. Water views from almost every window, low taxes and insurance, even with the income tax, still come out ahead of where we were in Tiki island. 3 acres and a 2500 sq foot house with a 2500 sq foot workshop, 15 year mortgage, getting set up for retirement. God bless Texas, but we were paying $20 K a year in taxes and insurance on the house, not sustainable in retirement.

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Mako My Day] #8176193 02/19/21 02:21 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mako My Day
We just closed on our new place in Merritt, NC. Water views from almost every window, low taxes and insurance, even with the income tax, still come out ahead of where we were in Tiki island. 3 acres and a 2500 sq foot house with a 2500 sq foot workshop, 15 year mortgage, getting set up for retirement. God bless Texas, but we were paying $20 K a year in taxes and insurance on the house, not sustainable in retirement.

There is a reason Texas ranks #9 in outbound migration for retirees. I found the exact same situation as you when I moved to Alabama 6 years ago.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8176511 02/19/21 04:44 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Southeast Tennessee o0r Idaho.

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8177178 02/20/21 12:14 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Oklahoma or Idaho
I'd love to go back to Alaska but I think that dream is over

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8177191 02/20/21 12:21 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Too late for us to make that kind of move in our late '70's. We'd spent 11 years at the cabin over looking the Little Mineral Arm of Lake Texoma to see if/when I was gonna get past the multiple med issues VA Dallas was not capable of fixing, and wound up in Palestine Texas to get me into Temple VA with it's backup specialty doc's from Baylor Scott& White 6 blocks away, and starting over. Ya'll ...DO NOT Wait if you have these kinda dreams. Now days we find our thrill's in chasing home run goodies the Antique & Home Decor bidnizz .... going to memorials.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Next best state ? [Re: WileyCoyote] #8177217 02/20/21 12:39 AM
B
Biscuit Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Too late for us to make that kind of move in our late '70's. We'd spent 11 years at the cabin over looking the Little Mineral Arm of Lake Texoma to see if/when I was gonna get past the multiple med issues VA Dallas was not capable of fixing, and wound up in Palestine Texas to get me into Temple VA with it's backup specialty doc's from Baylor Scott& White 6 blocks away, and starting over. Ya'll ...DO NOT Wait if you have these kinda dreams. Now days we find our thrill's in chasing home run goodies the Antique & Home Decor bidnizz .... going to memorials.
Ron

Good advice sir

Re: Next best state ? [Re: Biscuit] #8177392 02/20/21 02:21 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Never thought about it and I doubt I will.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide