Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Enough [Re: Mike Honcho] #8171813 02/16/21 05:53 AM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jorge
So at what point is it gouging and not making a profit?

I think that answers clear, as soon as the price offends 1 person..

Re: Enough [Re: The Dude Abides] #8171851 02/16/21 10:20 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by Longhorn74
I walked into a local retailer I have traded with for a long time last week. I picked up 500 Hornady XTP 45 acp projectiles and a brick of large pistol primers and a brick of small rifle primers. I thanked the owner for the fact there was no markup. He told me he plans to be there a long time and people have a long memory. He also commented the price gougers buying retail and reselling at exorbitant prices have done more to disarm US citizens than anything the current administration is doing. Then he said “only a fool does business with someone that is looking to kick him in the nuts”...

Now this is the way business should be done! Thank you for showing the correct business approach! And if you don’t think folk’s have long memories just ask how well Cheaper Than Dirt held out after their last ammo price gouging fiasco a few years back!

"No Mark-Up"...then you're in business as a hobby and he won't be around long. Profit has to be made to keep the lights on and pay the bills. Only a "fool" will operate at a loss.

I paid full retail at an established reloading store that has been around for a long time. Primers were $38/1,000. 230 Grain XTP’s were $36/100. This retailer said there was plenty of meat on the bone at those prices. Higher than they were a year ago. In line with increases from manufacturers. Not kicking his customers in the nuts. Long term business model.
Regularly buying at retail with the purpose to mark that way up, commonly double or more over current retail to resell. Yeah really, that is price gouging. Dealing with with the slimy secondary sellers is akin to going to a loanshark for money...

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02/16/21 12:01 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Enough [Re: Smokey Bear] #8171913 02/16/21 12:34 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I walked into a local retailer I have traded with for a long time last week. I picked up 500 Hornady XTP 45 acp projectiles and a brick of large pistol primers and a brick of small rifle primers. I thanked the owner for the fact there was no markup. He told me he plans to be there a long time and people have a long memory. He also commented the price gougers buying retail and reselling at exorbitant prices have done more to disarm US citizens than anything the current administration is doing. Then he said “only a fool does business with someone that is looking to kick him in the nuts”...

Now this is the way business should be done! Thank you for showing the correct business approach! And if you don’t think folk’s have long memories just ask how well Cheaper Than Dirt held out after their last ammo price gouging fiasco a few years back!

"No Mark-Up"...then you're in business as a hobby and he won't be around long. Profit has to be made to keep the lights on and pay the bills. Only a "fool" will operate at a loss.

I paid full retail at an established reloading store that has been around for a long time. Primers were $38/1,000. 230 Grain XTP’s were $36/100. This retailer said there was plenty of meat on the bone at those prices. Higher than they were a year ago. In line with increases from manufacturers. Not kicking his customers in the nuts. Long term business model.
Regularly buying at retail with the purpose to mark that way up, commonly double or more over current retail to resell. Yeah really, that is price gouging. Dealing with with the slimy secondary sellers is akin to going to a loanshark for money...

...and a store isn't "a guy"...

"A guy" doesn't have to worry about long term business models.

Two entirely different discussions.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8172067 02/16/21 03:31 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Smokey where is this magical store ? I need CCi 450s - willing to drive to get them

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Enough [Re: Pig_Popper] #8172079 02/16/21 03:38 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Smokey where is this magical store ? I need CCi 450s - willing to drive to get them

I highly doubt you get the secret location, every swinging pecker in Texas would be wiping them out daily.

Re: Enough [Re: Smokey Bear] #8172129 02/16/21 04:21 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

I think you need to educate yourself and look up that word "gouging". No such thing when it comes to "non-essential" items.

So the retailer did "mark-up" the items you bought. He probably had 10-15 points on the stuff he sold you. What happens when he can't get re-supply? When he has nothing to sell? How's he going to pay the bills and keep his doors open. You know how many shops have closed because they have no inventory?

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 02/16/21 04:22 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Enough [Re: Ol Thumper] #8172226 02/16/21 05:16 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Hey Gunner, you trying to fuel the panic for personal gain? Next weekend is the gun show in Nac. You think there will be an overly large supply of overpriced ammo there? You think there will be enough folks willing to let the gougers kick them in the nuts that it all sells? My prediction is no it won’t all sell.
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

I highly doubt you get the secret location, every swinging pecker in Texas would be wiping them out daily.

Yeah, I can’t put that on the net, The secondary sellers will have their runners camped out waiting for them to open. As soon as components are readily available to the people they will be left holding the bag. They know it and are working to drag this thing out as long as they can in order to prey on the rest of us. I fear their actions will ultimately lead to public support of legislation banning private individuals from selling ammunition and components.

Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8172234 02/16/21 05:23 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
You can PM me store info - please

[Linked Image]

Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8172241 02/16/21 05:29 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Why don’t you ask to sleep with his wife while your at it, get out their yourself and find the items you seek. Damn folks are lazy these days..

Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8172244 02/16/21 05:32 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
TXGUNNER 308 said:
“I think you need to educate yourself and look up that word “gouging” “.

Here you go. Cut and paste from the dictionary-

verb (used without object), gouged, goug·ing.
to engage in extortion, overcharging, or swindling:
I bought a lot of my clothes there before they began gouging.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02/16/21 05:43 PM.

Re: Enough [Re: Ol Thumper] #8172260 02/16/21 05:46 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Why don’t you ask to sleep with his wife while your at it, get out their yourself and find the items you seek. Damn folks are lazy these days..

I’ve been on the hunt across 5 counties for 3 months - leave the wives out of this

Re: Enough [Re: Pig_Popper] #8172264 02/16/21 05:47 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B

[Linked Image]

Odds are extremely high that the store doesn't exist. Who seriously believes a store has primers in stock at normal prices 10 months into a buying binge by the public?

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: Enough [Re: Pig_Popper] #8172265 02/16/21 05:47 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
[quote=Ol Thumper]Why don’t you ask to sleep with his wife while your at it, get out their yourself and find the items you seek. Damn folks are lazy these days..

I’ve been on the hunt across 5 counties for 3 months - leave the wives out of this[/quote

Welcome home... You should have spent more on supplies and less on hunting trips..

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 02/16/21 06:02 PM.
Re: Enough [Re: blkt2] #8172268 02/16/21 05:50 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by blkt2

[Linked Image]

Odds are extremely high that the store doesn't exist. Who seriously believes a store has primers in stock at normal prices 10 months into a buying binge by the public?

Shops do exist, my local shop has them all the time. Most people these days are to lazy to put in the time to look and sit at home on the inner web wanting something to fall in their lap. Your semi local so if you need any primers shoot me a pm.

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 02/16/21 06:01 PM.
Re: Enough [Re: Ol Thumper] #8172298 02/16/21 06:10 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
[quote=Ol Thumper]Why don’t you ask to sleep with his wife while your at it, get out their yourself and find the items you seek. Damn folks are lazy these days..

I’ve been on the hunt across 5 counties for 3 months - leave the wives out of this[/quote

Welcome home... You should have spent more on supplies and less on hunting trips..

I’m able to do both quite easily , just leave an hour early for any given trip and stop in and check for primers at a few places.

I’ve been able to find powder and brass and such without any issue - it’s just the primers that are unavailable.

Heck I could switch brands but everything I’ve load developed for is suited to this particular brand

Was just trying to find a new place to add to my trip / routes

Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8172307 02/16/21 06:21 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Let me see how many 450’s I have, shoot me a pm in a little while. I have no issues helping anyone out if they at least put in some work to find stuff.

Re: Enough [Re: Smokey Bear] #8172335 02/16/21 06:43 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
TXGUNNER 308 said:

Po Po...no one is forcing you to buy anything. Your primers are NOT a NEED like food, fuel, water and shelter. If you don't like the price then walk away, it's your money, keep it in your pocket and quit eff'n _itching.

I have not been to a gun show in years. They are a waste of time. The internet killed the gun show years ago. Of course there will be people buying and selling. Some items will sell and some won't...what's your point?

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8172368 02/16/21 07:12 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I feel like I've seen this episode before.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Enough [Re: The Dude Abides] #8172451 02/16/21 08:53 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

X2.
Gunner and me are obviously standing on different sides of the fence about price gouging. My sympathy lies with fellow shooters and firearms owners. Gunner seems to want to seize the opportunity to kick them while they are down. We all walk our own paths I guess.
TXGUNNER 308 said:

Po Po...no one is forcing you to buy anything. Your primers are NOT a NEED like food, fuel, water and shelter. If you don't like the price then walk away, it's your money, keep it in your pocket and quit eff'n _itching.

I have not been to a gun show in years. They are a waste of time. The internet killed the gun show years ago. Of course there will be people buying and selling. Some items will sell and some won't...what's your point?

You typed that I needed to educate myself and look up “gouging”. I humored you and looked it up. Yep, my usage of gouging was consistent with the definition. So I posted the meaning to educate you. Absolutely nobody has claimed their survival hinges on buying ammunition or components. What was your point there?

What is my point? Ok, “only a fool and a prostitute does business with someone that is screwing them”.

Re: Enough [Re: Smokey Bear] #8172459 02/16/21 09:03 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

X2.
Gunner and me are obviously standing on different sides of the fence about price gouging. My sympathy lies with fellow shooters and firearms owners. Gunner seems to want to seize the opportunity to kick them while they are down. We all walk our own paths I guess.
TXGUNNER 308 said:

You typed that I needed to educate myself and look up “gouging”. I humored you and looked it up. Yep, my usage of gouging was consistent with the definition. So I posted the meaning to educate you. Absolutely nobody has claimed their survival hinges on buying ammunition or components. What was your point there?

What is my point? Ok, “only a fool and a prostitute does business with someone that is screwing them”.

"
No, your usage was NOT consistent with the word. You were NOT swindled, overcharged or forced to pay an inflated price. "You were NOT gouged". You shopped around and found a deal that suited your budget. A high asking price is just that..."an asking price" and you made an informed decision.

Let's look at it another way...let's say 10 years ago you paid $250K for your house. Now your selling and asking $450K. Can i accuse you of "gouging", overcharging, or swindling? The answer is no...I have a choice. If you house in alignment with market conditions then I buy it. If not then I move on to the next one. BTW...housing (shelter) is considered an "essential" item.

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 02/16/21 09:27 PM.

Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8173151 02/17/21 02:32 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Sure there are some buy it now prices on gunbroker but for the most part it is an auction. The buyers are setting the price not the sellers. I don’t see how you can fault the sellers.

I have been going through my inventory and selling stuff that I don’t need and buying stuff that I do need. I listed some 20 round boxes of ammo in an auction starting at $30 a box. They ended up selling for over a hundred per box. What was I supposed to do end the auction early so I didn’t gouge someone?

Re: Enough [Re: Sewer rat] #8173378 02/17/21 05:34 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Sure there are some buy it now prices on gunbroker but for the most part it is an auction. The buyers are setting the price not the sellers. I don’t see how you can fault the sellers.

I have been going through my inventory and selling stuff that I don’t need and buying stuff that I do need. I listed some 20 round boxes of ammo in an auction starting at $30 a box. They ended up selling for over a hundred per box. What was I supposed to do end the auction early so I didn’t gouge someone?

That's exactly what I've been doing. Getting rid of ammo I have no use for. I sold some 10MM, .38Spl, 300BO and 308 for stupid money. Bidders drove up the price.

Re: Enough [Re: The Dude Abides] #8174195 02/18/21 01:44 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

X2.
TXGUNNER 308 said:

"
No, your usage was NOT consistent with the word. You were NOT swindled, overcharged or forced to pay an inflated price. "You were NOT gouged". You shopped around and found a deal that suited your budget. A high asking price is just that..."an asking price" and you made an informed decision.

Let's look at it another way...let's say 10 years ago you paid $250K for your house. Now your selling and asking $450K. Can i accuse you of "gouging", overcharging, or swindling? The answer is no...I have a choice. If you house in alignment with market conditions then I buy it. If not then I move on to the next one. BTW...housing (shelter) is considered an "essential" item.

Very good analogy.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Enough [Re: The Dude Abides] #8174460 02/18/21 07:06 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Sewer rat

That's exactly what I've been doing. Getting rid of ammo I have no use for. I sold some 10MM, .38Spl, 300BO and 308 for stupid money. Bidders drove up the price.

It was obviously you fault that the price went so high. You're just greedy. grin

I still have no respect for those folks that are in line at the store every day to buy their allotment of ammo a d then sell it for 4x what they paid for it.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Enough [Re: Longhorn74] #8180330 02/22/21 06:27 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Seems like I already read this post back when Obama was here, then a few months ago again.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide