Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,969
Posts9,731,185
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power unit to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again tonite. #8170306 02/15/21 02:11 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Last time we got a small 4" + snow storm last month, we lost power due to a fallen tree limb for about 30 hours. This time the weather guesser's are calling for 6" to 10"s here in Anderson County. It goes without saying I am expecting to loose power again for who knows how long this time given the size of the weather impact area. So I started looking on line at the "emergency" power options and what was what for something that could also be used as a power source for other uses, and stay under $1000.

Last Thursday we had a flood in the house from a plumber's mistake and had 2/3rd's of the house get wet. Good Insurance coverage will allow us to recover in 4-6 weeks but meanwhile we are trying to get everything underway and don't really have time or any extra $'s for a Generac Full House type of Emergency power options at pushing high $4 to $5K, with the budget already committed to getting past the flood damage incurred last week.

So the ? is how much do I need to buy in the way of a portable power generator for the remaining Flood Free 500sq ft area of the 2300' house we are living in for the next month+ and stay under a $1000. I'd also like to be able to use the Generator for other use's as well. Any and all response's would be appreciated.

Ya'll stay warm ..if I wanted to live in weather like this way every week or so, I'd move to Alaska...just sayin'....
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 02/15/21 02:26 AM. Reason: clarity of the problem

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: WileyCoyote] #8170313 02/15/21 02:16 AM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What type home heater do you have?

Make America Great Again

Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: WileyCoyote] #8170317 02/15/21 02:23 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My Grandad has a 12,000 watt (14000 watt max) dual fuel DuroMax generator from Lowes. Runs his small chest freezer, fridge and 2 space heaters in his Camper. At least.
There are some websites that will calculate the total of starting watts you need to run certain items.
He payed around 1200 for it.18 HP DuroMax (Chinese, either Zongshen or Loncin engine) so fairly reliable.
I'd want or a Kohler or Honda powered generator.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: WileyCoyote] #8170319 02/15/21 02:28 AM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I would be very surprised if you can find a generator for sale at this time --------- seems that all heaters ( of any type) are sold out, and I suspect it is the same for generators.

Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: Tbar] #8170322 02/15/21 02:29 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Central Heat & Air... built in 1967...
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: WileyCoyote] #8170323 02/15/21 02:30 AM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ron, sorry to hear about the flood damage and hope your insurance carrier takes care of you. FWIW. We bought a Champion 4350 watt. Dual fuel. It's currently set to run off of propane and ready to go as rolling blackout's are a concern. It's not a quiet unit,, but will run a couple of space heater's, TV and enough light's to keep us comfortable.

We bought it new for $500.00

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: booskay] #8170326 02/15/21 02:32 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Yup, several I looked at on Amazon showed No Product Available but there are some choices in stock & shipped in 3 days for free.
Ron

Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: WileyCoyote] #8170329 02/15/21 02:34 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Might consider one of these

http://www.generlink.com/

Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: WileyCoyote] #8170331 02/15/21 02:34 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
You just need to figure out your power needs. I looked today again at my frig and freezer. Frig is 6.5, freezer 5, total = 11.5 amps, or 1,380 watts. I have propane water heater and gas logs. So after those two appliances everything else is very low amperage. I have a 5500 watt Northstar, which is Northern Tool's own brand with a Honda engine. It was over a $1,000 many years ago.

Here's an energy calculator.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.html

Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: WileyCoyote] #8170334 02/15/21 02:36 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Amazon is backed up. I had a delivery that was due today and it's been pushed out to 2/16.

Re: Pro's & Con's of alternative portable emergency power units to use as a back up?? expecting to loose power again like ge [Re: janie] #8170358 02/15/21 02:54 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Janie, Thanks for that overview as it's about what I am looking for info wise. So the dual fuel option is functionally worth while?...I've got mebbe half a dozen bottles left over from various BBQ cooker's. Noise I understand is to be expected from the various brand's descriptions.

Traveler's is my Home Insurance and has been super to work with. They got Service Master on scene in 1 day to start the Dry Out procedure - try sleeping with 13 blowers around the house trying to suck all the humidity out of the air ... and have been easy to work with in adjusting our response's with little or no confusion, even adding $'s to our side of the Claim for our efforts in moving 15+ pieces of furniture outside to the patio our selves that 1st nite . We have a small antique & furniture business and the wife likes to cleanup and do minor restoration of product for prep to before displaying the product at the store in the middle of the 40'x 14' Great Room....and we've been busy hitting the auctions since Christmas getting ready for the Spring Selling Season, so the center of the sunken Great Room is/was full to the brim of product ...and Travelers added $'s to the our side of the Claim for our efforts.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide