Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167023 02/12/21 08:54 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I've driven 1.7 million miles with no accidents, and I could guarantee you I would of been in that pileup with all the others because I know I can't control a big truck on a sheet of ice..... I'm human.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: S.A. hunter] #8167026 02/12/21 08:57 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
I am not saying they could have stopped. I am saying that these vehicles were driving too fast for conditions. I will tell you right now, I will put any amount of money you want on it. There will be lawsuits filed and judgements granted against multiple parties saying citing the drivers driving too fast for conditions.

I'm sure you could of pulled off what 133 others couldn't.......sure, okay.....

Yes, you are right. I would have made the choice not to drive in the toll lanes. The same choice I made when I did not get in the toll lanes on 183 or on 635 on my way to work.

The one thing every one of those drivers had in common was they got in the toll lanes. Who generally gets in the toll lanes? People that want to drive faster than the flow of traffic on the highway.

Of course I dont know what each one of them had going through their minds, but they each made the decision to get in the toll lanes. A death trap that you cant get out of on a good day.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: S.A. hunter] #8167029 02/12/21 08:59 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
I've driven 1.7 million miles with no accidents, and I could guarantee you I would of been in that pileup with all the others because I know I can't control a big truck on a sheet of ice..... I'm human.

I will bet that you wouldnt have made the decision to get in the toll lanes either. Because that is what a safe driver does. Know your out, in the toll lanes there are no outs.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: Bullfrog] #8167035 02/12/21 09:06 PM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Bullfrog

I was driving through DFW at the same time, they knew. The whole of dfw was a sheet of Ice. On top of that, there was a winter weather advisory. The drivers knew or should have known.

If what you say is true, why were the highways still open? Especially the elevated parts? And if you knew the city was a sheet of ice. Then why were you on the road?

The treated roads were fine. I’m tellin y’all, this section was missed.

Is there a law that says they have to be treated? Or is it just a safety courtesy? Who is responsible for treating is it private contractors or actual Txdot?

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167041 02/12/21 09:10 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I drive that section of highway, in the Express lanes, quite a bit on my way to meetings downtown. As others have mentioned, it is a downhill section, but also, as traffic goes under 28th Street, the highway bends slightly to the left making that upcoming section to Northside Drive out of the line of sight for the most part. Also, yesterday, the roads were fairly clear up in the Alliance area, so lots of folks who may have been coming from the north, Denton, Roanoke, Keller, etc., might have had a false sense for the road conditions. 75 mph limit there as well. Slow down people...

Tragic for all involved and RIP for those who lost their lives.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: jskin] #8167042 02/12/21 09:10 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jskin

I was driving through DFW at the same time, they knew. The whole of dfw was a sheet of Ice. On top of that, there was a winter weather advisory. The drivers knew or should have known.

If what you say is true, why were the highways still open? Especially the elevated parts? And if you knew the city was a sheet of ice. Then why were you on the road?

Is there a law that says they have to be treated? Or is it just a safety courtesy? Who is responsible for treating is it private contractors or actual Txdot?

I dont think that there is a law saying it has to be treated but cant find anything to cite.

I will tell you that the lines are definitely gray here because NTTA is responsible for the maintenance of toll roads, and this happened on the toll lanes.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167046 02/12/21 09:11 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
A friend of mine said he saw a statement by a state rep that is pivoting the blame at the express lane owner/entity stating txdot has been warning of the no shoulder condition for a while. I tried to find something on it and could not. Anyone seen that?

If that's true I'm sorry but someone at txdot had to approve the original plan.

Last edited by ducknbass; 02/12/21 09:14 PM.
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: Dalroo] #8167047 02/12/21 09:12 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dalroo
I drive that section of highway, in the Express lanes, quite a bit on my way to meetings downtown. As others have mentioned, it is a downhill section, but also, as traffic goes under 28th Street, the highway bends slightly to the left making that upcoming section to Northside Drive out of the line of sight for the most part. Also, yesterday, the roads were fairly clear up in the Alliance area, so lots of folks who may have been coming from the north, Denton, Roanoke, Keller, etc., might have had a false sense for the road conditions. 75 mph limit there as well. Slow down people...

Tragic for all involved and RIP for those who lost their lives.

Everyone can agree that this is tragic.

Definitely slow down. Current weather shows 3 degrees on Sunday and snowing in the mid cities.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: Ktexas14] #8167050 02/12/21 09:12 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I will bet that you wouldnt have made the decision to get in the toll lanes either. Because that is what a safe driver does. Know your out, in the toll lanes there are no outs.

You are 100% correct, but my reason for telling my two buddies not to take the toll roads in Austin on their way to Temple was because there would be less traffic on the tolls allowing ice to form faster, and to stay on the roads that have the most traffic, thus the most heat on it. Plus I don't know who maintains the toll roads. Some drivers thought the opposite. Their thinking was that less traffic would mean less chance of an accident. We all make our own decisions.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167077 02/12/21 09:32 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Decisions, decisions.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167085 02/12/21 09:41 PM
R
rjf1911 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Again, when the roads are icy, and there is an express lane with no "out", close it down. Easy fix.

Done all the time on things like the High Five.

Yes, it makes things slower....but in these conditions, doesn't really matter.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: jskin] #8167088 02/12/21 09:42 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by jskin

Company called North Tarrant Express, a public/private partnership maintain the express lanes. They say they treated the roads. I have 0 knowledge of any laws stating they have to. I’d be lying if I said one way or the other.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: rjf1911] #8167090 02/12/21 09:44 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by rjf1911
Again, when the roads are icy, and there is an express lane with no "out", close it down. Easy fix.

Done all the time on things like the High Five.

Yes, it makes things slower....but in these conditions, doesn't really matter.

I like this. They had them blocked off on 183 going into Dallas after this happened

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167094 02/12/21 09:51 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Bullfrog you were on it from the start. This could be interesting....

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167097 02/12/21 09:56 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
I bet lots of tickets were written.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: Ktexas14] #8167269 02/13/21 12:14 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Gotta think out of the box. How many Box trucks do you see stuck vs big rigs.

I have worked in logistics for the last 10 years. This doesnt even compute. They are used for different things. Box trucks tend to do local deliveries, semis tend to deliver regionally or cross country. It would make sense that there are more semi trucks on the main North-South interstate for the middle of the country that spans from Mexico to almost Canada. You have pie in the sky ideas about how this works.

If your magic idea happened, your price of ALL goods would be significantly higher and significantly more delayed.

I guess FedEx and UPS hubs are "pie in the sky."

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: Jimbo1] #8167333 02/13/21 12:45 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I have worked in logistics for the last 10 years. This doesnt even compute. They are used for different things. Box trucks tend to do local deliveries, semis tend to deliver regionally or cross country. It would make sense that there are more semi trucks on the main North-South interstate for the middle of the country that spans from Mexico to almost Canada. You have pie in the sky ideas about how this works.

If your magic idea happened, your price of ALL goods would be significantly higher and significantly more delayed.

Oh my god..... not every company deals in delivery. Some have to fill up stores with trailer after trailer everyday. Some warehouses are built on the out skirts initially, but the area gets developed around them in 50 years.... what are they supposed to do? Pick up and move?

This argument reminds me of the argument on the next door app. people that bought houses next to the airport 30 years ago, and now thinks there are too many planes flying overhead. True story i chet you not...... they want the city to move the airport outside of the city limits..... yeah, okay crazy...

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167342 02/13/21 12:51 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
popcorn

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: S.A. hunter] #8167439 02/13/21 02:07 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Oh my god..... not every company deals in delivery. Some have to fill up stores with trailer after trailer everyday. Some warehouses are built on the out skirts initially, but the area gets developed around them in 50 years.... what are they supposed to do? Pick up and move?

This argument reminds me of the argument on the next door app. people that bought houses next to the airport 30 years ago, and now thinks there are too many planes flying overhead. True story i chet you not...... they want the city to move the airport outside of the city limits..... yeah, okay crazy...

I think Jimbo is on the purple drank.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8167600 02/13/21 04:17 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
At the end of the day it was a horrible design for that stretch. you have 4 seconds to be in the right place or you'll miss your turn and cars coming from every direction. IMO there is nothing short of a complete redesign that would have prevented this accident. It was a time bomb waiting to go off. Just my 2cents

That would take another 30 years, 15 for a design study, and 15 years to rework it. By then the info would be out of date.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: yotehater] #8167636 02/13/21 04:58 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by yotehater
Originally Posted by fadetoblack64
And people want flying cars.

It seems like I remembering The Jetson's sat in traffic jams too.

This made me laugh...I remember watching that show.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: Ktexas14] #8167648 02/13/21 05:11 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

The treated roads were better, they werent fine. I drove on clearly treated lanes of 635 and there were still spots with ice.

Yep, the roads weren't clear by any means where I was driving. I drove my 34 miles to work up 360 to 121, in 4wd the whole way, from 6:20-7:20 AM. Saw probably a dozen wrecked vehicles and several more in the ditches. Most of the way I went 30-45 mph and stayed waaaaayyy back of any cars. Other people were passing me like crazy. The overpasses were all icy.

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: decook] #8167653 02/13/21 05:18 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Prayers for all of the families involved.
'I did notice that all of the casualties were over 40 minus one, she was 35.

Just a weird fact.

Not to take away from anything..again prayers.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8167767 02/13/21 09:47 AM
M
MR5Hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by ducknbass
I still say ban big rigs from inside the metroplex during the worst winter weather. Whether the wreck(s) was caused by one or not they surely contributed to the deaths.

Maybe you're not sure what interstates are for.

I’ll go even further: ban big rigs from anywhere inside loop 820 during peak traffic hours. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

since there will be no deliveries, you won't have a pipe to smoke out of.

Well said sir

Re: Ft. Worth pileup [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8167768 02/13/21 10:02 AM
M
MR5Hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Create hubs to offload to smaller box trucks. I’ve thought about this for many years.

That sounds like a neat idea until you add in the extra cost.

Exactly not cost effective. Box trucks drive worse on ice than big rigs, although they would not cause same amount of damage. Always see lots of Fed Ex trucks in accidents... 1 and 2 day mail/ doubles. Pretty much force their drivers out in bad road conditions

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide