Forums46
Topics537,970
Posts9,731,224
Members87,052
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: NORML as can be] #8166789 02/12/21 05:47 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by NORML as can be

Light Bulb in the doghouse is nice for the puppy's.

Put your stash up where the dog can't get to it and bring them inside. wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8166807 02/12/21 06:09 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I'm going to stuff foam, bubble wrap, or something as an insulator into my water meter hole. I'm also going to put a tub or trash can with a cinder block on top of that.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8166816 02/12/21 06:18 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Our waterlines run down the north wall of our house. We leave the cabinet under the sink open and put a small heater in the laundry room. everything is left dripping.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8166817 02/12/21 06:19 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
For you diesel owners, put some anti-gel in the tank before Monday. That is, if you can find any.

Will a block heater take care of all that stuff if I plug it in overnight? I'm down south where it don't get cold like this but every 6 years or so. So I never had to use it.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: DannyB] #8166831 02/12/21 06:26 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Danny............if your water is trickling good inside that water meter is going to run and wont freeze up............At least I would think so.

Dripping just wont do good enough in the cold that's coming/duration under freezing. Let that faucet run pretty good. Both sides.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8166832 02/12/21 06:27 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
For you diesel owners, put some anti-gel in the tank before Monday. That is, if you can find any.

Will a block heater take care of all that stuff if I plug it in overnight? I'm down south where it don't get cold like this but every 6 years or so. So I never had to use it.

I don't think a block heater will help much with the fuel tank....

Last edited by TCM3; 02/12/21 06:27 PM.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: oldoak2000] #8166855 02/12/21 06:42 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by oldoak2000
I'm gonna recommend having at least 3 days drinking/flushing water on hand.
This is gonna be a bad one, and when things begin thawing (around Wed) there's gonna be water leaking from places you never knew they could leak from.
Maybe not you, but the other bajillion other people who did nothing - gonna tax the system.

Also, I've been doing lotsa checking with one of those non-contact thermometers - a good time (record lows) on Sun/Mon nite to see some 'stress test' numbers.
Particularly the water-temp coming from (inside) home fixtures located on outer walls!

good advice!

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: SherpaPhil] #8166862 02/12/21 06:47 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Originally Posted by TLew
My pool is running 24/7 right now in freeze guard. A note to folks with pools -- keep an eye on the water level. If it drops (especially likely if you have a heater turned on due to increased evap), the pump may kick off due to water level/skimmer back pressure. If that happens, your equipment is screwed.

I've been watching mine and went to fill it today to find a frozen spigot. Time to deal with that issue

Just went through this exact same scenario. Got everything sorted now. Good luck!

Heat gun did the trick on my side, pool is filling now and will get it all the way to the brim before I take the hose inside the shop to use later in the weekend.

I thought the heater trick mentioned earlier was overkill until I looked at my pool temp. I know flowing water doesn't freeze, but 34 degrees was a little too close for comfort. I now have my pool heater set at 40 and will leave it on till Tuesday/Wednesday.

Going to be an expensive weekend for electricity, gas, and water!

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: DannyB] #8166872 02/12/21 06:57 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by DannyB
I'm going to stuff foam, bubble wrap, or something as an insulator into my water meter hole. ......

x2- gonna fill mine with bubble-wrap today - since it's below grade if it gets wet it'll still work better than rags, and I've got the bubble wrap laying around.

gonna do the same on my house shut-off valve - it too is about 8" down, but for -2 degrees I ain't gonna take a chance.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8166876 02/12/21 07:01 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Alright..

I have 8 exterior hose bibs.

5 are just PVC coming straight up from the ground. On 2 of those I have foam insulation pipe covers around the actual pipe with a cover over the top. On the other 3 I wrapped a towel around the base, cover over the top and put a 5 gallon bucket over that.

The other three are in boxes below ground level, I stuffed those with a towel and closed up the box.

My main water line into the house has an access hatch and is about 4 feet deep. I stuffed a towel down around that and it is covered also.

My main water shutoff and meter are about a 1/4 mile down at the hwy. I haven't messed with it.

I have two water heaters in the attic that are in insulated closets. My joists (not rafters) are foam insulated and should be covering all the plumbing I believe. I will probably go check on that.

My attic only has vented soffits no other vents

I've left two sinks dripping hot and 2 dripping cold.

Anything else I can do??

Last edited by BradyBuck; 02/12/21 07:06 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8166885 02/12/21 07:07 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
smile. Preventative measures are never as expensive as CORRECTIVE ones. Price a plumber or electrician these days.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8166896 02/12/21 07:16 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

drink bourbon

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: fadetoblack64] #8166897 02/12/21 07:18 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by fadetoblack64
Danny............if your water is trickling good inside that water meter is going to run and wont freeze up............At least I would think so.

Dripping just wont do good enough in the cold that's coming/duration under freezing. Let that faucet run pretty good. Both sides.

I've decided instead of foam or bubble wrap and tub I'm going to put a styrofoam ice chest over it with a brick. And I figure we'll run water as well. Heck, I go to the bathroom so many times a night I don't think it could freeze if I left the lid off the meter cover. I drink water non-stop all day and pay for it all night.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8166898 02/12/21 07:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If you lose power and cannot keep heat going in your home, it's best to drain the pipes since they depend on radiant heat from inside the house to help keep them from freezing. Even with heat going in your home, pipes that run over unheated garages and through outside garage walls demand extra attention. I have an outside faucet that's near the end of a exterior garage wall that I always have to watch closely during severe cold snaps.

If you leave outside faucets dripping, be sure to keep an eye on them since water pressure will likely drop as more people follow that same course and when breaks occur elsewhere in the system.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/12/21 07:25 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Texas Dan] #8166908 02/12/21 07:24 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
If you lose power and cannot keep heat going in your home, it's best to drain the pipes since they depend on radiant heat from inside the house to help keep them from freezing. Even with heat going in your home, pipes that run over unheated garages and through outside garage walls demand extra attention.

If you leave outside faucets dripping, be sure to keep an eye on them since water pressure will likely drop as more people follow that same course and when breaks occur elsewhere in the system.

Nailed it.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8166914 02/12/21 07:30 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Even if you have a main water supply valve on the outside of your home, you always want to keep around the house the tool needed to turn the water off at the meter. These can be impossible to open and close without the tool with a long stem and handles so that you use both hands and arms to work the valve. These can be picked up at Home Depot, Lowe's, and other places for about $10. Look at orientation of the lock out holes on the valve lever and base to determine which way you need to turn to open and close it. While I've never seen one of these that wasn't left to open, right to close, the orientation of yourself to the value will determine which direction is correct to open and close. Checking the position of the lock out holes is always best. The holes being aligned with one another so that a lock can be placed through them is the closed position.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/12/21 07:47 PM.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: TLew] #8166932 02/12/21 07:49 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TLew
My pool is running 24/7 right now in freeze guard. A note to folks with pools -- keep an eye on the water level. If it drops (especially likely if you have a heater turned on due to increased evap), the pump may kick off due to water level/skimmer back pressure. If that happens, your equipment is screwed.
I've been watching mine and went to fill it today to find a frozen spigot. Time to deal with that issue

One other thing with pools, If you have skimmers, a main drain in the bottom of the pool and separate valves for all three, you could always turn off the valves to the skimmers and run off the main pool drain. That way it doesn't matter what the water level is around your skimmers.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Texas Dan] #8166937 02/12/21 07:51 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Even if you have a main water supply valve on the outside of your home, you always want to keep around the house the tool needed to turn the water off at the meter. These can be impossible to open and close without the tool with a long stem and handles so that you use both hands and arms to work the valve. These can be picked up at Home Depot, Lowe's, and other places for about $10. Look at orientation of the lock out holes on the valve lever and base to determine which way you need to turn to open and close it. While I've never seen one of these that wasn't left to open, right to close, the orientation of yourself to the value will determine which direction is correct to open and close. Checking the position of the lock out holes is always best. The holes being aligned with one another so that a lock can be placed through them is the closed position.

Channel lock pliers also work.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: 68rustbucket] #8166989 02/12/21 08:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

If there's enough space in the meter box to get to the meter valve and apply the necessary torque. That's why the tool works best since it gives you complete freedom with both hands, arms, and if necessary, your entire body to turn the valve lever.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Texas Dan] #8166998 02/12/21 08:38 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

If there's enough space in the meter box to get to the meter valve and apply the necessary torque. That's why the tool works best since it gives you complete freedom with both hands, arms, and if necessary, your entire body to turn the valve lever.

I use a 6" crescent.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167045 02/12/21 09:11 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I wrapped some pipes and moved plants for an elderly neighbor down the road, she gave me a big lemon off her little tree... About softball size. Maybe bigger.
[Linked Image]

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
(R-TX)
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Blank] #8167068 02/12/21 09:25 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Blank
smile. Preventative measures are never as expensive as CORRECTIVE ones. Price a plumber or electrician these days.

Yep. You can pay them now or pay them later.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167211 02/12/21 11:32 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]
DANG!

(R-TX)
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167223 02/12/21 11:36 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Whiskey , don’t forget to have extra whiskey. cheers

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167236 02/12/21 11:40 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
I have a neighbor that just had his house replumbed through the attic because it kept splitting below the slab. The forecast now is bouncing around in the single digits for tuesday night.

NIGHT
Low

One shot is all it should take.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide